Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 12:28   #1
BHPian

My Aashiana- Tata Indigo LS 2005 – 75000 kms

I have been in TBHP for long. Mostly have been a passive listener. This is my first thread as such.

I bought my first car in Apr 2000. It was a Maruti 800, Henna Green. I was 25 then and it was a dream accomplishment to be the first among peers to buy a new car. The car served me for a good 4 years and then I was feeling very cramped in the car. Sold it for a Maruti Esteem used car, but it was a disaster. Realised that unless you ,yourself are a car expert understanding the miniscule details of a car, never go for a second hand. I moved to Mangalore with a new job from Kochi, and I was feeling the need of a good new car. I wanted an SUV. Tried getting a Scorpio into my parking in the flat, but sadly there was no room. It was an acute angle and it would have given me nightmares to see scratches on it day 1. Sadly I decided to mellow down and finally ended up buying an Indigo very reluctantly.

The car was bought in my home town in KL, and they drove it down for me to Mangalore. A friend worked there and so I wasn’t too apprehensive. There was absolutely no hassles in terms of delivery and support. In Mangalore, I got my ICE done. The only enhancement I have done in the car.

I got transferred to Bangalore, on the 4th day of my Indigo reaching me. I should have waited a week, and I could have gone for a Scorpio. But as they say, all should be happening for good ( what else could I say, than look optimistic )

My experience in a Tata vehicle has been pleasant. If you want to go for a Tata, cut your expectation to zero, and the car would then over exceed your expectations. Having driven a lot of sedans of my friends, I would not rate the indigo anywhere close to any of them for the driving comfort, noise levels, dependency etc. But when it comes to VFM, I think Indigo played its part very well.

Been in the driver’s seat for a good 5 ½ years in this car, and i would rate myself extremely happy with the car. As I said, I had my expectations at the rock bottom. The only hitch is, after you drive a good quality sedan, and then try to drive this, you feel a major complex. I have lived with that, and that makes me a happy Tata customer.

The 2nd day of purchase, my team went to Hanumangundi near Mangalore, the car proved its worth. There were no hassles what-so-ever. Driving was a pleasure even in the ghats. I was happy of my purchase. Soon I was driving her to Bangalore. Again zero hassles all the way.

The first service experience was a nightmare the moment I reached Concorde motors in Bangalore. I felt like a cab driver for the first time. Just another Call Taxi. The service experience was bad too. I had to take the call on dropping my expectation levels again. The worst experience of service came much later, when I had to wait for a good one hour at the quick service bay, to get my coolant filled. That too was done after escalating to all levels. I said good bye to Concorde, and ever since my car is been serviced by a private service centre, and I'm more than happy with it.

My tyres ran for a good 50k kms, and then I had the replaced. I had to change my clutch set twice, thanks to the bumper-to bumper Bangalore traffic. Minor niggles on and off, the car has been a good work horse.

The current mileage is 75000 kms and ticking, and that's going to stop soon, as I'm going for an upgrade to most probably a Safari. I have my eyes set on it for long now, and it is time to bid an honourable farewell to my Indigo.

The plus of the car
Value for money. I took her at 5lacs OTR.
Negligible maintenance cost
A decent city vehicle, easy to negotiate and works good for a bumper 2 bumper mode
Very good mileage, doesn’t burn your pocket
Extremely spacious. Including the boot space

The Minus factors
Just another TATA basic car
You feel like one of those million cab drivers
Tata engineers needs basic training, on how not to make a car rattle
Electronics are as good as in a Cheap Chinese toy

Will I go for another Tata. Yes as long as that is a Safari.
Old 13th September 2011, 14:22   #2
BHPian

Re: My Aashiana- Tata Indigo LS 2005 – 75000 kms

Attaching few snaps of my car
Attached Thumbnails
My Aashiana- Tata Indigo LS 2005 – 75000 kms-100_3024.jpg  

My Aashiana- Tata Indigo LS 2005 – 75000 kms-100_3016.jpg  

My Aashiana- Tata Indigo LS 2005 – 75000 kms-100_3173.jpg  

Old 14th September 2011, 12:20   #3
BHPian

Congrats for completing 75K kms on your CS LS Manubhai!

For sure, CS is a best VFM car in its class. Now, a new Version CS eVX with a CR4 engine and ABS and Bluetooth Music system, is available for the grabs.
Ofcourse with minimum changes in the body but a few good improvements on the NVH and equipment levels.

This again is the first Sedan in India to offer 25kmpl of Diesel. Breaking its own earlier record.

Though its a very old product ( A by- product rather), it still holds the monopoly in the Sub 4 meter Sedans. Competition expected from Maruti and M&M soon.

Happy Motoring!

Regards,
Maverick79
Old 14th September 2011, 14:08   #4
BHPian

Great to know you are one of the satisfied customers for Tata!!
I too have one, and I understand what you mean by "zero expectations". Given the fact that i got my Indica in 2006, i cant help but think it is still the best VFM car money could have bought back then.
Old 14th September 2011, 14:33   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the review, Mannubhai.
You mentioned you got the servicing done at a private garage ever since the first bad service experience. Didn't you have any warranty related claims during the ownership? How were they attended to?

Also, interesting to note that after being interested in a Scorpio all along, you have finally decided on the Safari.
Old 14th September 2011, 18:33   #6
BANNED

Now that is a happy TATA review.
Where is your car being looked after these days?
What is the FE you have been getting in Blore traffic?

And, why a Safari now instead of a Scorpio?
Old 15th September 2011, 16:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Great to know you are one of the satisfied customers for Tata!!
I too have one, and I understand what you mean by "zero expectations". Given the fact that i got my Indica in 2006, i cant help but think it is still the best VFM car money could have bought back then.
Satisfaction is a decision :P .. I cant say i was ever unhappy with my indigo though. Im a happy owner. Expectation levels makes all the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thanks for the review, Mannubhai.
You mentioned you got the servicing done at a private garage ever since the first bad service experience. Didn't you have any warranty related claims during the ownership? How were they attended to?

Also, interesting to note that after being interested in a Scorpio all along, you have finally decided on the Safari.
Ben,I serviced my car till the free service with concorde and then moved on. Have not had warranty claims. Been probably lucky Never claimed insurance in 11 yrs of driving either

Safari vs Scorpio is a Heart vs Brain game. Its still on, with the heart having an edge now. Hopefully Ill decide this week .

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Now that is a happy TATA review.
Where is your car being looked after these days?
What is the FE you have been getting in Blore traffic?

And, why a Safari now instead of a Scorpio?
Dev, My car is serviced by a mechanic known well to my office. Does a decent job and is on call 24X7. Havent really checked the last FE. SHud do so before i sell it. But im getting a pretty decent FE for sure.

Scor/Safari tussle as mentioned above ,.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks