Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2012, 21:31   #46
BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla 2004 - Long Term Ownership Report 55,000 KM

whats happening with the used corolla market, I am told here in Pune that there are good corollas available even from the starting range of 2.25 lakhs
Old 4th August 2012, 18:51   #47

We recently bought a Corolla in the family which is a 2006 H1 model, single owner, 48k on the odo, well maintained with service records for 3.2lacs.
I personally drove the car before finalizing the deal and it drove like a gem.
In the process of installing a CNG (sequential) kit as it'll be driven daily for an average of 60-80kms.

I must say, that the toyota corolla market has indeed gone down compared to the Honda Civics that I have seen around recently.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:16   #48
BHPian

Excellent long term ownership review - goes on to say, why we all love our Toyota !
I own a 2004 H2E Corolla 56000kms run, and can vouch for all the good mentions.

However, I recently came across a problem after a normal paid service - the car misfired and the rpm kept dropping below 500 at lower speeds. I took it back to the service station, and they mentioned this could be possible due to water seepage into the injectors. Shocked as I was, they rectified the problem after a prolonged 8 hours which included cleaning of injector nozzles and replacing the "O" rings.

It has been a week since this problem is rectified, but I am now not so confident in overtaking at higher speeds fearing loss of power. Has any of you faced this problem ? Do you think that the problem is resolved by replacing the "O" rings ?
ajay9252 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 13:58   #49
BHPian

Have a 2006 Corolla H2 model (60,000 Km). No issues thus far, no part replacements other than those done on regular service, have changed brake pads once and 5 tyres earlier this year.

Went for the 60,000 Km service this morning and the service advisor has said that the front left shock absorber (approx INR3.5K) and clutch assembly (approx INR8.5K) need replacement and vehicle would be delivered tomorrow.

Should I take these items in my stride as normal for 60K km or is there anything unusual ? Am a sedate driver (self driven), but the road to work takes 70 minutes for 15km, so there is a fair amount of clutch usage. Usage pattern would have been about 50K on city and rest 10K on highways.
Please provide any inputs on the replacement of these parts.

thanks,
subbarp
Old 28th November 2012, 15:44   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Have a 2006 Corolla H2 model (60,000 Km). No issues thus far, no part replacements other than those done on regular service, have changed brake pads once and 5 tyres earlier this year.

Went for the 60,000 Km service this morning and the service advisor has said that the front left shock absorber (approx INR3.5K) and clutch assembly (approx INR8.5K) need replacement and vehicle would be delivered tomorrow.

Should I take these items in my stride as normal for 60K km or is there anything unusual ? Am a sedate driver (self driven), but the road to work takes 70 minutes for 15km, so there is a fair amount of clutch usage. Usage pattern would have been about 50K on city and rest 10K on highways.
Please provide any inputs on the replacement of these parts.

thanks,
subbarp
I have a 2005 Corolla done 88K. Have had a couple of brake pad changes but your point of changing the clutch assembly and shock absorbers is unusual at 60K. I think you should inquire it a bit more because my car's running fine till now but dunno if it requires these changes when it goes for its next service in couple of months. At 60K these repairs are unusual in my opinion you should definitely investigate it further.
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 09:02   #51
BHPian

I am selling my Corolla 2004 this month, after 63k on the odo, and i strongly relate to the sentiments shared in this thread. I hope i can find someone who is as emotional about this gem of a product. :(
ajay9252 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2013, 10:58   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay9252 View Post
I am selling my Corolla 2004 this month, after 63k on the odo, and i strongly relate to the sentiments shared in this thread. I hope i can find someone who is as emotional about this gem of a product. :(
I cannot question your decision but your car is still young to be sold. IMHO it reaches it's middle age after crossing at least 1.5 L kms. My dad uses a 2003 which has crossed 1.5 L kms and he still in no mood to sell. If it is well maintained it can see the other side of 5 L just like that. I have seen a 2003 used as a taxi, it's without a scratch and the ODO shows 5 L +, this was more than a year back, and it's still doing duty as on date. For what I see is that the resale for 2004 is in its last stage of depreciation. You may get 3 at the most. Think again if you really want to sell it. In any case keep us updated.
Old 31st August 2013, 20:38   #53
BHPian

I'm re-posting what I've posted on to a few classified websites under "Description" in order to sell my car. After I was done typing this in, I figured this would be a decent "Long Term Ownership Report"!

However, after going through this thread again, I am rethinking whether I should sell. As you've all pointed out, its still early days for the car...

============
Description:
  1. The car is a first-generation Toyota Corolla. This model being the top-end, it came with *ALL* the options. And they *ALL* work absolutely fantastic. Except for a squeaky Driver's side power window, the damn thing refuses to show any sign of age at *ALL*!
  2. Its an automatic, and suits those with a balanced driving temperament. NOT for maniacs. This is an out and out cruiser. Although its blisteringly fast when you shove the pedal down.
  3. The fuel efficiency? 10.8 kmpl in City, with air-conditioning, in the month of June. 11.2 without the air-con. 17-20 kmpl on the highway, depending on the state of repairs on the highway.
  4. I got new tyres installed this July, last week. They're Bridgestone MY-02s. These are sporty and grippy tires. If you're anal about them, the size is: 195/65 R-15. They're up-sized for MUCH better ride quality and comfort than 195/60s that come stock. I had MY-01s on the car earlier. Please check with your local tire retailer for the price
  5. TEAM-BHP BONUS POINTS: I chose the MY-02s over the Michelin Primacy LC, Yokohama V550, and even the Pirellis. I previously had MY-01s, and was just too happy with them.
  6. The stereo is the stock Cassette + 6 Disc Changer.
  7. Speakers are Stock: Components in the front, 6 inchers on the rear-parcel shelf.
  8. You might want to know: I am the second owner of the car. However, on the RC I'm the 3rd. Thats a technicality we can discuss later. She is registered in New Delhi. Also, the 1st and 2nd owner (same guy) was the CEO of one of India's largest telecom companies. Hats-off to him for maintaining the car as well as it was when it came to me.
  9. The leather. You have to touch it to believe it. (I had it re-done last year.)
  10. If you're going to slap on a CNG kit, I'm not selling.
  11. If you're not buying this for your SELF, I'm not selling. (mamas and chachas don't count)
  12. If you're going to nit pick to beat me down on the price, I'm not selling.
  13. Every time I hit a pot-hole over the past week (ever since I decided to part with it), I've said to myself ""I'll miss you darling, you take such good care of me!"
  14. This car might be better than a safari when it comes to beating Indian roads.
  15. The rear seat is unbelievably comfortable. Civics and Superbs don't even come CLOSE! The closest I've come to the comfort in it is the rear seat of the Ambassador. The corolla is better than the amby. Get the picture?
  16. NO TEST DRIVES. You want a test drive, go to a showroom.
  17. I'm not posting my phone number here. I will, however, reply to a clearly worded email within 24 hours. I hope.
  18. Bottomline:
  19. Its a corolla that's as good as the day it came out of the showroom. Maybe a few scratches and a missing front logo, and a left side ORVM (thats lying in the boot).
  20. The engine, transmission, suspension and brakes are excellent.
  21. They're good for another 800,000 kms, 500,000 kms, 40,000 kms and 30,000 kms respectively. In my hands, at least.
  22. The tires will last another 50,000 kms if you don't neglect the alignment.
  23. Oh! It has airbags too!! (never been used)
  24. OOh Oh! It has parking sensors too!! (Used EVERYDAY)
godog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 22:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2007 Esteem Vxi in pretty good condition. I came across this 2006 Toyota Corolla H2 1.8E, 60k kms done. The asking price is Rs 2.3L. Do you think I should sell the esteem and go for it ?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Corolla 2004 - Long Term Ownership Report 55,000 KM-2006toyotacorolla.jpg  

Old 20th December 2013, 23:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I have a 2007 Esteem Vxi in pretty good condition. I came across this 2006 Toyota Corolla H2 1.8E, 60k kms done. The asking price is Rs 2.3L. Do you think I should sell the esteem and go for it ?
If you purchased a brand new Esteem in 2007 then I think you should retain it.
Old 20th December 2013, 23:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Corolla is a great car to upgrade, i have owned an esteem in past. But the car pic you have shown is not H2 it is HE a cut price version Toyota came out with to boost Corolla sales. Which place are you, if it is Bangalore (which is the most expensive market) I' d give 2.3 in Delhi not more than 2. It doesn't have even climate control, fogs etc. Mags look like a negotiated upgrade.
Old 21st December 2013, 12:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
If you purchased a brand new Esteem in 2007 then I think you should retain it.
No the Esteem is pre-owned and bought in February 2012. It has about 80k on the odo now. Though all periodic changes like ac belt, timing belt, PS belt, brake pads, brake cylinders, steering overhaul, etc was done recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Corolla is a great car to upgrade, i have owned an esteem in past. But the car pic you have shown is not H2 it is HE a cut price version Toyota came out with to boost Corolla sales. Which place are you, if it is Bangalore (which is the most expensive market) I' d give 2.3 in Delhi not more than 2. It doesn't have even climate control, fogs etc. Mags look like a negotiated upgrade.
I am in Kolkata. Now thats a good insight you gave me. The owner claims it to be a H2. However, I have some interior snaps and I can see Airbags on both sides but has air conditioner instead of Automatic Climate Control. It seems to be an H1. That came with alloys. But the climate control and no defoggers, has got me thinking again.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 21st December 2013 at 12:23.
Old 5th May 2014, 13:36   #58
BHPian

Hi dkaile!

I had posted on this thread earlier (post #25), but that was a long time ago. I was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions I had.

Things ended up quite differently since my last post (I didn't end up selling my car and still have it with me today). My Corolla (Nov-04 car in Champagne Mica Gold) is sparingly used since we got the VW and has managed to add only 4,000 kms in the last two and a half years. It currently has about 93,000 kms on the odo.

1. On full lock while turning to the right, I can hear a metallic clicking noise from somewhere in the front suspension. Have you ever come across something like this? And given the distance the car has run, would you recommend a suspension check-up/over haul?
2. Where did you get the Cassette Adapter to use on your iPod? And for how much if I may ask?
3. The steering starts to vibrate severely after crossing 120-130 km/hr. What could be causing this?
4. Would you recommend checking any problem area (mechanical bits) in the car owing to its age?

I hope I wasn't too vague in my questions.

Thanks in advance,
fordfreak
Old 5th May 2014, 19:47   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

First let me clarify am not a Corolla owner. I just saw your post and replying you on the basis of mechanical's of any car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
1. On full lock while turning to the right, I can hear a metallic clicking noise from somewhere in the front suspension. Have you ever come across something like this? And given the distance the car has run, would you recommend a suspension check-up/over haul?
This can be a cause due to faulty driving shaft.

Quote:
2. Where did you get the Cassette Adapter to use on your iPod? And for how much if I may ask?
You can check this at Ebay.

Quote:
3. The steering starts to vibrate severely after crossing 120-130 km/hr. What could be causing this?
This can be a cause of faulty wheel balancing.

Quote:
4. Would you recommend checking any problem area (mechanical bits) in the car owing to its age?
As its 93,000kms done i would suggest you to check the followings-
Driving belt.
Brake pad and disks.
Silencer box and manifolds for any kind of rust.
The engine gaskets for any kind of oil leakage.
Clutch plate
Suspension and bushes
Tie-rod end, axle
wheel bearings
All the fluid levels and if required replace it.
Radiator cleaning

Hope it helps.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 10:44   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
First let me clarify am not a Corolla owner. I just saw your post and replying you on the basis of mechanical's of any car.

Hope it helps.
Thanks Samba! Very helpful indeed. Now to head to Topsel and get the car checked up.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed