Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 18:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichoudhury View Post
Continuing with the topic of black do have have problems driving at night with the sun films? And by the way have you got a few scratches on the rear end?
Sun films used to cause little problem when taking turns at night, but I'm used to it now. Those are not scratches, its just reflection and some dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
congrats on the i20. Lovely pictures and a nice write up. Which place is this?
Its between Mangalore and Madikeri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Please do put some pictures of the interiors which i among the best in this segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Please post more pictures of the interiors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Enjoy the beauty and keep us updated. And oh yes, do post the interior pics ASAP.
Here are some interior pics.
Attached Thumbnails
My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0624.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0628.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0629.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0620.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0622.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0610.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0614.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0617.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0618.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-gear.png  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0647.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0631.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0632.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0641.jpg  

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_0643.jpg  

guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 20:02   #17
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures, it would have been good if the rear seat covers are completely done at the back instead of exposing and ugly tied with bands.

HC
Old 30th August 2011, 14:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Here are some interior pics.
Thanks @guyfrmblr. i20 has one of the best looking cabin. When i went to Hyundai to test drive Verna i was amazed at the quality and neatness of the cabin and its layout, it puts some of the upper segment cars to shame. Lovely pictures.
Old 30th August 2011, 15:01   #19
BHPian

Great pictures. The interiors looks fabulous and the boot is massive by hatch standards. Hope you have many enjoyable and trouble free miles in this car.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:42   #20
BHPian

Hows the A/c Working ? Any issues with steering rattle?
Old 27th September 2011, 16:45   #21
BHPian

Congrats guyfrmblr.. welcome to Team-bhp and Hyundai i20 team and do share your learnings.. Drive safe..
Old 27th September 2011, 21:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Hows the A/c Working ? Any issues with steering rattle?
I did not get a chance till date to test the real effectiveness of AC as the temperature in Bangalore is moderate from last 3-4 months. I've to test in in summer. Otherwise, it keeps the cabin sufficiently cool.

I have driven around 7000 kms and have not faced any steering rattling issues until now. One of my colleague too bought an i20 around 3 months back and is not facing any steering rattling. I think finally they have resolved this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
Congrats guyfrmblr.. welcome to Team-bhp and Hyundai i20 team and do share your learnings.. Drive safe..
Thanks classicselva!
Old 4th November 2011, 10:57   #23
BHPian

Guys would like to know if i20 sportz has voice recognition?Also would like to new if the newer 5 speed sportz has gear shift indicator?I just picked up mine and it isnt there.
Old 5th November 2011, 10:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Guys would like to know if i20 sportz has voice recognition?Also would like to new if the newer 5 speed sportz has gear shift indicator?I just picked up mine and it isnt there.
None of the variants of i20 has got voice recognition feature. You'd have probably seen that feature in the owner's manual but its not present in Indian version of i20.

Gear shift indicator must be present. You wouldn't have seen it as you may be shifting gears in the correct rpm band. Try up-shifting early or over rev a bit and you can see the indicator in the odometer console. If your's is a CRDi, then try up-shifting from 3rd to 4th gear when the rpm is 1200-1400, then you should be able to see the indicator for down-shifting.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 5th November 2011 at 10:08.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 10:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Gear shift indicator must be present. You wouldn't have seen it as you may be shifting gears in the correct rpm band
No. I don't think the shift indicator is there in the 5 gear version available now. They removed that feature when they shifted from 6 gear to the 5 gear version.
Old 7th November 2011, 00:25   #26
BHPian

Hi Kimified!
I have serious plans on changing my current car, the WagonR, to either a Volkswagen Polo or the Hyundai i20 (preferably diesel, in both cases)

If you could brief me, being truthful about all the minor problems that you face in your car, or the plus points, I could probably have better reasons to opt for the i20 than the polo.
Old 10th November 2011, 18:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContiMental View Post
Hi Kimified!
I have serious plans on changing my current car, the WagonR, to either a Volkswagen Polo or the Hyundai i20 (preferably diesel, in both cases)

If you could brief me, being truthful about all the minor problems that you face in your car, or the plus points, I could probably have better reasons to opt for the i20 than the polo.
Hey. Sorry for the late reply. I did not check this thread after i made my last comment. Here is my ownership thread. Haven't updated it for sometime now

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...esel-asta.html

For me, The i20's engine sealed the deal. There are many issues reported here. The steering rattle is one major issue. I drive on pretty good roads, so i haven't noticed any obtrusive sound from the steering column as yet. My car has done 16k km's and its been close to an year now. But, it would look foolish on my part to deny it exists at all since there are so many people reporting the same issue here.

The AC and Handling, Frankly, I find them both very very acceptable. I used to drive a swift before the i20, never really felt that there is a light year gap between the two. Yes, swift has a better steering and handles better. But, i20 is not too off either. In the city, i20 is more easier to drive with the lighter steering.

Polo on the other hand is also a very good car. If only it had come with a better engine! Heard there is a 1.5tdi update coming soon. Guess you can wait for it too. For me, I can never accept that 1.2 ltr polo engine for that price (Its just a personal opinion though).

I would look at the Punto/ Figo or the new swift over the polo anyday(although i am guessing that you have opted out of the Swift for the wait period).

Last edited by Kimified : 10th November 2011 at 18:39.
Old 10th November 2011, 22:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Hey. Sorry for the late reply. I did not check this thread after i made my last comment. Here is my ownership thread. Haven't updated it for sometime now

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...esel-asta.html

For me, The i20's engine sealed the deal. There are many issues reported here. The steering rattle is one major issue. I drive on pretty good roads, so i haven't noticed any obtrusive sound from the steering column as yet. My car has done 16k km's and its been close to an year now. But, it would look foolish on my part to deny it exists at all since there are so many people reporting the same issue here.

The AC and Handling, Frankly, I find them both very very acceptable. I used to drive a swift before the i20, never really felt that there is a light year gap between the two. Yes, swift has a better steering and handles better. But, i20 is not too off either. In the city, i20 is more easier to drive with the lighter steering.

Polo on the other hand is also a very good car. If only it had come with a better engine! Heard there is a 1.5tdi update coming soon. Guess you can wait for it too. For me, I can never accept that 1.2 ltr polo engine for that price (Its just a personal opinion though).

I would look at the Punto/ Figo or the new swift over the polo anyday(although i am guessing that you have opted out of the Swift for the wait period).
Well, frankly speaking, after owning a Maruti for nearly 5 years, i have NO plans to get back to the same brand again. The built quality is pathetic and i just cannot stand rattling noises from every corner, giving me drum beats at every bump.
I did not like the Figo, being really frank, have not specific reasons for that though. Fiat, as heard by a friend, is not a user-friendly brand, has difficulty in parts and servicing. (Dont reallly know if its true. Just heard from my friend)
I have my mind on the Toyota Liva. even though its not 'exclusively amazing' in its segment. Havent really come to a decision as yet. Still cannot stable my mind as to what to opt for!

Thanks anyway for being frank about your opinions, be it good or bad, about your own car. Very few people do so.
Old 21st December 2011, 23:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

My i20 crossed the 5 digit mark last month. It has been a wonderful experience so far. I have enjoyed each and every mile clocked in it.

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-02122011070434.jpg

The present odo reading is almost 12000. There is not even a single rattle from any part of the car. The dreadful steering rattle has not surfaced till now. Hope it does not makes an appearance in future.

The 1.4 CRDi engine is super refined. Most of them still finds it hard to beleive that its a diesel engine. Very minor vibrations can be felt at speeds below 20 kmph but once it crosses this mark, its very silent. Hyundai has done a commendable job in keeping the NVH levels low.

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_1319.jpg

Have done around 3-4 long journeys and the steering does feels nervous at greater speeds. But one will get used to it after 1 or 2 long trips. The presence of the 6th gear is a blessing on highways. It can be engaged at speeds of around 75 kmph and keeps the rpm levels low at higher speeds which boots the FE. Only once I have touched 145 kmph on an empty stretch in NICE road and but now I never cross 80 kmph as any speeds greater than it is suicidal in India.

I could not test the real effectiveness of the AC as the weather in Bangalore is always pleasant. But it does takes some time during very hot noons to cool the cabin. The real pain starts when AC is switched on with 5 adults in the car. The pulling power of the car goes for a toss. Sometimes it just refuses to climb at uphills. Other i20 CRDi owners need to comment on this.

The dash looks as new as it looked when it came out of the showroom. All the buttons and knobs still feel very fresh. They are rock solid and none of prints on the them have faded. You can compare this photo with the photo I had posted earlier in this thread which was taken just after purchasing the car.

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_1304.jpg

My co-passengers have never complained of any space issue at the rear seat (with 3 adults). The only complaint from them is that the rear windows are positioned little higher which reduces the outside visibility. The ingress and egress is a bit difficult for old folks at the rear as I have seen my grandparents struggle a bit to get in and out of the car.

I have stopped worrying about the amount of luggages as the 295 litres boot easily accomodates the huge baggages of long trips and consumes all the bags of weekend shopping.

Fuel Efficiency:
My daily travel to office is 40 km one-way which includes 3 km of pathetic road filled with craters, 6 km of good road with 7 speed breakers and moderate traffic, 5 km of 6-lane highway, 11 km of narrow road which is in excellent condition with lots of bends and very light traffic, 11 km of state highway with occasional speed breakers and light traffic, 4 km of bumper to buper traffic. Occasional weekend drives with heavy traffic. I am constantly getting 21 kmpl with these driving conditions right from the time of purchasing the car. If I skip the weekend city drives, then its around 22-23 kmpl. The FE figures are calculated using tank full method and I am extremely satisfied with these figures. It never increased or decreased after the services. I'm able to acheive these FE figures by following smooth driving practices on the road. This driving style always keeps me and other road users to stay calm and peaceful on the road.

Other points observed:
1. The responsiveness of the engine is not as great as Swift diesel.
2. Need to shift to 1st gear to negotiate most of the speed breakers. But things have improved a bit after the second service where I am able to negotiate some of the speed breakers which I encounter daily in 2nd gear.
3. Full marks for the brakes (no ABS). Had to perform panic braking 2-3 times and the car stopped immediately without any deviation.
4. The car feels little bouncy at lower speeds in bad stretches.
5. A loud thud is heard near the front left tyre whenever I negotiate slightly bigger potholes at little higher speeds. Checked with SA and got the reply that its common in i20. But one gets irritated by hearing that sound and feels as though some part has got detached from the car.
6. Maintaing a black car is the most difficult task. Even a small peck of dust gets highlighted. Thanks to the Jopasu car duster which has made my life easy. A slight dusting at end of the day is enough to keep the car dust free.
7. Mud flaps are useless. The dirt on the road gets sprayed all over the doors.
8. Floor mats are pathetic. A big hole has appeared on the driver floor mat. Need to change the entire set. The floor mats of our OMNI lasted for 9 years!
9. I was not able to adjust one of the driver side AC vent near the music system. It was promptly replaced during the 2nd service even though I had forgotten to mention about it to SA.

Missing features:
1. ABS: They could have provided ABS in the Sportz variant instead of ACC. Even though ACC is a very convinient option, they shouldn't have compromised on safety aspects. The BS 3 version of Magna variant too was coming with ABS.
2. Fog Lamps: There is not even an option to fit them. Entire bumper needs to be changed.
3. Illumination around USB and i-pod slots. Its like a treasure hunt searching for these slots in the dark. A front map lamp would have solved the issue.
4. Number pad for dialing through bluetooth.

Upgrades planned:
1. Spoiler: OEM spoiler costs around 5K plus painting charges which I feel is very expensive. Need to check aftermarket spoilers which can be got at a decent price.
2. Front Arm rest
3. I was very much interested in Pete's tuning box but its not available for the 6-speed version.

Services:
The first service was free. I don't think they have done anything other than cleaning the car.

The total cost of second service was Rs 2506 which included the following:
1. Mag Wheel Weights
2. Wind Screen Washer
3. Tyreseal
4. Filter Cartridge
5. Filter - Air Cleaner
6. Oil Filter
7. Wheel Balancing and Alignment

The service centre staff are very courteous, soft-spoken and they listen to the customres with patience. They readily agree for any date I ask them for the service appointment. The only irritating thing is that with every service, I get some free scratches on alloys.

I haven't spent on anything other than the fuel and second service bills. Infact a stone had hit my car's underbody and the fuel tank and engine oil sump were replaced but the repair costs were covered by the insurance. I had detailed about this incident in a seperate thread in Street Experiences section.

I am completely satisfied with this diesel rocket and my thirst for clocking more miles in it has increased.

Request to Mods: Can you please edit the title of the thread to 12000 km update. Thanks.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 21st December 2011 at 23:26.
Old 12th January 2012, 21:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Clocked 13500 on the odo today.

Horn Upgrade:

The density of trucks on my daily commute route is very high. The stock horn was very meek and the sound output was just not enough to grab the attention of truckers. Got Bosch Symphony horns installed this evening. The sound is not very high but is enough to catch the bus and truckers attention. Costed Rs 550. Was planning for Stebel Nautilus but it was too shrill and would have significantly contributed to noise pollution.

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-100_1382.jpg

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 12th January 2012 at 21:56.

Most Viewed