Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 22:39   #76
BHPian

Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
If one gets a W124 with condition ranging from average to somewhat good, he needs to be prepared to spend anything between 1.5 to 3 lakhs for a good refurbishment as upfront costs. Thereafter the maintenance will be approx 15K to 30K per annum depending on the surprises the car throws to large extent and one's luck ( incl. finding a right mechanic who does not exploit ) to certain extent. Of course one can still run the car with unsorted issues, but then whats the point ? I have budgeted around 60K p.a. for maintenance for my E250.

An elite gentleman once told me, even though a W124 may cost 5 lakhs, it still behaves as Rs. 50 Lakh car when it comes for operations and maintenance !

Regarding the driving style, W124 is meant for cruising and most probably to be driven in. It is not a car which can compete with BMW in that department. It has that kind of mature aura and that elegance very few can understand and appreciate - but still 140 kmph should not be a problem for E220 ! Its roots are in the country with autobahns.
I was exactly like that when I read your first para. That is crazy money. I was prepared for about 50 k upfront but not more. I need to do some serious thinking. But the price of 4.75 L now looks more palatable. Is the owner really very rigid on price? If you think there is some room to negotiate, I'd like to see this car.

I know for sure that it has a mature ride, I learnt to enjoy that ride when I got my Astra, it took some time but that car really matured me as a driver and taught me how to enjoy cruising, it may not be as responsive as the Corolla engine, but I am fine with that.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:58   #77
BHPian

Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

I am more of a W123 guy, but your W124 just blew me away. That, is a finely maintained Merc. You are lucky to get your hands on such a pristine beauty. Congrats friend. I am also a bit sad that, by the time I am able to afford buying and maintaining such a Merc, it would have gone into true classics territory and would be prohibitively expensive.

Last edited by karuvally : 11th May 2016 at 11:01. Reason: Revised the paragraph
Old 11th May 2016, 16:39   #78
BHPian

I am currently using a W212 and whenever I see a W124 pass by I sort of yearn for it. If you happen to come across some good cars do let me know. Usage would be very less about 500Kms a month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks