Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2007, 22:26   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
change to first, pop the clutch, wheelspin, leave some rubber on the road, change from first to second, wheelspin, more rubber on the road and bingo - "where have all the men gone"? "Nowhere, just fallen behind that's all!"
That made me laugh for quite some time
Old 31st December 2007, 14:45   #122
Senior - BHPian

Hey Suman,
I got a golden chance to rip off an SX4 on the Mumbai-Pune expressway last week.
I saw an Aveo chasing an SX4, and I gave chase to both of them. In no timeI was way ahead of the SX4, but the Aveo guy was doing more than 150. I had no experience of driving on that road before, so I kept tailing him. When a straight stretch came into sight, I simply floored the gas pedal, and whizzed past his gaping face at around 170! But that was only for a few minutes, and I let the Aveo guy overtake me by slowing down. This paid rich dividends as there were some steep curves that lay ahead, and I would have been ruined if I tried to keep the lead. Tailing him gave me advance warning of impending curves.
It was only at the toll get at the other end that the SX4 guy could catch up with us. Poor guy, I hope we did not hurt his ego , as thes 'longest, widest and tallest' car in the segment also proved to be the slowest!

Last edited by vnabhi : 31st December 2007 at 14:46. Reason: forgot a line
Old 21st February 2008, 10:21   #123
Senior - BHPian

2 years up & 51k kms on the odo

(Yawn, not another update, zzzzzz)

OK guys, a quick one. The silver beauty celebrated her 2nd birthday on 25th of January. The 50k kms service was completed last week at odo reading 50,903 kms with the usual engine oil & filter change which cost Rs 922 for the materials & Rs 758 for labour bringing up a total of Rs 1,680 for the routine service costs. As I'd expected, the brake pads were showing signs of wear so I thought it was prudent to have them changed in order to prevent stress on the discs - this cost another Rs 2090 (cost of pads was Rs 1700 & labour was Rs 390). Total cost of ownership at 51k kms is now Rs 10.7 k which works out to 21 paise per km.

Took her out last Saturday & ripped her on the way back from dinner - man, this 1.6 Duratec engine is such a blast. Those of you who have experienced it will know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, I'm sorry folks, you just don't know what you're missing. And the engine's settled in so beautifully, redlining through gears is a pleasure. That snarl is like music to the ears.

Next on the agenda - a change of footwear! Have been in touch with our experts Kpzen & Iraghava and the choices have been narrowed down to Michelin Energy XM1s or Apollo Acelere. The recent hike in Michelin prices are tilting the scales in favour of Apollo & since this is more of a family car, ride comfort & low tyre noise are the criteria which, from what I understand, Apollo do provide. Let's see which way the pendulum swings as I'm meeting up with the Tyre Maestro in a couple of hours from now, will keep you posted.

By the way, on the BHP garage, err, umm, you know what I mean - the pics have been clicked but haven't put them up yet! Benny, just to whet your appetite, a quick view from the 6th floor -

But, better pics coming up soon, very soon!

Last edited by suman : 21st February 2008 at 10:26.
Old 21st February 2008, 12:07   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(Yawn, not another update, zzzzzz)

The silver beauty celebrated her 2nd birthday on 25th of January.
Congrats to your sxi on its 2nd birthday!

Quote:
Took her out last Saturday & ripped her on the way back from dinner - man, this 1.6 Duratec engine is such a blast. Those of you who have experienced it will know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, I'm sorry folks, you just don't know what you're missing. And the engine's settled in so beautifully, redlining through gears is a pleasure. That snarl is like music to the ears.
Yup, I know what you mean. Others who don't are sure missing something!

Quote:
Next on the agenda - a change of footwear! from now, will keep you posted.
Wow, did you use your stock MRFs for 51K kms?
Old 21st February 2008, 12:30   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hey Suman,
I got a golden chance to rip off an SX4 on the Mumbai-Pune expressway last week.
I saw an Aveo chasing an SX4, and I gave chase to both of them. In no timeI was way ahead of the SX4, but the Aveo guy was doing more than 150. I had no experience of driving on that road before, so I kept tailing him. When a straight stretch came into sight, I simply floored the gas pedal, and whizzed past his gaping face at around 170! But that was only for a few minutes, and I let the Aveo guy overtake me by slowing down. This paid rich dividends as there were some steep curves that lay ahead, and I would have been ruined if I tried to keep the lead. Tailing him gave me advance warning of impending curves.
It was only at the toll get at the other end that the SX4 guy could catch up with us. Poor guy, I hope we did not hurt his ego , as thes 'longest, widest and tallest' car in the segment also proved to be the slowest!
Seems more like a 18 year old wrath and prejudice.. ...what made you so sure, that your so called "chase" involve "the poor" SX4 guy? If someone is driving sanely, does it mean his car can't drive as good as yours? But I am sure you must be on cloud nine having beaten both the cars
Old 21st February 2008, 14:03   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Seems more like a 18 year old wrath and prejudice.. ...what made you so sure, that your so called "chase" involve "the poor" SX4 guy? If someone is driving sanely, does it mean his car can't drive as good as yours? But I am sure you must be on cloud nine having beaten both the cars
You may be right about the cloud 9 part . But I could tell he wanted to race because he caught up with me at the toll gate and was trying to rev past. But the 'poor' guy vanished from my RVM after a few minutes.
Old 21st February 2008, 14:57   #127
Team-BHP Support

Suman, thanks for the pic dedicated to me. A clearer pic would have helped though.

Two years and 50K kms. I doubt my car would even clock half of that when it hits the two year mark in Sep.
Old 21st February 2008, 15:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys! Benny, clearer pics on the way; a camera phone from 6 floors up so......
Quote:
Wow, did you use your stock MRFs for 51K kms?
Yup, 51,303 kms to be exact. Two of them would have given racing slicks a run for their money though from what we saw .

Another update - picked up 4 Michelin Energy XM1+s at Rs 3,375 per tyre thanks to Ishan's contact at B K Tyres. 185x65x14s. We were hesitating a bit about the 65s because of the speedo error factor but Ishan whipped out his laptop & did the calculations - 2.2% which we both thought was acceptable. This means that when the speedo shows 160 kmph, it would actually be 157 kmph. Fair enough. And guys, please, we're talking speedo "indicated" here so lets not bring up speedo error which is a diferent topic altogether & would be there irrespective of shape & size.

Thanks Ishan for taking time out of your schedule to babysit me through the selection process & thanks to Prajesh as well for his invaluable inputs over the past couple of weeks.

Awright, now lets go & burn some rubber this weekend

Last edited by suman : 21st February 2008 at 15:18.
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:04   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This means that when the speedo shows 160 kmph, it would actually be 157 kmph.
Sorry guys, standing in the sun yesterday must have made the grey cells weak - the 2.2% error would be the other way round - when the speedo shows 160 kmph, actual would be 164 kmph
Old 25th February 2008, 10:34   #130
Senior - BHPian

First impressions - Michelin Energy XM1+

Drove her with the new footwear over the weekend; a huge difference over the earlier MRFs, definitely a more comfortable & noiseless ride. Wife & kids love it already & I enjoyed myself for whatever little distances that I covered. Haven't ripped my heart out yet, keeping in mind Ishan's note of caution about allowing the tyres to settle in for about 200-250 kms after the change. Did give into temptation only once late on Saturday night - she didn't disappoint & the resultant wheelspins sounded real good to my ears

Will keep you guys posted as we go along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Suman, thanks for the pic dedicated to me. A clearer pic would have helped though.
OK, here you go Benny, hope this makes ya happy. The long-awaited gallery is up as well -

New footwear, freshly shampooed, what else can one ask for!

Last edited by suman : 25th February 2008 at 10:36.
Old 25th February 2008, 11:11   #131
Senior - BHPian

Good pics, Suman.
Congrats for your new shoes! Your sxi looks well-maintained. I've noticed that you have a key socket on the boot. My car does not have this, leaving me only the remote and the dashboard button to open the boot.
Any chage in GC due to the Michelins?
Old 25th February 2008, 11:58   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good pics, Suman.
Congrats for your new shoes! Your sxi looks well-maintained. I've noticed that you have a key socket on the boot. My car does not have this, leaving me only the remote and the dashboard button to open the boot.
Any chage in GC due to the Michelins?
Thanks mate. Yup, the boot has a key socket too thought we've not had to use that option so far.

Very very marginal change on the GC I'd say - about 6.5mm, less than a centimeter, maybe a quarter of an inch.
Old 25th February 2008, 12:56   #133
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that everyone appreciates the new tyres Suman! Have fun with them & keep us psoted!
Old 25th February 2008, 13:32   #134
Team-BHP Support

The car looks really well-maintained, Suman.
Old 13th March 2008, 13:22   #135
alv

I have been searching for this thread for long , I am an newbie , was looking for a change of wheels from my OLD zen - read the better one not the estillo

Td the corolla - a class of its own but out of bounds even with discounts
Td the SXI fiesta last week was a complete thrill waiting to TD the NHC and SX4 before i make my mind -
A brief discussion over lunch at my workplace brings out the very common appeal go for NHC , but on the contrary i must admit after the TD last week my heart lies with the Fiesta .

eachtime i read the forums on the SXI , i get fonder to the car .

was just checking if ther any threads of more ownership surveys , comparisons within the same class and any reasale , service issues with the fiesta . MODs- Though its off topic need your help to get me the threads.

was informed by the sales guys at Bhavna ford that putting alloys will reduce the FE and power of the car as they are heavier - is that true

any chances that ford will introduce 2 airbags that makes it an complete beauty with the best make up in town .

I am also greatly impressed at the fine details provided in ownership reviews and must commend the owners of their information sharing that really useful to non technical guys like may keep the miles and smiles coming on guys

Most Viewed