Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2017, 15:08   #61
BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla 2004 - Long Term Ownership Report 55,000 KM

This is definitely one of the threads that drove me to picking one up. My brother wanted a car to learn driving. So the usual search starts right from premier padmini , 118NE, contessa, maruti 800, alto, zen, indica. I had a ford ikon 1.8D earlier and I have since moved to having no car instead. However, with Brother requesting for a small car, this was the time to look for an option that doesn't just serve as a tool to learn driving but take family out in comfort. So narrowed down to sedan with honda or Toyota. Looked at a lot of honda city OHC, type1 and type2. Almost ended up buying a very well maintained 2005 honda city type 2. With some wicked mufflers and deep, gorgeous sound. I had to smack some sense into my head as it was not going to be just me doing the occasional driving but passenger parents. So out went that modded city :(. However, managed to pick up a corolla 2003 model for 2.25L. There are a few noticeable scratches on the bumpers. But overall, what an upgrade from the diesel ford. I must say, the fun of driving, ergonomics, I still give ford the trophy. But everywhere else Corolla is leaps and bounds better and safer. If this looks like a plain statement, just run a comparision of the number of parts that go into making a ford Ikon vs this Toyota Corolla. I was thoroughly astounded when I looked at the following site.
http://auto-kat.com/index.php?route=...fication=11807. I will update the pics of the car shortly to my profile and add an album. It is pending a proper wash and a wax coat.

A few minor issues, the wiper fluid was leaking and nozzles weren't working but managed to get that fixed with the help of my brother, basically it was a disconnected pipe so I just brought some local pipe. Routing the water pipe turned out to be the biggest challenge but took nearly 2hrs to get this sorted. Switched to some super bright LED's and they make a stunning difference. Resemble the Xenons on the top end BMW's .
Tyres need changing.
High mounted Stop light inside the windshield needs to be checked.
lancersfx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 15:20   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Hi dkaile!
I was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions I had.

fordfreak

It currently has about 93,000 kms on the odo.
I believe the suspension and the bushings are rated at 60K kms if I heard that right from a Toyota advisor.

1. On full lock while turning to the right, I can hear a metallic clicking noise from somewhere in the front suspension. Have you ever come across something like this? And given the distance the car has run, would you recommend a suspension check-up/over haul?

I highly suspect this to be either the mounting plate that has the bearings busted or a combo of this plate failure and the struts. The coil spring themselves suffer hardly any damage but good to get all inspected.

2. Where did you get the Cassette Adapter to use on your iPod? And for how much if I may ask?
I got one free from my manager as he upgraded to hyndai Creta and that had all the connectivity options. It does the job but i feel the quality difference greatly between using a CD vs using a bluetooth streamer/receiver/cassette adapter.

3. The steering starts to vibrate severely after crossing 120-130 km/hr. What could be causing this?
Known issue with older models of corolla. I still have that problem I have been asked to change the tyres as they are worn. I have changed the front strut mount plate (~4k per plate) and both the strut assemblies. A couple of ways to test the strut mounts. Pick a side you want to inspect switch the wheel to full lock so that the coil spring is visible. the strut is covered by a flexible plastic bush cover. If there has been any leakage of hydraulic fluid then you'll se dust accumulated on the shiny thin pipe which is a part of the strut assembly. The second way is to push down the car (from the top of the car right above the wheel arch and it should bounce back with usually a single lift. If the car bounces a couple of times or more, then the wheel is held up purely by coil springs and the strut assembly has failed.

4. Would you recommend checking any problem area (mechanical bits) in the car owing to its age?

This is a solidly built car but to maintain longetivity, it is advisable to save up, get an inspection done and replace them preferably at toyota service center. I got mine serviced at Nandi toyota Kanakpura road.

Wheel bearings, Timing belts, spark plugs, suspension assembly these are some of the the common parts that take a brunt of daily driving. Any moving part has a finite life and depending on the weather and road conditions where the car is being driven the life of the parts vary.
Old 23rd June 2017, 12:43   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
It currently has about 93,000 kms on the odo.
I believe the suspension and the bushings are rated at 60K kms if I heard that right from a Toyota advisor.

1. On full lock while turning to the right, I can hear a metallic clicking noise from somewhere in the front suspension. Have you ever come across something like this? And given the distance the car has run, would you recommend a suspension check-up/over haul?

I highly suspect this to be either the mounting plate that has the bearings busted or a combo of this plate failure and the struts. The coil spring themselves suffer hardly any damage but good to get all inspected.

2. Where did you get the Cassette Adapter to use on your iPod? And for how much if I may ask?
I got one free from my manager as he upgraded to hyndai Creta and that had all the connectivity options. It does the job but i feel the quality difference greatly between using a CD vs using a bluetooth streamer/receiver/cassette adapter.

3. The steering starts to vibrate severely after crossing 120-130 km/hr. What could be causing this?
Known issue with older models of corolla. I still have that problem I have been asked to change the tyres as they are worn. I have changed the front strut mount plate (~4k per plate) and both the strut assemblies. A couple of ways to test the strut mounts. Pick a side you want to inspect switch the wheel to full lock so that the coil spring is visible. the strut is covered by a flexible plastic bush cover. If there has been any leakage of hydraulic fluid then you'll se dust accumulated on the shiny thin pipe which is a part of the strut assembly. The second way is to push down the car (from the top of the car right above the wheel arch and it should bounce back with usually a single lift. If the car bounces a couple of times or more, then the wheel is held up purely by coil springs and the strut assembly has failed.

4. Would you recommend checking any problem area (mechanical bits) in the car owing to its age?

This is a solidly built car but to maintain longetivity, it is advisable to save up, get an inspection done and replace them preferably at toyota service center. I got mine serviced at Nandi toyota Kanakpura road.

Wheel bearings, Timing belts, spark plugs, suspension assembly these are some of the the common parts that take a brunt of daily driving. Any moving part has a finite life and depending on the weather and road conditions where the car is being driven the life of the parts vary.
Thanks for your message lancersfx! Unfortunately, I sold the car over a year ago. Ended up with around 1,01,400 KM on the ODO at the time of sale.

I got the steering and suspension issues sorted out and also had to have my fuel lines changed as there was a leak. Got all the work done at the authorized dealer (Topsel Toyota) and was very satisfied with the end result. Other than that, didn't have to do anything to the car. It needed new tyres, but I left that job to the new owner.

I kind of regret selling it since it was such a solid car! The new owner drove it from Kolkata to Delhi and got an average of nearly 15 km/l! Speaks volumes about how well the 1st-gen Corolla was built. Really miss it!
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 10:44   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your message lancersfx! Unfortunately, I sold the car over a year ago. Ended up with around 1,01,400 KM on the ODO at the time of sale.
I got the steering and suspension issues sorted out and also had to have my fuel lines changed as there was a leak.
I kind of regret selling it since it was such a solid car! The new owner drove it from Kolkata to Delhi and got an average of nearly 15 km/l! Speaks volumes about how well the 1st-gen Corolla was built. Really miss it!

Oh well glad to know it found a new owner who managed to continue with its phenomenal reliability with a test of the long drive . Just curious to know what was the problem to your steering and suspension issues? Also It is almost time for me to change tyres and i'm doing homework on that front so hopefully should have an update in a couple of weeks.
Old 2nd September 2017, 11:46   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Oh well glad to know it found a new owner who managed to continue with its phenomenal reliability with a test of the long drive . Just curious to know what was the problem to your steering and suspension issues? Also It is almost time for me to change tyres and i'm doing homework on that front so hopefully should have an update in a couple of weeks.
It's been a long time since this repair was done and thus I don't remember the exact details. If I'm not wrong, we had gotten the steering rack, shock absorbers and a few other minor parts changed. Also got the balancing + alignment done on the wheels. The steering vibrations and noises ceased after the work mentioned was done.

Coincidentally, I've just got the rack and shocks changed on my Altis (63K on the ODO). Now it drives like new.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 13:04   #66
BHPian

Quote:
If I'm not wrong, we had gotten the steering rack, shock absorbers and a few other minor parts changed. Also got the balancing + alignment done on the wheels. The steering vibrations and noises ceased after the work mentioned was done.
That's great. I had the front suspension assembly replaced front with the strut mount plates. So the front is healthy no steering noises However, there are vibrations post 100kph so i have been asked to change tyres which i had to do anyway for two reasons:
1. The tread life looks good but there look to be start of minor sidewall cracks.
2. Wanted to switch to tubeless anyway as most of the puncture repair shops damage the alloys by pounding on it and placing on the road. I was baffled .
Old 30th March 2018, 20:33   #67
BHPian

Hello all,
After going through this thread I have started to feel this urge to buy one Corolla for myself, no matter how old.
Now, Interestingly I'm getting one too. But I'm a bit confused whether to go ahead with it or not.
To be honest I don't even know the year of the car as of now. But its around 2006-07 make. Top model. The one with 10 spoke alloy wheels, 6 CD changer, etc.
In all these years it's only run for about 60-65K odd kms. No accidental case, never claimed any insurance, single handed used, properly serviced.
I know all these because a family friend owns it. I won't even need to change it to my name because it's already registered in my cousin's name.
Now, I already have a vento 1.5 tdi 2015 and a scross 1.3 2015. I'm not in an immediate need of a car whatsoever but somehow I can't resist buying this one.
So basically my question is or rather my questions are:
1. How is the ride experience compared to the two cars that I own? (I wanna buy one petrol car just to experience what I have only read)
2. What price should I pay? (The owner has left it all upon me, whatever price I pay he will accept)
3. Since it is currently 11-12 years old and around 13-14 years old when I will be selling, what price will I get assuming car in appropriate condition?
I would like to add that I'm not in the market to buy a car but just because I'm getting this one, the urge isn't stopping.
Your two cents will help.
chintu_91 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks