Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 09:27   #31
BHPian

re: Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing

Hi All,

Need your valuble help and advice. Iam alos a proud owner for Punto MJD and have with me for now one year. Most of year went without any problems. Recently got the Car serviced for second free servcie and seems to have started problem. Car run good but seems it is lil heavy in first and second gear. But the real problem is after the car is put on high speed and as soon as car is in fifth gear. Car seems to lose steam and does not pull at all. Feels something is stopping it to go ahead. Anyone with such kinda issue and any probable solutions ?

Your valubale advice is really appreciated

Regards,

Harish

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
Yes i am able to achive those figures @ or once i cross the 2000rpm mark, To me after 2000rpm the car feels as usual. All these problem crops before the 1800rpm Mark...

BTW, an Update is that the VST checked the engine, keeping in the Engine room, seem all the parameters were checked, They say the engine has No problem.

Regarding the Water leak in the Winshield, they have done packing from Interior(some paste kinda Stuff) after it dried i was there for testing and seems now the water leak is arrested, But said to them if this leak crops once again i want to get the Winshield removed and redone for which they agreed.

I am not sure about what they have done to the Wheel. I saw even the Plastic Cap is not put for the Link Road(for water not to stag and to rust) when asked the SA said they dont have stock of it right now!!!
tomorrow i am taking the delivery of car, They have kept the Car for 3 days for Just Checking, Winshield Packing and (wheel side i have no Updates from them). Will keep you people update.
Old 6th December 2011, 15:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
Hi All,

Need your valuble help and advice. Iam alos a proud owner for Punto MJD and have with me for now one year. Most of year went without any problems. Recently got the Car serviced for second free servcie and seems to have started problem. Car run good but seems it is lil heavy in first and second gear. But the real problem is after the car is put on high speed and as soon as car is in fifth gear. Car seems to lose steam and does not pull at all. Feels something is stopping it to go ahead. Anyone with such kinda issue and any probable solutions ?

Your valubale advice is really appreciated

Regards,

Harish
Few Questions..

1. What is it actually? Whatz your definition for Pull on High speeds? Does the Car Not able to cross 80 or 100 kmph??? or when it is in 80 or 100 does it loses its power( i am refering the accelaration there after) ?
- Why i am asking this question is @2000rpm on 5th gear you will be @ 80kmph(This is when actually the turbo kicks for the 5th gear). Given the fact you can even drive @ 50kmph on 5th gear

2. What about the Pickup @ or after 2000rpm? in any gear?

3. Are you driving with AC or Without AC

4. What about 5 people on board, with AC after 2000rpm on 5th gear??

Small Info...

If there is a Power Loss, at any gear after certain RPM you will feel the powerloss with or without A/C
Old 7th December 2011, 18:24   #33
BHPian

Its saddening when the car gives such trouble. Most of the car issues will be seen on 10k~15K km mark. It could be a manufacturing defect and hopefully the TASS will identify and fix the issues. Dont be panic some of my friend changed front & rear shock absorber, A/C evaporator coil, clutch assembly in a different company manufactured car in the same running period. After the car is running without any issues. Keep us updated.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 7th December 2011, 19:25   #34
BHPian

Hi,

I don't have your previous vehicle experience but I will go by the assumption that It is petrol. Please feel free to ignore me if that correct.

One of the thing which is typical of New diesel models is that they depend on Turbo and so is true with Punto. Turbo typically kicks in above 1800 to 2000 RPM. So if u are using the car below that chances are car will feel sluggish and labored. So if u are worried about ur engine see how it behaves above 2000 RPM and if there is a fall in performance then its indeed a cause of worry. But I guess you will knowing that already after 15K in car. So apologies if its a wrong analysis.

As for clatter during cold start, that is also a signature of mordern diesel. It takes time to reach the operating temperature and the engines smoothens. This however also depends on the ambient temperature and hence will be more pronounced in colder than hotter seasons.

Regards
Saurabh
Old 12th December 2011, 20:23   #35
BHPian

Re: Fiat Punto MJD - Pete's or Raching Chip?

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 14th December 2011 at 12:34.
magnanimousdude is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th May 2012, 20:55   #36
BHPian

hello Guys,

I am back again.. The car has run almost 23k kms, The heaviness issue still Persists. Suddenly feels heavy and have press the pedal hard and suddenly feels lighter than feather, light press of the pedal gives a big boost. I had an appointment with the VST people for Cleaning the 1. EGR valve 2. Checking Front Caliper Pin and 3. Releasing some Air from Clutch Slave Cylinder. This is what they say

1. EGR Valve Cleaning - According to the Service Mechanic Mr. Murali, He says there is NO need to clean the EGR valve! Coz valve will not be Wet to clog to manually clean and its controlled by the ECU. He reiterates that even though it had to be cleaned it will be dry powders inside the valve so some heavy pedal push would clean it.
He added 2 to 3 points regarding EGR valve,

1. EGR Valve no needs of cleaning in Punto
2. EGR valve will be closed after 2000 rmp or when the AC is switched on, But i proved him wrong that its not always, by asking him the question if More Co2 is combined in Air, No matter whether AC is switched on or on High revv the EGR valve will open (coz EGR valve is made for preventing emission) for which He accepted!!

The VST People have called FIAT's Help in this matter and i am waiting for the same.

Meanwhile they suspect the issue with the ECU sometimes malfunctioning by not providing the proper mixer of air fuel or supplying fuel properly. NO clues on how they are going to rectify.

They always fix the examiner and shows the reading, They dont understand the fact that the car shows heaviness for sometimes only and everytime they do the check it corrects itself. FIAT is not believing what people SAY. i told them BOSS i am living with this Car and i know better than you people how it behaves but they are reluctant to understand.

its only TASS who understands

Now Questions..

1. Is Cleaning the EGR valve will help?
2. How about things inside EGR, Powder kinda thing are wet thing?
3. Can i force them to clean the EGR valve??

Why i am asking this questions coz Mr. Murali is absolutely confident in saying that EGR valve cleaning may not be required (Showing me things from wiki and asking me to search internet ECU maintained EGR valve)

I am confused!!
Old 30th May 2012, 14:29   #37
BHPian

Re: Fiat Punto MJD - 23000 km- Suddenly feels Heavy

No one there to comment on My questions?? I expected Mods to atleast comment. Since i dont have much experience on automobile engineering i am expecting your responses otherwise i wouldn't have.. I believed on forums and people so much :(
Old 30th May 2012, 20:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Did some research for you (usual disclaimers apply, I am a software guy and not auto/mech person ):

First:
Select the following control unit at the diagnostic equipment: Marelli Diesel Injection 6F3 EOBD CAN (EP engine 1.3 JTD).

Check the value of the following parameters for correctness:
- Accelerator position 1 AD/C
- Accelerator position 2 AD/C

Secondly,
1. Turn the ignition key ON. With the engine off, all appliances off and the accelerator pedal not operated, the position of accelerator pedal 1 AD/C must be between 0.9 and 1.1 V. Under the same conditions, the position of accelerator pedal 2 AD/C must be between 0.4 and 0.6 V
2. Turn the ignition key OFF. Turn off all the electrical users. Disconnect the wiring harness connector from the accelerator pedal potentiometer. Turn the ignition key ON. Measure the voltage between Pin 2 (wiring side) of the potentiometer wiring side connector and Earth, checking it is within the range between 4.8 and 5.2 V.
3. If faults are present, repair or if necessary replace the electrical wiring between the engine control unit and the accelerator pedal potentiometer.
4. Still faulty? Replace the engine management control unit.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 17:50   #39
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Well, The TASS say that they have found the issue for heaviness issue.

Issue Seems to have resolved:
1. The Turbo Inter cooler, Inlet Hose was the problem according to them, it was bent and while suction it was creating a vacuum, because of which the air wasn't delivered to the engine sometimes. But when the car is idle the vacuum is release and shows no errors in the examiner. God Knows about it, But now the car feel comparatively good and its under testing phase.

Another things,
Guys Please suggest whether i can go for K & N Stock Replacement filter, i have one. if i put that the car feels a lot better and breaths easily, But i am worried about the dust particles getting inside the engine cylinders since i can see visible pores in the filters, the filtering doesn't seems to be good in K & N. I need to know the disadvantages of it...

Remember i am from dusty Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Did some research for you (usual disclaimers apply, I am a software guy and not auto/mech person ):

First:
Select the following control unit at the diagnostic equipment: Marelli Diesel Injection 6F3 EOBD CAN (EP engine 1.3 JTD).

Check the value of the following parameters for correctness:
- Accelerator position 1 AD/C - This is Perfect
- Accelerator position 2 AD/C - This has some error, actually the volts is +.3v More!!! that is .9v

Secondly,
1. Turn the ignition key ON. With the engine off, all appliances off and the accelerator pedal not operated, the position of accelerator pedal 1 AD/C must be between 0.9 and 1.1 V. Under the same conditions, the position of accelerator pedal 2 AD/C must be between 0.4 and 0.6 V
2. Turn the ignition key OFF. Turn off all the electrical users. Disconnect the wiring harness connector from the accelerator pedal potentiometer. Turn the ignition key ON. Measure the voltage between Pin 2 (wiring side) of the potentiometer wiring side connector and Earth, checking it is within the range between 4.8 and 5.2 V. - They didnt do this one!!!, a frustrative look from the SA :(
3. If faults are present, repair or if necessary replace the electrical wiring between the engine control unit and the accelerator pedal potentiometer. - They didnt do this one too, seems they need some time and they said they will have to open all wiring harness
4. Still faulty? Replace the engine management control unit.
Please see my response above in BOLD.

Guys,
I bought RaceChip from Germany, total cost 129euros(item cost) + 45euros(shipping) + Rs.4650(Import duty) [i thought the duty will be around 2~3k]

However, now i got the racechip, and its tuned in the engine, the settings that i kept is left rotor to be in "E" and right to be in "3", i tried with the factory settings, Not satisfied, tried with "D" "1" not satisfied. "E" "3" is better, I have heard "5" "6" and "6" "6" to be best and super.

The car behaves well than before, But that doesn't mean that Punto is Now a ROCKET, well for "e" "3" its better, i haven't tried with"5" "6" and "6" "6". If anyone already tried please let me know about it.

Will keep you posted with the Race Chip Performance...

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2012 at 15:58. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 12th July 2012, 10:33   #40
BHPian

Re: Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing

Mods / Tbhpians,
How do i change the thread title??? i was using report Post, but now it has been 3 attempts for changing the thread title using report post but still none of the mods Noticed it seems. Pls Help..

Mods: I used Quotes as suggested but still i get in different post.. Please see that if the dates are not the same the reply goes in new post! moreover i am not getting edit button after the stipulated time hence i posted this in New post

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 12th July 2012 at 10:38.
Old 14th July 2012, 13:55   #41
BHPian

@Mods,
Please chang the thread title to "Fiat Punto 1.3 MJD - RaceChip Tund"

Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 21:36   #42
gemi_kk

Oops... i missed the train.

I really feel sorry for all the troubles faced by you with your brand new car.
I understand that my reply is too late but i just wanna ....

How is your Punto now? how is she doing? What is the Odo meter reading?
Any other problems faced by you with this vehicle?

I hope you have all your problems resolved. Happy mile munching.

Old 7th October 2015, 14:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Guys,
I bought RaceChip from Germany, total cost 129euros(item cost) + 45euros(shipping) + Rs.4650(Import duty) [i thought the duty will be around 2~3k]

However, now i got the racechip, and its tuned in the engine, the settings that i kept is left rotor to be in "E" and right to be in "3", i tried with the factory settings, Not satisfied, tried with "D" "1" not satisfied. "E" "3" is better, I have heard "5" "6" and "6" "6" to be best and super.

The car behaves well than before, But that doesn't mean that Punto is Now a ROCKET, well for "e" "3" its better, i haven't tried with"5" "6" and "6" "6". If anyone already tried please let me know about it.

Will keep you posted with the Race Chip Performance...
Hi magnanimousdude
Sorry to revive such an old thread - but I am now in the planning process for a few mods on my GP Active. (2012 model, 50K kms up - warranty up so time to start tinkering!). My primary (and only) gripe with this beautiful car is the depressing 1-2 gears. Low end torque is what I am looking for. The high spedd performance of the car is par excellence.

I am in Europe at the moment, so picking up the RaceChip is easy (free shipping/no customs etc). Wanted to know if you continued using the RaceChip in your punto and long term review of the same.

I am contemplating between RaceDynamics, Pete and RaceChip

Would appreciate your inputs!
Old 1st February 2017, 19:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
Hi magnanimousdude
Sorry to revive such an old thread - but I am now in the planning process for a few mods on my GP Active. (2012 model, 50K kms up - warranty up so time to start tinkering!). My primary (and only) gripe with this beautiful car is the depressing 1-2 gears. Low end torque is what I am looking for. The high spedd performance of the car is par excellence.

I am in Europe at the moment, so picking up the RaceChip is easy (free shipping/no customs etc). Wanted to know if you continued using the RaceChip in your punto and long term review of the same.

I am contemplating between RaceDynamics, Pete and RaceChip

Would appreciate your inputs!
I am sorry for not seeing this post for very long time, RaceChip is one GEM of a chip, i am using this from 14K till now 70k. I had no problems with it what so ever. the push to seat effect that it gives on the 2 or 3rd gear is really awesome.

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 1st February 2017 at 19:44.
Old 1st February 2017, 19:57   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry for not seeing this post for very long time, RaceChip is one GEM of a chip, i am using this from 14K till now 70k. I had no problems with it what so ever. the push to seat effect that it gives on the 2 or 3rd gear is really awesome.
Hi!
I did end up going for it. Been using it for about 2 months now. It has definitely improved the high end torque. The low end torque (before the turbo kicks in ) is still pretty much the same. But the overall ride quality is better.

I put it in "E2" mode right away instead of "DB1"

That being said, I still am saving up for the Wolfmoto remap.

Thanks for your reply! Happy driving!

Most Viewed