Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 20:13   #1
BHPian

Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing

Hello Guys,

My BNW Punto MJD 1.3 ODO reads 10,000km and yes its my much awaited long term ownership, I would like to split my reviews with the following sections

1. Buying Experience
2. About the Car
3. Runin Period
4. Niggles so far
5. Service Experience
6. @ 10,000 Km
7. Fuel Effeciency

Buying Experience

I was pretty much fixed to go for a diesel car, after my 5 year tenure with trustworthy Maruti Zen. I filtered my search to the Most Obvious Maruti Swift VDI(With ABS) and Skoda Fabia 1.2 TDI and Fiat Punto MJD 1.3.

Swift:
I dont have to rewrite anything about this engine, performance, and FE figures. Swift is just a safety Option for anyone who is investing Money in Car. I had many test drives for this car and know pretty well about the FE figures, A.S.S and not going without mentioning the "niggles", But still Swift Rocks on Roads. I kept this car as my last option, cos in my street i can find about 10 swifts will all the colors , so i dont want mine to be the 11th one! Simple and straigh forward.

Swift Gets the rating: ****1/2

Skoda Fabia 1.2:
I dont know about this car and engine as it was a new arival to this segment. I just know Skoda created an engine with less capacity(1.2l), was curious about taking a Test drive, got the testdrive done in Gurudev motors(Chennai).mmmh, i kept on saying to myself something is missing!! being a fresh bee to Diesel, swift was swift for a diesel, but not sure what was missing with Fabia!, the Gear ratio was super, the plastics were super and elite ones. I consoled myself the missing thing was a power for the car and i felt a little performance issue with AC On.

Fabia Gets: *** 1/2

Fiat Punto 1.3:
Already my friend owns this Car but with petrol head. The moment i saw the Car, i just said to myself Awe! what a car, is it possible to buy this car? will i be able to pay the EMI? Can i make this Car mine? Remember, i have never test driven the Fiat Punto MJD!!! My heart and eyes were already filled with 50% Punto. Got a test drive arranged from VST motors Chennai, Sat Inside the car and switched on, pleasant sound of the engine. It was a long Clutch but was a song one, the moment i released the clutch the rush i felt(the test driven car ran almost 18K km), 1st gear is just to move the car, 2nd gear is a sibbling of 1st gear. from 3rd onwards i felt the unleased power in it! to me its enough. Heart is now 70% filled, the way the car pounded over the chennai Potholes and handling filled almost 100% of my heart. Now i was worried whether i can get this beauty. Enquired about it and found it to be 7.5L(For Emotion pk + ) where my budget is only 5.5L Noway i get those figures.

Punto Gets:*****

Went to ABT Maruti and booked Swift VDI with ABS giving 10K, the waiting period given to me is 2.5 months. Sat one whole full day with heavy heart after booking Swift, i tried to convience myself saying Swift is THE Best Car and better Car. To make the situation worse i saw 2 Punto's in my steet gliding... End of day i just felt one thing the whole day is wasted. after few days, I checked with my wife,mom and dad, if i can go for Punto? They said well its your wish son! Called ABT told them i am not interested to proceed further as the waiting period is very long(Only i know why i rejected it), got the 10K back as a cheque and went to book Punto.I
wanted to have a White Horse Punto! so booked BNW Punto, HDF helped me in funding my money in terms of Loan. End result HAPPY!!! Yay...

About the Car:

Well, What can i say about my White Horse?

1. Fiat Engine
2. Look and class, its Italian White Horse Beauty
3. Exceptional Handling
4. High Speed Stablity
5. NO need of Any Modifications in Emotion Pack, stock provided ones will suffice
6. Auto Ac a Boon. people who are using it, knows about it.
7. Airbags and ABS, a Must one. since i dont want to compromise of security
8. Nova White
9. Steering wheel (when speed increases steering gets better and better)
10. Loaded with countless features which are not available on other Hatchbacks
11. BUILD, what can i comment on it, its a Tank!
12. The advantage of writting many points over and over...

Runin Period:

I am a strong believer in Runin Period, so i never floored her more than 2000rmp, Though there were many debates going in and out about the Runin Period. moreover diesel engines needs Run in unlike the petrol heads. During the Runin Period i went for couple of long long travels and felt very pleasant and indeed comfortable. I got a Fuel Eff of 13~14.5kmpl. detailed FE report can be found below.

Niggles so far:

Like all the cars i also had some niggles with mine, so far

1. Whobbling -> Rectified after doing the Wheel Alignment in LAL's (paid rs.950 for it )
2. Hissing Noise from F.Tank valve -> This was said to reduce after 10K from one of our Fellow BHPians, now a days i hardly hear it!
3. HeadLights -> This had been concern until i changed the headlights to Phillips PowerExtrem, Now Happy
4. Engine Grunt -> This is briefly discussed under service Experience
5. Driver Seating -> Still i have some issues with the correct seating, the Height adjustable never stays on the same mark for longer time? Did anyone noticed it?? set it to a position, after 1 month you can find, it had gone down a little. had to adjust then and there. Now i have done some trick with the Seat covers to Increase the thigh area. Somewhat comfortable with that now.
6. Some less decibel rattles here and there, not a head scraching one!

Service Experience:

The Service Station, "VST Service Station Chennai". Whenever i take the car to them there had never been a NO or Not possible or Not now from them. I had couple of issues with the car and both of them were done to its perfection

Engine Grunt: I was complaining about this to the VST people, they had different test drives, once they changed Clutch Slave Cylinder(They changed to Plastic) in my early 3400 Kms, they said its part of the upgradation that they do on all Puntos, after which the grunt and clutch was little better, recently around 9000kms i got the same issues with the Clutch being very tight and at times being very light and smooth! again those people did it with ease, this time they changed the CSC from
Plastic to Steel, Its now smooth. They talk to you pleasingly and does things in Time.

In a Nutshell to tell about VST in A.S.S: VST does the Job Perfectly. Slogan is "Call, Book the dates, get your car services for no more Hassle"

1st Service Cost me "0"
2nd service will be done in 2 months time, or 15K kms whichever is earlier....

@ 10,000 Km:

I now feel what a blunder would have been had i gone with Swift(No offence to swift Owners), cos I am that comfortable with my Punto MJD. The engine has opened up to an extent(Hope to get it opened fully after 15K kms), The Car Pulls like a beast, AC is still Chiller, FE has been stable between 14~15kmpl, Hope it will increase .5kmpl after 15k Mark.
Now with my Ownership report, Take it for granted, Punto(Engine, Build, ...etc) always deserves 5 Start Rating

Punto: *****

Pros:

1. Owning Fiat Punto! Great Engine
2. Driving a Tank like feel, in safety features, Balance, and comfortables
3. Features like never before in anyother hatchback cars
4. Have to gives this, FIAT Service!
5. Punto Body, (recently one Bike crashed my Punto from back into the rear bumper. Guess what? nothing happened, i am not sure if the bumper is made with Rubber??)
6. Interior Plastics(Though i list this in Pros, i dont feel it to be worst one, its far better than some cars. Guys who agrees with me, pls read this in Pros others read it in Cons)

Cons:

1. Minor Rattles
2. Seat Adjustments(it is something for me to put it in Cons, for most of them its in Pros)
3. Low Road Clearence(Hasn't bothered me much as i have never come across such big Speed breakers)
4. USB, Doesn't play everything, here and there needs to delete many songs to for me to get it played(it bothers me a lot, cos its a daily useable feature)
5. Hopeless 2nd gear.Till Now i am not sure when to use the second gear!!! either 3rd gear does the job nor 1st itself does it. Only place i use the 2nd gear is on Speed Breakers...

Fuel Effeciency:

The Below Excel Best describes my FE more than my words, though its not the latest one.

Pictures:

Guys please excuse me for the Mobile picture quality, i promise to post some nice pictures of my White Italian Horse.

PS: If i have Missed any particular Topics please let me know. Hope i have given my Unbiased Report.

My Granny trying to drive my Beast... LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-fe.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-05112010100.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-16082011284.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-16082011285.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-16082011290.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-16082011291.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-17112010107.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-17112010109.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-17112010110.jpg  

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 16th August 2011 at 20:16.
magnanimousdude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 23:47   #2
BHPian

Re: obsessed with my White Italian Horse - 10,000km Report

Hi,

To relate more to what you said, I have put my comments in bold.

Your Report was comprehensively made, and was a very good read.
Please keep the updates coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
I kept this car as my last option, cos in my street i can find about 10 swifts will all the colors , so i dont want mine to be the 11th one! Simple and straight forward.

Loved this line!

I dont know about this car and engine as it was a new arival to this segment. I just know Skoda created an engine with less capacity(1.2l), was curious about taking a Test drive, got the testdrive done in Gurudev motors(Chennai).mmmh, i kept on saying to myself something is missing!!

Fabia has it's own set of strengths and weaknesses. The original Fabia came loaded to the gills, and this one does disappoint, especially with the performance. But all in all, it's a good vehicle.

Fiat Punto 1.3:
Called ABT told them i am not interested to proceed further as the waiting period is very long(Only i know why i rejected it), got the 10K back as a cheque and went to book Punto.I
wanted to have a White Horse Punto! so booked BNW Punto, HDF helped me in funding my money in terms of Loan. End result HAPPY!!! Yay...

This was a good move, considering that your heart went for Punto. It is indeed a very satisfying experience to drive one.
Niggles so far:

2. Seat Adjustments(it is something for me to put it in Cons, for most of them its in Pros):

Simplicity is good, but I suggest you try out different settings to find the most comfortable one. It would be immensely helpful in being comfortable over long drives.

3. Low Road Clearence(Hasn't bothered me much as i have never come across such big Speed breakers)

After having driven the Fiat Linea, that is where the problem of low GC is more prominent, I guess because of the slightly longer wheel base. Punto should not give that much trouble.

4. USB, Doesn't play everything, here and there needs to delete many songs to for me to get it played(it bothers me a lot, cos its a daily useable feature)

That must be frustrating. But apart from this, how would you rate the Blue & Me experience?

My Granny trying to drive my Beast... LOL

This was a very sweet picture, and the choice of putting it up here says a lot about how much you care. Cheers!
Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 16th August 2011 at 23:48.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

For Granny.

Quote:
5. Driver Seating -> Still i have some issues with the correct seating, the Height adjustable never stays on the same mark for longer time? Did anyone noticed it?? set it to a position, after 1 month you can find, it had gone down a little. had to adjust then and there. Now i have done some trick with the Seat covers to Increase the thigh area. Somewhat comfortable with that now.
IIRC there was a issue with seat height adjustment in Linea which was fixed by changing the whole height adjustment mechanism. Did you check it with Fiat? If not I would advise you to do that.

Last edited by HammerHead : 17th August 2011 at 12:05.
Old 17th August 2011, 12:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Happy to Hear that you have been enjoying the car for the fullest from day one.
Yes, VST Service is good enough to compete with other Car Maker's Service Centres.
I am dare fan of FIAT and VST now.
Enjoy and Drive Safe
Old 17th August 2011, 13:11   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the buy !! Wish you have a hassle free ride in it.
We got 2 FIATS in our family now, a LINEA MJD Emotion Pk and my cousin bro's PUNTO Emotion.

We don't have anything serious to complain till now and we are enjoying the rides to the most.

The first pic is hilarious , make her drive the car and she will feel some 30 years younger for sure .
Old 17th August 2011, 15:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Hi,

That must be frustrating. But apart from this, how would you rate the Blue & Me experience?

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
yes apart from that BLUE and ME is a Boon for any car. My rating would be **** (4 Star).

There has to be som compromises here and there, either the engine will bad nor the interiors

some examples, Bad composition or Bad engineering (no offence to car owners)

1. Punto - initial Lag and Interiors (To me interiors are better, so Interiors are subjective)
2. i20 - Steering column issue (This issue as i read in our forum, its persisting )
3. Swift - Rattling, many niggles and to some again Interiors are not that good
4. Fabia - Engine, features and Safety compromises, unless you go for the high end
5. Polo - Engine, features and Safety compromises, unless you go for the high end
6. Verna - Powerful engine but braking dosent seems to be good. Safety issues
7. Ritz - Though same engine as swift, the design is Subjective.
8. Figo - Bumper to Radiator clearence is very little, radiator or other parts can get damage in a small clash, Lack of power windows and there is some turbo lag felt(from our fellow BHPians)
9. Jazz - Huge Pricing(No more comments)

so we will have to get compromise with something, we can't install a V6 Engine in a cycle and run becasue the engine is super!!!
Old 30th August 2011, 15:05   #7
BHPian

Re: Obsessed with my White Italian Horse - Fiat Punto MJD - 10,000km Report - Update

Well took the car to my native after 10k kms and i feel the car behaved like breeze. Absoultely there was NO Engine/Cabin Noise when i drive between 90~100~110 kmph i felt as if i am driving a magnetic train. Thereafter from 110~130kmph i can notice the engine Noise prominently, above 130kmph i feel like i am pushing the car too much, which means the car is reluctant to move, above 140~160kmph i feel that i am NOT pushing the car, which means the car behaves better than the range of 120~140. Not sure how this happens or rather my observation went wrong.

Yesterday, One Biker scraped his bike to my left rear door resulting a small Impression(attached picture), Not even bothered to say a Sorry he flew away. Today morning after i parked my car in office, noticed something in the rear bumper (courtesy: Bikers, sure it can't be becasue of Car)

Now the Question is Can the Bumper bend(Right side arrow) be rectified? i suspect the first arrow is a misalignment of Bumper, can that be aligned too?

I literally feel like having a Needle in my eyes after seeing these. Already there are some Scraps in the front Bumper again Courtesy Bikers. :(
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-30082011353.jpg  

Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing-30082011357.jpg  

Old 30th August 2011, 15:31   #8
BHPian

re: Fiat Punto MJD - 24000 km- Heaviness Issue-Resolved, Car Under Testing

Your granny is super-sweet Awesome picture.

Much as you love your car, don't bother with minor dents. Those are traffic casualties and fixing a lot of small dents can get expensive fast. The scratch on the door may buff out, and if the bumper can be re-aligned (mostly this is not a problem, a five-minute chore) it will help close that gap. I can't see any blemish on the paint in the last two pics. I wouldn't worry.

In spite of not having touched my car to any other physical object so far (quite the miracle, actually), I have cat paw marks and a small dent on the top of the bonnet, and a few marks from pebbles flying during a raging storm in Gurgaon a few months ago. Nothing you can notice so easily, but they're there for sure.
cranky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2011, 15:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Your granny is super-sweet Awesome picture.

I have cat paw marks and a small dent on the top of the bonnet, and a few marks from pebbles flying during a raging storm in Gurgaon a few months ago. Nothing you can notice so easily, but they're there for sure.
well i dont care the car paw marks as they are unavoidable, I too have some luckly not on the bonnet but on top of the car :P,

Regarding the Misalignment i reckon TASS can fix it in no time, but not sure if the bend on the Bumper(right arrow, Above the rear right wheel) can be fixed. i tried pushing it giving some pressure but it didnt help me in correcting the bend.
Old 30th August 2011, 16:40   #10
BHPian

Im not 100% sure how Fiat works here just yet (will get a better idea on Thursday when mine goes for 1st service) but when my Opel used to get dented they had a heat mould to re-orient depressed and bent fiber parts. Painting charges were quite steep and sort of unavoidable.
Old 31st August 2011, 12:58   #11
BHPian

Calling all Fiat Linea or Punto MJD and diesel heads of TBhpians for Help

I am facing a strange Engine Note When i do these

1. After long stop(in Morning when u take the car or after office hours), engage the reverse Gear move the car to a distance then engage first gear and move around 1500rpm(in any gear) my engine sound changes, its very different and not smooth. Its certainly evident @1500rpm go beyond you cannot identify as the rpm increases.

Immediately stop the car, Switch off the engine, start it again and move i feel butter smooth sound and the engine note is Normal

(or)

After the reverse gear movement, Engage neutral keep the car in idle for 2 mins or so and then move, i feel butter smooth Sound.

In any of the scenario there is NO power loss, its absolutely fine. My only worry is Engine Sound. I am not sure why is this is happeneing

Wont the engine gives only one Sound all in all? if its a stiff grunt or smooth Grunt(after some around 10kms) ??i reckon it should give only one.

My car behaves or gives 2 different notes dont know why? just worried if this could be some engine issue.

Someone who has noticed this nor knows this type if issue, please let me know why is this happening

Mods if you have noticed this pls let me know what steps should i take. I am worried.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:18   #12
BHPian

The engine note highly depends upon the environment conditions. On a really cold day in Ooty, my car used to produce huge clatter, and on a really hot day in Chennai, it just hums when I start it on the day. So, you need not worry about the engine note, unless it is really distinct and there is a drop in performance.

A piece of advice - Clean the air filter periodically, the 15k service interval is just too long to keep the air filter un-cleaned.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 15:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
The engine note highly depends upon the environment conditions. On a really cold day in Ooty, my car used to produce huge clatter, and on a really hot day in Chennai, it just hums when I start it on the day. So, you need not worry about the engine note, unless it is really distinct and there is a drop in performance.

A piece of advice - Clean the air filter periodically, the 15k service interval is just too long to keep the air filter un-cleaned.
well i understand what u say, but still how can the engine note change when the car goes in reverse gear and then move forward?
Why i was telling this cos daily i have to engage the reverse gear for taking my car out of my car park, so eventually this happens daily, somedays its butter smooth, somedays i get prominant sound @1500rpm.
I read somewhere in this forum for a linea and punto are been called for the timing chain issue! could that be this issue??

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 31st August 2011 at 15:47.
Old 31st August 2011, 19:05   #14
BHPian

There is a slight difference in the sound of the car when reversing, most of that is due to the fact that you stick your head out of the window when reversing and so hear things a little differently (the human ear is sensitive to location at short distances).

The differential also sounds a bit different, but fundamentally the engine sound is dependent only on the rpm and nothing else. Its contribution to the overall sound of the car is large, but obviously not the only thing.

I wouldn't worry. There is no issue.
Old 5th November 2011, 19:17   #15
BHPian

Guys,

I need your help in Identifying this issue, Pls pls pls pls do not ignore this post anything you know about this issue kindly hrow some light..

here is the Issue:

@1100km I felt something tak tak sound on my clutch when they are depressed - Went to the VST - They changed the Clutch save cylinder

@ 4000km i felt that sometimes its very hard to drive, i will feel like i am driving a lorry, my engine gets that heavy as if i am carring another 1000KG inside - Went to VST - They changed the Clutch slave cylinder to Plastic is suppose(as a new Upgrade)

@ 9500km I Took My car to VST for the same above said issue, Told hem my car is behaving differently, for about 300 - 400km its as light as a Petrol Car, I could hardly feel the engine and its weight and the car use to Move like a rocket, The moment i release the clutch. But after 400 or 500kms To another 500km I feel like i am driving a lorry, everything feels so hard. - Went to VST - Bloody again they changed the Clutch Slave Cylinder ( as a New Upgrade, This time to Metal one)

Now i am at 13000km, Again I feel the same!!!! i feel like driving a Lorry or Everything seems to be Heavy(When i am driving alone itself), I feel The Heavy Engine, The engine grunt changes, Engine, Clutch, Accelarator feels Hard, I will have to Press the Pedal as if i am pressing for a lorry. Suddenly it will be very light and rocket.

I am completely Pissed off, I am about to give my Car Comming Monday to VST Motors for 2nd Service. After the service i don want this issue again.

WHAT COULD BE THE ISSUE, I'M NOT ALBLE TO FIGURE IT OUT. KINDLY HELP

Regards,
Magananimousdude

Last edited by magnanimousdude : 5th November 2011 at 19:19.

Most Viewed