Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 17:15   #196
BHPian

re: My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I can assure you that the drive plan is because of all you guys showing off , I would have done it even with the worn out Apollos .
Haha!

Quote:
NH4 scenery is bit boring like your GQ
NH4 gets very interesting once you enter Karnataka. Superb vistas that make you stop and enjoy!
Old 8th November 2011, 17:54   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Ninja, what have you done about the dent? Have you gotten rid of it? And if so, how?
My Laura has developed a similar scratch, though not that large. Its just a fine line, but you know how they hurt!

Sourav: You've changed the tyres already? Sorry, seemed to have missed that. What did you go in for?
Speaking of scratches , my rear left light got cracked while backing by the workshop guy who was polishing my car . So the body count gets added to the scratch on the roof courtesy a parking gate dropped on my vento. The seemingly latest fad in Mumbai is for bikers to tap music on the body of your car while waiting at the traffic lights - nightmarish !

Swanand , I changed to Yokos C Drives 195/ 60 . I can now understand the difference between an okay tyre and a good tyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Haha!

NH4 gets very interesting once you enter Karnataka. Superb vistas that make you stop and enjoy!
I have decided on a compromise , NH 17 would be onwards journey ( zip past before the road repair work starts ) and NH 4 while coming back .
You guys watchout for the travelogues and I will show off my silver streak - so what if I do not suffer from the blues ;-)
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 18:15   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Ninja, what have you done about the dent? Have you gotten rid of it? And if so, how?
My Laura has developed a similar scratch, though not that large. Its just a fine line, but you know how they hurt!
Swanand,
I went for an insurance claim - it is getting repaired - went to check up today on the way back from office - the dent has been removed completely, and now the car is awaiting a paint cover-up. Probably I could have got it rectified outside for a lot cheaper, but the dent was really deep, hence took this decision.

I was happy to see the way they have done the work - the entire door & the rear section (above the tire) is getting painted, not just the area where the scratches are. Might be the norm everywhere, but I wasn't aware of this.

Quote:
Speaking of scratches , my rear left light got cracked while backing by the workshop guy who was polishing my car . So the body count gets added to the scratch on the roof courtesy a parking gate dropped on my vento. The seemingly latest fad in Mumbai is for bikers to tap music on the body of your car while waiting at the traffic lights - nightmarish !
Horrible! I assume they'll replace that part.

Btw what exactly is a parking gate? The name itself brings to mind a huge iron structure, but I doubt that's the case

Quote:
I have decided on a compromise , NH 17 would be onwards journey ( zip past before the road repair work starts ) and NH 4 while coming back .
You guys watchout for the travelogues and I will show off my silver streak - so what if I do not suffer from the blues ;-)
Nice! We'll await the return of the silver surfer (Fantastic four anyone?) (pun intended) (I seem to be on a roll today )

P.s. The VW Bhandari workshop has a lot of Skoda cars too - when I inquired on the same, the security gaurd said now they do both VW & Skoda cars - anybody know anything on this?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 8th November 2011 at 18:17.
Old 8th November 2011, 19:10   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Swanand,
I went for an insurance claim - it is getting repaired - went to check up today on the way back from office - the dent has been removed completely, and now the car is awaiting a paint cover-up. Probably I could have got it rectified outside for a lot cheaper, but the dent was really deep, hence took this decision.

I was happy to see the way they have done the work - the entire door & the rear section (above the tire) is getting painted, not just the area where the scratches are. Might be the norm everywhere, but I wasn't aware of this.
Its good that you are getting it done at the company's workshop , they get you the perfect shade of colour else there is a chance of mismatch.

Quote:

Btw what exactly is a parking gate? The name itself brings to mind a huge iron structure, but I doubt that's the case
yes its an iron structure , pic attached for your reference . The malfunctioning culprit still survives at the Atria Mall
Attached Thumbnails
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-boom.jpg  

Old 11th November 2011, 13:58   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

How does a kid feel when his most loved broken toy gets mended?

That's my situation now, grinning like an idiot from ear to ear.

Total costs and breakup to be put up later.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th November 2011 at 13:59.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 16:33   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How does a kid feel when his most loved broken toy gets mended?

That's my situation now, grinning like an idiot from ear to ear.

Total costs and breakup to be put up later.
Finally got the delivery of my car today. The dent's completely vanished and the car looks in perfect shape. In addition to the dent repairs & painting, they also did a general checkup of my car.

Surprisingly the oil level is well above the minimum level. I queried them on this, stating most other Ventos (Tdi) have required oil top-ups between 5k-7k kms, but then we checked the car, and confirmed the oil level.

Attaching the Expense Sheet
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-accident-claim-expenses-breakup.jpg

Out of the above costs, my share was Rs 1200; I did not go into exact details on what was the breakup of that; as I was already told in advance that my share would be atleast minimum 1k.

Also both the right side back door & the back portion over the rear (right) tire were painted - the paint bill, which accounts for the majority of the total bill is for both sections included.

The entire process was extremely effortless and no hassles at all. Full points to VW B.U.Bhandari workshop in handling my case. I have been in constant touch with the accident division head over the last week, everytime I have called him, he has given me an accurate feedback.

Another good aspect is they are extremely open about their work - you can walk-in anytime (while your car's being serviced/repaired) and see the work being done, have a chat with the concerned engineer/manager and get full clarity on delivery/pending work/etc.

Edit : A small niggling doubt - the Out Kms states 5837, but the same on the car is 5866. Wonder where did they take the car for 30kms? Felt it was too small a matter and didn't raise it.
Edit 2 : Any idea what is "g.f.f"?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th November 2011 at 16:45.
Old 15th November 2011, 16:27   #202
BHPian

Ninja Congrats on your purchase and lookslike you already claimed the first insurance. Sorry to hear about the accident man.
Old 15th November 2011, 16:49   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also both the right side back door & the back portion over the rear (right) tire were painted - the paint bill, which accounts for the majority of the total bill is for both sections included.

Edit 2 : Any idea what is "g.f.f"?
G.F.F. stands for Guided Fault Finding.

The denting and painting jobs done by VW have pretty high labour cost, compared to other car manufacturers. I have seen my friend's Polo's expenses and it makes me wonder what is the reason for these high costs. I agree that the paint is of top quality, but thats paint. May be others have some better idea.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:13   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Ninja Congrats on your purchase and lookslike you already claimed the first insurance. Sorry to hear about the accident man.
Thanks dude. Yea, that dent was a stupid mistake - guess I had to experience it once atleast.

Saw your thread the other day - pretty sad to see sorry state of Tata cars even after being in the market for so long.

Btw have you tried putting this up through the alumni? There would be a few Jokars in Tata for sure. I have already shared the same with TAS batchmates who are in Tata motors. Not sure if anything might come out, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
G.F.F. stands for Guided Fault Finding.

The denting and painting jobs done by VW have pretty high labour cost, compared to other car manufacturers. I have seen my friend's Polo's expenses and it makes me wonder what is the reason for these high costs. I agree that the paint is of top quality, but thats paint. May be others have some better idea.
Thanks Ajay! Need to google that up to know exactly what the process is all about.

Yes, the labor costs are extremely high. If it wasn't for zero dep, I wouldn't dare bring the car out here. I believe they are just milking the cow - there aren't many garages (outside the dealer network) that do work on VW cars, so VW owners need to go back to them. Having said that, if I get into this mess (dent issue) again, I would probably get it done from outside.
Old 15th November 2011, 17:40   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Btw have you tried putting this up through the alumni? There would be a few Jokars in Tata for sure. I have already shared the same with TAS batchmates who are in Tata motors. Not sure if anything might come out, but you never know.
I guess I should do that. By the way what was your delivery time?
Old 15th November 2011, 18:49   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I guess I should do that. By the way what was your delivery time?
4 months
Booking Date : 1st June
Delivery Date : 24th September
Old 19th November 2011, 04:59   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Another trip = another travelogue?

Didn't think so, after all it was just a trip to ahmedabad, hardly 700kms one side.
Only exciting part was the TO trip which was to be done in the night.

Or so we thought.

Left Pune by 7, crossed Bombay by 10, even passed Surat by 2; all without a hitch. Kinder-garden stuff.

Or so we thought.

Last time while crossing the Narmada bridge, it took us 15 mins. So we take the route again, ignoring all advice of the forum. What's a few trucks gonna do to create a jam, eh?

Or so we thought.

- Narmada bridge jam starts at 3 a.m.

- It is 5 a.m already.

- The bridge is no where to be seen, yet.

- I have started walking, with the intent to figure out a shortcut(?) And maybe take a few pics, while my friend drives on.

- The car is nowhere to be seen.

- And of course our phones can't reach each other (but gprs works).

- I have around 20 Rs in my purse. Obviously there ain't an atm at the narmada bridge.

- I haven't slept since yesterday night. Neither has my friend.

Sigh. Looks like I have to pen it again.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th November 2011 at 05:01.
Old 19th November 2011, 13:27   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Didn't think so, after all it was just a trip to ahmedabad, hardly 700kms one side.

//
At this rate , you would be sued by tax payers who are angry at the diesel - petrol price differential Keep it up buddy
Old 19th November 2011, 15:04   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Err. Maybe I won't.

Quote:
At this rate , you would be sued by tax payers who are angry at the diesel - petrol price differential Keep it up buddy
Hahaha - quite possibly true. But then that's why I got the diesel. Before the car was purchased, my monthly running was less than 1k (bike & car included). Now it's over 5k. I knew this would happen, hence the diesel.
Old 19th November 2011, 16:04   #210
BHPian

Quote:

Haha!! Was this with the Vento?

By the way, the car has done strange things to my head these days. When anyone in the family thinks of a trip, all that comes to my mind is me cruising in the Vento on an empty highway reaching the destination comfortably. I am already in bliss!

Most Viewed