Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 00:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Good choice guyfrmblr, your car in black looks stunning. I always thought why people buy so many i20s. Now looking at the interior pics and knowing that it is giving you an average of 21kmpl, if feels to be a wise decision investing money initially which anyhow one will get back as the resale value will be good. But for now enjoy your ride. Happy driving.
Ym-enjn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 11:15   #32
Senior - BHPian

Clocked 15K on the odo.

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-02022012202711.jpg

Fuel Efficiency (Calculated using tank full method):
Inside City: 18-19 kmpl
Outskirts (which comprises major part of my driving): 21 kmpl
Highway: 22-23 kmpl

Issues faced: The Audio Head Unit partially crashed twice. Only the volume button was working when it crashed. Had to restart completely to make it work again.

The dreaded steering wheel rattling hasn't made its appearance. Hope it doesn't appear in future too.
guyfrmblr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 22:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Just got back the car from the 3rd service. The current odo reading is 20160 km. No major issues faced and no steering rattling issue until now. There was a small rattling sound from the front passenger seat since 2 weeks which was promptly rectified during today's service. A faint squeaking noise was heard when applying brakes from past 3 weeks which has stopped after changing the brake pads today. Hasn't notified any changes in the fuel efficiency right from the beginning which is 18 kmpl inside city and 21 kmpl in outskirts.

The 3rd service bill ran upto Rs. 5152 which included the following:
1. Engine Oil
2. Pad Kit - Front Disc brake
3. Filter Cartridge
4. Filter - Air Cleaner
5. Oil Filter
6. Diesel Filter
7. Wheel Balancing and Alignment
8. Tyre Seal (There was a puncture in the front left tyre)
9. Consumables

Got the service done from Advaith Hyundai, Bannerghatta road. No complaints on them. They are very professional and prompt in their work. One of the Cap-Assembly wheel hub went missing sometime back and I asked for a replacement. They quoted around Rs 500 for it. Well, I can live without it.

I'm very happy with the overall performance of the car and looking forward to crunch more miles with it. The car still feels as new as when it was just bought out of the showroom. The NVH levels are very low. Very much satisfied with the FE figures. I love driving this car.

Some pics which were captured during the recent visit to Kudremukh:

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-imag0318.jpg

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_4384.jpg

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-imag0211.jpg

My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!-imag0226.jpg

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 26th March 2012 at 22:50.
Old 27th March 2012, 11:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Vinay, its not even close to a year and you have already clocked 20k kms on your i20, thats good doing bro.
I always had a feeling the hyundai A.S.S is abit on the higher side, but 5k for 20k service sounds perfectly fine .
I know how you get those +20kmpl on your trips, LOL.

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I know how you get those +20kmpl on your trips, LOL.

Cheers
Good Going Vinay

I am not able to make it more than 15.5 KMPL in the city.
And can the secret behing 20+ on highway be shared?
Old 2nd April 2012, 16:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva

Good Going Vinay

I am not able to make it more than 15.5 KMPL in the city.
And can the secret behing 20+ on highway be shared?
There are no secrets behind it .

I usually cruise at around 120-130 kmph with 6 th gear engaged at which the rpm needle will be hovering around 1900 rpm. I'll also try to predict the traffic patterns so as to avoid constant braking. This easily gives me 20+ on the highways.
Old 5th July 2012, 23:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

It was the first birthday of my car on 29th June. The current odo reading is 25,100 km. The car feels as fresh as when I bought it a year ago. No issues faced until now.

Some of the points which I have observed in the past 1 year of ownership:

Positives:
1. Absolutely no rattles or squeaks from any part of the car.
2. Constant fuel efficiency which I have reported earlier in this thread.
3. The interiors show no sign of aging.
4. Effortless cruising on highways.
5. Excellent engine refinement.
6. Excellent brakes (no ABS)

Negatives:
1. Suspension setup (THUD noise when negotiating potholes or speed breakers).
2. Engine is not as responsive as DDiS.
3. The AC takes more time to cool the cabin (especially after the removal of tints).
4. The wheel hub caps on the alloys which keeps falling and Hyundai's ridiculous price of Rs.500 for a pair of those plastic hub caps.

Planning to install a touch screen HU and rear parking sensors with camera. I am looking out for a HU with Mirror-link functionality. The Mirror-link enables the driver to connect the smartphone with the HU using USB and then control the smartphone from the HU. The smartphone screen gets replicated on the HU and the entire functionality of the smartphone can be controlled from the HU. I found out that only two high-end models of Sony support it. I also want to use my HU as a continuous rear-view display (like that of BMTC volvo buses) since the rear-view is limited in my car, thanks to the thick pillars.

Most of them had warned me from buying black color since it requires quite a bit of task to maintain it. But I never faced any difficulties in maintaining it. I always want my car to be sparkling clean when I take it out in the morning. This mentality has made me dust my car every night using Jopasu duster and give it a wash every weekend. This has enabled me to keep the car paint swirl free and retain the luster.

Last week some jerk stole the "CRDi" and "Sportz" logos when I had parked my car. Advaith Hyundai claims that they don't have the stocks and will take long time to source it. Is there any other place where I can get these logos (other than Hyundai dealerships)?

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 5th July 2012 at 23:57.
guyfrmblr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 14:03   #38
BHPian

Re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed i20 Sportz CRDi- 1 year of trouble free ownership. 25000

Hi guyfrmblr!

Good to hear that you have no issues with the steering rattle. I own a 2011 Hyundai CRDI Sportz and its now clocked 24000 KMS. I have faced the rattling issues however, replacing the damping kit ( of the new i gen i20) has atleast fixed the issue for now.

You can get the logos from an aftermarket spare parts shop. They keep it. In Delhi, Kashmere gate is a famous wholesale market for spare parts. Check a similar market in Bangalore.

Regards
Alive2Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 19:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive
Hi guyfrmblr!

Good to hear that you have no issues with the steering rattle. I own a 2011 Hyundai CRDI Sportz and its now clocked 24000 KMS. I have faced the rattling issues however, replacing the damping kit ( of the new i gen i20) has atleast fixed the issue for now.
Good to know that your rattling issue has been solved. How many months has it been since you replaced the damping kit? I have seen many i20 owners in this forum getting some vague temporary fixes for the rattling issue from Hyundai. The issue used to reappear after some days. Hope it doesn't reappear in your car. Keep us updated about it.
Old 6th July 2012, 20:32   #40
BHPian

Re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed i20 Sportz CRDi- 1 year of trouble free ownership. 25000

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post

Fuel Efficiency :

Initially was getting mileage of around 18 kmpl. 70% of my travel are along countryside roads where traffic is less dense.

Now I'm following some fuel efficient driving techniques:
1. Shifting to higher gears as fast as possible.
2. Maximum usage of engine braking.
3. Avoiding flooring of throttle until the turbo kicks in.
4. Avoiding lugging and over revving of engine.
5. Avoiding clutch riding.
6. Predicting the behaviour of other vehicles so as to avoid constant braking.
7. Maintaining a constant speed as much as possible.
8. Driving in a smooth manner which keeps me and others on the road relaxed.

After implementing the above techniques, I'm able to get FE of around 21 kmpl.
You have maintained your car really well.. I am sure she is gonna give you many more (s)miles..

I tend to follow all your tips for my 1400 km old Brio and she gives me 16+
Point 6 - Is true to the Capital T, you can even avoid braking, down shifting, clutching just by being vigilant.

Regarding the Headlight issue, did you change your headlamp bulb ? I changed mine to Osram Night breakers the very next day. I have put a pic here.

Last edited by adityasiera : 6th July 2012 at 20:34.
adityasiera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 22:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
You have maintained your car really well.. I am sure she is gonna give you many more (s)miles..

I tend to follow all your tips for my 1400 km old Brio and she gives me 16+
Point 6 - Is true to the Capital T, you can even avoid braking, down shifting, clutching just by being vigilant.

Regarding the Headlight issue, did you change your headlamp bulb ? I changed mine to Osram Night breakers the very next day. I have put a pic here.
Thats a very good FE you are getting bro . It'll definitely increase as your car crunches more miles.

I haven't changed my headlamps. Any major tweaking of electricals done for the installation of Osram bulbs? I really fear of getting the electrical warranty void.
Old 6th July 2012, 22:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any major tweaking of electricals done for the installation of Osram bulbs? I really fear of getting the electrical warranty void.
Absolutely nothing. All you have to do is remove the old bulbs and put the NB+ in their place. Depending on how easy it is to access, it may take you 20 mins or an hr if the entire HL assembly is to be removed.

No warranty issues as long as you stick to the stock wattage i.e 55/60.

PS: What is the service interval for the i20 CRDi, Is it 10000km/6months ? If that is the case, the car gets serviced twice in a year right ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 6th July 2012 at 23:10.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 01:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:

I haven't changed my headlamps. Any major tweaking of electricals done for the installation of Osram bulbs? I really fear of getting the electrical warranty void.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Absolutely nothing. All you have to do is remove the old bulbs and put the NB+ in their place. Depending on how easy it is to access, it may take you 20 mins or an hr if the entire HL assembly is to be removed.

No warranty issues as long as you stick to the stock wattage i.e 55/60.
Thats what even I wanted to know. The i20 lamps sometime feel kinda weak in pitch dark areas. Moreover, here Im sitting with an extended warranty as well and I don't want to get it void.

I asked the Service associate but he was not too happy about it. He said that a cut would have to be made in the headlight assembly and with the relays and stuff. Also some other mumbo jumbo. I thought Im not going for it if anything ruins the warranty.

So this Osram Nightbreaker Plus is a plug and play bulb like the stock bulbs??
Are there any other competitive products in the market like Philips etc.?
These are white-lights right?
What about the Fog lamps? How would those be installed?

Last edited by arrowaby : 7th July 2012 at 01:44.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:35   #44
BHPian

None. They are of the same wattage as factory ones. And its d complete diy too. I checked with Honda guys as long as the factory wiring is not touched yr warranty stays intact
Old 7th July 2012, 12:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
Thats what even I wanted to know. The i20 lamps sometime feel kinda weak in pitch dark areas. Moreover, here Im sitting with an extended warranty as well and I don't want to get it void.
No worries on the warranty as long as no wires are cut or spliced. You can infact, buy these bulbs and ask the hyundai service guys to install them for you.

Quote:
I asked the Service associate but he was not too happy about it. He said that a cut would have to be made in the headlight assembly and with the relays and stuff. Also some other mumbo jumbo. I thought Im not going for it if anything ruins the warranty.
He's right about relays if 90/100w bulbs are to be installed.

Quote:
So this Osram Nightbreaker Plus is a plug and play bulb like the stock bulbs??
These are white-lights right?
Yes Osram NB+ bulbs are plug and play and pretty simple to install. From my observation the low beam is a LOT better compared to stock, the high beam is average.

Quote:
You can check xtreme-vision or blue-vision ultra in philips, these are not fully white nor completely yellow. Its midway and will not be useless in rains.

Quote:
I'm not too sure of the bulb type in the i20, i think they are H27. If you go for xtreme vision in the main lamps, i suggest you buy the same type for the fog lamps too. Also, replcae the W5W bulbs(parking bulbs & rear number plate bulb) to white one's when you go for a replacement to get a complete white look.

Hope it helps!
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks