Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2013, 19:08   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Team,

There is no confusion, the oil change interval has always been 10K post the first service, irrespective of whether it is mineral or synthetic. People have been following the same on the old swift for years.

The new swift might be running a slightly different tune and the power figures have remained same, i don't see the logic behind MSIL's suggestion for synthetic oil.

Few enthusiasts change the oil at every 5kms, out of the personal interest. It is not that mineral oil is good only for 5-7K kms.
I agree, I have started changing the oil at 10 k too against the 5 K that I used to do before in my swift diesel with the normal Mobil Delvac MX. I find 5 k intervals to be too less. This time I plan to use synthetic oil during the next oil change and not see the service station for 10 thousand km. Of course I will clean the air filter every 2 to 3 thousand k, but that's that.
Old 21st January 2013, 10:42   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for the charts. What app are you using?
I use an app named RoadTrip on my iPhone. Pretty useful if you get a full tank at each fill. Syncs with Dropbox as well.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 12:55   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

The 30k service interval involves cleaning of the EGR, Intercooler, oil and oil filter change.
How much did they charge for the IC and EGR cleaning .
Im nearing 45k in the Ritz Vdi and planning to get the same done when i go for the engine oil change .

Also regarding the RoadTrip app, i downloaded it but im not sure how to provide the inputs for the fuel and all .
It only shows facts about my present GPS location .

Cheers
Old 1st June 2013, 08:38   #139
Team-BHP Support

35,000 kms update:

The Swift trudged past 35,000 kms in the 3rd week. I had planned a 10 day marathon drive across south India through Munnar - Kanyakumari, traversing Kerala south to North - Goa and Pune. In view of this and my routine 5,000 kms oil change interval it was time to take the car to the service station. Unfortunately due to time constraints, I couldn't make it to my regular Maruti after sales service station and hence visited my friendly neighborhood garage: Tune Up Plus.

The job card was straight forward:

- Replace oil & oil filter.
- Clean air filter
- Replace wiper blades. (Monsoons down south are unpredictable)
- Car wash

An initial survey on team-bhp "Diesel oil thread" made me take a leap for a better oil grade instead of the standard oil replaced at the Maruti service station. Most recommendations on the thread suggest use of Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 and that's what I opted for.

Some research and phone calls pointed to "Raka Oil" who happen to be the distributors for Pune, Satara, Kolhapur, Sangli, Aurangabad, Solapur and Goa. Their sales representative suggested an oil depot in Kharadi which is closer to my workplace to purchase a 5 liter can. The MRP was Rs. 1,600/- and I got a small discount of 50 bucks. Well worth it I think. Their website: http://www.rakaoil.com/

Two days before my intended trip I visited Tune up plus and got a thorough inspection done. An oil change was carried out but I couldn't spare enough time to get a car wash done so I thought I'd get it done the following day.

35k Oil change in progress right next to a sexy looking Nissan:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_0795.jpg

Sai service has repeatedly failed to fix an issue with the remote boot release lever. It was getting annoying and I casually informed Abhijit (the owner) about it. He took a grip and sat in the boot and closed the lid. About 5 mins and adjustments to the lock, the lever has not failed on me yet.

Some friends recommended a switch to Cosworth stock replacement filter. Reasons being a very slight improvement in low end torque, easier to maintain, no replacement required for a lakh of kms and can be cleaned at home. So I went ahead with it. The cost of the filter worked out to Rs. 3,700/-. After 5,000 kms of driving and some unsatisfactory performance coupled with a noticeable drop in fuel economy I switched back to a stock replacement filter on the car. Can't take too many chances with a turbo charged car where an air filter is a crucial piece of equipment. The Cosworth filter will soon find its place in the classifieds section.

Mobil Delvac MX has been a welcome improvement. Due to a higher grade oil as compared to what the OEM recommends, performance during summers has seen a considerable improvement. Engine runs very smooth during a hot summer noon drive. The noise levels have reduced. The feeling for an oil change after crossing 4,000 kms has gone away as the oil holds viscosity better in my opinion. All in all, a highly recommended oil for those who are willing to spend a little extra for their beloved cars.

While carrying out the oil change, the mechanic working on the car observed some oil on one end of the right hand side drive shaft. He thought it to be an issue with the axle boot. On closer inspection he thought it could be some left over oil / grease that could have spread around while driving at high speeds. I thought I'd get it checked in the next 5,000 km service.

Just a few hours before I set off on the trip, the car got a thorough wash:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_0803.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st June 2013 at 09:12.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 08:41   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
How much did they charge for the IC and EGR cleaning .
Attaching a complete service record including cost breakup till the 30,000 km run:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-swift_service.jpg
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 07:09   #141
Team-BHP Support

The Swift is an absolute delight to drive. It seems to have held well compared to other Maruti Suzuki cars that I have been used to. To begin with, there are very few rattles and squeaks. Quite unlike a Maruti product where the door panels, dash and boot would collectively create a racket inside the car. The only alternative is to turn the volume of your music system up.

The car went past 40,000 kms on 4May'13. 3,800 kms out of the last 5,000 have been clocked while driving across South India. Most of it on highways and the coastal belt of India from Kanyakumari to Goa. To say that I had a blast would be an understatement. The car lived up to its testimony of being a very reliable, fuel efficient and fun to drive product. Just the right blend to appeal to an Indian mindset.

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1301.jpg

At 40,000 kms, it was time for a routine 5,000 km service. There were some issues that were bothering me. There was some noise from the underbelly while driving over rough roads. I had presumed that the front suspension was shot. The brakes were not so great and were squeaking. Oil levels were fine but I had done some hard driving while on my trip. Booked a service appointment with Sai Service and landed up at the workshop at 7:00 am. As usual, I was the second customer to be there. Requested the service advisor for a quick service as I was going to hang around in the workshop till the car was ready. Problems reported:

Noise from the front underside:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1344.jpg

Oil stains seen on drive shaft during 35k service:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1346.jpg

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1345.jpg

Weak brakes:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1348.jpg

Oil change:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1341.jpg

Additionally, requested a replacement of gear box oil, coolant top up, brake oil top up and general checkup of the car.

Much to my dismay, the car stood there waiting in queue behind other cars that turned up much after me. Saw a couple of email addresses in the customer service lounge. Pradeep Bhonsale is the workshop manager and he seems to have quickly responded to what was an email expressing displeasure over the way cars are handled for priority. He sent his deputy over and the car was taken into the service bay. The mechanic working on the car was a thorough professional and did all the jobs with great detail.

The underside of the engine has two plastic panels for protection that are held together by clips. My experience with these has been terrible. This was the 4th time they had given away. The mech went out of his way and fixed the panel using 10mm bolts and nuts as a permanent solution. I was impressed to say the least. This may be the last time I have to worry about noise from the underside and rightly so! It's been 3,000 kms since last service and I haven't heard any noise from down below:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1368.jpg

Oil leak was traced to the sump. It seems the sump bolts were loose. Went under the car and noticed that my car's engine was assembled by Fiat Powertrain . Tightened the bolts and sprayed petrol to clean up the oil residue. We tested the fix by keeping the engine running for 15-20 mins and saw no oil.

I was kicking myself to have not paid attention to the brake pads. They were at near end of life and a few hundred kms on the highway would have sheared the brake discs. Much to my luck, I was at the service station in time. Also got the entire brake oil replaced.

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1350.jpg

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1351.jpg

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1357.jpg

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1367.jpg

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1365.jpg

Car feels much smoother. Brake bite has improved. The gears are smoother. Whatever Maruti did was the transmission links from the lever to the gearbox has worked! This is my first experience with a Maruti car that hasn't got any gear play at 40,000 kms. While at final billing, Pradeep Bhonsale waved off labour charges on brake overhaul. I didn't want the honest working mechanics wages to be cut off and insisted that he add them back to the job card tally. But he didn't budge and assured that the mechanics labour charge won't be taken off.

The next service is due soon and I'll only need an oil change this time. 50,000 kms will see a diesel filter replacement too.
moralfibre is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 11:02   #142
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know that you found about the sump leak in time. It is always a good idea to check the oil level every once in a while.

Quote:
The Swift is an absolute delight to drive. It seems to have held well compared to other Maruti Suzuki cars that I have been used to.
. I am still running the MRF ZVTV and those have become rock hard in the rains. But the car still doesn't complain over the roads here which have gone for an absolute toss in the rain. Will change over to XM2 when the new stock arrives.

Quote:
The underside of the engine has two plastic panels for protection that are held together by clips. My experience with these has been terrible. This was the 4th time they had given away. The mech went out of his way and fixed the panel using 10mm bolts and nuts as a permanent solution.
I have kept some clips with me so that I can proactively change them from time to time when the car is taken for a water wash. Never knew, we can fasten them with bolts.

Have fun!

Last edited by deetjohn : 12th July 2013 at 11:02. Reason: typo.
Old 16th July 2013, 09:30   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Went under the car and noticed that my car's engine was assembled by Fiat Powertrain .
Hi, what exactly pointed you out to the fact that your engine is manufactured by FIAT? I have a Swift ZDi and have been wanting to find out the same for my car. I am also sure that there has to be something in the Engine Number that tells us this but haven't been able to pin point the same.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 16th July 2013 at 13:58. Reason: Quote tags fixed as per RP
Old 16th July 2013, 11:55   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed in post 140 bill break up that you have done EGR valve cleaning and Intercooler cleaning at 30000 Kms. Is this part of regular service checklist or you had requested for this specifically ?
Old 19th July 2013, 06:52   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
Hi, what exactly pointed you out to the fact that your engine is manufactured by FIAT? I have a Swift ZDi and have been wanting to find out the same for my car. I am also sure that there has to be something in the Engine Number that tells us this but haven't been able to pin point the same.
See the belt? It has FPT marked on it. FPT is Fiat Powertrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Noticed in post 140 bill break up that you have done EGR valve cleaning and Intercooler cleaning at 30000 Kms. Is this part of regular service checklist or you had requested for this specifically ?
It is a part of regular service. I just checked with fellow mods Eddy and Jaggu for a second opinion and they asked me to go ahead with it.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 20:30   #146
BHPian

Quote:
See the belt? It has FPT marked on it. FPT is Fiat Powertrain.
I thought that FPT stands for Fenner power transmission. Fenner manufactures drive belts.

IIRC, there is a mark near the diesel HP pump side which indicates if the engine was manufactured by Fiat powertrain or suzuki powertrain.
Old 17th March 2014, 20:36   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
I thought that FPT stands for Fenner power transmission. Fenner manufactures drive belts.

IIRC, there is a mark near the diesel HP pump side which indicates if the engine was manufactured by Fiat powertrain or suzuki powertrain.
Check the logo on the belt and compare it with this one

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Po...n_Technologies

Hope that helps.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 20:49   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Check the logo on the belt and compare it with this one

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Po...n_Technologies

Hope that helps.
You are right.

I can barely read Continental also on that belt.
Do you know what is mentioned on the drive belts on engines manufactured by suzuki powertrain ?
Old 17th March 2014, 20:52   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
You are right.

I can barely read Continental also on that belt.
Do you know what is mentioned on the drive belts on engines manufactured by suzuki powertrain ?
As far as I know, there is nothing printed on the belts for engines manufactured by Maruti Suzuki.
Old 19th March 2014, 20:58   #150
Team-BHP Support

Been a while since I updated this thread. My apologies for the delay.

The car went past 45000 kms sometime in Aug 2013. We were a few months away from expecting our first baby and therefore a plan was made to drive down to Goa before we enter parenthood. The car had reached its 5000 km oil interval. Routine visits to the Maruti authorized service station weren't cost effective and neither good for a basic oil change job. Therefore I took it upon myself to change oil + oil filter and clean / replace the air filter.

Tools required:

- Size 27 for undoing the oil filter.
- Size 17 spanner for the oil drain bold.
- The air filter box is held by a series of Philips screws.

Got the car pressure washed at Sagar Auto care

Drove back home and collected all tools. Meanwhile the engine cooled down a bit. I am sucker for use of safety gear so, out came my Mechanix gloves I had picked up from the states. They not only help in saving your hands from cuts and bruises but they also aid in providing sufficient grip while using your tools. My Craftsman tool kit is quite useful for carrying out odd jobs as these. The 27mm bit was an add on purchase since I didn't have one. A plastic tub to drain out oil and a measuring jar for refilling oil were other purchases I made.

The process is simple, undo the drain bolt and place the tub to collect oil. Pull the dip stick up so that there is sufficient air available for oil to flow down smoothly. Next up, unscrew the oil filter cap and pull out old oil filter. I used a rag cloth underneath the old filter so that burnt oil doesn't spill in the engine bay. Use the same cloth to pull out oil from the filter area. Reverse the process to get things back in place.

The total oil capacity is around 3.5 liters however, most mechanics and experts recommend to first fill in 3.1 liters and inspect the level using the dip stick. Excess oil can blow your turbo oil seal. So I was cautious and the engine took just about 3.2 liters of oil. Took the air filter out and used an air blower that I have to clean it of all the dust.

I also used WD-40 generously on all door hinges and miscellaneous parts like the door handles, etc. Checked all lights and other electrical wiring that I could inspect in the engine bay to ensure there are no odd cuts or wear. Since I had time at hand, I decided to fix the low tone horn as well. Took the front bumper off to access the horn. The problem was a loose crimp on the connector. That's all it took to get the horn back in shape.

Just as it is with most oil changes, the engine felt fresh and revived. The clatter came down and I took the car for a quick spin on the NH4 bypass highway to ensure that all things are in place.

A click of the odo at 45,000 kms. (The car has crossed 55,000 kms as on date):

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1909-1.jpg

At the washing center:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1923.jpg

The hose above the oil filter cap has been rearranged in the new Swift vis-a-vis the old one see this

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1925.jpg

Dip stick pulled out:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1926.jpg

Wrench on the oil filter cap:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1929.jpg

Oil filter removed:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1930.jpg

New oil filter ready for replacement. Note that the o-ring has to be replaced too:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1931.jpg

My preferred brand of engine oil:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1933.jpg

Engine oil filled back in the empty can of oil to be disposed off at a friend's workshop:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1934.jpg

A look at the loose horn wire:

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1935.jpg

Bumper removed to fix it

My Gen3 Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi Sep2011 1,05,000km done EDIT: SOLD-img_1936.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th March 2014 at 21:30.
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks