Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 10:24   #226
Senior - BHPian

Here is an update on the 1500 km travel in my Fiesta SXI, my observation is that it is giving me a mileage of around 11.5 to 12 kmpl, i am happy with it as my first service is still due.
Old 10th February 2010, 09:54   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
The total cost of ownership as of now stands at Rs 35,987 (excluding the cost of the Michelin Energy XM1s) & the present odo reading is 92,574. So that brings up a cost of 39 paise per km. Not bad, not bad at all huh?
Hey Suman

Thats a great thread i must say, and the fact that your maintenance cost is under 0.4/km on a ford is something to really amazing!!!!

i read that you were getting FE of 12kmpl is it still the same?
Old 19th February 2010, 11:52   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That's a stupendous achievement, Suman---4 years and a very pocket-friendly maintenance cost.

Congrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Hey Suman

Thats a great thread i must say, and the fact that your maintenance cost is under 0.4/km on a ford is something to really amazing!!!!

i read that you were getting FE of 12kmpl is it still the same?
Thanks Guys!

Kaushik, the FE has been varying between 11 & 11.5 for the past few months, has crossed 12 on a couple of occasions. I think the reason for the minor fluctuations is that my driver is forever unable to get the pump to follow a consistent "cut off" method & this leads to the variations.

The other day, I was analyzing the FE of the vehicle throughout its life & it has delivered an average of 10.83 kmpl.

The Water Pump work was completed 10 days back & coolant was topped up as well - total cost was Rs 2,884. Total cost of ownership is now at Rs 38,870, odo is showing 93,700 kms so cost is 41 paise per km now.

Post the Water Pump work, we detected another noise - to me it sounds like the Fan Belt but the workshop's initial diagnosis was that the Timing Belt (which is normally changed at 100,000 kms) & a related bearing has started playing up. I'm not convinced entirely & the car is being sent next week for a Senior Technician to analyze & confirm what the actual issue is.

The BAD NEWS is - a lot of the old workers of HF have quit & most of the SAs are totally new; as a result, my search for "reliable" people starts all over again. There are quite a few avoidable specimens as far as the Service Advisors are concerned so one has to take their diagnosis with a pinch of salt! This is cause for concern because it is almost impossible to find a decent roadside garage who handle Fords. As a result, one is totally dependant on a company authorised workshop....and that can translate to grief if the technician is not competent. Anyway, we'll see how it goes!

Last edited by suman : 19th February 2010 at 11:54.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:14   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys!

Kaushik, the FE has been varying between 11 & 11.5 for the past few months, has crossed 12 on a couple of occasions. I think the reason for the minor fluctuations is that my driver is forever unable to get the pump to follow a consistent "cut off" method & this leads to the variations.

The other day, I was analyzing the FE of the vehicle throughout its life & it has delivered an average of 10.83 kmpl.

The Water Pump work was completed 10 days back & coolant was topped up as well - total cost was Rs 2,884. Total cost of ownership is now at Rs 38,870, odo is showing 93,700 kms so cost is 41 paise per km now.
Hey Suman!! its good to know that the car has been performing well and ahs also been giving you a great FE over a period of time. I am sure the FE numbers are with almost 100% AC in city.

Also the ownership cost/pm is really something to talk about. Good going!!!Am sure this thread inspires prospective ford/fiesta buyers.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:29   #230
Senior - BHPian

@suman
Glad to see the less ownership cost, just 41paise per km!. Comes to 'FORD', some people are still scared about 'High' repair/maintenance cost (as it was there few years back). With the EW available now for 4 years or 150,000km, I think the cost may get reduced further?
Old 19th February 2010, 12:50   #231
BANNED

Wow. That's some amazing milege you've clocked. Waiting to welcome you into the 1 Lakh club. I'm already a member having clocked over 1.5 lakh km in my Swift Vdi which I have since sold.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:49   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
I am sure the FE numbers are with almost 100% AC in city.
Yup, always on except for the stretches when the driver is alone in the vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
With the EW available now for 4 years or 150,000km, I think the cost may get reduced further?
I think the 150,000 kms coverage is for Diesel vehicles - I had the 4th year warranty too but for the Petrols, its 80k or 4 years - in my case, the 80k finished last August.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Waiting to welcome you into the 1 Lakh club.
Thanks mate, hope to hit that in a few months time...

Last edited by suman : 19th February 2010 at 13:51.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:56   #233
Senior - BHPian

@suman
I have the 1.6 Duratec (sept 2009) and I have bought 3rd and 4th year (or 150,000kms) EW against payment of Rs.8300/-.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:59   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
I have the 1.6 Duratec (sept 2009) and I have bought 3rd and 4th year (or 150,000kms) EW against payment of Rs.8300/-.
Oh, that's good, they must have finally woken up to the numerous cribs from Petrol owners. I remember giving them a earful when I took got my 4th year in Jan 2009 because it barely covered me for 6 months, given my kind of running!

Last edited by suman : 19th February 2010 at 14:00.
Old 19th February 2010, 15:17   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, that's good, they must have finally woken up to the numerous cribs from Petrol owners. I remember giving them a earful when I took got my 4th year in Jan 2009 because it barely covered me for 6 months, given my kind of running!
+
Yes, but mainly because of the stiff competition in this segment makes them to give away such offers. And the result is now encouraging for FORD as we can see more and more Fiesta's on the Road.
Old 19th February 2010, 19:57   #236
BHPian

Have the Ford guys increased the kilometer limit to 150000 for petrol Fiesta as well?
Old 19th February 2010, 21:49   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Have the Ford guys increased the kilometer limit to 150000 for petrol Fiesta as well?
nairrk has a 1.6 Duratec, which is a petrol model. See his post above.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:21   #238
Senior - BHPian

same for me EW at Rs. 8300 for 3rd and 4th year
Old 24th February 2010, 11:12   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Post the Water Pump work, we detected another noise - to me it sounds like the Fan Belt but the workshop's initial diagnosis was that the Timing Belt (which is normally changed at 100,000 kms) & a related bearing has started playing up. I'm not convinced entirely & the car is being sent next week for a Senior Technician to analyze & confirm what the actual issue is.
A pleasant update - last week, the Asst Service Manager of HF Gurgaon had called me (I'd told the lady who had made the usual follow up call that I was very unhappy about their diagnostic capabilities); he heard me out & asked me to send the car across to him for a confirmed diagnosis.

I sent the car across yesterday along with the Water Pump that had been replaced - he personally attended to the car, checked out the old Water Pump & reconfirmed that replacement had been necessary. He also checked out the Fan Belt & the Timing belt & assured me that although the Fan Belt was beginning to fray slightly, it didn't require immediate replacement & neither did the Timing Belt. The noise was nothing abnormal & they would attend to the belts during the 100,000 kms service.

Drove the car back home from work yesterday - the combination of light traffic, good roads & the 1.6 Duratec brought an ear to ear grin to my face, that lasted through the evening. I'm seriously contemplating going back to a Petrol engine for my daily commute

Last edited by suman : 24th February 2010 at 11:14.
Old 16th July 2010, 14:23   #240
Senior - BHPian

Another day, another milestone!

Sometime during the week of 21st June, she crossed the 100,000 kms milestone. Here's a picture taken earlier this month
Fiesta 1.6 SXI with ABS - 163,500 kms and 9 years with the family!-02072010024.jpg

Its going to be four & a half years come the 25th of this month & a truly hassle-free & pleasurable ownership experience it has been, I can tell you!

The 100k kms service was done on the 28th of last month - it was supposed to be a major service & they kept the car for a day & a half. I had known it was going to be expensive because they had warned me about the Timing Belt & Tensioner Pulley replacement. Apart from the routine 100k kms service involving change of Engine Oil, Oil Filter, Coolant, Air Cleaner Element & Injector cleaning, the following were also changed -
  • Brake Pads
  • Windscreen Washer Reservior & Motor (comes with the motor)
  • Drive Belt (main V Belt)
  • Timing Belt
  • Tensioner
The timing belt change is quite a lengthy & complicated process & only the Senior Technicians attend to this - that's why the car had to be left with them overnight. Total cost of Consumables & Labour was Rs 14,123. Not too bad considering all that was replaced. The most expensive service so far, bringing the cost of ownership up to Rs 52,993. At the current odo reading of 101,307, this works out to 52 paise per km.

In the weeks leading up to the service &, she was returning poor mileage figures & was feeling a tad sluggish too. Post the service, the trademark Duratec snarl & leap is back & the mileage restored to earlier levels. The tyres are now showing signs of wear though my friend Deepak Kataria tells me that they're good for another couple of thousand kms. The earlier plan was to sell the car off before the second set of tyres was called for but, plans have now changed. Since we're already half way into 2010, I've decided to hang on till at least Q1 of 2011 before buying a new car. Hopefully, by then, we'd have heard something about the new Ford sedan.........and the new Mitsubishi sedan........and of course the Vento which is just round the corner. Another major factor influencing the decision not to sell now is that my daughter started driving during her summer holidays & is now quite attached to the Fiesta. She has told me, in no uncertain terms, to shelve any ideas about selling it!

So, with all of the above happening, it looks like the Moondust Silver Streak will be with us a while longer. Well. we aren't complaining but that means some fresh footwear a couple of months down the road! But what the heck! She deserves some VIP treatment after all the selfless service that she's given & keeps giving us, wouldn't you agree??

Most Viewed