Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 19:52   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Sumeet, what's happening with your engine mount? Is it going fine or is it busted? Coming back to the problem itself, I wonder what keeps Honda silent on this issue as, looking at the owners in the forum, almost every other Civic experience this failure around the 40,000 km mark.
The mounts still in need of attention.The gap has decreased again but is still sufficient around half cm.Will wait till the part touches the bottom.Most probably will replace it by next month if possible.
Old 15th June 2013, 21:50   #137
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd & Completed 80k on the odo

My car's still running on the old mounts.The mount's going bang bang on rough roads usually when taking a turn especially to the left.I had last week gone to Joe (My mechanic) to get the mount replaced but his shop where he sources parts from only had the original mount which costed 8.3 K.As per joe there was no gurantee on it that it won't bust up again soon.He recommended not to go ahead with the same as i might lose money if the mount turned faulty.

I then called up bhpian JatinPatel(wagenwerkz) and he said he can arrange for the Honda mount (made in thailand) for 4.8K + 750 labor.I drove to his place at santacruz where Jatin took a small test drive of the car.He popped up the hood and pointed out that there was still gap in the mount and that it might be weak but still did not warrant a change.I decided to let it be for a while.With a bit of careful driving i might be able to make it last for a couple of months and then get the darn thing changed.I wanted the mount replaced as a means of preventive maintenance since i can now hear the mount banging against the lower base but then i thought what the heck if It's not all broke why replace it.Had even called up Linkway Honda earlier and the SA mentioned that it would cost not more than 10.5K for a new mount.

Below are some pics of the car's mounts.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-mountgap1.gif

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-mount-gap2.gif

Notice the gap is less than a half cm.It's in this position when the engine is cold. But once the car is driven around sometime and the mount is inspected again the gap increases on it's own.I wonder why this protruding part is even there and what's it purpose.If it hadn't been the way it is , it wouldn't have caused any banging sound etc

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-mountgap3.gif

Here a couple of pics of the new mount that were to be replaced at the workshop.These are non oe but with similar specs and made in Thailand.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-new2.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-new1.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 15th June 2013 at 21:53.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 21:12   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My car's still running on the old mounts....
Your mounts are fine. They are better than my six months old (new) mounts.

Just chill.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2013, 17:26   #139
Senior - BHPian

On this very day a couple years back this Civic wheeled into my life.As i look back it's been a mixed bag of emotions.There were many lows in the 2 years that i have had the car but the car itself is the high part of it.2012 was not particular kind to my Civic and my wallet and i ended up spending quite a packet in just maintaining the car.
But touch-wood things have been much better this year with the only thing i needed to spend was on service (2920 Rs only) and fuel.

The car has now covered 42880 kms of which ~6200-6300 are done by me.Fuel efficiency for me usually hovers around 10-11 kmpl with 70% highway driving & 90% a/c usage.I use the 4th gear most of the times in the city since i do not have to keep downshifting much.Keeping the needle hovering 2k RPM i manage to get 10-11 kmpl consistently.I however have notice that if i use the overdrive in 5th gear i end up with a overall better mileage even when the rpm is still kept around 2k.The best intercity mileage with combined highway and city streets i have got as per my andrioid app is 7.74ltrs per 100 Km which amounts to 12.91 kmpl.I use around 30 litres of fuel every month which comes around 2200- 2500 per month depending upon fuel prices.The car ends up doing at-least 320 kms for the quantity.

As of now there are a couple if issues with the car.The mount is on it's way out but still does not need immediate replacement.The second is that water is getting collected under the passenger side carpet.I had the drainage pipe checked and also had what my garage guy Joe said the cooling panel cleaned.But the issue still continue and will get it checked later again.Also a Rat ate away the wiper fluid pipe and had to replace the same with a new one.

Below are some pics i had compiled over the time

The odo stands at 42880.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-ododsc_0018.jpg

The wet look.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-smlfc1dsc_0018.jpg

A interior pic with the anti-theft device doing it's thing.I guess this is one thing i could have done without but i do use as a bit of extra peace of mind.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-interior_1.jpg

The washer assembly removed to change the Pipe.Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-assembly_removeddsc_0018.jpg

The Bumper had to be opened a bit.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-bumperopeneddsc_0020.jpg

The new pipe being replaced.
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-newpipeaddeddsc_0019.jpg

The cooling panel had to be cleaned after opening up the plastic panels. Notice the amount of dirt and muck.Civic owners take note of this.You may want to get the under panels below wiper sections cleaned as it tends to hold a lot of dirt.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-dirtdsc_0022.jpg

Some random pics of drives.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-drive2dsc_0023.jpg  

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-drive3dsc_0024.jpg  

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-drive_closeup_glasdsc_0018.jpg  

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-drive1dsc_0019.jpg  

sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:15   #140
Senior - BHPian

Got the new type wiper blade sets for the civic. Cost me 900 bucks for the set.I am not sure about the brand but i think they are syndicate.Now i know syndicate does not have a good reputation but just hear me out.

I had purchased Honda OE wipers from Solitaire (Soiltaire as i like to call then ) a couple of years back and believe me they left streaks in just a day or two of use.I was quite dismayed at the wiper performance as they cost 900 bucks. Incidentally the wipers only had the rubber blade changed by HASS while the ones i got came with the plastic wiper arm itself.I have used them now for a good amount of time (at-least 3-4 hours) in the rain in the 2 days that i have had them and there are no streaks or chatter while they were functioning.Below are a couple of pics of the arms.Notice they are different from what came originally with the car.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-wipers1.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-wipers2.jpg

Meanwhile this hole/crack appeared on the left rear bumper.It was a bit torn before but i guess it widened.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-crack.jpg

Some random pics of the new eastern freeway.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-1image.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-2image3.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-3image-2.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-4image1.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-5image-1.jpg
Old 5th November 2013, 20:17   #141
DWC
BHPian

Hi Sumeet,

Been following your ownership report as well as your inputs about your car in the maintenance thread. I currently drive a Hyundai Santro and am thinking of upgrading. I have the details of Joe's Garage as posted by you, called them today but Joe was not in. Can you pass on his cell number or give me an alternate way to contact him as I am keen to take my car there for servicing as I am not happy with the Hyundai ASS.

Im planning on upgrading to a civic and am also looking for a good independent garage that can service the car. I have posted a general query about owning the civic in the maintenance thread. Do have a look here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-335.html
Old 5th November 2013, 21:08   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Hi Sumeet,

Been following your ownership report as well as your inputs about your car in the maintenance thread. I currently drive a Hyundai Santro and am thinking of upgrading. I have the details of Joe's Garage as posted by you, called them today but Joe was not in. Can you pass on his cell number or give me an alternate way to contact him as I am keen to take my car there for servicing as I am not happy with the Hyundai ASS.

Im planning on upgrading to a civic and am also looking for a good independent garage that can service the car. I have posted a general query about owning the civic in the maintenance thread. Do have a look here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-dos-335.html
Have mailed you the no on the email mentioned in your forum profile.
Old 5th November 2013, 21:27   #143
DWC
BHPian

Thanks Sumeet, will call him tomorrow and try and fix an appointment. Will keep you posted.
Old 14th November 2013, 11:54   #144
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Have mailed you the no on the email mentioned in your forum profile.
So finally took the car to Joe's. Thorough professional, went for a long drive and explained all the problems I was facing. Got my car back the same day, everything was sorted out except for a blown fuse for my fog lights. Joe replaced the fuse, only to have it blow again on the way back home. Must be a wiring issue, will get that checked out at my next service. Highly recommend this place for all mechanical work, does a thorough job and tells it like it is. Thanks Sumeet.
Old 18th April 2014, 21:51   #145
Senior - BHPian

Got CNG... :-)

It's been a while i have updated this thread. The car has completed 46K out of which 9700 kms were done by me.Touch wood everything's been fine for a while and expect for minor scratches here and there, courtesy friendly neighborhood 2 wheelers, i am not facing much issues with the car.

Due to change in the company policies where i work i found that i would have to work in shifts and at Airoli location which is a good 30 kms away from my home.Also i found that there is no pickup/drop facility i would have to travel on my own.I calculated that at today's fuel price it would
cost me

23 (days) * 60 km + 200 (weekends) = 1560 km (Total monthly distance) / 13.5 Kmpl (estimated average) = 115 litres of fuel * 80 rs per litre = 9200 Rs per month

That is a whopping monthly cost which made me think of 'alternate' ways.I figured relying on public transport like rick and cabs would be more hassles considering i would be having to work in late night/early morning shifts.So there was only one solution to this problem, convert the Civic to CNG. I hated the thought of modifying the car and wanted to keep it stock only.But with a annual bill close to 9200 * 12 = 110400 Rs i was literally forced into the CNG way.Believe me i really didn't wanted to but keeping in mind the economy and the facts that i did not want to part with my Civic and the headache of finding a rick/cab in early morning & late nights left me with no option but to go the CNG path.

No prizes to guess which CNG fitter i went to, "Suraj Gas" or "Frankly" the most recommended by bhpian's on the forum (pun intended).
Total for a 70 litre tank came to 52K.This is a huge investment for me and i had to break my bank to get this kit fitted.It took them 3 days , had given the car to them on April 16 and got it today at 7 PM.
When i took the car back home (did had a brief test drive) i found the car a teeny bit jerky when i let go off the throttle.Definitely not as smooth as on petrol.Maybe a new air filter might change that.I informed Mr Jain of Suraj Gas about same and he advised me to drive the car for a couple of days and come back if the issue is still there.Also i found the coolant level in the reservoir had gone down and will be topping up same from Jatin Patel (wagen Werks) tomorrow.

Another headache for now is,since i dont have RTO endorsement i was refused at gas at my regular pump but i managed to fill it up from another pump.It was not a nice experience for me to convince the guy at the pump where i was refused the gas.However this proves that gas station is honest and it will be the place i will be going regularly once i get my plate etc for the CNG.For now i have to live with being nervous about asked for the plate when i go for fill ups.I still have to take the car to RTO for endorsement and that is going to be a bit delayed courtesy the elections.I will have to manage till the time i get the voucher from RTO that i can fill gas for a period of 1 month legally.AFter that i will be getting the plate hopefully and at least my legal worries would be over.

As for the car, as i said it's not as smooth on petrol but maybe a synthetic oil c and new air filter could change that.Thankfully it did not stall and there is no idle rpm fluctuating with or without a/c.I i will be changing the air filter and topping up the coolant tomorrow and take the car for a good test drive.Hopefully the jerky problem would go away.Guys wish me luck as my car is no longer a luxury and a weekend fun thing to do but has become more of a necessity for me.Hopefully the smaller things would iron themselves out for the large benefit.I would keep updating this thread.My CNG fueled journey begins at 46370 kms.

I will post pics later.

Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 18th June 2014 at 15:05. Reason: As requested :)
Old 19th April 2014, 13:09   #146
Senior - BHPian

Took the car for a drive today for around 40Kms.Initially the car was a bit jerky especially in lower gears and i found myself driving at higher speeds in lower gears to prevent stalling.Some times it would feel as though the engine is struggling to stay alive but a quick clutch action would prevent it from doing so.

I drove straight to jatin patel's workshop located close to my home and had the air filter changed and the coolant changed.Total damages were 525 for the filter and 218 for the coolant plus 100 for labor 843 Rs.After putting in the air filter i found the jerkiness has reduced but it's still a bit there.One thing is for sure that the car is not as smooth as on petrol.

The person at Suraj auto had called yesterday that they had forgotten to charge with me for the spark plugs they had changed and requested me to come and give the money for same.So i went there and paid him the 380 bucks for the plugs and also mentioned to him the jerk issue and the coolant problem.The guy at the shop said the coolant must have been used up while testing and connecting the cng and is normal.I would have frankly been more at ease if the same was pointed by them in the first place itself when i had come to take delivery.

Also coming to the slight jerk problem the guys said that is a little bit issue with the trottle body but not enough to be concerned about and that it should be ok after driving the car some time.Anyways it's the same as Mr Jain said and quite frankly it's not much big of a issue as of now.I might have the car to Honda for a synthetic oil change and a throtlle body cleaning for the next service but there is still time for that.Performance does not seem to be has been impacted much and at most by layman observation i can say around 2-3% reduction in pickup.Also the rear now sits down a bit due to the weight of the tank.

The gas pump i used to fill gas in managed 5.27 kg of gas.The last light was a bit on ie faintly glowing but vanished in the morning.I guess the pump does not have enough capacity to fill the entire tank.I am on the middle 3 lights and will observe how many kms these would last.With a little bit of luck i no longer have to envy diesels and other cng vehicles or even for that matter two-wheelers for their lower running costs.

Pics as promised.

Engine bay,it does feel hotter now.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-bay.jpg

The injectors.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-inject.jpg

The brain.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-ecu.jpg

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-piggy.jpg

The gas feeder pipe,notice the valve to close gas supply.The exposed wires are a feast for rats and should have some sort of protection on them.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-pipeinlet.jpg

The tank is 70 litres.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-tank.jpg

The valve can be used to switch off gas supply.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-valve.jpg

The cng push button switch..need to wait for 30 secs when cold when switching over and and when engines warmed up its faster.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-switch.jpg

Battery connection

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-batterywires.jpg

Coolant used in the car.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-coolant.jpg
Old 20th April 2014, 20:10   #147
Senior - BHPian

Drove the car for a good 184 kms in the last 2 days.Filled twice one was for around 225 and the other was for 248.I haven't driven till the last light goes out and the reserve light comes on butfill up as soon as the last second last light goes off.

The average is around 14 and this was in mixed driving with 50% a/c mode , 50% highway, 10% traffic mode & the remaining on city mode .
I guess for the last per-reserve light goes off i will have a healthy range of 120-130 kms atleast which is quite good.

The savings are phenomenal and i have travelled 179 kms in round 450 bucks of gas which otherwise would have cost me around 1300 Rs (with average FE of 10.5) So that is a good 850 bucks saved.I used to fill in 2500 bucks worth of fuel every month and travel max 300-350 kms for the entire monthly duration.Now i have done 179 kms in just 2 days which officially makes me a 'gas monkey'

The jerk problem is still there but has reduced significantly.All on all it's a good investment and i am hoping for the best.The only major concern remains is the RTO process which is a pain and the wait to get the plate for the CNG as i feel nervous while going to gas pumps to fill in gas.
Old 21st April 2014, 06:55   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I calculated that at today's fuel price it would cost me
23 (days) * 60 km = 1560 km (Total monthly distance) / 13.5 Kmpl (estimated average) = 115 litres of fuel * 80 rs per litre = 9200 Rs per month
That's quite some running for a thirsty petrol car.
Quote:
The savings are phenomenal
They really are. I can see that you are giggling big-time not much different from the smiley that you posted.
Quote:
The jerk problem is still there but has reduced significantly.
Did you take the car back to Suraj Gas to sort that jerking out? Or has it come down automatically after usage?
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 19:28   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
That's quite some running for a thirsty petrol car.

They really are. I can see that you are giggling big-time not much different from the smiley that you posted.

Did you take the car back to Suraj Gas to sort that jerking out? Or has it come down automatically after usage?
No the jerk problem is very much there. I had called up Mr Jain and he confirmed that 99.9% it will be the throttle body which is acting up.I have taken a appointment with Linkway Honda much as i hate HASS though to get the throttle body cleaned and also to get the diagnostic scan done.Will be going there wed morning and see how it comes out.The car has become a bit irritating to drive in traffic with constant clutch action needed to prevent the engine from dying.

Mr Jain said i can take the car to HASS and get the necessary work done on the TB and if the issue persists i can bring the car to him for further diagnosis.So let's see what happens.Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:55   #150
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned in my earlier post i had taken appointment with Linkway Honda to get the throttle body cleaned today.I reached Linkway today @ 8:15 in the morning. Was greeted by a Mr Maruti to whom i explained what i needed to be done.

Me- I Need the throttle body cleaned & the Honda diagnostic run on the car.

Him -Ok sir, is there anything else needed ?

Me-No,the car has a CNG kit and i do not want it to fiddled with.

Him-Oh, the car is running on CNG ?

He dials a no on the phone, no one picks up.Then asks a fellow colleague of his , do we do a TB cleaning on cars with CNG? The other fella replies in a negative.

Me- Is there a problem ?

Him- Sir, we do not accept cars with CNG for such things but let me speak to the senior technician, if he agrees then we will go ahead.

Me-Ok.

Thoughts came to my mind about the old All new Honda City which was advertised with CNG and here these guys are saying that they do not accept the car with CNG.

Him- Why is this needed to be done?

Me-The car while running on gas jerks at approx 1500 rpm mostly in 1st and 2nd gear.

He notes down my issues and my job order is made.The estimate given is around 1000 bucks.I leave Linkway and head to my office with a promise that i will be called at around 1-2 pm.

At 12:30 i get a bit impatient and call Mr Maruti.

Me- Has the Honda technician agreed to look into the issue ?

Him-Sir,the work is currently under progress i will let you know as soon as possible.

Me - Ok (relieved atleast they are trying to resolve the issue)

I get a call around 3:00 PM from Mr Maruti.

Him-Sir,they have done the requested job but are not able to resolve the issue?

Me-Why,what is the problem ?

Him-The spark plugs are not OE and they need to be replaced and cost 5K, it could be because of the plugs.

Me-No no no, don't touch the spark plugs.Have you done the throttle body
cleaning?

Him-yes

Me-Have you reset the ECU?

Him-Yes.

Me- Leave it at that, i will take it up with the Gas fitters for further diagnosis.

Him-OK,will have the car ready by 5:00 Pm

Me-OK, thanks.

I was a bit upset that i that they were not able to resolve the issue.I could not even focus on work much and kept thinking what next could be done.I called up Mr Jain and he said that i can bring the car to him if the throttle body cleaning does not solve the issue.He asks me to run the car on both and petrol and CNG and see if there are jerks in both modes.If the car jerks on both petrol and CNG then there is something wrong with the car itself,if it jerks on CNG then it might need some looking into.I agree to follow Mr Jain's advice and hang up the phone.

At 4:30 I get a call from Mr Maruti saying that the car is ready and i can come and pick it up.Not happy about the whole thing i leave a bit early from office and reach linkway. The bill has come to 845 bucks including the cleaning solution.I pay the bill and head straight to the car with the lingering doubt that the jerk issue is still there.

I slot the key,start the car.It is now feeling much smoother.The idle rpm which was 900 is now close to 750-800.I drive the car outside and cruise in the 1st gear expecting the jerks at the dreaded 1500 rpm range.To my surprise there is none.Slot it in 2nd and guess what again no jerk. I drove the car in different combinations with a/c & without a/c to see if she shuddered but no she is butter smoooth.Thank God, the car is now as silky as it is on petrol.Problem solved.

I drive home happily and call up Mr Jain.He is happy to hear the issue is solved by the TB cleaning.He goes on to say that many times customer do not listen and put the blame on the CNG people for not doing proper work.He appreciated that i took the initiative and got the issue resolved quickly by taking the car to Honda.

All in all i am happy first time with HASS for decent service.What was expected to be a disappointing effort turned out to be , touch wood, a good investment in time,effort and money.I event messaged a thank you to Mr Maruti and told him that the issue was solved.

Also Thanks to Mr Frank Mehta for the wonderful thread on his Civic.

Most Viewed