Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 19:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Petrol power – My Silver Laura TSI (and a comparo with the 1st gen Corolla)

Congrats! A great review indeed.

CR films go really well with the car. Looking to get the job done on my white TSI once I figure out the authorized 3M guy here.

A small query, were 3M guys able to handle the ticket holder on windscreen well? In one of the threads, read that same was broken while installing the film.
Old 14th July 2011, 20:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Santosh! Quite a crispy review, and the Silver shade really enhance the elegance of your TSI. In my opinion, the Laura is best looking car from the Skoda stable.
Old 14th July 2011, 23:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

That's a nice review, the car looks superb indeed! Can you post in more pics of the interiors? Do they offer that DSG gearbox on the TSI yet? And one more, are the projector head lamps common to all 3 versions of the Laura?

The pic where you have shown the rear end, with the petrol cap, I thought the rear wheel looked slightly smaller in size compared to the overall height/size of the rear door/car.

Every time I look at Skoda Laura's on the road and in the pics, I am tempted to consider buying one of these in the future!
Old 15th July 2011, 09:44   #19
BHPian

@santoshbhat,

Nice,tidy review. You must be a real petrol-head to penetrate the rock hard bad reputation of Skoda and venture out to get hold of the car you actually liked.Very brave of you.

Santosh,the review is very good,the comparison with the Corolla is very interesting and informative. Could you post interior photos?

Enjoy your ownership and drive safely.

Cheers,charthom.
Old 15th July 2011, 11:01   #20
buz
BHPian

Love the review Santosh! You have detailed each and every aspect of driving this car that I too have been experiencing for the past couple of months. Especially liked the "100 to 150" observation and the "150 feels like 110" comment. It is so absolutely true. Experienced it myself on the Mumbai Pune expressway. The feeling I used to get at 90 kmph on my erstwhile Corsa was the same feeling I felt on the Laura at 130! Amazing!

Many congratulations on the purchase of this powerful machine. Welcome to the club and wish you a great driving experience. Drive safe.
Old 15th July 2011, 12:00   #21
BHPian

Congrats Santhosh! What is your take on the Classic versus the Ambiente with deleted features???

Why didnt you consider the Superb 1.8 TSi DSG?
Old 15th July 2011, 12:52   #22
BHPian

Santosh, nice review there. I was expecting a Corolla bashing when I read the title. But you have brought out the comparative points very well giving honest opinions. The Corolla is no scorcher like the TSi but the overall trouble-free experience is what is good to see. I'm not surprised though. Hopefully, the Laura will treat you equally well - and maybe go a few notches higher.

The engine performance part was interesting to read - especially the 100-150 dash and the feeling of comfort at higher speeds where the Corolla would feel noisy & strained.

Have you ever thought of adding black vinyl tapes to the B pillars of the Luara? IMHO, the body coloured B pillars make the car look too plain from the side. Most sedans would have the B pillar in black which I think adds to the look. Your car looks fabulous otherwise, can't take anything away there.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 15th July 2011 at 12:57.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:03   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Congrats Santosh and Welcome to the Laura club, a long pending Ownership experience I guess. You have a Stunner cum Scorcher, the alloys beautiful and colour is very pleasant. Wish you clock trouble free miles on your Laura, Drive Safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Congratulations!! The 16" rims from L&K look great but most people would not be able to tell them from regular 15" rims of Ambiente.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Santoshbhat, this is one of the best written ownership reviews on T-BHP. You have simple yet expressive style. I loved the objective way you compared both cars. I am fascinated by the German-vs-Japanese debate myself and your observations are spot-on!

Is that a silver Laura you have or cappucino beige? It sucks that Skoda has deleted the cool features on the Ambiente- it used to be a helluva value proposition before.
Thanks guys. Hope to engage with other Laura owners on the forum on a regular basis.

@noopster, as the title says.... its silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Santosh,

Why don't you post interior and exterior pics of your Ex and the Laura alongside?
Well the Corolla is still in the garage and may not take kindly to being called an 'Ex' . Will try and post pics by the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Congrats! A great review indeed.

CR films go really well with the car. Looking to get the job done on my white TSI once I figure out the authorized 3M guy here.

A small query, were 3M guys able to handle the ticket holder on windscreen well? In one of the threads, read that same was broken while installing the film.
Yes the ticket holder is intact. I was very specific in asking them to take care of it after I too read about them breaking it on a Bhpian's car. The good thing is that for the windshield and rear glass they fix one single sheet without any joints. I must also add that the glare during very sunny days is much reduced. and I hardly feel the need to wear shades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
That's a nice review, the car looks superb indeed! Can you post in more pics of the interiors? Do they offer that DSG gearbox on the TSI yet? And one more, are the projector head lamps common to all 3 versions of the Laura?

The pic where you have shown the rear end, with the petrol cap, I thought the rear wheel looked slightly smaller in size compared to the overall height/size of the rear door/car.

Every time I look at Skoda Laura's on the road and in the pics, I am tempted to consider buying one of these in the future!
No DSG for the TSI. I was keen on the DSG and would have definitely gone for it if it was on offer. Headlamps are common on Ambiente and Elegance. I think on L&K they have Xenon lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Congrats Santhosh! What is your take on the Classic versus the Ambiente with deleted features???

Why didnt you consider the Superb 1.8 TSi DSG?
Classic does not come with Fog lamps, rear AC vent, alloys, audio system (not sure). Some more convenience features will definitely be missing which would not be highlighted in the brochures. I actually was unhappy with the feature list on Ambiente and was keen on Elegance, hence classic was not under consideration.

THe Superb is a wonderful car and would have been worth the budget stretch. THe length of the car was the concern since I don't have dedicated parking space near my office. Finding parking for my Laura itself is a struggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Have you ever thought of adding black vinyl tapes to the B pillars of the Luara? IMHO, the body coloured B pillars make the car look too plain from the side. Most sedans would have the B pillar in black which I think adds to the look. Your car looks fabulous otherwise, can't take anything away there.
As I view it, the body coloured B pillars are an Octavia/ Laura trademark. They actually give the Laura its distinguishing look. I don't think I would want to mess with the original design.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 15th July 2011 at 14:10.
Old 15th July 2011, 14:14   #24
BHPian

Santosh great buy indeed. Its good that you have got the Skoda with fog lamps. On my recent visit to a Skoda showroom I was informed that the same has been discontinued as standard. You can add it though as an accessory.

The equipment list is a bit sparse to me - No ACC, Electrically foldable OVRM. For me those should be basic for a 15L car. Thats my two cents

Could you post some pics of the car interiors as well. Btw...the "PETROL" sticker on the fuel lid on pic 8 is looking ugly. Spoils the look of a smashing car.
Old 15th July 2011, 15:18   #25
BHPian

I'd recommend adding both the OE twin tail pipe and spolier - the enhanced look is drool maal!!!
Old 15th July 2011, 15:43   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Santosh great buy indeed. Its good that you have got the Skoda with fog lamps. On my recent visit to a Skoda showroom I was informed that the same has been discontinued as standard. You can add it though as an accessory.

The equipment list is a bit sparse to me - No ACC, Electrically foldable OVRM. For me those should be basic for a 15L car. Thats my two cents

Could you post some pics of the car interiors as well. Btw...the "PETROL" sticker on the fuel lid on pic 8 is looking ugly. Spoils the look of a smashing car.
I believe Fog lamps have been restarted on Ambiente. Only on the classic its unavailable. Adding it as an accessory too is not easy as many short changed Laura owners are finding out.

Interior pics are on their way.

I agree with you about the ugly sticker. Had it fixed after pump attendants kept directing me towards the diesel dispenser. Since I generally fill up at Shell, I was more concerned since at Shell, all machines dispense diesel as well as petrol . Some attendants pride themselves at their knowledge of cars and was even told that I was filling up the wrong fuel. Will get rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I'd recommend adding both the OE twin tail pipe and spolier - the enhanced look is drool maal!!!
Chrome exhaust tips are on the way. Waiting for the part to arrive from Skoda. Not sure about the spoiler though as I am not sure if I want to project a boy racer image.
Old 16th July 2011, 17:26   #27
BHPian

Congrats Santosh. She looks stunning in silver. But just wondering, when everyone these days seems to be moving to a diesel and price did not seem as a concern to you, i was wondering why not the diesel L&K?
Old 17th July 2011, 01:35   #28
BHPian

Contests Santosh ! Wish you lots of driving fun. Looks great ; it is a fantastic engine
Old 17th July 2011, 06:32   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrman View Post
Congrats Santosh. She looks stunning in silver. But just wondering, when everyone these days seems to be moving to a diesel and price did not seem as a concern to you, i was wondering why not the diesel L&K?
Well for one my average running in a year is just about 8 to 10K. Hence the extra price for the diesel model will offset the running cost anyway. People keep telling me that petrol prices will soon touch Rs. 100/l. If petrol price touches 100, diesel won't be far behind . The price difference is going to be pretty much constant. I thought I'd rather enjoy the TSI motor which, believe me is very very special.

The diesel L&K is about 6L costlier than the Ambiente petrol and I don't think is VFM. I know I have been ranting about the lack of features in my car, but I am a sucker for core qualities of a car like engine, suspension, NVH etc.. rather than convenience features.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 17th July 2011 at 06:38.
Old 18th July 2011, 11:29   #30
BHPian

Re: Petrol power – My Silver Skoda Laura TSI (and a comparo with the 1st gen Corolla)

Hi Santosh,

Fab choice. And given your running i agree with your decision to stick to TSI. Wish you very happy motoring.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks