Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 11:00   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 25,000 Km Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
I've already done 40,000 km. So my question still persists.
Bugger off, will ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
so with sidewall punctures, do you intend to change the tyre?
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
9 punctures . You will shoot the life of your tire driving like that aside from the risk of getting into an accident if the tire bursts. Never do that again I guess.
Thanks for the warning guys. Will keep an eye on this - unfortunately there is no "testing" period. Lets see how it goes.

Quote:
The Apollos on mine have handled well even though they are noisy. I will only replace them when they reach end of life so all tire research done by Ventoheads here is turning out to be very useful.
Ditto here. I don't even have a problem on the noise aspect!

And when you say research by "Ventoheads", I equate it to Sourav! Tire-yoda, one would say?

Quote:
Taxi driver. Highway dhaba food reviewer. Toll booth inspector. Highway patrol. take your pick.
I like the one(s) in bold, both of them. Now I wonder what next!

Quote:
trivia is used for quiz nights. you can choose:
- Pune - Nashik (NH50) - Saputara hill station - Bharuch - Vadodara -Ahmedabad, or
- Pune - Nashik (NH50) - Dhule - Shahada - Vadodara - Ahmedabad
Checked those routes. Not feasible (on other aspects - will explain when we meet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Congratulations on the 25k mark!! You having travelled down south recently, are still itching for another trip. Imagine my condition not having touched the car in the last one and a half month!!
lol - but now atleast do a thread on that continent, will ya? Trivia Q - what is the cheapest (and feasible) alternative for a holiday that side? I always wanted to go that side! And thanks for the wishes.

Quote:
Exactly! I am already almost bored of the Blr-Mum GQ. Now that I am back from my South American sojourn, I am planning to do a long drive soon to Bhusawal and back.
Nice! Interesting area to touch - haven't seen anyone mentioning trips to that section of the country.

Quote:
First of all belated congratulations for turning Senior BHPIan . Long term I think would imply a time period rather than no. of kilometers. I guess it should be at least 4/5 years of ownership of a car which is the period after which the car's true characters are revealed, just like marriage.
Thanks. And what a pity that condition has to be time-bound. Aw, shucks! Btw there are several threads in that section for cars that have done 20k/30k kms only! But yes, most of them are atleast 2+ years.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:19   #437
Senior - BHPian

re: My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!

My question remains - what do you feed your manager, that he grants you so many leaves!?!

9 punctures is surely not a good sign. Get the tyre changed. Go for better tyres this time. Now that Mikon is also considering a change of wheels, both of you can get it done together.
Old 7th September 2012, 11:22   #438
BHPian

Re: 25,000 Km Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
lol - but now atleast do a thread on that continent, will ya? Trivia Q - what is the cheapest (and feasible) alternative for a holiday that side? I always wanted to go that side! And thanks for the wishes.
Yes South America has been one of my dream destinations too. Writing about the trip sounds like a good idea. Let me take some time to push myself to write . Well, holidays are not cheap by any means. The biggest cost is the air travel. The office spent about 3 lacs on my ticket alone. As for the stay, there are backpacker accomodations so that is not a big concern. More about it later!

Quote:
Nice! Interesting area to touch - haven't seen anyone mentioning trips to that section of the country.
Nothing special there, apart from the beautiful Satpura mountains, the Tapi river and a couple of dam catchment areas. I have relatives there so planning a road trip instead of the usual means to reach there.

Last edited by nileshch : 7th September 2012 at 11:30.
Old 7th September 2012, 12:20   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar
My question remains - what do you feed your manager, that he grants you so many leaves!?!
A very good understanding boss. Btw I don't have holidays left now, just wish-lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch

Yes South America has been one of my dream destinations too. Writing about the trip sounds like a good idea. Let me take some time to push myself to write . Well, holidays are not cheap by any means. The biggest cost is the air travel. The office spent about 3 lacs on my ticket alone. As for the stay, there are backpacker accomodations so that is not a big concern. More about it later!
Yup I did check the flight options, quite a bit. Well, someday I'll get there. :-)
Old 7th September 2012, 13:44   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
9 punctures is surely not a good sign. Get the tyre changed. Go for better tyres this time. Now that Mikon is also considering a change of wheels, both of you can get it done together.
Please add me to that list. 11 punctures on one tyre. after everything was fixed, I bring the Jazz back home. Next morning, the same tyre is flat. I havent bothered with it during the week. Will need to do something this weekend. Its only run 5k kms :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
The biggest cost is the air travel. The office spent about 3 lacs on my ticket alone. As for the stay, there are backpacker accomodations so that is not a big concern. More about it later!
Now, what do you feed your manager?
Old 7th September 2012, 17:55   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Now, what do you feed your manager?
A constant diet of business is what the boss needs! He would be happy to send me back if the customer wants more from us!
Old 7th September 2012, 23:48   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch

A constant diet of business is what the boss needs! He would be happy to send me back if the customer wants more from us!
And I wonder what kind of business is that enables a 3lakh worthy ticket :-)

But then we digress from this thread and more into personal matters. Meanwhile I will await your thread eagerly.
Old 8th September 2012, 03:51   #443
BHPian

Ninja, not to scare you but the same thing happened with my tyre - too many occurrences of punctures specially on the sidwalls and within a month the tyre got burst on the highway.
The sidewalls become super weak and then this can lead to a burst.
AA do not last more than 25K if too many punctures are there. If you dont want to get a new set of tyres the only option is put that tyre back in the boot and start using the stepany.

Below is the picture of my tyre which got burst on the expressway.
Also, check that the tyre tore from the sidewalls. Now when I rasied this issue with Apollo India those guys rejected my claim , buy saying that I was driving with no air in the tyre to which I denied but now looking at your scenario I feel that it might have happened that air reduced to almost zero level and then tyre tore apart.

If Swanand reads this then he might re collect the chat I had with him when this tyre issue came up, I told him what the Apollo guys told me.
Attached Thumbnails
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-photo.jpg  

Last edited by scofield : 8th September 2012 at 04:11.
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 12:09   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Ninja, not to scare you but the same thing happened with my tyre - too many occurrences of punctures specially on the sidwalls and within a month the tyre got burst on the highway.
AA do not last more than 25K if too many punctures are there. If you dont want to get a new set of tyres the only option is put that tyre back in the boot and start using the stepany.

Below is the picture of my tyre which got burst on the expressway.
Also, check that the tyre tore from the sidewalls. Now when I rasied this issue with Apollo India those guys rejected my claim , buy saying that I was driving with no air in the tyre to which I denied but now looking at your scenario I feel that it might have happened that air reduced to almost zero level and then tyre tore apart.

If Swanand reads this then he might re collect the chat I had with him when this tyre issue came up, I told him what the Apollo guys told me.
Buddy, The tyre is ripped apart. I used to believe that acceler's are good, Even used to recommend them to others and was about to fit them in car, but then changed to XM1+.

Can you please share the details, how it happened ? I hope there was no damage to the car, or passengers.

How old was your tyre and properly inflated ?

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 8th September 2012, 16:54   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
9 punctures . You will shoot the life of your tire driving like that aside from the risk of getting into an accident if the tire bursts. Never do that again I guess.
Quote:
so with sidewall punctures, do you intend to change the tyre?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
9 punctures is surely not a good sign. Get the tyre changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Ah the ol' familiar situation of I told you so re-appears

Guys,
How correct you were. As I left from Pune for Bombay, just before I entered the expressway, checked the pressure, again it was down to 20! So 9 punctures weren't the complete lot I guess.

So for now the tire goes into the boot, while the stepany comes out. Called up @mikon, informed him to keep me included when he finalizes the deal.

Q for the day - I wanted to shift to 195/60 - guess I can't do that with changing only 1 tire currently. Need to think out the options on this - either run the 3+stepany for a few more kms, or replace all 5 of them along with @mikon.
Old 16th September 2012, 00:44   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Q for the day - I wanted to shift to 195/60 - guess I can't do that with changing only 1 tire currently. Need to think out the options on this - either run the 3+stepany for a few more kms, or replace all 5 of them along with @mikon.
Awaiting update from your end on your tyres
Old 16th September 2012, 17:43   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Awaiting update from your end on your tyres
Thanks for asking. Unfortunately there are no updates yet. Visited a known dealer, turns out he could offer me only Apollos, Goodyear and Yokohama (he wasn't even discussing the other brands). Told him about your experience with Yokos, he kinda agreed and gave quotes on the other two brands.

The work scenario is not allowing me to use the car that much so as of now the spare tire's doing the rounds. Will probably deflect this decision for another week or till the end of the month probably.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 16th September 2012 at 17:47.
Old 15th October 2012, 19:27   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Roach Issue!

So how does solve a cockroach (just one, not a family ) problem, I wonder! The lone ranger seems to have camped somewhere in my car, and keeps popping up once in a week or so!

This thread is of not any use, do note. Unless of course one wants to have a few laughs (at my expense)!

Meanwhile I slowly, trudge along from 25k to 26k kms, the last 1000kms taking a month to pass, most of them being spent on the road between my office and my home.

Ho hum, busy days indeed. What a boring life, I say.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 19:46   #449
Senior - BHPian

Re: Roach Issue!

Quote:
So how does solve a cockroach (just one, not a family ) problem, I wonder! The lone ranger seems to have camped somewhere in my car, and keeps popping up once in a week or so!
For starters, try to avoid parking next to drains!
Come over tomorrow for a mini meet, we will have a list of possibilities (some of them surprisingly useful) ready.
Old 15th October 2012, 20:51   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Roach Issue!

Quote:
For starters, try to avoid parking next to drains!
Well, to be honest, I have gone fond of the lil fellow. He always gives me company on the traffic filled route to office. It's only the thought of him starting to do family planning that is worrying me!

Quote:
Come over tomorrow for a mini meet, we will have a list of possibilities (some of them surprisingly useful) ready.
It doesn't take a lot of reasons to have these meets nowdays eh! Sure lets meet up for lunch.

Most Viewed