Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2011, 11:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm sorry but I think you are going a bit over the top here with praises for the Fortuner. Some of it has no reasoning. We all give the Fortuner its due credit.

The Fortuner can be compared to the Innova, it depends what the person buying is looking for. If its for carrying a family or for comfort they can be compared. If its for offroading or image then of course not.

I understand you have the car and of course everyone does have a soft spot for their car.
Akshay ji/Devdath ji, it was not my intention to hurt anyone, and though I respect your opinion very much and I know your 'Pet'd Toyota Innova' may have taken bad to some of my comments, but I am NOT going over the top at all. I have owned the Corrollas and Qualises and have amply driven in the Innovas and can surely say that when people compare the Innova to a Fortuner, they are the ones going over the top. Fortuner is and will be in a different league all together and all Innova owners and prospective TFort owners should understand that fact. That was my intention only.

- Also I disagree with your POV that 3rd row of Fortuner has less space. It doesn't. The middle row are slid-able and if put in proper position have equivalent if not more space. And the boot space is 'actually' usable with all 3 seats down which can accommodate couple or more of medium sized suitcases which Innova and Qualis cannot with all seats down.

- Also the leather quality is built to last and gives a total wrap (including the doors, gears, steering etc.) around feel and hence costlier than out-market ones.

- The Optitron system may be the same but the housings and Chrome ring give it a much upmarket feel.

- Now technology used in Antenna is definitely upmarket and there is no need to slide down the window to raise the antenna. Isn't that what a premium car should give you unlike the Innova. Even my years old Cielo had a power antenna and this is one of the sore points in Toyota's until the TFort. That is the class difference I was referring to.

- And its not a 10L difference but just a 7 lac one between the V variant with which you are comparing (30% less). And more so if the on-road pricing is considered at which I got it. Then the difference is even less, in fact just 5 lacs. It's definitely worth much more than that...

So people should STOP comparing Innova with the Fortuner. This is from a Corolla/Qualis owner's point of view...

Just my 2 cents, no offense meant... Sorry for the formatting but there seems some site issues and all my points have got clubbed in one paragraph.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th August 2011 at 15:12. Reason: As requested
Old 17th August 2011, 12:21   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Akshay ji/Devdath ji, it was not my intention to hurt anyone, and though I respect your opinion very much and I know your 'Pet'd Toyota Innova' may have taken bad to some of my comments, but I am NOT going over the top at all.
You have not hurt anyone sir. I respect your opinion too. As for my Innova, I know its in a different category.

I have owned the Corrollas and Qualises and have amply driven in the Innovas and can surely say that when people compare the Innova to a Fortuner, they are the ones going over the top. Fortuner is and will be in a different league all together and all Innova owners and prospective TFort owners should understand that fact.
The Fortuner is in a different league but since when has that stopped people from comparing? Like I said it all depends on what one wants from the vehicle.

Also the leather quality is built to last and gives a total wrap (including the doors, gears, steering etc.) around feel and hence costlier than out-market ones.
Well the Stanley option which I mentioned would include the steering wheel, doors, gear boots etc. It is built to last, no doubt, but the feel etc cannot be compared to something like Stanley.

- The Optitron system may be the same but the housings and Chrome ring give it a much upmarket feel. - Now technology used in Antenna is definitely upmarket and there is no need to slide down the window to raise the antenna. Isn't that what a premium car should give you unlike the Innova. Even my years old Cielo had a power antenna and this is one of the sore points in Toyota's until the TFort.
Again even with the antenna down it catches good enough signal. But yes its a part of the feel good factor. Thats what I mean when I say Toyota is making overpriced cars, besides the Altis which offers great features at a good price. A 14l Innova should definitely have it.

That is the class difference I was referring to. - And its not a 10L difference but just a 7 lac one between the V variant with which you are comparing (30% less). And more so if the on-road pricing is considered at which I got it. Then the difference is even less, in fact just 5 lacs. It's definitely worth much more than that... So people should STOP comparing Innova with the Fortuner.
Well I thought the Fortuner was around 23 on road Mumbai, and the Innova V around 13.5. The prices may be wrong on my part, but still everywhere else in the world they are much closer priced. People are going to compare, you can't stop them.
My replies above in bold.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I would like to end it here Akshay ji by saying that once you will own a Fortuner, your point of view will definitely change.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:38   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Akshay ji/Devdath ji, it was not my intention to hurt anyone, and though I respect your opinion very much and I know your 'Pet'd Toyota Innova' may have taken bad to some of my comments, but I am NOT going over the top at all. I have owned the Corrollas and Qualises and have amply driven in the Innovas and can surely say that when people compare the Innova to a Fortuner, they are the ones going over the top.
No offense taken dKaile, and that is the beauty of an open forum. We agree to disagree.

Coming to the comparison, the Fortuner is undoubtedly amongst the best SUVs in its segment only bettered by the Pajero in all areas except engine power, and that is why it sells.

However, like Akshay said, the Innova offers as much kit in terms of on road comfort, interior space, and reliability and ASC quality as the Fortuner.

Chalo then, lets get back on track with your beast and its life with you.
Old 17th August 2011, 13:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

The Fortuner is an allrounder, true blue SUV that can handle offroading and fast, cross-country highway runs. All these Innova vs. Fortuner comparisons are valid only for those who don't or don't want to use the Fortuner the way it is meant to be used. Is the Fortuner overpriced @ > 50K USD? Yes. So are all its competitors. We Indians get ripped off w.r.t. vehicle prices - can't do anything about it.

@ Devnath: Regarding Pajero vs. Fortuner: "only bettered by the Pajero in all areas except engine power" - I disagree after checking out both the vehicles. Anyway, Manuuj has a Pajero, Fortuner and a Range Rover - you should read his feedback on all three vehicles. We should give more weightage to an owner's feedback - covering many thousands of kms - over opinions and conjectures powered by short or occasional test drives/drives.
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 13:54   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
We should give more weightage to an owner's feedback - covering many thousands of kms - over opinions and conjectures powered by short or occasional test drives/drives.
Similarly, there are people on the forum who have bought a Pajero after comparing it to a Fortuner Nilanjanray, and are happy with it for completely genuine reasons.

So, like I said, let us agree to disagree and not make point blank statements on each other's knowledge and depth of understanding.

PS: Your opinion about the Pajero too is only from your short or occasional test drive/drive, right?

Last edited by n.devdath : 17th August 2011 at 13:56.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Similarly, there are people on the forum who have bought a Pajero after comparing it to a Fortuner Nilanjanray, and are happy with it for completely genuine reasons.

So, like I said, let us agree to disagree and not make point blank statements on each other's knowledge and depth of understanding.

PS: Your opinion about the Pajero too is only from your short or occasional test drive/drive, right?
My point was that Manuuj has both the vehicles - unlike others who have just one or none of them - did you not get that?

Folks, a request - let's not come into a new owner's thread and rain on his parade. I see many people criticizing the Fortuner in quite a few threads - which is fine - own opinion - but I feel it is not fair to do so on an ownership thread that has started recently.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 17th August 2011 at 14:48.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 14:48   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The Fortuner is an allrounder, true blue SUV that can handle offroading and fast, cross-country highway runs. All these Innova vs. Fortuner comparisons are valid only for those who don't or don't want to use the Fortuner the way it is meant to be used. Is the Fortuner overpriced @ > 50K USD? Yes. So are all its competitors. We Indians get ripped off w.r.t. vehicle prices - can't do anything about it.
But yet at a similar price competitors offer more features than the Fortuner. And how many of the owners actually use it for offroading? It is bought mainly for the image by most people. Anyway sorry for this OT.

@ Devnath: Regarding Pajero vs. Fortuner: "only bettered by the Pajero in all areas except engine power" - I disagree after checking out both the vehicles. Anyway, Manuuj has a Pajero, Fortuner and a Range Rover - you should read his feedback on all three vehicles. We should give more weightage to an owner's feedback - covering many thousands of kms - over opinions and conjectures powered by short or occasional test drives/drives.
Its that short or occasional test drive which leaves a lasting impression no? An owner will have time to get used to the faults of the vehicle, and will most of the time give positive feedback. And he has every right to considering he has spent his hard earned money on the car. But blindly praising is just silly, again this is not directed at you nilanjan. I've seen people give negative reviews of the car only when something really horrible happens with it.

Again dkaile, I agree the Fortuner is a brilliant vehicle in its own right. Apologies if I offended you in any way.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 17th August 2011 at 14:49.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:48   #54
BHPian

I would also like to enter the my-car-is-better-than-yours debate but I guess with a Santro in the garage, I don't have much to argue. Having said that and agreeing to nilinjanray's sentiment, I would like to appreciate dkaile for his choice i.e The Toyota Fortuner. A very impressive vehicle indeed. I wish dkaile many wonderful miles with the Falcon and looking forward to the ownership experiences in this space. Cheers!
Old 17th August 2011, 19:19   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
I would also like to enter the my-car-is-better-than-yours debate but I guess with a Santro in the garage, I don't have much to argue. Having said that and agreeing to nilinjanray's sentiment, I would like to appreciate dkaile for his choice i.e The Toyota Fortuner. A very impressive vehicle indeed. I wish dkaile many wonderful miles with the Falcon and looking forward to the ownership experiences in this space. Cheers!
Thank You BBR_SHR; I would like to end this debate by saying that we should all let the numbers do the talking - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2469650

It is like a forbidden fruit whose taste can only be truly described by the ones who experience it...

-------------

Coming back to Channel Falcon, I am adding some more interior photos that were left out and 'some' exterior/engine shots -

INTERIOR / EXTERIOR SHOTS (cont...)

Lets start with some of the beautiful chrome logos -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-toyota-logo-boot.jpg
The beautiful Toyota logo on the boot

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-3l-d4d.jpg
The 3Litre D4D Engine moniker just ahead of the drivers seat

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-door-handle.jpg
The solid and built to last chrome handles which are pull type and wont spoil the nail polishes of the better half

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-outside-side-mirror-left.jpg
The beautiful full chrome side view mirror which electrically folds in rush hour traffic without opening the windows

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-rear-reflectors.jpg
The rear reflectors below the back lights have a separate slot

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-roof-rails.jpg
The Classic Roof Rails; an identity in its own right

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-side-step.jpg
The solid side step; will be most appreciated by senior citizens and children for easy ingress and regress

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-tyre.jpg
And how can an exterior Fortuner shoot be complete without the traditional shot of the muscular 17 incher alloyed Dunlops...

Some Interior Shots which were left out last time -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-centre-armrest-back.jpg
The Middle Row Armrest (foldable)

Name:  Bonnet Fuel Openers.JPG
Views: 4229
Size:  157.3 KB
The colour coded Bonnet and Fuel Lid openers

Now a little bit about the quality of the seats, their leather quality and also the quality of their stitching. Truly built to last -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-driver-seat-sports.jpg
The wide leather driver's seat set in sports style; also note the height and recline adjuster

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-driver-seat-side-stitch.jpg
The very wide driver's seat side; gives ample support in all the right places

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-driver-seat-headrest.jpg
The leather driver seat head rest

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-driver-seat-headrest-stitch.jpg
And the quality of its stitching and leather; just class...

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-driver-side-coolers-closed.jpg
Front (both side) Cup Holder's in a closed position; Cools your Pepsi can

A lot has been said about the LEG SPACE. i would like to highlight that too -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-leg-space-2nd-row.jpg
The middle row leg space and low center tunnel. Note that the front seat is adjusted to my driver's position and I am 6'

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-leg-space-3rd-row.jpg
The 3rd Rows Leg Space. Now you make the call...

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-seat-belt-slot-2nd-row.jpg
Recessed seat belt slots in the middle row; Wont hurt your behind.

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-steering-adjust-rake.jpg
The Steering Rake adjust lever

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-oplay-car-fragrance.jpg
A new addition : OPlay car perfume

Some final shots for today - The Engine

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-engine-bay.jpg
The Main Engine Bay; Everything neatly laid out and as the General said enough space for a one room apartment... lolz

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-engine-bay-battery-exide.jpg
The Power House - Exide

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-engine-bay-right.jpg
The Right side of the engine; Note the Fuse box and The Diesel Filter plus enough free space to fit a seat?

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-engine-bay-left.jpg
The left side of the engine; Note the air filter, coolant jar, et al

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-engine-bay-abs.jpg
The ABS and Brake Oil

Enjoy

Last edited by dkaile : 17th August 2011 at 19:34.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 20:34   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
Sorry bro there is no my car is better than yours debate. And there are enough of ways that a Santro is better than an Innova and a Fortuner.

Quote:
Thank You BBR_SHR; I would like to end this debate by saying that we should all let the numbers do the talking -
Sales numbers don't show how good or bad a vehicle is. This is has been discussed enough. Anyway I too wish you many wonderful miles with your car. And yes at the moment it is the only proper SUV available at its price point, which is why Toyota is getting away with the price. I'm not against the Fortuner in any way, heck if I was looking for an SUV I would pick up one in a flash. But lets just not go overboard praising our cars, there are many potential buyers reading this too, and they should not get mislead. I rest my case.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they should not get mislead. I rest my case.
Akshay ji, I am not here to mislead anybody nor am I a Toyota employee. Those are harsh words for me and I did not expect the same from a Distinguished BHPian. I am letting my pictures (and the sales figures) do the talking and whatever I am speaking I am validating with my pictures. If you feel otherwise, you are free to open a Rebuttal Topic with equivalent proofs.

Last edited by dkaile : 17th August 2011 at 22:07.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 22:34   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay ji, I am not here to mislead anybody nor am I a Toyota employee. Those are harsh words for me and I did not expect the same from a Distinguished BHPian. I am letting my pictures (and the sales figures) do the talking and whatever I am speaking I am validating with my pictures. If you feel otherwise, you are free to open a Rebuttal Topic with equivalent proofs.
I did not mean them to be harsh. Apologies again if I have offended you. Again things like this has happened with the Safari, and the Punto to name a few. Our opinions differ, so be it. In my view it is going overboard praising the car, in your view it is not. I wish you the very best with your Fortuner, which again I am saying is a great car in its own right, so no need for me to open a rebuttal topic.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 23:14   #59
BHPian

"Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but yours is just wrong."
^^
Seems like this is the feeling that's been conveyed over the last few posts.

For one, an avid car enthusiast, buys a car of his choice and begins appreciating it the way he likes it.
The choice is, have a look - appreciate the thread, or move on..

And I don't think that an ownership thread can be misleading, specially if its ones personal views. Simply put - this thread is all about enjoying your car, new or old.

IMO - 'The agree to disagree' banter could have been done at the official T Fort review thread, rather than on someone's happy trip.

----------------------

@dkaile - u mentioned about setting the remote key operation with the inclusion of audio feedback.
Could you please explain how its done?

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 17th August 2011 at 23:23.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 00:11   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
"Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but yours is just wrong."
^^
Seems like this is the feeling that's been conveyed over the last few posts.
Seems like your putting words in my mouth.

For one, an avid car enthusiast, buys a car of his choice and begins appreciating it the way he likes it.
The choice is, have a look - appreciate the thread, or move on..
Just because I disagree with some parts does not mean I don't appreciate. I certainly appreciate the effort gone into taking pictures of the small things, with a Dslr and then resizing and uploading here.

And I don't think that an ownership thread can be misleading, specially if its ones personal views. Simply put - this thread is all about enjoying your car, new or old.
Not the thread itself, but small parts. For example dkaile saying the Fortuner has a better immobilizer than the Innova. It does not. And people will trust that statement simply because he is a tbhpian and we trust each other quite a lot.
You seem to have got offended too. Again I have nothing but respect for you guys, for being in a position to dish out this much for a car. But these are just my opinions, and a few people seem to agree with them, if you see the thanks on that post.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks