Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 18:25   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: 29,000 km update!

Where are your part 2 & 3 of trivia? Its already been 2 weeks. Waiting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Called up the workshop over one of the weekends to fix up a time to get the tail lamp fixed, they advice me to get it done during the service only - else I might have to keep my car over for the night for a job which should not take more than an hour. So second servicing it is.
Any waiting period quoted given there are few workshop & truck loads of VW Polo/Vento for servicing?

Quote:
(Note to myself: Check with @el lobo 61 if he would be ready to do my car for say, a "free" )
Drop by any time after 27 Dec'12. If time persists will take you to a fellow bhpian and you did be blown away by his level of professional detailing. 3M is a very good option to keep the Shadow Blue in its pristine condition, but costs are astronomical.

Quote:
Attachment 1028828
A wip polishing snapshot of the car - the design does look funky! Food for thought!
Is this pic with 195 60 tires. Please say NO.

The design surely looks good. You wouldn't want polish to dry for long.

Quote:
1000 kms left with two pending Mumbai - Pune trips; damn it is going to be tricky getting the car to the workshop under 30,000!
You keep hinting but never drop by huh! Nakka bandhi at Palm Beach.
Old 19th December 2012, 20:27   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
lol - been busy so that got left out. Will put it up over the weekend.

Quote:
Any waiting period quoted given there are few workshop & truck loads of VW Polo/Vento for servicing?
Did I forget to mention I booked one month in advance? With most VW owners getting to know that BUBhandari service is far better than the other one; people are getting their cars serviced out here only.

Quote:
Drop by any time after 27 Dec'12. If time persists will take you to a fellow bhpian and you did be blown away by his level of professional detailing. 3M is a very good option to keep the Shadow Blue in its pristine condition, but costs are astronomical.
Thanks! I'll take up that offer, but later in January. Let me get the car serviced first - then detailing after that

Quote:
Is this pic with 195 60 tires. Please say NO.
Yes it is. Why?

Quote:
You keep hinting but never drop by huh! Nakka bandhi at Palm Beach.
I pass by your area (Palm Beach road) almost once a month - the problem is I always carpool with other colleagues - I don't feel it would be ideal to make them wait while I meet up with friends on the way.
Old 20th December 2012, 00:24   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lol - been busy so that got left out. Will put it up over the weekend
Hoping, it comes by else you did get busy with new years party by then.

Quote:
Did I forget to mention I booked one month in advance? With most VW owners getting to know that BUBhandari service is far better than the other one; people are getting their cars serviced out here only.
Woah, one month! VW will surely sets the record for first company to have waiting for service as well. I'm sure it's ringing cash registers at their workshops running at full blast. Imagining what would be waiting period at KSM Motors, Nerul which is the sole workshop for whole of Navi Mumbai.

Quote:
Yes it is. Why?
Just my view. The sidewall is looking too thick and rim is looking puny. I actually like thinner side walls.

Quote:
I don't feel it would be ideal to make them wait while I meet up with friends on the way.
Agree. Hoping the colleagues become bhpians soon, so then we could meet up with a motto.
Old 22nd December 2012, 17:27   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

Tire Feedback, Recent Trips and other trivia! - Part 2 (The Wedding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Here you go buddy!

So the situation was like this: It was over 36 hours since I had slept on a bed, I hadn't anything to eat over the past 12 hours, and I had spent the last 10+ hours on the road. Kind of reduces the options to a few one would say, right?

Not when you are in a beautiful city like Badami. The city is more of a small town, if not a village. But it does come with a lot of historical significance.

Quote:
Badami was the capital of the Early Chalukyas, who ruled much of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh between the 6th and 8th centuries. It was founded in 540 AD by Pulakesi I(535-566 AD), an early ruler of the Chalukyas. His sons Kirthivarman (567-598 AD) and his brother Mangalesha I (598-610 AD) constructed the cave temples.

The rock-cut Badami Cave Temples were sculpted mostly between the 6th and 8th centuries. The four cave temples represent the secular nature of the rulers then, with tolerance and a religious following that inclines towards Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. cave 1 is devoted to Shiva, and Caves 2 and 3 are dedicated to Vishnu, whereas cave 4 displays reliefs of Jain Tirthankaras. Deep caverns with carved images of the various incarnations of Hindu gods are strewn across the area, under boulders and in the red sandstone. From an architectural and archaeological perspective, they provide critical evidence of the early styles and stages of the southern Indian architecture.
The caves of Badami are gorgeous, and thankfully under the management of ASI. It is a different aspect that I, like the idiot I am, decided to ignore these caves, for office work Attaching a few pictures from another thread, weirdly the OP hasn't focused on this town, instead focusing mainly on Goa which is the destination of his trip.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic1.jpg
Source: This thread

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic2.jpg

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic3.jpg

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic4.jpg

A call to my host (the groom - please note @samarjithdar) to inform him of my arrival proves to be my undoing as he ignores my blabbering and asks me to do a u-turn and head with him to the Mahakuta group of temples immediately. Ignoring my protests, he adds on that he has something to showcase that I would not like to miss in a hundred years!

A bit amused and my curiosity fully aroused, I follow him and reach the temple (Google Maps link).

Quote:
The Mahakuta group of temples is located in Mahakuta, a town in the Bagalkot district of Karnataka state, India. It is an important place of worship for Hindus and the location of a well-known Shaiva monastery. The temples are dated to the 6th or 7th century and were constructed by the early kings of the Chalukya dynasty of Badami.

The Karnataka artisans of the 7th century achieved a certain eclectism in their architecture by building south Indian dravida style temples adjacent to north Indian nagara style temples. A natural mountain spring flows within the temple complex and feeds fresh water into a large tank called the Vishnu Pushkarni ("Lotus pool of god Vishnu") and an ablution tank called Papavinasha Tirtha ("Tank of Ablution").
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic5.jpg
Outer complex of the temple

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic6.0.jpg
The entrance and the main temple, note the slow buildup of junta for the wedding-to-happen

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic6.1.jpg
The well kept walls with the intricate drawings and sculptures

Now I am no fan of archaeology or temples of any kind. My friend knows this yet he has pushed me to come over here. From the outside it looks like pretty much any normal temple in the south. But then my friend shows me the tank in the center.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic7.jpg
Crystal clear water that literally makes you spend the entire day over there

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic8.jpg
What I wouldn't have given to have a glass of you-know-what in one hand lie in this tank for the entire day!

It is b-e-a-u-tiful. The water is crystal clear and clean, which is quite surprising considering at any point of the time, someone is taking a bath here.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic9.jpg

I then get the explanation - a natural spring from the base supplies fresh water throughout the year. The pool has a gated outflow point at a certain height that can be regulated and the excess water flows out into the corridor.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic10.jpg
The gate that regulates the excess water

Even the excess water is made proper use of, either for washing clothes and utensils, as well as taking bath with soap. Do note, no-one uses soap inside the tank. It is an amazingly simple setup, hygienic (to an extent) and sustaining.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic11.jpg
A inmate making use of the out-flowing water to wash a few clothes

I step into the water, it is warm and nice. Unfortunately I do not take a bath, a point I rue today. Meanwhile a bunch of kids show me how to make proper use of the tank.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic14.jpg
Kids being kids - the SLR takes precedence, a show has to be put up for display

Meanwhile in another corner of the temple, the wedding is going on while I'm still lost in the tank. I see stairs in one corner of the complex leading to the terrace and I take up position to get a few pictures of the activity.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic6.2.jpg
The majestic banyan tree that overshadows the temple complex

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic12.jpg
A top view of the marriage happening below

The marriage activities go on slowly; I am absolutely bored of it. So much that I start taking arbit pictures of the trees and the in-numerable monkeys thronging the complex.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-pic13.jpg
A bored photographer does what he can to pass the time! lol

Finally it gets over and the second best thing of the day happens - breakfast is served!!! Needless to say, I'm one of the first in the line and get busy immediately.

Note: Info on Badami & Mahakuta group of temples taken from wikipedia (link & link)
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 23:17   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

2nd Servicing Update (30,000 kms)

Odometer Status: 29,709 kms

Service Advisor: Manish Singh

Issues Raised:
  • RHS Tail Lamp Change
  • Rear Parcel Tray Noise
  • Door Squeaks (All door beadings)
  • Brake pads check
  • Handrest lock change (broken)
  • Sluggish engine
  • seat campaign (VW based campaign for all cars)
  • And of course, the 2nd service

Hit to the purse: 16,257 INR

Well, I knew this was going to get costly - after all, the tail lamp change itself was going to cost me a good fortune. The break-up is as follows

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-total-cost.jpg

I was told in advance that there would be a delay of one day (next day car delivery) due to the seat campaign. I had requested Manish Singh as my service advisor and he was the perfect man for the job. He gave me an update about the handrest lock part's availability & cost (around 3k), which I duly declined.

He also updated me that the pads were well required to be changed and the cost would be 3.3k (2400+500). I argued with him quoting @mikon's brake pad change cost a few months back that took came up to 2.4k. I decided to settle it later in the evening, and asked him to go ahead.

A few days back when I had checked if I could shift the service date to a weekend, I was told it was next to impossible, as they had 23 cars for servicing on that Saturday. Even on weekdays, their hands were more than full. Well they weren't kidding. This was the state at 5.30 p.m.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_20130104_182712.jpg

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_20130104_182731.jpg

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_20130104_182816.jpg
Ah, there she is!

And then the bill was presented to me, Manish wasn't kidding. The brake pad change did cost me 3.3k, and combined with the tail lamp change, the total almost doubles up the cost of a normal servicing.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-my-car-bill.jpg
The complete bill

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-my-car-bill-2.jpg
The seat campaign bill, covered under warranty

And neither wasn't I. Armed with @mikon's ownership thread, I show him the post where he had put up the cost breakup of his break change. Manish's eyes light up. He checks up @mikon's (car) records, and retrieves the bill, proving my point valid. Immediately taking a printout he asks me to accompany him to the accessories room.

We show both the bills and ask for an explanation. And I do get one. Apparently there are two sets of brake pads for the Vento, with different part numbers and different structure too (one comes with a clip, mine doesn't) They stock both the set of pads and I am shown the MRP.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-brake-pad.jpg

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_20130104_181453.jpg
The one on the left (part no 6RU698151) goes on my car, while the right one fits @mikon's car

The ones that go on my car are costlier. On further probing, they inform me there is no clear indication if the newer lot of cars come with the costlier brake pads, but basically the pads aren't inter-changeable. So everytime @mikon and I need to change the pads, he saves a cool 1000 bucks!

I pay the bills, give feedback (5 stars) and head back home, poorer by 16k, but still a happy man.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 15:33   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!

Just checked the boot today, there's a crate filled with the used air filter, brake pads and a few other stuff. I understand it is to give the trust factor that they have changed the parts, but I wonder what they expect the car owners to do with that!

OT: 500th post on this thread. Yay!
Old 7th January 2013, 17:08   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked the boot today, there's a crate filled with the used air filter, brake pads and a few other stuff. I understand it is to give the trust factor that they have changed the parts, but I wonder what they expect the car owners to do with that!

OT: 500th post on this thread. Yay!
Hi Ninja. Could you please direct me to the thread where the seat campaign for VW cars are detailed? I could not find it.
Old 7th January 2013, 20:37   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Hi Ninja. Could you please direct me to the thread where the seat campaign for VW cars are detailed? I could not find it.
FYI the original post with details.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 20:57   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Q.
Drive at 80 in city traffic - you feel like god.
Drive at 80 on a express highway - you feel like a idiot. That's relativity for you
just hilarious ! I am teaching relativity now and plan to lift your two-liner shamelessly
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 15:17   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Trips, trips and more trips!

Ho hum.

Long time since I put up a post out here. But then it is an ownership thread for the car; not a personal blog on what I am up to, is it?

The car is doing fine - puttering around from 30,000 to 30,100; and then a few weeks later to 30,200; and then just recently to 30,250. Drop in a weekend trip to Bombay, and then you'll see a jump of 300 kms. So, somewhere around 30,500 hovers the needle I presume.

Yay! So exciting, I say.

But what else would you expect when the only route the car does is the home - office - home. Heck, my diesel bills have never been this low! So boring!

Ah, but that's the car's story. Not mine.

January turned out quite nice. A trip to Bangalore 2 weeks back. A drive and back to Chennai there. A trip to Hyderabad last weekend; another drive back over there. Good fun. Of course, having the Vento on these trips would have been awe-some, but had to do with a Swift and a Figo respectively. Honestly the (petrol) Figo sucked , especially on the acceleration part.

Didn't carry the SLR on these trips, so only a few pictures. Too lazy to put up a TL, so you'll have to do with these.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_6271.jpg
On a dusty morning just outside Bangalore

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_6274.jpg
Our first halt - breakfast!

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_6276.jpg
The filter coffee sucked bigtime, but the idlis did the job

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_6284.jpg
The wide Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Chennai highway; when there aren't any diversions

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_6285.jpg
My over-enthusiastic friend bought this for the 350km drive to Chennai - I had a good laugh over this

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_6286.jpg
We decided to experiment on the return trip and cross on from NH4 to OMR through the towns

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_6287.jpg
We encountered a lot of beautiful bridges like these

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_6288.jpg
And lovely 2-lane roads lined with trees

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_6293.jpg
While passing through mango groves that were still a few months away from bearing any fruits

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_6295.jpg
Part of the routes were so beautiful you just had to stop!

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-10k.jpg
And yes we crossed a few "landmarks" too - the one year old Figo finally moved on to a 5 digit figure
Old 28th January 2013, 19:42   #506
BHPian

I thought you updated on vento initially and was semi-disappointed to hear on figo, but the the idly-vada combo settled me down
Old 30th January 2013, 00:01   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
I thought you updated on vento initially and was semi-disappointed to hear on figo, but the the idly-vada combo settled me down
Ah, I wish I could give an update for the Vento. But then I would only be able to speak on how in-frequently I have been filling air in the tires, and the occasional fuel filling occasion, and how daily driving moments get limited to moving from one traffic signal to another, and experimenting in different parking locations at the office, etc etc
Old 30th January 2013, 07:56   #508
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But then I would only be able to speak on how in-frequently I have been filling air in the tires,
Nitrogen would anyway lead to this ! Not changed to it yet? If not do give it a try.
Old 30th January 2013, 10:05   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nitrogen would anyway lead to this ! Not changed to it yet? If not do give it a try.
I have been advised quite a few times on this, but no I haven't. But point noted - will give it a trial soon! Thanks!
Old 26th April 2013, 07:43   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

35,000 km update!

Updates, updates updates! So many trips and so few updates! Bahut na-in-safi!

If I was married to the Vento and the only condition of the marriage would be I do all my trips with this car, with detailed travelogues, then I'd be heading for the divorce for sure!

A list of the trips in the last few months
  • Hyderabad - Pune
    - Day trip
    - Petrol Figo
    - NH9
    - 560 kms
  • Mumbai - Goa - Mumbai
    - Day trip
    - Vento
    - NH17 & NH4 (return)
    - 1164 kms
  • Pune - Hyderabad
    - Night trip
    - Petrol Brio
    - NH9
    - 560 kms
  • Pune - Mumbai - Indore (Planned for today! Yay!)
    - Night trip
    - Vento
    - NH3/AH47
    - 742 kms
  • Indore - Mumbai - Pune (Planned for Sunday! Yay!)
    - Day trip
    - Vento
    - NH3/AH47
    - 742 kms

Now the downside. All these and past trips, the Vento (or the other cars) hardly had any problems. Not even a puncture! But one casual drive on Mumbai city roads over a weekend, and voila! Instant damage.

So the lady had her first proper accident. On the JVLR. Some idiot decides to stop at the last minute to do a U-turn. The SUV following him naturally reacts to Newton's third law and "bumps" into his rear. The taxi following him doesn't want to be let out of the action and get joined to the SUV's rear. And how can I say no to all this bumping brotherhood-ly love? So I too (inspite of all the last-second braking) join the club.

Result - two dents on the bonnet, a broken number plate and a wide hole in the bumper. Oh did I mention the Verito's rear bumper was completely destroyed. Ah well, that happens.

Reversed, checked the hood for any leakages or internal damages. No issues. Even the dust layer inside hadn't shifted. Parked ahead at a corner, waited for a while to see if there was any potential damage, and dripping leaks, etc. None. Ah well, there goes my NCB.

Most Viewed