Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 22:44   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd & Completed 80k on the odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
How is the sensor kit faring? Can you recount your owners experiance?

Will you recommend it to others?
The sensor's are a simple 12v application and are holding up just fine.I do have problem in the rainy season where they see things that are not there but they are ok. I recommend you get better branded ones if possible and keep this option at last.
Old 17th March 2012, 15:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

Few pics i managed to click..

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-photo0436.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-photo0437.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-photo0438.jpg
Old 22nd April 2012, 11:52   #93
Senior - BHPian

I had found the rear screen sun film a little too dark for my taste.It's 'cool' during the daytime but at time i found it difficult to see while reversing and found myslef relying solely on the reverse sensors which is not quite a good idea.So i decided to yank out the sun film from the rear glass.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-photo0446.jpg

Hoewever, i noticed the plastic fittinngs and on the right side of the rear glass had come off.Now i am not sure whether it happened due to my yanking off the sun film or it was like that before only.I tried to push it back but it didn't budge.Best would be to leave it alone and get it done from the HASS during the next service.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-photo0444.jpg

Meanwhile i kind of like the rear without the film.It kinds of make the interior more bright and not dark and also gives better visibility while reversing and even through the intenal rear view mirror.This ofcourse at the cost of a bit privacy but then the front doesn't have a sunlfilm too so what the hell.Also the Civic's a/c is powerful enough to chill even during hot summers.
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

So basically your car now has sun-films installed only in the windows and the front and rear windscreens are back to stock now. As you said, the Civic's AC is so powerful that it cools the cabin within a few minutes, even if it is parked in hot sun for a long time. I do not know whether I am ignorant, but I haven't found any difference in cooling effect before and after the films in my car.
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:32   #95
Team-BHP Support

Pulling off the sunfilm was a bad idea, now your rear defogger probably won't work so you will have to make do with a fogged rear windscreen in the monsoons.
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:47   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Pulling off the sunfilm was a bad idea, now your rear defogger probably won't work so you will have to make do with a fogged rear windscreen in the monsoons.
why would the defogger stop working if i pull out the sun film.I was gentle in removing the film and did not use any blade or anything.If films caused issues with the defogger shouldn't they not be installed in the first place.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 22nd April 2012 at 13:52.
Old 22nd April 2012, 14:36   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
why would the defogger stop working if i pull out the sun film.I was gentle in removing the film and did not use any blade or anything.If films caused issues with the defogger shouldn't they not be installed in the first place.
Removing it causes issues. Anyway the fact that it came out cleanly shows that it was a good quality film, and there is a chance your defogger will work.
Old 28th July 2012, 19:25   #98
Senior - BHPian

The car has completed 1 year with me. Last and this month has been pretty hard on the Civic and me so far.Had a accident last month leading to the entire RR door to be replaced while this month saw a Power steering pump leakage along with a rack leakge which is going to cost me a bomb to repair(car is in the service center as i type this).Along with the same i have been reported below issues in the car.

Weak Suspension
Minor boot cuts (5k)
Play in the ball joints
Sound from front wheel bearings(~18K)
Weak Battery
Remote key not functioning

I guess i will be shelling out close to 50K excluding the leakage cost over the next few months if i am going to keep the car.I actually can't decide whether i should hang on to the Civic or sell her off after the repair is done.I didn't expect so much trouble so soon.Last year when the car went in for service there were not many problems except for wornout brake pads.The km's covered between the last service and this one is just aorund ~1800 .Yes that's right it has run so low and so many problems have cropped up.And if you guys think that i might have thrashed it around then that's wrong because i drive quite carefuly.Heck i haven't exceed the 100Kmph figure in speed more than a few ocassions and had plans to keep the car for 10 years or so.

I feel hurt and let down inside.Even if i sell of the car due to the very fact it is a petrol sedan i would get poor resale value.
Old 28th July 2012, 21:13   #99
BHPian

hey sumeet

I have also sailed through the same boat,

My also rack went a bust got it repaired from outside through proper rack professional including tie rod changing for-13k
A week back got the front shocks replaced for 11k for full assembly outside the same Honda shocks only the damper costs 14k a pair

For the wheel bearing i would suggest you to get it done outside and replace the bearing of the same company which comes out of your car it will be cheaper.

Battery also i replaced this year but then thats okay the OEM battery lasted 5years which is a LOT.

Remote key problem is a simple fix, good dab of WD40 after opening the key and a new battery made my remote working like new, mumbais moisture clad climate and rough use by previous owner take toll on the keys electronics.

Can recommend the place from where i got my rack and ball joint and battery work from, Honda is expensive for rack repair.

See as of now your and my car are going from mid-age crises they will remove repairs but then see the fact that you must have saved 2L at-least as compared to buying new ANHC and that savings you can put in maintenance and fuel for the next many years atleast.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 15:09   #100
BHPian

Hi Sumeeth,
I feel sorry about your sudden bad luck with Civic, even I have a 2007 pre worshipped Civic. The Honda people are asking for replacing the suspension but i am not too sure of the need. Maybe get the tyres checked first for their becoming hard. The rack failure is sheer misfortune however battery replacement was due for you i guess.
I would suggest trying the 'repair job' with some other Honda in town, you might get cheaper alternates, as its unjust to spend so much on so little run vehicle, you have hardly enjoyed it since purchase.
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 18:17   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
Hi Sumeeth,
I feel sorry about your sudden bad luck with Civic, even I have a 2007 pre worshipped Civic. The Honda people are asking for replacing the suspension..Maybe get the tyres checked first ...however battery replacement was due for you i guess
Thank you Gaurav for your kind words. The tyres are band new and have done just a little around 1200 kms.I won't be jumping in the with suspension work so soon and will definitely go for a second opinion most probably from a independant garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
hey sumeet

Battery also i replaced this year but then thats okay the OEM battery lasted 5years which is a LOT.
As for the battery , guys, mine is a Amaron make dated 07/08 which as per me is July 2008 (unless i am mistaken) and should last the remaining 6 months since it says it has a 5 years warranty.But i will get it checked it again outside just to be sure.
Old 30th July 2012, 21:53   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car has completed 1 year with me. Last and this month has been pretty hard on the Civic and me so far.Had a accident last month leading to the entire RR door to be replaced
Oh Sumeet, I actually opened your thread to get an update on the unfortunate accident that you had met with but what I read took me completely by surprise. I can imagine the feelings that you would be undergoing now.
Quote:
Power steering pump leakage along with a rack leakge which is going to cost me a bomb to repair(car is in the service center as i type this).Along with the same i have been reported below issues in the car.

Weak Suspension
Minor boot cuts (5k)
Play in the ball joints
Sound from front wheel bearings(~18K)
Weak Battery
Remote key not functioning
I just can't fathom how so many things can go wrong in a car that the dealership and you certified to be great just 2000 km back. Apart from the battery and remote key, all the other problems shouldn't be coming in a Japanese car, that too a Honda, so early in it's life. This brings a whole lot of questions to my mind which I want you to please look into before taking any decision.

1. Did the accident trigger all or some of these problems? There are chances though I am not able to explain how.

2. Did you feel the problems listed like the sound from wheel bearings and weak suspension, etc.? Or are you relying on something that the dealership mentioned? I suggest you get a second opinion with another dealer or an independent garage before parting off with your hard-earned money.

Looking back at it, I still remember that you and me bought our pre-owned Civics within days apart of each other. Your experiences with the car is giving me jitters. Hope all gets well with your car soon.

Do not sell the car now as the rising gasoline prices, the less-fuel-efficient image of the Civic and the reducing demand for this segment of cars will fetch you ridiculously low prices.
Quote:
hey sumeet

I have also sailed through the same boat,

My also rack went a bust got it repaired from outside through proper rack professional including tie rod changing for-13k
A week back got the front shocks replaced for 11k for full assembly outside the same Honda shocks only the damper costs 14k a pair
What is it with so many problems in these so-called reliable and trusty Hondas?
Quote:
See as of now your and my car are going from mid-age crises they will remove repairs but then see the fact that you must have saved 2L at-least as compared to buying new ANHC and that savings you can put in maintenance and fuel for the next many years atleast.
You raised a very good and valid point there jatin. By opting for a pre-owned Civic, all of did actually save a lot of money compared to a brand-new City/Verna/Vento etc.
Old 31st July 2012, 00:42   #103
BHPian

Saved Money plus superb interior space snob value and the insane stonker of a engine and the smoothest AT box in its price segment (not considering the Laura DSG since its not a conventional AT)
Old 31st July 2012, 10:58   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T... while this month saw a Power steering pump leakage along with a rack leakge which is going to cost me a bomb to repair
Have you seen the leakage yourself?
Maybe too late, but if possible try and get an independent mechanic to inspect the car for the leakage again.
Here is my short story of leakages reported in my Cedia.
3000 KM after my last service, took the car for a free summer camp.
They did free checkup and reported several issues:
1. Power steering hose leakage
2. Gear oil seal leakage
3. Rear shocker leakage

I was scared when I saw the estimate (around 35K). Imagine there were no issues 3000 KM ago during last service.

After several days of reading up and research, I took the car to an independent mechanic. He checked.
1. P.S. hose: got the hose cleaned up with diesel. He asked me to drive and report back in case of issue.
2. Checked and found there was grease but no oil.
3. Shocker was leaking, but no immediate action needed. I will get after market shockers at 1/4th the cost after some time.

Almost a month down the line, the p/s reservoir is still at the same level.
I suspect that during the free checkup, they would have topped up the reservoir and in the process spilled some fluid on the hose.

So to summarize, do not take any hasty decisions.
Old 31st July 2012, 14:20   #105
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arvi86,

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post

1. Did the accident trigger all or some of these problems? There are chances though I am not able to explain how.
I don't thnk the accident cause all these problems.The rear right door was hit the front section was not touched.All the problems reported are in the front eg the ball joints,the pump assembly,the slight boot cut & wheel bearings.

Quote:

2. Did you feel the problems listed like the sound from wheel bearings and weak suspension, etc.? Or are you relying on something that the dealership mentioned? I suggest you get a second opinion with another dealer or an independent garage before parting off with your hard-earned money.
I haven't noticed any unsual sound however i did find the steering a bit heavy and kind of heard/felt a metallic/rubbery sound when i use to drive the car.I guess the pump overhaul was something that was coming.I would not be addressing the suspenion & bearing issues in the next 6 months atleast and will wait till the problem becomes more apparent.
The steering pump is a crtical component so i decided to go with the repair.
[/quote]

Quote:

Do not sell the car now as the rising gasoline prices, the less-fuel-efficient image of the Civic and the reducing demand for this segment of cars will fetch you ridiculously low prices.

One look at the gleaming engine bay with IVTEC under the hood seemed to have make me give up my idea of selling of the car .
Not to worry i won't be selling the car soon as i will have to take a tremondous hit which will be more than 2-3 times the cost of the repairs which are in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Have you seen the leakage yourself?
I have not seen the leakage but the damage has been done and i have got the car back with repairs with a massive bill of 29K probably the highest of any t-bhp civic owner for repairs and service.

I will post the 'what happened when i went to the dealer' story in the Honda Civic Long terms do's and dont's thread later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks