Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2012, 20:04   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!

Odometer Status : 14400+ kms

And the D-day arrives finally. Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day considering the recently done HID upgrade, wonder how the workshop guys are going to respond to this from the warranty aspect. But I'm ready to fight, the existing wiring hasn't been touched at all, so I don't see any point of issue! Will update on this later!

Btw the lady has big bro tagging along. Black Mamba has booked his second servicing along with the lady's first servicing for tomorrow. @mikon and myself will be reaching the workshop by 9.15 a.m. tomorrow to ensure we are the first to reach the workshop, well before the workshop starting time of 9.30 a.m. The plan is to spend a few hours at the workshop itself (hope my boss is not reading this!); while I'm planning to stay till lunch, @mikon might just stay over the entire day! Wondering if I should be taking the camera, as it'll be quite a problem taking it back to the office.
Old 14th April 2012, 13:25   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Dealer : B U Bhandari
Service Engineer : Manish
Reason : First Servicing @15,000 kms
Odometer Status : 14,418 kms
Hit on Wallet : 8,628 INR

Servicing Feedback : Excellent

Additional issues raised :
  1. Squeaking issue in hand-rest
  2. Vibrations from music console
  3. Wheel alignment
  4. Clutch wire change (taken on repeated requests by us)

Pros :
  • SA present at workshop at appointment time (9.30 a.m.)
  • All queries / issues was heard and responded to without any fuss. And the ones that couldn't be resolved was immediately put on job cart.
  • No cross-selling of additional services / No extra add-on accessories was sold. Focus was only on servicing, nothing else.
  • No issues raised on warranty aspects for HID upgrade. Not even mentioned on job cart.
  • Officially customers are not allowed in service bay. When requested, they allowed us with a smile, asking us not to disturb any of the workers. Engineers in service bay respond to any queries when asked without any issues.
  • Tea was offered to us while the job cart was being made. Nothing important, one would say. But these small things make the entire experience a lot better.
  • Minor vibration was observed in the music console and was mentioned in the job cart. Problem was replicated and resolved. To be observed in the coming days if it has been completely solved.
  • Wheel alignment was required as the car had been veering left. Problem was resolved. Have been told to come back if the problem comes back for the next 2000 kms - it would be re-done free of cost.

Cons :
  • Car was to be released by evening 5 p.m. We reached the workshop on time. However the cars were only delivered at 6.30. Reason quoted - high workload. However apologies were given and accepted.
  • Squeaking issue raised for hand-rest was not resolved. When escalated, discussion was initiated with service engineers being called for the same. They accepted the same was a possible defect and the same will be escalated to VW. Might have to make a visit again next week for the same.
  • Clutch wire change wasn't done. When asked why, the SA stated that the service engineers did a check on the same and did not find the clutch being that hard for my car. Immediately asked how does one decide at what level of "hardness" would one change the clutch, they all broke into smiles. The SA explained that this problem does exist and he remembered it being done for another Vento a few days back. However for that car, the clutch was really hard, and very uncomfortable. He sounded genuine, so I didn't push further.
  • Had requested for a bottle of windshield cleaning fluid. I was billed for the same, and was told the bottle would be in the glove-box. Forgot to check the same while leaving, found out later at home that they hadn't given it. Called them up today, have been told to collect it on Monday. Guess I'm at fault too - should have checked this before leaving.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-first-service-bill.jpg
Snapshot of Servicing Bill

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_0039.jpg
The lady & Black Mamba taking a breather after the wash

Last edited by ninjatalli : 14th April 2012 at 13:41.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 14:01   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Attachment 915709
That is someone else's car I guess. Not mine!
How can he forget the bottle of fuild?!!
Old 14th April 2012, 19:41   #364
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that the first paid service turned out excellent.The cost came out very less at Rs. 8.6K its very good. Mine came at 7.5K without wheel alignment & wash. One thing I'm thinking is that BUB has charged you for 4.5 Lt of engine oil whereas KSM changed me for 5 Lt. Any idea how can there be a difference of 0.5 Lt between two service center. Need to check it out during next service.

Regarding the clutch problem, T-Bhpian Ricky_63 Vento TDi HL has the new Vento same as yours. The reason given by SA is surely hilarious. How is the car feeling after the service and did they change fuel filter FOC?

Mine car is getting better with every passing day after clutch pipe change & very less clatter compared to what it was earlier. Vas update surely did some magic.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
After reading this I'm . Ninja forgot that Mamba actually is the Treadline variant with black alloys.
Old 14th April 2012, 20:58   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
After reading this I'm . Ninja forgot that Mamba actually is the Treadline variant with black alloys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
How can he forget the bottle of fuild?!!
Lol - my bad.

Quote:
Good to know that the first paid service turned out excellent.The cost came out very less at Rs. 8.6K its very good. Mine came at 7.5K without wheel alignment & wash. One thing I'm thinking is that BUB has charged you for 4.5 Lt of engine oil whereas KSM changed me for 5 Lt. Any idea how can there be a difference of 0.5 Lt between two service center. Need to check it out during next service.
I remember @mikon's Mamba too being billed for 4.5 liters. So it's not a one-off case.

Quote:
Regarding the clutch problem, T-Bhpian Ricky_63 Vento TDi HL has the new Vento same as yours. The reason given by SA is surely hilarious. How is the car feeling after the service and did they change fuel filter FOC?

Mine car is getting better with every passing day after clutch pipe change & very less clatter compared to what it was earlier. Vas update surely did some magic.
It was quite idiotic - you could easily decipher they were aware of the problem but have been advised not to do the change for all. I didn't push for it as I don't feel it to be that much of an issue. But it's quite possible I might change my mind if I experience your car or Ricky's. Till then, the current clutch pipe will do. Fuel filter wasn't changed. I did ask about it, was given the generic response - "Sir, we checked the system, your car didn't require it." However I remember @mikon was charged for it.

As for the improvement post the service, I haven't been able to drive the car yet, will be going for a long ride tomorrow. However the drive back to home from the workshop certainly gave me a brief idea that there was a considerable improvement in the performance of the car. More on this later once I get to rev the engine on the highways.
Old 16th April 2012, 18:44   #366
BHPian

Quote:
And so we did have that mini-night meet! From an initial plan of two guys catching up, finally the total count reached over 10 guys, with the attendance being two Ventos, one T-Fort, one Civic, one Safari and a Punto!

While a lot was discussed, which I'm sure the others will chip in later, I'll just put up a few shots of the meet. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of images this time, so you guys will have to be satisfied with these.
Hey Ninja,
Nice work with the pics.
The moment I saw the photo of the truck, I thought - damn this could qualify for the Fortuner's Catalog picture!

Mikon's word for the TFort in that pic - its Menacing! haa haa
Awesome photography man

cheers..

Next time, I'll get the peted Octy, we can also do a few drags on that strip.
Scofield - are you listening?

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 16th April 2012 at 18:45.
Old 17th April 2012, 00:50   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hey Ninja,
Nice work with the pics.
The moment I saw the photo of the truck, I thought - damn this could qualify for the Fortuner's Catalog picture!

Mikon's word for the TFort in that pic - its Menacing! haa haa
Awesome photography man
cheers..

Next time, I'll get the peted Octy, we can also do a few drags on that strip.
Scofield - are you listening?
Thank you boss!

And completely agree on the next photography-drags-meet plan. Lets plan and get it done as early as possible! This time we'll try to get the drags on video too if possible!
Old 19th April 2012, 10:33   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Post - Servicing Feedback

So did the first servicing make an impact on the car? Well, yes, and no I guess. A few observations on the car -
  • The lady's heart (read:engine) feels like a new baby again. No sluggishness, the lag is back to being negligible. Have touched 140+ speeds, the car feels faster over 120+ speeds, as I used to feel during the initial kms.
  • Don't find much of a change in the FE. Have yet to do a tank-to-tank FE measure, but going by the MID figures, I don't see any change.
  • I sense a bit of change in the suspension, I "feel" the car is more responsive to bumps and bad roads, however in a more of negative aspect than positive. To be observed closely in the coming days.
  • As expected, I never got the call from the workshop for the center arm-rest issue (refer to above post for details). Have not been able to find time, hence this will have to be postponed for a while.
  • The projectors DIY is rain-proof. Validated that during the recent showers in Pune. Kudos to @keyur and installation. Of course, I never had any doubts!

Quote:
Saw your PM. Unfortunately work and other activities are hardly giving me time to cater to this. But I'll take this up later for sure, now I have a car to checkup in Pune itself. Btw I might be visiting Bombay this weekend. Will give you a call if I do so.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 14:16   #369
BHPian

Quote:
  • The projectors DIY is rain-proof. Validated that during the recent showers in Pune. Kudos to @keyur and installation. Of course, I never had any doubts!
I was in the rains too, and was actually thinking about your cars (and a couple of other) projectors
Old 24th April 2012, 11:55   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Post - Servicing Feedback
Further feedback on the first servicing
  • AC cooling has gone up tremendously. The AC filter change does matter!
  • FE has definitely not improved. Did a Mumbai trip over the weekend (sorry @Rohan ), with 4 carpool-ing passengers, AC on, speeds hovering between 80-140 kmph.
    • FE figures (to/fro): 16 / 15 kmph
    • Mumbai trips with exactly same setup till a few months back, my average FE figures hovered at 17+ kmph
    • Fuel filter wasn't changed in my car. When asked, the SA mentioned it gets done only during second servicing
    • To be taken up with the workshop once I get the tank-to-tank FE measure
  • Suspension/tire noise has gone up considerably. With respect to earlier (before servicing) situation, the noise/modulations are clearly felt over bad roads. Earlier it wasn't that bad.
    • Can it also be due to the wheel rotation that I got done? No clarity on this.
    • The bumps are felt irrespective of the speed of the car.
    • Will be getting a second opinion from other Vento owners before I raise it with the workshop - am meeting @mikon for this, am open to more suggestions from Pune junta.
Any inputs on the above issues, people?
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 17:02   #371
Senior - BHPian

Did you check the tyre air pressure? Workshop's usually overfill them in the interest of FE.

One another factor that could be playing a role is, as you put on more miles in the odo, the tyre rubber gets progressively harder and ride becomes increasingly harsh towards their end of life.

Suspension would have been checked and tightened up, but will settle down in the due course.

Quote:
    • The bumps are felt irrespective of the speed of the car.
Any inputs on the above issues, people?
Old 28th April 2012, 22:19   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Did you check the tyre air pressure? Workshop's usually overfill them in the interest of FE.
@bala,
The Vento might be going out of your life for a short while, but I doubt you'll ever lose touch with this car or the Vento group on team-bhp!

Yes sir, it seems this was the one of the probable causes for one of the two issues - low air pressure in two tires (19!), and hence the suspension being (felt) more rigid.

However the FE is still same as suspected - just got a tank-to-tank measure, approx FE obtained post servicing is 16kmph. This over a mix of 40% / 60% (highway / city) travel.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 19:04   #373
Senior - BHPian

You bet! I cannot keep away even if I wanted to. I was talking to my daughter today while driving the car and the only thing she told me was to buy a new vento if and when we return back home in near future. I didn't find a reason to refuse, the ownership experience has been very good so far and I'm starting to appreciate and admire the car all the more knowing she's gonna be gone in a couple of weeks time. Feeling very sentimental about it.

We disagreed only on the choice of colour, while I liked Blue, my daughter was recommending Black...

You get the message, right

Quote:
@bala,
The Vento might be going out of your life for a short while, but I doubt you'll ever lose touch with this car or the Vento group on team-bhp!

Last edited by bala80 : 29th April 2012 at 19:07.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 12:45   #374
BHPian

Coming here after some(!) time. Nice to see that you have completed the 1st service. Car looks ravishing as always and the HID is on my wishlist once I get the infant seat for my son done.

I have a query for you. Did you continue your research on integrating the phone with the Vento? I remember you mentioning that a spare is available to make the phone connectivity work at the time of purchase. Any progress there?
Old 9th May 2012, 17:29   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Coming here after some(!) time. Nice to see that you have completed the 1st service. Car looks ravishing as always and the HID is on my wishlist once I get the infant seat for my son done.

I have a query for you. Did you continue your research on integrating the phone with the Vento? I remember you mentioning that a spare is available to make the phone connectivity work at the time of purchase. Any progress there?
Hullo! Being a dad has taken a lot of your free time it seems! How's the car running?

As for the phone connectivity, sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't follow it up. Found it easier to get a good bluetooth headset, satisfies most of my needs.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed