Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 20:08   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Nice trip planned, have a blast. If you are doing Mumbai-Goa for the first time, do it on NH17.
First time? Naa!
Let me count -
  • Via NH4 on car - once
  • Via NH4 on bike - once
  • Via NH17 on car - once
  • Via train - X times
and so on

Jokes apart, the reason I asked was to know the current status of the road - last year I heard it had become quite bad. Guess I'll put it up on the appropriate thread to get a response.

Quote:
With rains here almost, it would be a scenic drive to enjoy the coastal road, with a stopover at Chiplun(For lunch at Quality Resort, The Riverview) and Ganpatiphule(Ganpati temple & beach).

Or if you wish to cover the distance quickly from Mumbai to Goa, NH4 is best, but no scenic coastal roads.

Do post the travelogue at the end of the journey. Have a safe drive.
NH4 is absolutely boring, but the NH4 - Amboli Ghat - Sawantwadi stretch is to die for! Will decide this on the final day I guess!

And yes, will hopefully get the enthu to put up a TL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I hope you didnt do that with the car!
Technically that holds true for the car too. We car-pooled with @scofield.

Quote:
If you have some time and would like to stretch your legs on some nice twisties, take the road from Chiplun to Guhagar
Point noted. Lets see. I have to start from Mumbai. I might just opt this route just to give the boring expressway a miss!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th June 2012 at 20:13.
Old 25th June 2012, 22:03   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Oh that's be easily taken care off! The starting point is Mumbai. For very obvious reasons

Jokes apart, did you try NH17 last time you had planned the trip to Goa? Am trying to decide if Mumbai - Goa should be attempted on NH17 or NH4.
Don't even try NH 17 especially when you are driving 6000 kms .. NH4 is clean fast and wide . Take the turn at Nipani ( if you are going to Goa ) through SH and you will have quite a few KMs of twisties to whet your appetite. Condition of NH17 is far worse than NH 4 and is expected to worsen during the monsoons. Remember the tyre burst that I had? It was on NH17 and it had to be due to NH17 road conditions ( soft or hard tyre wall of Yokos notwithstanding )

Last edited by souravc : 25th June 2012 at 22:05.
Old 26th June 2012, 08:30   #393
BHPian

Quote:
So how does this look? Well, let me rephrase that
  • Route decided - re-checked!
Attachment 946637

Guess I better get ready to spend time on another TL
This looks like a great trip! Looking forward to meet you here in Bangy! (Let me know how that works out for you)
Old 26th June 2012, 09:07   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Good luck for your trip Ninja! Since the monsoons are already here, suggest you do a quick monsoon check and make sure wipers, washers (they tend to fail), AC vents, etc. are a-OK and all fluids etc. topped up before you take off.

Quote:
Jokes apart, did you try NH17 last time you had planned the trip to Goa? Am trying to decide if Mumbai - Goa should be attempted on NH17 or NH4.
I usually do the "boring" route, NH4 till Sankeshwar or Belgaum and then state highways to Goa via Amboli Ghat. Manson did NH17 recently and the drive is apparently much more involving. Just be careful and you should be fine.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 09:21   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
This looks like a great trip! Looking forward to meet you here in Bangy! (Let me know how that works out for you)
Yes sir. Do PM me your address details. I'll be put up at Hoskote (couldn't have picked a better place, could I!) at a friend's place. As of the exact date of meeting, the plan is still volatile - will buzz you over that weekend itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Good luck for your trip Ninja! Since the monsoons are already here, suggest you do a quick monsoon check and make sure wipers, washers (they tend to fail), AC vents, etc. are a-OK and all fluids etc. topped up before you take off.
Yes sir! Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Don't even try NH 17 especially when you are driving 6000 kms .. NH4 is clean fast and wide . Take the turn at Nipani ( if you are going to Goa ) through SH and you will have quite a few KMs of twisties to whet your appetite. Condition of NH17 is far worse than NH 4 and is expected to worsen during the monsoons. Remember the tyre burst that I had? It was on NH17 and it had to be due to NH17 road conditions ( soft or hard tyre wall of Yokos notwithstanding )
Quote:
I usually do the "boring" route, NH4 till Sankeshwar or Belgaum and then state highways to Goa via Amboli Ghat. Manson did NH17 recently and the drive is apparently much more involving. Just be careful and you should be fine.
Now it's becoming the forbidden fruit situation! All you guys pushing NH4 over NH17 is making me think about the latter! Guess I'll check with @manson once on this.

Edit: Finally someone mentions Sankeshwar. I dunno why the Nipani route has gained more traction - always been taking the detour (to Sawantwadi) from Sankeshwar over the past 5 years!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th June 2012 at 09:25.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:00   #396
Senior - BHPian

I would vote for the NH17 again, if nothing else just for the Kashedi ghat. In any case as you are leaving from Bombay, you dont have to deal with Tamhini roads either.
But then I am a fellow bored of NH4 so have a biased opinion. Wherever you travel, we need lots of pics and road route updates.

Quote:
First time? Naa!
Let me count -
  • Via NH4 on car - once
  • Via NH4 on bike - once
  • Via NH17 on car - once
  • Via train - X times
and so on
On car! interesting

How do you get so many holidays. I should check if we really work in the same organisation!
Old 26th June 2012, 13:15   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I would vote for the NH17 again, if nothing else just for the Kashedi ghat. In any case as you are leaving from Bombay, you dont have to deal with Tamhini roads either.
But then I am a fellow bored of NH4 so have a biased opinion. Wherever you travel, we need lots of pics and road route updates.
As I said, I'll probably take this call by the last day only. Only +ve point for NH4 - I save time. Considerably a lot of it.

Quote:
On car! interesting
lol - that's the record for the past 5 years. Goa is kind of a annual ritual for me. Have been there in all the seasons. But still to explore the south goa side properly.

Quote:
How do you get so many holidays. I should check if we really work in the same organisation!
Three words - Work From Home.

I'll be working from Chennai during the week. And an understanding boss. Although let me put the disclaimer - I really haven't taken that many holidays over the year. Last long trip with holidays was the F1 trip 8 months back!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 15:30   #398
BHPian

@Ninjatalli - All the best for your trip.. and eagerly waiting for your travelogue and some nice snaps.
Old 4th July 2012, 08:32   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

As a few of you might have known, I had planned to wash my car today morning. All part of the plan, you see.

But it rained. And yet I still went out to wash the car. Yes, while it was still raining. A few of the neighbors did give me weird looks while I was humming away. But of course, most of them had already figured me for a weirdo. Probably just shouted out "I told you so!" to their better halves and got back to their daily stuff.

Three days to go. Yay!
Old 4th July 2012, 09:41   #400
BHPian

Quote:
As a few of you might have known, I had planned to wash my car today morning. All part of the plan, you see.

But it rained. And yet I still went out to wash the car. Yes, while it was still raining. A few of the neighbors did give me weird looks while I was humming away. But of course, most of them had already figured me for a weirdo. Probably just shouted out "I told you so!" to their better halves and got back to their daily stuff.

Three days to go. Yay!
Your love and passion for Vento is really something to admire

Would really like to know some details about car wash in rain like method (bucket or pipeline), interiors cleaning?, etc.
Old 4th July 2012, 13:11   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta View Post
@Ninjatalli - All the best for your trip.. and eagerly waiting for your travelogue and some nice snaps.
Thanks. Even i'm waiting - having a tough time getting this week by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Your love and passion for Vento is really something to admire

Would really like to know some details about car wash in rain like method (bucket or pipeline), interiors cleaning?, etc.
Thank you @nicky.

But if you are refering to my cleaning habits, then I'm a far shot from the best out here. As for today, it was just a simple wash with a micro-fibre cloth and mild-warm water to remove the mud/dirt that eventually gets imprinted on the car during rains. Let me re-route your query to better folks for this - Rohaan and Nilesh

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th July 2012 at 13:12.
Old 4th July 2012, 16:01   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Three days to go. Yay!
Have a safe drive.

Since rains are at full blast at Palm Beach, Navi Mumbai, so South India would be having much more rains. Keep a few things checked as for the rains
  • Good amount of tyre tread remaining.
  • Good brake pads, as for long journey & 250NM torque you would be having a blast.
  • Wipers checked for rains.
  • All lights inside out working fine.
  • Before departure have tyre pressure checked and have nitrogen filled up.
  • A spare 1L bottle of engine oil with you.
  • VW Wiper wash fluid concentrate, as you would be requiring it much more in rains.
Looking forward to beautiful scenery pictures with a travelogue.

Quote:
Probably just shouted out "I told you so!" to their better halves and got back to their daily stuff.
I get those looks each time I wash my car once a week, but these days after applying BlackFire paint sealant on the car, it has just transformed.
Old 10th July 2012, 08:35   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Mid-way update from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Quote:
And they said, we keep our cars clean

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_4640001.jpg

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_4639001.jpg
The car's really dirty - far more than what it looks in the pics!

@nilesh, I'm pretty sure your car's going to be decked up - wondering if I should keep mine as it is. Might come up with a nice set of pics - maybe we could title it - How a blue Vento should look and then how it shouldn't or something.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th July 2012 at 08:36.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:23   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
Mid-way update from Bangalore

And they said, we keep our cars clean

The car's really dirty - far more than what it looks in the pics!

@nilesh, I'm pretty sure your car's going to be decked up - wondering if I should keep mine as it is. Might come up with a nice set of pics - maybe we could title it - How a blue Vento should look and then how it shouldn't or something.
Ninja for how long you are in Bangalore? I would like to meet you and Nilesh.
Old 10th July 2012, 12:10   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Yes let's do that! Keep the car the way it is. Feels like a well-travelled highway cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Ninja for how long you are in Bangalore? I would like to meet you and Nilesh.
Sure, Prabhu. We can meet up. Will call you.

Most Viewed