Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2011, 16:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla 2004 - Long Term Ownership Report 55000KM

Nice write up dkaile. You are one big Toyota fan and aren't you?

Looking at the pics and reading your report felt like I was looking at my car! My 2003 Corolla has done 80,000 Kms and is in pretty much the same condition as your car. The reliability of the car has been amazing. I have to rack my brains when people ask about issues and niggles faced with the car.

I totally agree with you about the low maintenance costs. We too have a Santro at home and the running cost (fuel cost included) of the Corolla has been lower than that of the Santro.

That VVTi motor is actually quite underrated. The throttle response is very good and power delivery is very linear right from low down in the rpm range. People don't expect the Corolla to be quick. But the car has held its own in highway duels with Civics, Lauras, Cedias, Citys etc..

THe only grouse I have had with the car is the tight gear shift action. Can be a pain in bumper to bumper traffic.

Sad I will be selling it shortly. Three cars is too much to handle at home.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 14:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

@dkaile, that's a really well maintained car and surely does not look like it has served you over 7+ years. Reading the post above from @Santoshbhat surely the Toyotas make ever lasting cars that keep running. No wonder they sell so well.

PS: You are one Toyota fan and rightfully so looking at the way this car served you.
Old 19th September 2011, 08:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Nice write up dkaile. You are one big Toyota fan and aren't you?
Thank you Santoshbhat. I am an astute businessman and I am a Toyota fan only because I got my money's worth. In the long term it is delivered value much higher than the Marutis and Hondas, I had previously owned. Sorry to see your Corolla also taking leave shortly. I hope you will replace it with another Toyota.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
@dkaile, that's a really well maintained car and surely does not look like it has served you over 7+ years. Reading the post above from @Santoshbhat surely the Toyotas make ever lasting cars that keep running. No wonder they sell so well.

PS: You are one Toyota fan and rightfully so looking at the way this car served you.
Thank you mayankjha1806 and you are spot on in your observations.

-------------------

Sadly the Corolla has now left my company and I said goodbye to the dear friend on 14-09-2011. Took consolation in the fact that it was going to a close family friend locally and I could always have a look at my darling whenever I wished.

BTW, I had a test drive the Altis Diesel once again yesterday at Delhi. And after driving the humongous 3.0L diesel of the Falcon, this engine's acceleration really seemed puny in comparison. I could really notice the turbo lag that all were talking about with this 1.4L diesel which was really noticeable below 2000 rpm. Surely a 15L car does NOT deserve such a puny diesel. Toyota better wake up to this fact.
Old 21st September 2011, 13:31   #19
BHPian

Very well written dkaile.
The TOCO is really in very good condition and does'nt seem to be 7 years old.
It reminds me of what my father always says and he is a retired Auto industry professional: "if its a Toyota you need not think twice before buying it".
anuragn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 13:41   #20
BANNED

Excellent write up. Only my Civic may not clock up 55000 till 2023 at least. Hope I am still around!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 14:31   #21
BHPian

Congratulation to DK on 7 years of Happy Ownership of Corolla. She gave you trouble free service and you reciprocated by treating her well. That is how a relationship should be. I can also understand the pain one feels when parting with such a beloved car. I also sold my Matiz 3 months after I bought the Altis. With Matiz it was a 10 years long love affair as she gave me sterling service, never stalled on the road. I tried to keep both cars but regretfully had to sell it off as I had no place or use for 2 cars, and Matiz would have simply rusted. When she departed, we had tears in our eyes.

I bought my Altis V in March 2009 after evaluating Linea and City. I also bought it from Uttam Toyota Noida and have driven it for about 18000 kms only as half the time we are in UK. apart from routine servicing, only once wheel alignment and battery charging had to be done. Most of the qualities of Corolla have already been highlighted by DK.

I will simply add that it brings "Joy of Ownership" being a trouble free and very comfortable car. Thank you Toyota.

Last edited by akj53 : 21st September 2011 at 14:32.
akj53 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 13:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Very well written dkaile.
The TOCO is really in very good condition and does'nt seem to be 7 years old.
It reminds me of what my father always says and he is a retired Auto industry professional: "if its a Toyota you need not think twice before buying it".
Thank You anuragn; Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Excellent write up. Only my Civic may not clock up 55000 till 2023 at least. Hope I am still around!
Sir, its an honor to see you here. And we will share a drink in 2023 (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
I will simply add that it brings "Joy of Ownership" being a trouble free and very comfortable car. Thank you Toyota.
Thank you akj53. Well said and I would advice people to first own a Toyota for a few years before start bashing it up as I see on many topics.
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:42   #23
BHPian

That is one terrific story of longterm experience & well written! I am jealous of you though @dkaile!

I am not so lucky as you! My baby is Altis 2009 model with 25K on the meter. While it was a dream run in the 1st year, which later turned to be a bad dream! In the past 1 year I have been making innumerable run to the dealer for many minor issues + one major issue of getting bad smell from outside. After the last maintainance job a month ago, I am relieved the bad smell has gone finally (though not completely but much better). There are other issues which continue to depress me though such as electrically folding mirror - 1 has gone out completly while the other has started going on & off. Also getting some kind of squeeking sound when taking the car out from standstill. What is paining is Toyota & its dealer do not seem to understand where the problems are & rectify the same. Neverthless they are interested to solve but do not know how!

Among all these only saving grace is the car rides like a gem has not given any mechanical breakdown or such, highly dependable for point A to B! Overall this experience has left a bad taste! For me personally don't see this T any better than our locally grown T, one has 100 yrs experience other a decade+!

Last edited by Gany : 2nd October 2011 at 13:45. Reason: spelling
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
That is one terrific story of longterm experience & well written! I am jealous of you though @dkaile!

For me personally don't see this T any better than our locally grown T, one has 100 yrs experience other a decade+!
Thank You Gany for the compliment.

I am quite saddened to note the problems faced on your Altis. Though they are minor issues but they should not occur. If you are insured, I would suggest you get both the folding mirrors replaced. Get the AC filter area checked for some debris stuck near the Fresh Air On/Off vent which may be causing the foul smell issue. Get the front suspension and steering tie-rod ends checked/greased for squeaking issues.

Best of Luck.
Old 27th November 2011, 19:26   #25
BHPian

Hi dkaile!

Absolutely loved your review! Coincidently, even I have a 2004 (Nov) Corolla in Champagne Gold! I can certainly vouch for the reliability of the Corolla. Its been 7 years and 89,000 kms. It still drives like new! Only major work done on it was a clutch overhaul. Sadly going to sell it next month, (making way for the Passat!).

Never had any major problems with the car throughout the time we've had it. Luck finally ran out last week. Some idiot drove into the front-right corner of it at a crossing! :(

The 1st pic is after the accident recently. :(

The 2nd pic is about a year old: Posing with our 'then-new' Altis. (Sorry for poor pic quality)
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Corolla 2004 - Long Term Ownership Report 55,000 KM-img00188201009202358.jpg  

Toyota Corolla 2004 - Long Term Ownership Report 55,000 KM-img00201201111190712.jpg  

Old 27th November 2011, 19:37   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

an excellent long term review. even a pal of mine has a 2004 corolla which he bought around 3 years ago pre-owned. no trouble at all with that car! amazing quality. I drove it recently - it had done around 65000 kms and going absolutely strong.
very nice vehicle indeed - near indestructible.
and by george! it moves very quickly indeed, when one is "sending it" along those lovely twisties in the hills.
very nice handling and overall quality.
hats off to those boys at Toyota - they've given us relatively starved-for-quality Indians some great stuff.
Old 28th November 2011, 11:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Absolutely loved your review!
Thank You fordfreak. And sorry to hear about your plight. It should be repairable easily even at some 3rd party denter as most parts are easily available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
an excellent long term review.
Thank You shankar.balan. Yes, Toyota does set new benchmarks for quality for the Indian customers. That is why in such a scenario where the Indian car market stares at its worst slowdown in years, the waiting period of certain Toyota models like the Fortuner , Innova and Etios (D) is still running in 2-3 months.
Old 8th January 2012, 09:48   #28

Thanks DKaile for such a fantastic report on the TOCO. I was contemplating on buying a used 2005 H4 G AT TOCO. Its done 1 Lakh kms. That is the only concern. Having lived and driven Japanese cars in US, I know for a fact that Toyota cars sold in US can last for 2L Kms easily.

I am hoping it is the case with the ones sold in India as well.

The asking price was 5 lakhs and I was able to bring it down to 4.5.

What do you think? I have posted this on the USed car thread as well and am desperate for advice.

Thanks a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Thank You fordfreak. And sorry to hear about your plight. It should be repairable easily even at some 3rd party denter as most parts are easily available.

Thank You shankar.balan. Yes, Toyota does set new benchmarks for quality for the Indian customers. That is why in such a scenario where the Indian car market stares at its worst slowdown in years, the waiting period of certain Toyota models like the Fortuner , Innova and Etios (D) is still running in 2-3 months.
Old 8th January 2012, 12:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra98 View Post
I am hoping it is the case with the ones sold in India as well.
The asking price was 5 lakhs and I was able to bring it down to 4.5.
I think you can squeeze him further to 4L for 1L driven vehicle. Also do a thorough checkup and ensure that all crucial mechanicals, AC evaporator etc. are all in top condition and unrepaired. Check service history and job works done.
Old 8th January 2012, 14:06   #30

I was trying for 4L. But this is the Toyota certified Used Car showroom and they were not willing to go any lower than 4.5 L. Since this is older than 5 years they cannot certify it. Not sure if that should be a huge concern or not.
They had shown me the original docs and all. However I need to ask him for service history as well. The insurance is valid till July 2012.

I need to get it checked through a mechanic. Dunno any one in Bangalore. Today I am taking a fellow BHPian to get his advice as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I think you can squeeze him further to 4L for 1L driven vehicle. Also do a thorough checkup and ensure that all crucial mechanicals, AC evaporator etc. are all in top condition and unrepaired. Check service history and job works done.

Most Viewed