Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 21:15   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks everyone for your comments. More pictures would have to be taken - shall try to overcome my inertia on that count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat
Good detailed review. Why didn't you consider the Superb diesel?

How is the steering on the Superb? Is it light-ish like the Laura?
I did not think a diesel makes sense at ~10,000 kms p.a. Didn't think the government would be stupid enough to let the diesel subsidy explode the way it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye

And when I read the word "hiccups", I was expecting some real "hiccups"...
Tyre punctures, fuel consumption in Nariman Point are probably, general issues.

bonnet opening lever on the left hand side - definately shocking (but didn't you notice that when you bought or took the TD? - just curious)

How about the central A/C vents fogging the windscreen?
How is your feedback on the awesome DSG? I wish they offered it on the Laura Tsi as well.

I drive the 1.8Tsi Laura - Goodyears (Eagle NCT 5's) have not caused any trouble . In fact they do not even loose air at any noticeable pace - I check air pressure (when cold) every month and have to refill only once in 3 months

Cheers!
Agree, no real cribs so far. Didnt notice the bonnet lever, quite embarassing. No real issues with fogging that the wipers dont address. The engine gearbox combination is great, you don't ever feel the need to slot into S mode. You are lucky with your tyres, good for you.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 21:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: (Skoda) Superb So Far - Update at 2.5 years / 26,000 kms

Nice review. Congratulations.

If you were on the lookout for an AT why did you let go the 2L oil burner with DSG. It is an equally entertaining engine. There is also the advantage of lower running cost, and most important you could have got yourself the DSG. The best AT in Indian market!!
Old 17th August 2011, 07:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Nice review. Congratulations.

If you were on the lookout for an AT why did you let go the 2L oil burner with DSG. It is an equally entertaining engine. There is also the advantage of lower running cost, and most important you could have got yourself the DSG. The best AT in Indian market!!
Even the 1.8 TSI petrol comes with the DSG box. Difference is, diesel have the 6-speed, whereas the TSI AT is 7-speed DSG. Both are quite awesome
Old 17th August 2011, 20:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even the 1.8 TSI petrol comes with the DSG box. Difference is, diesel have the 6-speed, whereas the TSI AT is 7-speed DSG. Both are quite awesome
I thought the 1.8 Tsi is available only in 6 speed manual. Oops I was thinking about the Laura. My bad.

BTW does it make a difference between 6 speed and 7 speed. Sometimes the 6th gear is welcome. But 7 speed is a bit too much to handle. Thank god it is a DSG. With 7 speed manual I would be.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen

I thought the 1.8 Tsi is available only in 6 speed manual. Oops I was thinking about the Laura. My bad.

BTW does it make a difference between 6 speed and 7 speed. Sometimes the 6th gear is welcome. But 7 speed is a bit too much to handle. Thank god it is a DSG. With 7 speed manual I would be.
I thought you were responding the Anand on the Laura TSi. Can't say if a 6 or 7 speed transmission makes a different but shifts are absolutely smooth and not noticeable.
Old 17th August 2011, 22:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I did not think a diesel makes sense at ~10,000 kms p.a.
You are bang on there Sir on your observation. Anything less than 10k kms in a year does NOT warrant a diesel and the associated premium with it. Though I am a little disappointed with 6-7kmpl you got on petrol but that must be in the harshest city driving conditions. I am seriously considering the Petrol Superb as my sedan option as my dealer friend here has offered me a very tempting 19L on road price for the petrol and I don't like the automatics anyway. I am a purist manual driver... lolz
Old 18th August 2011, 14:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Superb! That goes for the review as well as the car .
Very well written indeed.
Agree with Anand here, when you said "hiccups" i really expected some issues with DSG or the ASC's and other known issues. But what you've stated are more of a general issue's with Skodas.

The tyres are plain sucky. That goes for all Goodyear's. How about upgrading them? If not now, somewhere down the line.

6km/l id indeed good considering Bombay traffic. Consider yourself lucky man!
A few more good quality pics would indeed do good, to an otherwise lovely report.

Wish you many happy miles.

EDIT: @Dkalie:19l for a Superb? Man, what are you waiting for? Go get it! Thats as good as good can get .

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 18th August 2011 at 14:50.
Old 18th August 2011, 14:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow, you have a nice looking car there. Everytime I see a Laura or a Superb thread, I say "Next time I will get a Skoda". I only wish, they would get their act together and provide better A.S.S and lower costs of spares/oils etc. They make some really good looking cars inside out. I somehow get mesmerized everytime by the black and beige interiors of their cars.

After all those stories, it's nice to read that your car has served you well for 15 months. And, 6-7 kmpl is ok in Mumbai traffic I feel. Basically we are all car lovers, so tomorrow even if the car goes 2-3 kmpl, we will still continue to drive it !!
Old 18th August 2011, 15:09   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@Dkalie:19l for a Superb? Man, what are you waiting for? Go get it! Thats as good as good can get .
Ummm... the on-road price of the Superb 1.8 TSI MT in Pune is around 20 lac. Toss in a dealer-friend discount (which you can get as well ) and it should be pretty close to 19 lac. I was made this tempting offer when I was considering the Laura DSG CR, which is about 16.5 on road including discounts.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 19:30   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

BTW does it make a difference between 6 speed and 7 speed. Sometimes the 6th gear is welcome. But 7 speed is a bit too much to handle. Thank god it is a DSG.
Here is the reference to DSG boxes in VW website. Something to read on the technology
How it works > DSG > Technology > metacontent > Volkswagen Singapore
Old 18th August 2011, 22:27   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7
Wow, you have a nice looking car there. Everytime I see a Laura or a Superb thread, I say "Next time I will get a Skoda". I only wish, they would get their act together and provide better A.S.S and lower costs of spares/oils etc. They make some really good looking cars inside out. I somehow get mesmerized everytime by the black and beige interiors of their cars.

After all those stories, it's nice to read that your car has served you well for 15 months. And, 6-7 kmpl is ok in Mumbai traffic I feel. Basically we are all car lovers, so tomorrow even if the car goes 2-3 kmpl, we will still continue to drive it !!
Agree, I do hope they keep improving on service, in particular. Doubt you will get synthetic oils for less though. Also doubt I would drive much at 2-3 kmpl, it would be far better to walk (as average speeds would be certainly below walking speeds in that case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Here is the reference to DSG boxes in VW website. Something to read on the technology
How it works > DSG > Technology > metacontent > Volkswagen Singapore
Nice link vb-San, I read it now - better late than never.
Old 19th August 2011, 00:04   #27
BHPian

Congrats mate!!! The Superb truly makes you feel special!!!!Its really nice when people appreciate the Skoda brand!!! But from what we see, they are always at extremes. People are either highly satisfied or completely disappointed with their purchase. Recently I meant an octavia customer who was questioning the service personnel as to why his 8 year old octavia was suddenly forced to run only on synthetic oil while all this time it used the regular one. The personnel kept saying that by putting the normal one, his engine would conk!!! Then why didnt they do it from the beginning??? was there no danger to the engine between 2003 to 2009??? He just couldnt answer!!! neither could his manager!!!! Its time Skoda trained their personnel to at least be in a position to answer such questions!!! As for me... I ve done 17k kms on my Laura and its been a true delight!!!!
Old 19th August 2011, 09:37   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review Hayek!
This is truly a heartfelt and honest perception that you have shared after running the car for 15 months. Even I had waited for 10K kms for sharing my review on my Yeti because of the same reason.
The Superb is a great car and was also one of the contenders in my list. But in the end, as we are a small family (2+1) and also wanted to go for some offroading, we went in for the Yeti. Also, the Yeti's compact size is boon in crowded cities and the mileage on diesel is also excellent. The Superb on the other hand is an extremely luxurious and spacious Limo and makes you feel like a VIP when you sit in the back!
Wish you many years of trouble free driving and enjoyment with your car.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 19th August 2011, 13:08   #29
BHPian

Excellent review Hayek.
I am a proud owner of the first deisel superb in mumbai which is exactly 28 months old.She has been driven for 22,000KMs.
I get a fuel economy of 13.5 kmpl when I am travelling from Mum-Goa.
City mileage is 8kmpl.
And the worst bumper to bumper traffic from andheri east to west gives me 5kmpl.
I am extremely happy with the A.S.service.

I have spent only 22000 for servicing cost in these 28 months.
I believe this is the most VFM sedan in this category.
My front logo went missing few days back,but i replaced it with 150rs local logo which is at par with the original logo.

Apart from that ,JMD skoda has replaced the oem battery free of cost.

So overall I am very happy with the superb.
I am considering an upgrade to AT fortuner the moment its launched in India.
kedarwalke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 15:09   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

A very good review indeed. Every Skoda review deepens the dilemma inside me regarding Skoda. When I first read Harish's thread I vowed to never touch a Skoda. But on the other hand there cars are built well and almost all offerings are VFM cars in there respective segments. I am just not able to decide whether to gamble with a Skoda or not!
Sorry for being Off Topic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks