Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 19:01   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
[*]FE has definitely not improved. Did a Mumbai trip over the weekend (sorry @Rohan ), with 4 carpool-ing passengers, AC on, speeds hovering between 80-140 kmph.[list][*]FE figures (to/fro): 16 / 15 kmph[*]Mumbai trips with exactly same setup till a few months back, my average FE figures hovered at 17+ kmph
Could it be attributed to the summer effect? Few months back would be winters and A/C wouldnt have to work so hard. Or if weather is different in Mumbai then I this theory would be wrong of course.

Generally in my cars I've felt FE was always about 1-2Kmpl better in winters (owning to less use of A/C).
Old 9th May 2012, 21:53   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Coming here after some(!) time. Nice to see that you have completed the 1st service. Car looks ravishing as always and the HID is on my wishlist once I get the infant seat for my son done.

I have a query for you. Did you continue your research on integrating the phone with the Vento? I remember you mentioning that a spare is available to make the phone connectivity work at the time of purchase. Any progress there?
Hey, Prabhu. You've really been busy! How is the car? (before I ask how are you! ) You missed a couple of meets here in Bangalore!
Old 19th May 2012, 21:41   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

17,000 kms Update :

Weirdly, the need to keep this thread updated is slowly going down the drain. Can't find the inspiration to constantly update this thread, even though I literally have a TBHP window open all the time. Co-incidently I see I am not alone - most of the Vento threads have gone silent.

The lady (and of course so am I) is rearing for a long highway trip. The only highway trip she is seeing is Mumbai - Pune drives, which honestly is quite boring. But with no holidays in the next two months, and a good workload on my desk, I wonder how I am going to manage this!

As for the projectors, here's my honest opinion - they look amazingly awesome on the Vento. Every day, I spend atleast a few seconds oogling at the lady. Seriously, VW should bring out (another) face-lift with projector headlights, or atleast as an accessory - it'll sell like hot cakes. However, is it really necessary? Absolutely no. I don't see why one can't manage with a better set of bulbs. Still, I don't regret my decision - I just love the current look of the lady.

Mileage's not improved, however it's not something I'm worried about - seems like my driving sense might be to blame. With a more sedate driver, the lady might just give a far better average.

Ah, what I wouldn't give for a long highway drive!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 12:36   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
17,000 kms Update :

Weirdly, the need to keep this thread updated is slowly going down the drain. Can't find the inspiration to constantly update this thread, even though I literally have a TBHP window open all the time. Co-incidently I see I am not alone - most of the Vento threads have gone silent.
You stole my words buddy , even the official review thread has gone cold ! I guess we oldies have discovered all that had to be about the car too I am pushing 25,000 km on the odo and a serious lack of any prospect of a long drive in the near future is hurting me ! I am planning to do a pre-monsoon checkup ( have booked for 24th May) and get a bit of body work done on the left side which got damaged by a concrete block sticking 2feet out of a road courtesy morons in civic bodies. Changing workshops for a hopefully better experience .

Quote:
However, is it really necessary? Absolutely no. I don't see why one can't manage with a better set of bulbs.
Thank you ! I have been stalking your page just to convince myself that they are absolutely must haves but frankly I am pretty happy with the 100/90 . Headlights getting warmer was a concern but after more than 6 months of using the bulbs those concerns have vanished.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:53   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
I guess we oldies have discovered all that had to be about the car too
We ought to be oldies, nah.

Quote:
I am planning to do a pre-monsoon checkup ( have booked for 24th May) and get a bit of body work done on the left side which got damaged by a concrete block sticking 2feet out of a road courtesy morons in civic bodies. Changing workshops for a hopefully better experience.
Which workshop are you planning this time? Do upload photos of before and after body work done. Even ask the workshop if they would change the following as VW had sent notification for same.
  • Clutch hose pipe change, difference is remarkable.
  • Change of fuel filter under warranty FOC.
  • Lastly engine mounts change to reduce vibration within engine bay and cabin FOC.
Got to get the engine mounts change from KSM, waiting for exams to get over since rest all have been done.

Quote:
I have been stalking your page just to convince myself that they are absolutely must haves but frankly I am pretty happy with the 100/90 . Headlights getting warmer was a concern but after more than 6 months of using the bulbs those concerns have vanished.
No problems here with 100/90 Philips EssentialVision bulbs & BlueVision bulbs for fogs. VW headlight casing seems to take the heat without a problem. Just the relay fuse went off resulting in no low beam. Fixed it.
Old 20th May 2012, 21:19   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
We ought to be oldies, nah.

Which workshop are you planning this time? Do upload photos of before and after body work done. Even ask the workshop if they would change the following as VW had sent notification for same.
  • Clutch hose pipe change, difference is remarkable.
  • Change of fuel filter under warranty FOC.
  • Lastly engine mounts change to reduce vibration within engine bay and cabin FOC.
Got to get the engine mounts change from KSM, waiting for exams to get over since rest all have been done.

No problems here with 100/90 Philips EssentialVision bulbs & BlueVision bulbs for fogs. VW headlight casing seems to take the heat without a problem. Just the relay fuse went off resulting in no low beam. Fixed it.
Thanks man for the reminder , yes I will ask them . I am using VW downtown. Your relay fuse incident had me worried but no such incident in my car thankfully . I am keeping my fingers crossed that the cost of the little ( i hope its a small one ) is not a bomb , will keep you guys posted
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:56   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Time for some goodies for the lady (seems like I have been spending a lot more on her than myself!)
  • An IPOD connectivity cable for the HU
    (Thanks to BHP @newtonMeter for this)

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-vw_mdi_cable.jpg

• A 12V DC Vaccum Cleaner

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-temp.jpg

• Speakers Upgrade? Am pondering if I should upgrade the speakers too. Not touching the HU as of now for a year atleast. Pointers would be appreciated on feasible options that would not burn a too big hole in my pocket yet give a better output with the current HU as compared to the stock speakers. Also please suggest if any US based options can be opted for - might have a chance of getting stuff from there.

Aaaand yes! There is something for me! A trip down south! (Oh yea, I been planning that all year, haven't I!) But no, actually this is in the making.

A Pune - Bangalore - Chennai - Banglore - Pune trip!

In July. Oh yea! (I hope the rain gods arrive by then!)
  • Dates decided - Check!
  • Boss informed - Oops!
  • Leave applied/granted - Depends!
  • Passengers identified - WIP!
  • Route decided - Check!

As for the dates, July 14th, I have to be in Chennai. So it's going to be around that weekend. @mikon is still deciding if he wants to car-pool. If he does, the route might see a detour too (Did someone say Goa? ) Other BHPians who want to jump on, do tell! You can choose to do part of the route (Pune - Bangalore / Chennai - Bangalore / etc)

Seats up for grabs!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd June 2012 at 09:59.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:01   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

<rant start>

So it's time for another team-bhp meet mega meet, the Mumbai - Pune meet coming up tonight. Ah, I hate these meets. You need to get ready, and more important, you need to get your car ready. Btw it doesn't matter if you aren't dressed up, your car should be!

But my car just loves it. She gets the extra treatment you see. Now, I can't take a dirty car to a TBHP meet, can I? Oh no, I have to give her a proper wash. Take care of those swirls, give her a strong coat of waxing! And then the interiors have to be cleaned. Oh come on, who cares if you are a bachelor and the car interiors is as messy as the rest of your house. You are a TBHPian - the car stays spic and span. So out comes the vacuum cleaner too!

And to think I was going to wake up late today morning!

Sigh.

</rant end>
Old 25th June 2012, 10:01   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A Pune - Bangalore - Chennai - Banglore - Pune trip!

In July. Oh yea! (I hope the rain gods arrive by then!)
  • Dates decided - Check!
  • Boss informed - Oops!
  • Leave applied/granted - Depends!
  • Passengers identified - WIP!
  • Route decided - Check!
So how does this look? Well, let me rephrase that
  • Route decided - re-checked!
My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-trip.jpg

Guess I better get ready to spend time on another TL
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 18:05   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So how does this look? Well, let me rephrase that
  • Route decided - re-checked!
Guess I better get ready to spend time on another TL
Looks awesome !! Please don't leave it at 2900 kms , 3K kms looks better Wish you a great trip !
Old 25th June 2012, 18:48   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks awesome !! Please don't leave it at 2900 kms , 3K kms looks better Wish you a great trip !
Oh that's be easily taken care off! The starting point is Mumbai. For very obvious reasons

Jokes apart, did you try NH17 last time you had planned the trip to Goa? Am trying to decide if Mumbai - Goa should be attempted on NH17 or NH4.
Old 25th June 2012, 19:27   #387
Senior - BHPian

Good to know all is running well. By the way where are the pics from the mega meet?

For your route, why dont you try including Pondi on your to or fro Chennai route? For example, you could do Blr - Pondi - Chennai - Blr or the other way around.
Old 25th June 2012, 19:46   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Good to know all is running well. By the way where are the pics from the mega meet?

For your route, why dont you try including Pondi on your to or fro Chennai route? For example, you could do Blr - Pondi - Chennai - Blr or the other way around.
I'll be alone on the Bangalore - Chennai stretch. The Pondicherry trip is with family & relatives during the stay at Chennai. Guess everyone wants to have a go at the car, now it's available to them

Edit: As for the mega-meet, both me & @mikon kinda thought the other guy would bring the SLR. In the end, neither of us had one.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th June 2012 at 19:47.
Old 25th June 2012, 20:00   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
did you try NH17 last time you had planned the trip to Goa? Am trying to decide if Mumbai - Goa should be attempted on NH17 or NH4.
Nice trip planned, have a blast. If you are doing Mumbai-Goa for the first time, do it on NH17. With rains here almost, it would be a scenic drive to enjoy the coastal road, with a stopover at Chiplun(For lunch at Quality Resort, The Riverview) and Ganpatiphule(Ganpati temple & beach).

Or if you wish to cover the distance quickly from Mumbai to Goa, NH4 is best, but no scenic coastal roads.

Do post the travelogue at the end of the journey. Have a safe drive.
Old 25th June 2012, 20:04   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Edit: As for the mega-meet, both me & @mikon kinda thought the other guy would bring the SLR. In the end, neither of us had one.
I hope you didnt do that with the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Nice trip planned, have a blast. If you are doing Mumbai-Goa for the first time, do it on NH17. With rains here almost, it would be a scenic drive to enjoy the coastal road, with a stopover at Chiplun(For lunch at Quality Resort, The Riverview) and Ganpatiphule(Ganpati temple & beach).
If you have some time and would like to stretch your legs on some nice twisties, take the road from Chiplun to Guhagar

Most Viewed