Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2013, 19:19   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Superb - The Saga Continues - 5 Years, 44,000 kms

I feel Hayek you were let down mainly by the DSG. And taking a Skoda to the ill trained ASC's creates more problems than solving them. 'Keep away from the ASC' as far as possible for the Skoda's is my formula to own a Skoda and if you need to be there then stand on their heads and get the job done. Their ill trained mechanics spoil more things than they can solve...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 19:45   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

@Hayek, I was *so* hoping you would buck the trend but it seems that the Superb jinx continues. Very sorry to hear about this development. Hopefully the 9K you have spent is the last major expense you incur and your car remains trouble-free after this.

It's almost laughable how the more expensive, upmarket cars fail with such regularity while lower-end cars chug on. But then I suppose we should thank God for small mercies
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 19:46   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

Engine failures at less than 32,500 kms. What next?

Hi Hayek - have read your thread and can relate to the issues which you have faced, I own a skoda too ( older VRS), I can understand that you had issues and unfortunately in the recent past, first off coil pack failing is an issue which though is advanced design, but is something that is known to need replacement, I would not call it an engine failure.

I am not going to talk about the DQ200 enough has already been said.The part which I can relate with a major issue is higher maintenance cost, but again if you were to compare the advanced technology vs technology which has been in existence for a while may not be a right compare. I am referring to e JAP cars available in our market.

In my personal experience of ownership, VAG cars give a great sense of driving pleasure, practical day to day usage, but with a flip side being more expensive to own. It is very easy for me to sit on a computer and preach, I would still recommend to not give up the car, my experience of an independent mechanic has helped lower the cost a bit, I use a combination of skoda authorized and independent garage in tandem depending on job needed.

Hang in there, the replacements have helped improve the car. Try to get that behind and enjoy the car.

Best - ML
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 19:49   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My C220 was blemish-free till 30,000 kms. It was all downhill from there onward. Know of several other Mercs & BMWs that suffered the same horrors. Once the money is paid and the car is home, the depreciation is too high to ignore. Suggest you start looking out for a good independent. I hope the worst is behind you
Thanks for the wishes and advice. Am looking for an independent in Bombay, though I will likely wait till I have clarity on this mineral oil DSG recall before moving away from authorised service. More than the cost though, my problem is with unplanned failures which are disruptive, especially as we are without a driver right now. I was reduced to taking a black and yellow everywhere while my car was at the service centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safeer View Post
@ Hayek : Sorry to hear about the excitement dying off on your Superb. Hope the bad times are behind your back, and enjoy
Thanks and best of luck with your Laura as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I feel Hayek you were let down mainly by the DSG. And taking a Skoda to the ill trained ASC's creates more problems than solving them. 'Keep away from the ASC' is my formula to own a Skoda and if you need to be there then stand on their heads and get the job done.
Actually, the DSG was not such a big issue. Given all the reported failures, I had almost been waiting for it, and it was handled fairly well. Hope it does not happen again though. The last two failures are what have gotten my goat. Niggling issues, which each cost money and time, take away the pleasure of owning a car. And frankly, stand on their heads and get things done does not work for me, as I would have no clue what they are doing even if I stood on their heads and I can barely spare time to drop off and pick up my car. While I can read your thread and admire how you look after your car, I don't have what it takes in terms of patience and skill to do that. Cheers.
Old 18th January 2014, 16:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

I have read through this thread in detail and have read similar experiences elsewhere in the forum too. Now, I don't know if this has been discussed before but we are all aware that VW is the parent company of Skoda, Audi, etc. We are also aware that there are parts shared with in the brand on different models. Similarly, the DSG is also used in the Polo, Vento, Jetta & Passat, right? So how come there we do not hear of DSG failures in VW cars, why only Skodas? Am I missing something here?
Old 18th January 2014, 18:56   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So how come there we do not hear of DSG failures in VW cars, why only Skodas? Am I missing something here?
Until the Polo GT TSi and Vento GT TSi were launched, there were no VW cars sold in India that used the DQ 200 dry type DSG gearbox which had been the focal point of problems. The recalls in China, the US and SE Asia affected mainly VW branded cars (and also some Audis and Skodas). So it is not that they discriminated against Skoda, just that we have only Skodas with this product in India.

In fact, the Superb 1.8 TSi is the only car that uses this gear box which has been around for over 2 years. And by and large, DSG failures have tended to happen after some time. Of course VW claims to have redesigned the mechatronics in late 2011, and has also updated the oil used to a mineral oil to fix this problem. But only time will tell if this is really true.

Last edited by Hayek : 18th January 2014 at 18:57.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:32   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Until the Polo GT TSi and Vento GT TSi were launched, there were no VW cars sold in India that used the DQ 200 dry type DSG gearbox which had been the focal point of problems. The recalls in China, the US and SE Asia affected mainly VW branded cars (and also some Audis and Skodas). So it is not that they discriminated against Skoda, just that we have only Skodas with this product in India.

In fact, the Superb 1.8 TSi is the only car that uses this gear box which has been around for over 2 years. And by and large, DSG failures have tended to happen after some time. Of course VW claims to have redesigned the mechatronics in late 2011, and has also updated the oil used to a mineral oil to fix this problem. But only time will tell if this is really true.
So are you saying that the DSG gearboxes introduced in the Polo GT TSi and Vento GT TSi are the new are improved boxes? If so, then yes only time will tell.

However, don't the Audi and Passat have the same auto gear box on the Superb since ages now?
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:11   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
However, don't the Audi and Passat have the same auto gear box on the Superb since ages now?
They don't. The Passat has the same box as the diesel Superb and Laura which has not been as troublesome. Low end Audis have CVT boxes, while the larger ones have different DSG boxes designed for longitudinal engines. The A3 sold in some markets uses the DQ 200 box and has had problems too.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 10:26   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Not updated this thread in quite a while. But life goes on, time flies, and my Superb is about to complete 4 years. That of course implied that it was time for the next service.

After last year's experience where there was quite a bit of work done which I had no clue about, I was a bit cautious, and gave very specific instructions to the service advisor about what needed to be done. I had been told when I went for repairs following the injector failure that my rear brake pads and perhaps the discs as well would need to be replaced at the next service. I told Autobahn that they could change the pads if needed, but should inspect the discs, and skim them if necessary, but I didn't think a replacement was justified. For good order's sake, I also asked them to inspect the front brake pads and discs. I also asked that wheel alignment not be done as I could get it done from outside. I was told to expect a cost of about Rs. 30,000 for the service assuming all pads have to be replaced, and discs skimmed.

As it happened, the bill turned out to be much lower. The rear brake pads were almost gone - and had to be replaced. But the discs turned out to be in good condition, and no action was taken on them. And I was also told that the front brake pads would easily last for another 10,000 kms - which would take me through the next year fairly easily. I was told that I should get my tires replaced in about 3000-4000 km more, and that the front suspension is somewhat weak and will need attention at the next service. But the overall approach was much more customer friendly than I had experienced in the past.

Overall damages came to ~ Rs. 17,500 - a classic case of underpromising and over delivering from Autobahn. Left the workshop a satisfied man. I could immediately feel the difference in the bite of the brakes with the new pads - its amazing how gradual deterioration in braking is not noticed while one uses a vehicle.

The bill is attached below

Skoda Superb: The saga ends at 57000 km-top_edited1.jpg

I got a detailed explanation for all bill items including the "Water Gallery cleaning" - this refers to a cleaning of the path within the bonnet to drain water during monsoons - if it is not cleaned, I am told that water could enter the car body and soak the carpets. Seems a bit expensive for that, but overall, the cost was not too high by Skoda standards. They also did a very good job of cleaning the interiors, and the underside of the body where tar and dirt had accumulated over time. Good enough such that I can postpone getting the car detailed until after the monsoons.

Am wondering what I should do with the tires - whether they should be replaced now, or after the monsoons. Will probably check with the tire dealer when I take it for balancing.

4 years / 36,000 kms. If I had bought the car under my company scheme, it would have been time to hand it back. But at this point in time, I plan to keep it for at least a year or two more. Lets hope it gives me good service in this period.
Hayek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 10:38   #145
Team-BHP Support

Thread depth matters mainly for driving in wet conditions, much more so than the dry. If the tyres are indeed nearing replacement, I would suggest you replace them before the monsoons.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 10:39   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I got a detailed explanation for all bill items including the "Water Gallery cleaning" - this refers to a cleaning of the path within the bonnet to drain water during monsoons - if it is not cleaned, I am told that water could enter the car body and soak the carpets. Seems a bit expensive for that, but overall, the cost was not too high by Skoda standards. They also did a very good job of cleaning the interiors, and the underside of the body where tar and dirt had accumulated over time. Good enough such that I can postpone getting the car detailed until after the monsoons.

This is essential as if these are not cleaned water will seep through the pollen filter and soak the front footwells. I t can also screw up some ECU's which are located low down and behind the firewall
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 17:57   #147
BANNED

Quote:
....The last two failures are what have gotten my goat. Niggling issues, which each cost money and time, take away the pleasure of owning a car. And frankly, stand on their heads and get things done does not work for me, as I would have no clue what they are doing even if I stood on their heads and I can barely spare time to drop off and pick up my car. While I can read your thread and admire how you look after your car, I don't have what it takes in terms of patience and skill to do that...
Have just gone over your thread now and it is regrettable to see the problems you are facing.

Without going into the causes or an analysis of the car’s history etc let me just say that there is a certain tipping point in the life of cars after which there are continuous and repetitive problems. This tipping point seems to have been crossed in the life of your car.

Several factors contribute to this and there really is no purpose served going into them at this point in time. There may be an occasional respite from problems but let me warn you that it is just the calm before another storm.

It would be in your best interests to sell this car at the earliest and opt for a car that suits your usage pattern better and it could be better to stick to the Japanese or Koreans as it would give you far greater peace of mind. At end of the day, this is a lot more important than the additional feel of luxury or driving pleasure that you may get with your current car.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 29th April 2014 at 18:01.
Old 29th April 2014, 18:54   #148
BHPian

Yes I too agree with VeyronSuperSprt.

In my opinion you should sell this car as soon as possible while it is in perfect working condition.

Let's get this straight, cars like the superb,accord,camry are meant to be used as work horses for daily use and are used as such abroad. They must be able to work flawlessly and are meant to serve their owners dutifully for atleast 7-8 years. That is their main purpose.

If your Superb continuously fails in this aspect. I see no other reason to keep it.
We buy cars like these so that they serve our purpose and not the other way around where we keep running around places to take care of our cars.

I am so angry at the fact that we Indians are being taken for a ride by Skoda India.
They are acting as if they have sold us a Bentley and hence justifying their lousy attitude towards their customers wherein fact what it actually is nothing more than a budget daily use car everywhere else.

I too have had experience with skoda. I will admit that it was nowhere near bad as yours or serious. But the A.S.S experience was just horrifying.

The car was giving too many problems and I sold it within a year and took a depreciation loss of nearly 50% on my 1 year old 6 lakhs Fabia. But you know what? It was definitely worth it. Now I can sleep in peace.
Well sort of, since the replacement for the Fabia is a Polo Gt TDI. (Praying that this one wouldn't go wrong)

If you are really uncomfortable with keeping your car and if your heart says to let go of it. I think you should do it before another bomb goes off and your wallet gets hurt.

Again this is just my humble opinion. Maybe there are better options.

Hope it turns out all right for you.

Good Luck.
Old 30th April 2014, 06:43   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
?..there is a certain tipping point in the life of cars after which there are continuous and repetitive problems. This tipping point seems to have been crossed in the life of your car. .... There may be an occasional respite from problems but let me warn you that it is just the calm before another storm.

It would be in your best interests to sell this car at the earliest and ... stick to the Japanese or Koreans as it would give you far greater peace of mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
In my opinion you should sell this car as soon as possible while it is in perfect working condition.

Hope it turns out all right for you.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the concern and suggestions. However, at least at this point in time, I intend to keep this car for the foreseeable future - viz 2-3 years more. Why? Firstly, from an economic standpoint, it just does not make sense to sell a 4 year old car. The extra investment to buy a similar category car would be upwards of Rs. 20 l. Just the interest on that is almost Rs. 2 l a year post tax. Hence unless the maintenance cost gets to that kind of range or the car is so unreliable as to be unusable (both of which are not yet true), it does not make sense to switch.

The other question is what do you switch to? The Accord has been withdrawn, the Camry is over priced, under equipped and nowhere near as nice to drive, and a diesel premium does not make sense for about 9000 km per annum running that I do. So unless I wish to move up to a luxury German, the Superb is still probably the best choice for people with my kind of budget. Chances that I buy a Japanese or Korean car are frankly non existent ( at least till Lexus or Acura debut here).
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 22:58   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick update. I got my Superb a new set of shoes early today. As mentioned by me a few posts ago, I had been advised that I need to change my tires in the near future, and I decided to take up @crazydriver's suggestion that I should do it before the monsoon. As it happened, late May and early June were extremely busy at work (the post election pick up in banking activity), and I was scheduled to go on a European vacation for two weeks starting mid June.

While I got back over two weeks ago, my first priority was catching up with work, and completing my tax return preparation, and it was only today that I was able to think about getting new tyres for my car. Fortunately, my running has been very limited in this period, and I had covered only 1600 km since my last service. However, a Lonavala visit is on the cards, and I didn't want to put off the tyre change any further.

Spent some time going through the different threads to see if there were any new ideas for tyres for the Superb, and was somewhat surprised to find that a number of the Superb tyre related threads had no posts in a long time. However, I did find the thread on the new Michelin Primacy 3 ST tires quite interesting, and decided to consider the same.

Next, I spent some time calling up different tyre dealers to check immediate availability of tyres in the stock size for the Superb - 205/55 R16. The 4-5 dealers I called seemed to have fairly limited selection - Yokohama A Drives (about Rs. 7400), Goodyear NCT5s (roughly the same) and Michelin Primacy 3STs (about Rs. 10,000 per tyre). I went across to the nearest dealer, who had offered me a slightly larger discount on the Michelins. When I reached there, he turned around and started pushing the Yokohama's case very strongly. I was confused for a while and debated whether spending Rs. 10,000+ extra for the Michelins was worthwhile, but ultimately decided against the Yokohamas because the dealer overplayed his hand and was pushing me too hard. When I told him to get me the Michelins, he confessed that he did not have them in stock, but claimed he would source them in a few more hours.

I decamped and went to the next dealer, about 2 km further down the road. He had the Primacys in stock, and promptly fitted the same. I picked up only 4 tyres, and had the best of the NCTs fitted on my steel rim as a spare. Let's hope this gives me good service.

My initial observation from the rather congested drive back home was that the Primacys are noticeably quieter than the NCT5s.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks