Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 13:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd & Completed 80k on the odo

A late congrats for your "preworshipped" Civic,and i must say quite an upgrade from an 800!

When we had upgraded from our 15 yr old 800 to an Alto K10,even i had same observations as you.Modern day brakes are just fantastic!First time i had driven the Alto i had given a firm dab on the brakes like i am used to on the 800,and the car just violently stopped leaving me shocked!But now i have got used to it,just 10-15% of the pedal travel is enough for bringing the car to a halt.

Also power steering was a novelty to me.Whilst taking a U-turn during those initial days,i had firmly turned the steering and was struck by the effortlessness and lightness of the steering.

Wish you lots of happy driving ahead.
avishar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 21:05   #32
BHPian

@summeet

my xenos parking sensors are only at the back, and the alerts come in form of beep and display both the display and beeper is integrated in the rear view mirror which clamps on to the original mirror.

problem with front sensors are that they are always ON and hence in traffic they are a pain.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Congratulations Sumeet. The second set of pictures look very good.
I think you should save money on your Gear Lock (your steering lock is a good deterrent + you already have an immobilizer) and buy a reverse camera or at least parking sensors.
Thank you for your wishes.Gear lock costs just 1750 bucks so won't be much of a hole in the wallet considering the peace of mind it will give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I think the tires have a lot still left in them, but you may want to get all five of them inspected from someone trustworthy and knowledgeable. Make sure the spare is also in good condition.
Once you get more comfortable, try and take the car out in the night and test the headlights as well.
Yes tires do have some life in them and will be considring new ones in a month or two only.The spare is in good shape as well.Have yet to drive the car at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
No offence meant to you, but since it is such a big jump in terms of size, you should look at a 6 sensor option, with 4 at the back and 2 in the front, since in the Civic you cannot see the bonnet. It is a real help and not just a novelty item.
No offence taken.It's just that i haven't seen parking sensors in action so don't know how valuable will they be in reversing.Plus don't won't holes drilled in the car's bumpers but have called up a dealer and he is quoting 3-3.5K for a RD product i think.Will pay him a visit on staurday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
No offense meant on your driving skills bro.
If you dont go much on highways then your tyres are OK for 1-2k distance but Dec 06 tyres means the rubber must have hardened by now. Go for a CHANGE asap.
Raab Rakha.
None taken.Will go for new set in a month or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@summeet

my xenos parking sensors are only at the back, and the alerts come in form of beep and display both the display and beeper is integrated in the rear view mirror which clamps on to the original mirror.

problem with front sensors are that they are always ON and hence in traffic they are a pain.
Jatin , isin't it possible to get a manual switch to override the front sensors in b2b traffic ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 25th July 2011 at 22:47.
Old 26th July 2011, 00:11   #34
BHPian

it is but whats the use of front sensors if they are placed on the front side of the bumper and not at corners where its required the most ?
and plus not worth messing with wirring to put switch and all.

My adivice would stick with rears and dont go to Honda they charge a bomb for product that offers less.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 00:22   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it is but whats the use of front sensors if they are placed on the front side of the bumper and not at corners where its required the most ?

My adivice would stick with rears and dont go to Honda they charge a bomb for product that offers less.
I'm sure you get front sensors which only come on with a button, or at least a mute switch.
Old 26th July 2011, 09:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
A late congrats for your "preworshipped" Civic,and i must say quite an upgrade from an 800!
Thank you avishar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
When we had upgraded from our 15 yr old 800 to an Alto K10,even i had same observations as you.Modern day brakes are just fantastic!First time i had driven the Alto i had given a firm dab on the brakes like i am used to on the 800,and the car just violently stopped leaving me shocked!But now i have got used to it,just 10-15% of the pedal travel is enough for bringing the car to a halt.

Also power steering was a novelty to me.Whilst taking a U-turn during those initial days,i had firmly turned the steering and was struck by the effortlessness and lightness of the steering.
Yes there is definitely a "generation gap" that i feel between the 800 and the Honda.In fact i took the 800 for a very short spin on sunday.I found the steering very heavy and the driving position a little cumbersome.I felt claustrophobic in the 800 after the gigantic Civic.The brakes felt very hard and so was the gas pedal.The gear shifts felt absolutely long and overall i hate to admit but i found the car very crude and basic.All this after having driven the civic for a mere 100kms and 2 weeks while i have driven the 800 for over 14 years .The difference is unbelievable.

Quote:

Hello Jatin would not go to Honda for accessories as i have learnt from the 800 days that dealers charge a bomb for standard stuff.Thinking of going for a RD product but will see xenos as well.RD seems to have a 1 year warranty and have some good reviews on T-bhp.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 26th July 2011 at 09:32.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Congrats sumeet. A great buy. Like many ppl said wen it rains it pours civics. I too had an option to get this civic colour. I really like it cause my ford had the same colour. But when your buying a preowned you take what you get. I think both of us got our civics around the same dates.
We planning to have a t-bhp civic photoshoot soon. Just like the OHC meet at BKC. Shall keep you guys posted.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 16:27   #38
BHPian

The big difference you feel when applying the brakes is because a booster is there in all modern cars to assist braking. This was absent in the humble 800 & therefore needed much more legwork as compared to the modern one's. For me the experience was worst since I was driving a friend's 800 & as usual applied the brakes lightly (as a habit) only to realize that the car was not even remotely feeling like it was going to stop.

2 questions I have for all Civic pre worshiped car owners:
1. What is the mileage that you guys have been gettting?
2. Any thoughts of fitting a CNG//LPG in the near future? Can it be even fitted in the 1st place?

I have been toying with the idea of picking up a pre worshiped Civic for a diesel Vista. What is stopping me? Fuel cost & may be the maintenance cost of a pre-owned car. Should l I take the plunge is the question that has been in my head for really long now.
Old 26th July 2011, 18:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post

2. Any thoughts of fitting a CNG//LPG in the near future? Can it be even fitted in the 1st place?

I have been toying with the idea of picking up a pre worshiped Civic for a diesel Vista. What is stopping me? Fuel cost & may be the maintenance cost of a pre-owned car. Should l I take the plunge is the question that has been in my head for really long now.
So far the mileage on my civic aint nothing to talk about. This is the question i wanted to ask the others. Ive just completed my first "half tank" and ive done about 180kms on it.

Though ive heard of some people fitting it(CNG/LPG) in accords. Its isnt something a honda should have. but iam sure you can have such a fitment.

Maintenance cost. Hmmm ive just got mine. But it sure is cheaper than my ikon.
Civic = PURE BLISS.
Old 27th July 2011, 09:27   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
1. So far the mileage on my civic aint nothing to talk about. This is the question i wanted to ask the others. Ive just completed my first "half tank" and ive done about 180kms on it.

2. Though ive heard of some people fitting it(CNG/LPG) in accords. Its isnt something a honda should have. but iam sure you can have such a fitment.

3. Maintenance cost. Hmmm ive just got mine. But it sure is cheaper than my ikon.
4. Civic = PURE BLISS.
Let me answer all of them. Mine is an AT so expect the worst
1. Town about 8kpl, Highway : Typical 12-14kpl. highest 16 kpl.
2. Sacrilege in my view.
3. Looks like i will be cheaper than my Accent was. Spare prices are reasonable, and charges like-ways. I had to get two panels repaired and repainted. Total charges under 6.5k.
4. Agreed. Only wish they had put in a reverencing camera (a la new Altis) instead of just sensors. Also, HID in low beam.
Old 27th July 2011, 10:06   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Let me answer all of them. Mine is an AT so expect the worst
1. Town about 8kpl, Highway : Typical 12-14kpl. highest 16 kpl.
2. Sacrilege in my view.
3. Looks like i will be cheaper than my Accent was. Spare prices are reasonable, and charges like-ways. I had to get two panels repaired and repainted. Total charges under 6.5k.
4. Agreed. Only wish they had put in a reverencing camera (a la new Altis) instead of just sensors. Also, HID in low beam.
Here's my 2 cents. I own a first hand Aug 09 civic automatic for reference (just pre the minor facelift)

1. All within mumbai heavy traffic. Hovers between 6.5 - 7. However, I've noticed whenever I take over from the driver for an entire mileage test spell (Ive done this a few times), I get between 7 - 7.5. This is despite my driving in reasonably spirited fashion for a decent bit of the drive. My driver just doesn't get some basic concepts like inducing earlier upshifts by stepping off etc.

2. Agree with sgiit. Sacrilegious!!!

3. I owned a swift vxi vxi before this (Jul 05 model). I can confidently say my maintenance costs are actually lower than the swifts any day. Tis surprised me too initially. My colleague and I both moved from the same swift to a civic and (in his case) an Altis. Both of us found our service costs reduced - his even more so given the much longer annual service interval

4. + 1 million to BLISS!! I've completely loved both the personal cars I've owned - the swift which was my first and now the civic. They are an absolute joy. So much so that it sometimes feels difficult to figure out what one would upgrade to from such a rewarding drive. Te immediately next segment doesn't always feel enticing enough.
Old 30th July 2011, 17:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Got the reverse sensors installed.They are from a brand called DHC.I know i should have stuck with RD or xenos but this one's got a 1 year warranty and the dealer from whom i got the install is known to me so hopefully won't have any issues.

Attaching some pics.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-measurement.jpg

Measurements had to be taken before drilling holes in the rear bumper.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-drilling.jpg

Drilling the holes in the bumper.The product came with it's own drilling thingy ie the top bit attached to the drill machine which was just the size of the sensors.

Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!-mirror.jpg

The mirror with the indicators.

The voice of the sensor is squeaky and overall i find the device to be not highly efficient but it gets the work done.Its good if the surface area is more or less flat like while parking against a wall or close to a another vehicle.Haven't tried out much yet but it's a ok product.

Paid 3200 for same.Did not find matching colors for the Honda so went for black sensors.The mirror is large and i wanted to go for a larger after market mirror hence settled for this product.The damn thing vibrates a bit and am thinking of ways to secure the same minus the vibration.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th July 2011 at 17:37.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 18:19   #43
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Scorponok gives 9.5 -10.5 in Pune city and 13-14 in highways. Scorpo has an AT and its thrist is quenched by regular petrol 90% of time unless the favorite bunks have run out of regular. And I dont think I am a sedate driver anymore, as much as I may want to desperately try!

2. CNG? in Civic? No man, I didnt buy Civic to save money. You dont mess with a few good things that comes rarely in your life.

Quote:
What is your monthly run and how much can you spare on petrol is the real question. The fuel cost compared to diesel will more than double. If you are spending 3k on diesel per month, running a Civic will easily increase the bill to 7-8k. So what is the return for the extra 5k? A terrific engine, great drive and a super cool car that comes by only once in a lifetime.

If you have any specific question, not hesitate to ask.

Last edited by dot : 30th July 2011 at 18:29.
Old 31st July 2011, 13:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Got the reverse sensors installed.They are from a brand called DHC.I know i should have stuck with RD or xenos but this one's got a 1 year warranty and the dealer from whom i got the install is known to me so hopefully won't have any issues.
I had a chance to check out reverse sensors yesterday at my local accessory shop. They did not have Xenos or RD but one un-branded senors for 2.6K.
The other option was a Sai brand sensor and they looked much better quality wise, they were for 3.2K.

I am not too keen on installing a mirror on top of the OE mirror, but this one had day/night mirror. Will perhaps go in for this next weekend.

Cheers
Old 31st July 2011, 14:45   #45
BHPian

@sumeet

in xenos the same honda color is available and the build quality is better and its for 3k.

you got front sensors too?

Most Viewed