Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 20:43   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Whats is power rating of the HID's? Is it the same as the originals? I hope they do not put any additional wattage load on the wiring otherwise they may get damaged in the long run.

With the ICE upgrade I am more confused than ever after researching so many options... LOLz. The Caskas and the MegaAudios are filled with features but somehow lacked in Audio quality. The best bet I presume is the Pioneer 4390 which lacks the GPS (but can be added separately at extra cost) It's about 22K on street price with India bill and warranty. Steering controls can be also made to work with it (as per feedback from Manuuj) aith an extra cost (2K) accessory. For now sticking to the OE 6 CD changer stereo as it has more than welcome audio quality (which is my primary need).
The HIDs are rated 35W.

The cost of satguide GPS addon is between 10 and 15K. 22k is too far high.

Steering wheel controls do work. I have the Pioneer AVH-P3250DVD and have used a steering control unit that comes for 2.5K - works well.

What's your take on MegaAudio? I am told by my installer that Caskas may not match Pioneer/Kenwood/Alpine in sound quality.
Old 5th October 2011, 21:05   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
22k is too far high.

What's your take on MegaAudio? I am told by my installer that Caskas may not match Pioneer/Kenwood/Alpine in sound quality.
I think you misread my previous post. 22K is the price of the head unit (Pioneer 4390 DVD 7" Touchscreen Model). GPS cost is extra and integrated MMI unit which attaches to the RGB port (Model BX200) is about 18~19k - MapmyIndia Navigator In Dash Car Navi box : With India's best maps and driving directions | Turn-by-turn directions | Travel across India so its quite costly.

Like I said before, MegaAudio quality is NOT up to the mark of the Pioneers etc.
Old 5th October 2011, 22:56   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The HIDs are rated 35W.
Are the HIDs more powerful than than stock setup? Has visibility increased on 1. highbeam and 2. lowbeam? I find the highbeam to be quite powerful, and the lowbeam to be average. I have 70% VLT sunfilm on windscreen, and haven't had issues driving fast at night. But if visibility is significantly better, then I will consider putting HIDs. I do have the Blitzs for fast night drives on those really dark and empty roads.

@ ARoy, Dkaile, HG: add one more to the team!

Last edited by nilanjanray : 5th October 2011 at 23:03.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:25   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noted Herr' Generale'. An actual user report is more accurate than a casual 5 minute walk-through. But I did feel that the Scorpio's quality has deteriorated over the years. Cost cutting perhaps?
Hi dkaile,
Absolutely true. I have heard some of my chums who own the latest Scorpio mention that the panel thickness has indeed gone down and they easily bend/dent etc. compared to the earlier days. And you bet it is done to keep the price competitive and neutralise the effect of adding more flashy electronic gizmos which public gets swayed by these days rather than a hardcore tough, working beast. All showbiz you know. And there is no biz like the showbiz as someone famously said.
Old 6th October 2011, 13:58   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Said Aroy!
Prado is quite similar to the Fortuner in dimensions and engine. They are asking nearly 2.5 times the price just for the gizmos they have added. Toyota does ask for a 'steep' price for their high-end quality. Basic quality 'in the essentials' will do for me for now... lolz

Like you, I too like to be in manual control of my vehicles. Not all upgrades (read computerisation) are incremental as discussed on many 4x4 threads going on in TBhp and also on many 4x4 guides I have been reading recently.
At least with Toyota, you expect the electronics to last beyond two years, at which point most of the European cars experience a failure or two.

In my opinion the gizmos are offered by manufactures primarily to
. Have a feature list to justify the premium charged. This premium has no correlation to the actual cost of the gizmos offered.
. Hypnotize the average Joe into thinking that he is getting the best the technology to offer, and that by giving in to the indulgence he will be one up on the neighbour.
. Give the average Joe a break. He can now drive the car with nary a thought as it will take care of gear shift, slippery roads, occasional hill descent and you name it. He can even take his foot off the pedal and cruise along. Of course this makes diving so boring that the driver may fall asleep, and no Gizmo will save him (of course we have a driver snooze monitor for special occasions!)

Let me take the case of Safari 4x4

Lx - not offered. Why?
EX - Rs. 1,030,927
GX - Rs. 1,145,485
VX - Rs. 1,255,696

So I am charged 2.25L for alloys, ABS and rest is electronics. As discussed in other threads the ABS unit will not cross 40K and alloys another 25K, resulting in at least 1.5L for electronics most of us do not need.

In case of Scorpio it is even worse as they do not give 4x4 at lower trim levels, and charge similar markup for the Gizmos, which if I am not wrong are rarely appreciated.
Old 8th October 2011, 20:14   #201
Senior - BHPian

Some Notes on RPM figures at different speeds -

80 kmph - 1500 RPM
100 kmph - 2000 RPM
120 kmph - 2500 RPM
140 kmph - 2900 RPM

These figures were noted today on my trip to Moradabad. I could not manage speeds over 140kmph due to the heavy traffic/obstructions as stated earlier.

Last Fuel Efficiency figures are 9.7 km/l (MID stated 10.4 km/l). These figures were achieved on 50% Highway+ 50% city driving

At 140kmph, MID figures dropped considerably to 9.9 from 10.5 km/l

Some shots of today -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-moradabad-trip-08102011-2.jpg
Nano & The Beast

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-moradabad-trip-08102011-3.jpg
Sunset at the Ganges

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-moradabad-trip-08102011-1.jpg

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-fortuner-moradabad-trip-08102011-4.jpg
Bridge at the River 'Ganga'

Disclaimer: The photos while driving were not shot by the driver (me).

Last edited by dkaile : 8th October 2011 at 20:18.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 08:14   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@dkalie:

Cruisability is a huge win that Fortuner Scores over the Pajero. At 140 kmph, Pajero 2.8 is at above 4000 RPM sapping the mileage and increasing the engine noise.
Old 10th October 2011, 09:52   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Cruisability is a huge win that Fortuner Scores over the Pajero. At 140 kmph, Pajero 2.8 is at above 4000 RPM sapping the mileage and increasing the engine noise.
Bang on 4x4addict. Highway cruising is one of the lesser known strong points of the Fortuner which I am now discovering and I could never achieve such speeds and poise so effortlessly in my previous vehicles.

-------------

A Note on Speed:
Our Indian roads are not meant for driving over 140kmph under most circumstances and many high end sedan's capabilities of cruising at 160~180kmph speeds will go unused in our environment throughout the life of the vehicle. The most safe and stable speeds are in the 100~120 range and that too on the toll roads.
Old 10th October 2011, 18:15   #204
Senior - BHPian

High speed cruising: not that unused if you read the ownership experiences. That is a key aspect that makes the vehicle such a good allrounder.
Old 10th October 2011, 18:51   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
High speed cruising: not that unused if you read the ownership experiences. That is a key aspect that makes the vehicle such a good allrounder.
Indeed Nilanjan ji; A 2 tonne vehicle which is under 3K rpm with 5 adults on board in 5th gear at 140kmph, will surely feel planted. Minimal road noise filtered and I could hardly hear the engine at all.

Most engines will stuggle to beat this but then bling seems more important nowadays than the core driving essentials!!

Last edited by dkaile : 10th October 2011 at 18:55.
Old 19th October 2011, 12:22   #206
Senior - BHPian

Some Night Snaps from my mobile snapper -

Its a nice place to be at the wheels of the Falcon. Understated Elegance...
(The steering mounted switches also light up, though somehow missed on this photo)
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-imag0196.jpg

Seamless center console at night. All boundaries disappear...
Notice the MID saying 10kmpl, and that's all in the city.
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-imag0197.jpg

Crystal clear functionality from the illuminated (adjustable) instrument panel. No 'garish' distracting lights...
Odo yet to touch the 2K mark.
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-imag0198.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 19th October 2011 at 12:26.
Old 19th October 2011, 12:42   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Most certainly this would be added to our garage when we retire the Innova. Word has already been put out to various people including some across neighbouring states to keep out an eye for a good 2nd hand TOFU. The new one costs a fortune although if Toyota launches the 2 wheel drive variant at less then 20L OTR in Delhi, we will get the new one.

BTW would love to read a small comparo between your TOFU and the Innova whenever you are free specially in terms of seating comfort, NVH levels and drive-ability both in the city and on the highways.
Old 19th October 2011, 13:05   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
BTW would love to read a small comparo between your TOFU and the Innova whenever you are free specially in terms of seating comfort, NVH levels and drive-ability both in the city and on the highways.
Lolz, well that created some controversy when I posted that in the earlier pages, so would not like to get into that again.

However just a two days back, a close relative had come visiting us with his Innova (G) and I had a chance to drive it for some short distance. It had 1,75,000 on the odo and was going quite strong and ageing quite elegantly (a trademark of all Toyota's). Seat comfort was almost similar as was the boot space to the Falcon, though the front seats of the Fortuner are better as they are 'Sports Type' with higher padding and under thigh support. Also the full 'leather' trim gives it more plushness.

Main difference I felt was in the image of the vehicle. It certainly looked 2 steps down and the 'Taxi' image doesn't help either. The Fortuner almost looked 1.5 times upsized from the Innova on the outside. I forgot to take back to back photos of the two and would like to place one shortly of the Qualis (which is almost similar in size to the Innova) and Fortuner and there you will realise that even though Innova/Qualis feel very roomy inside, from the outside they are quite dwarfed by the massively tyred Fortuner.

But, in terms of seating comfort and NVH, both are quite similar. Although in driveability the Fortuner will win hands down due to its massive 3.0L heart and a racing car type pick-up paralling most modern sedans due to the enourmous torque on hand.

On bad roads, the Innova will be less bumpier, though on well paved expressways, the Fortuner inspires higher degree of confidence.

Last edited by dkaile : 19th October 2011 at 13:09.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 20:39   #209
Senior - BHPian

2000 KM Report (20-10-2011 2PM)

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-imag0204.jpg

So the ODO touched 2K mark today at 2 months 10 days from delivery date. OK OK so I am a little slow but that's my mileage.

- No Niggles reported till date.
- Actual FE is about 9.5kmpl with 60% city driving, MID shows 10km/l
Some observations -
- Engine does not stop with a big jerk unlike My Qualis or the Innova I recently drove
- Except the big size, there is nothing much to hate in the city.
- The linear accelleration parallels best in class. Max speed attained till now were paralleling the best I have heard till now in India in safe driving conditions and always with seat belts on and that too only on toll road expressway. I however always suggest people not to exceed the 100~120kmph band on our Indian roads and that too only on expressways.
- Put 'Bulletproof' in the CD Player by 'La Roux' at 320kbps and enjoy the ASL (Auto Sound Level) with increasing speed at 60kmph. Bottomline - The stock system sounds good with sufficient bass even without a Sub.

Some photos of today's excursion -

Incidently the ODO touched 2K mark just opp. the A S S on the Meerut bye-pass
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-imag0206.jpg

I was en-route to the newly opened 'Walmart' in Meerut. Yes, its here and its the 1st in NCR. Not even Delhi has one yet. I was told it's the 10th in India and 1st of UP/NCR. What a experience that was!!
Name:  IMAG0199.jpg
Views: 1755
Size:  95.8 KB

You can see the neat planning. It has a parking of more than a 1000 cars.
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-imag0200.jpg

It is incidently owned by a friend and I have come to know from some sources that he is getting a rent of 22L per month for this!!! What will happen to Indian Realty!!
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-imag0201.jpg

What greeted me inside. Just at the SeaFood stall. I am a fanatic for that and couldn't resist taking these shots. Never could dream of getting these in a small city like Meerut. Lobsters, Tiger Prawns, Pomfrets.. Yummee.
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-imag0180.jpg

You can also relish a Shark at just 199/- a kg.
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-imag0181.jpg

Just for information a Kissan Ketchup of 1kg costing 105/- MRP was for just 67/- bucks!! God, now I know why the retailers are up in arms against 'Bharti Walmart'. These people will close down your local 'kirana' shops...

Adieu...
The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-imag0202.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 20th October 2011 at 20:50.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 20:51   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

- Put 'Bulletproof' in the CD Player by 'La Roux' at 320kbps and enjoy the ASL (Auto Sound Level) with increasing speed at 60kmph. Bottomline - The stock system sounds good with sufficient bass even without a Sub.

Incidently the ODO touched 2K mark just opp. the A S S on the Meerut bye-pass
1) That is very very subjective. Good you are satisfied with the sound system. You better not hear an aftermarket one otherwise you will be bitten by the ICE bug. But even for OE systems, Skodas, VWs have very good ones much better than Hondas and Toyotas.

2) Still 2k My Bimmers already at 900. Use it more sir.

Most Viewed