Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:13   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi dkaile,
That was a nice outing indeed. Mostly caught my eye for the goodies that you picked up for Falcon.
Must go to a accessories joint to get over the envy !

Now coming to some observations:
1. The 'huge' (?) difference between MID and tank to tank reading (10.1 Vs 9.25 KMPL) - even on the Admiral initially the difference was large but then as it settled down I think the difference has also narrowed. Do check periodically and let us know whether the readings settle down.

2. That muffler cutter - Any reason you picked it up now ? Only looks or some inherent benefits too ?

3. About the last paragraph - well, in open forums you always have a diverse range of opinions. As long as one realises that it is fine. No harm done !
Thanks Herr' Generale'! I go only for bare-bone necessary accessories. Nothing fancy here. ICE upgrade will be the biggest accessory upgrade I intend to make, maybe 6 months down the line. A photo of my phone being used as GPS navigation device with 4.3" screen will follow shortly.

1. Will keep all updated on that front. 9.25 may be due to heavy idling with AC on while I was searching all features and enjoying the ICE... lolz. The difference gap will also be updated. Can't trust the Fuel Stations here. Most have their meters fixed.

2. Looks are the primary benefactor. I don't like the iron rod sticking out at the back. A chrome ensemble will do it proud.

3. Aloha for that...

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd August 2011 at 13:16.
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
2. Looks are the primary benefactor. I don't like the iron rod sticking out at the back. A chrome ensemble will do it proud.
Hi dkaile,
Thanks.
Incidentally - could you see the way the M.Cutter is fixed ? Is there a gap between the external chrome shell and the tail pipe ?

The reason I am asking this is to check whether water can collect in the space between the cutter and tail pipe causing the TP end to rust over a period of time. I had almost opted for it when getting the Admiral but dropped it as I was not certain about this aspect and forgot to check this at the dealer's outfit later on.
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Incidentally - could you see the way the M.Cutter is fixed ? Is there a gap between the external chrome shell and the tail pipe ?
The Muffler Cutter which is complete SS, is fixed by 2 Allen bolts, also incidentally made of SS. There is gap of few mm's between the tail pipe and the chrome shell. As the tail pipe is always hot, I dont think water will be able to collect over long periods of time. Hence, I doubt if that would lead to enhanced rusting. If anything, it will protect the iron shell of the tail pipe better than when it is left to the elements.

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd August 2011 at 13:53.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 16:34   #94
Senior - BHPian

I just discovered that the wading height of the Fortuner/Hilux is 700mm (600mm for the Pajero and 500mm for the VW Touareg - source); And if you add a proper Snorkel system to your air intake system, you can also do this (unbelievable stuff); Not that I am trying it anytime soon...

Also I found out, that our Fortuner is the exact same one doing duty in South Africa; though they have added options with Auto/Petrol etc. but same manual D4D 3.0L Diesel with 5 Gear all time 4WD transmission also exists. Its brochure is here and gives some nice accessory ideas which we can import from SA or try implementing here - http://www.toyota.co.za/picturedata/...ae76e576dc.pdf

Some views of the South African Fortuner doing duty over there since 2009, pretty similar to ours here -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-sa-front.jpg

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-fortuner-sa-back.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 24th August 2011 at 16:38.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 23:19   #95
BHPian

I liked the wading video, but did you hear that guy is telling at 01:26 that water is coming in through the vents.

If it was true then I wouldnt be doing such a thing, if I own a fortuner.
Old 25th August 2011, 01:01   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narchennai View Post
I liked the wading video, but did you hear that guy is telling at 01:26 that water is coming in through the vents.
When asked about immediate damage this is what the guy driving in the video had to say:

Quote:
At the time, the only immediate 'damage' was the stereo head unit blew up (water leaked through it).

Quote:
I guess that the guy in the video was trying a stunt. Trying to do such a thing will definitely compromise your vehicle.
Old 25th August 2011, 03:13   #97
Senior - BHPian

dkaile, our 3.0 D4D doesn't have VSC or rear diff locks (or is that optional?) that the South African 3.0 D4D has. Otherwise, the vehicles are the same.

Before buying the Tuna, during the research stage, I was very happy to know about the 700mm wading depth. Same as a Prado's, I believe.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 09:31   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hi dkaile,
Many thanks for that 'ASL tip' on the music system. Had completely missed that and used to manually increase/decrease the volume as the speeds rose or fell.
Set the ASL to 'Mid' and works rather well for my needs.

Looking forward to more such tips (however little !) to understand the vehicle's offerings better.
Yeah, yeah I know that everything's in the manual but after a certain stage or even earlier (!) you're too lazy to go through the manual and would like to be spoon fed like this !
Old 25th August 2011, 09:38   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just discovered that the wading height of the Fortuner/Hilux is 700mm (600mm for the Pajero and 500mm for the VW Touareg - source); And if you add a proper Snorkel system to your air intake system, you can also do this (unbelievable stuff); Not that I am trying it anytime soon...
Where is the starter motor for fortuner located? Lot of people don't think about that while water fording. If water enters that, you won't be able to start next time.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:45   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
When asked about immediate damage this is what the guy driving in the video had to say:

I guess that the guy in the video was trying a stunt. Trying to do such a thing will definitely compromise your vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Where is the starter motor for fortuner located? Lot of people don't think about that while water fording. If water enters that, you won't be able to start next time.
Like I mentioned earlier -
Quote:
Not that I am trying it anytime soon...
However it's nice to know your vehicle's capabilities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
dkaile, our 3.0 D4D doesn't have VSC or rear diff locks (or is that optional?) that the South African 3.0 D4D has. Otherwise, the vehicles are the same.

Before buying the Tuna, during the research stage, I was very happy to know about the 700mm wading depth. Same as a Prado's, I believe.
Yes, 700mm wading depth is among'st the highest. The starter motor must have been placed keeping that in mind. Anyways, I presume most of the electricals in these sort of vehicles are well protected from water, unless of course you plan to use them as a submarine... lolz. VSC etc. must be as an option over there. I would have liked the 6 airbags here also, though.
Quote:
Hi dkaile,
Many thanks for that 'ASL tip' on the music system. Had completely missed that and used to manually increase/decrease the volume as the speeds rose or fell.
Set the ASL to 'Mid' and works rather well for my needs.

Looking forward to more such tips (however little !) to understand the vehicle's offerings better.
Yeah, yeah I know that everything's in the manual but after a certain stage or even earlier (!) you're too lazy to go through the manual and would like to be spoon fed like this !
Will keep them coming Herr' Generale'! TOGO channel is a little slow nowadays; time to put some life back into it.

Last edited by dkaile : 25th August 2011 at 09:47.
Old 25th August 2011, 13:30   #101
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Meerut-Noida-Faridabad Trip - The 'Urban Jungle'

Hi Dkaile,

Thanks for sharing the travelogue! I've moved it to it's own independent thread so that:

- The ownership thread retains its focus

- The travelogue doesn't get lost in the middle of an ownership thread

Nice pictures, the T-Fort is built for touring.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:23   #102
Senior - BHPian

So I received this contraption today known as the BELKIN AC Anywhere - Power Inverter with USB Charging 200W, for my Falcon. Ordered it yesterday through Letsbuy.com here - Buy Belkin F5L071Ak200W Ac Anywhere + Usb Port + 200W at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews Received it today by Bluedart; MRP 1883/=; Costed me 1274/= after using RCOMLB1 discount coupon.

Use - As a USB port charger and also as an AC Power Inverter (200W) for using any AC appliance in the Falcon.

Some shots of the packing and the ports -

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-belkin-inverter-pack.jpg

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-belkin-inverter-pack-back.jpg

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-belkin-inverter-f.jpg

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-belkin-inverter-r.jpg
Notice the 220V Power socket, USB port, Low Battery and Overload Indicator lights - neat

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-belkin-inverter-l.jpg
Only the Fuse and an inbuilt Fan for cooling

The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last-belkin-inverter-b.jpg
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 15:28   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I received this contraption today known as the BELKIN AC Anywhere - Power Inverter with USB Charging 200W, for my Falcon.
@dkaile - This is a interesting contraption for the backbenchers while you are busy enjoying the Falcon.

One of the features listed on the packaging says - "prolongs automotive battery life". Now why would that happen??
Old 25th August 2011, 15:49   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
One of the features listed on the packaging says - "prolongs automotive battery life". Now why would that happen??
Thanks amitwlele. I presume they mean prolongs battery life in comparison to other such products, as it auto cut's off the supply if the battery voltage dips below 10.8V which can lead to permanent damage to the battery or at least lesser life, which this product prevents.

Last edited by dkaile : 25th August 2011 at 15:52.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 16:05   #105
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meerut-Noida-Faridabad Trip - The 'Urban Jungle'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing the travelogue! I've moved it to it's own independent thread
Thank you GTO ji; Though I would have liked some of the relevant ones to have stayed back on the ownership thread, like the Dealership photo, the speed and the bad roads the TFort is capable of, the X1 comparo, the FE figures, the Belkin and other accessory photos and finally the Muffler cutter. Those belong to the ownership thread and I request you to shift them if possible, otherwise no worries, I will post only the relevant ones again on the OT...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks