Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 11:49   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!

You guys seem to be in the mood of buying something new for your Ventos

My Apollos haven't had a single puncture for 28K. They have been through really rough terrain. Apart from being very noisy on roads which are not smooth, I think these 'Indian' tyres are very risk free.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:02   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You guys seem to be in the mood of buying something new for your Ventos

My Apollos haven't had a single puncture for 28K. They have been through really rough terrain. Apart from being very noisy on roads which are not smooth, I think these 'Indian' tyres are very risk free.
lol - exactly the same thoughts that I had two months ago. Guess the Apollos are good as gold as long as they hold on. Once they start to go down, there is no stopping them!
Old 1st December 2012, 19:54   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Tire Feedback, Recent Trips and other trivia! - Part 1

Tires Feedback

So it's been over 1500 kms clocked with the CPC2s, with over 70% of it being on the highways, with a mix of GQ, expressway and broken down state highways. How have the CPC2 fared in comparison to the Acleres?
  • Driveability: Big improvement. Although the wow factor was more experienced during the initial 500 kms, still the car feels a bit more secure at high speeds, and better feedback while cornering.
  • Noise: No difference. I have mentioned it several times earlier that the Apollos didn't make that much noise as others have complained. I couldn't find any improvement/change with the new tires. Disclaimer: I listen to music at high volume most of the time!
  • Damage Control: Handles bad roads quite efficiently as I recently found out in my rural drive in Karnataka. Ironically the famous "thud" sound that the Ventos experience over bad craters is more pronounced with the CPC2 than the Aceleres.
  • Suspension: Biggest are of improvement, especially on city roads. Minor speed bumps and most undulations on the roads are handled much better.
  • Other points: Steering feels a tad heavier, even @mikon mentioned the same. Will get it checked during the second servicing.

Verdict: Worth the 20k? Definitely.

Recent Trip:

So on a recent weekend I had three items on my to-do list
- Attend a wedding some 500 kms away
- Do a long pending drive, preferably not on already-done routes
- Finish up pending office work

Now a sane mind would clearly identify the last task cancels out the prior two tasks. But then decisions are always made in the most logical sense, aren't they? So a doomed-to-fail plan was hatched: Drive down on Friday evening/night and reach late night, attend the wedding on Saturday and return back and finish up the work on Sunday. Savvy eh?

Part 1 : The part where everything goes hay-wire

Starting Point: Pashan, Pune (Point A)
The target : Badami, KA (Point B)
Options: Take the easy route NH4, travel south till you hit Belgaum and hit the state highways to reach Badami. Or be a mad-man to cross Pune city from west to east, on a busy Friday evening when traffic madness is at a peak, touch the work-in-progress NH9, hit Solapur, and then traverse the rest on un-chartered state highways to reach Badami.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-part-0.jpg
The no-brainer route

An easy decision to make, no?
And so I select the latter option.

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-part-1.jpg
The route that was taken
  • Point A to Point D : Duration - 2 hours / Road Condition : Bad
    A roundabout single lane route to reach NH9 from NH4, going on the outskirts of Pune city. Used heavily by trucks.
  • Point D to Point E : Duration - 3 hours / Road Condition : Good
    A clean highway with moderate traffic and a few diversions at either end (near Pune and Solapur cities), with almost nil tolls. Windows rolled down, and music on full volume, this was a pleasurable drive!
  • Point E to Point F : Duration - 1+ hour / Road Condition : Mixed
    The point where everything starts going downhill. On Gmaps I see a detour that allows me to bypass Solapur city. So I take the detour, a clean 2 lane road that flows through the rural landscape. I pass through several sleeping villages and am thoroughly enjoying this last minute change (of route). Then it happens.
    From clean crack-less roads I land into a goat path with craters that would put the moon surface to shame. The Solapur-Bijapur highway is just another 20-odd kms, but these 20 kms literally make me cry. I pass a few tractors, the only other vehicles on this route; probably wondering what kind of nut-case brings a sedan on these "roads".
  • Point F to Point G : Duration - 2 hours / Road Condition : Good
    I thank my stars that I had chosen to upgrade my tires before I did the last portion of the trip. I wonder how the Acleres would have endured the dirt track I just traversed an hour earlier. Soon I pass the KA border and pass the octroi points. And suddenly everything comes to a standstill. The octroi point is jammed up with trucks lined up and not even space for a bike to pass through. I switch off the car and go to sleep (read: I actually did).
    Some 20 mins later, I hear an ambulance siren. Somehow in that madness the ambulance is able to create a route, zig-zaging through the trucks. Not to miss the opportunity, I line up behind him, the other few cars at that jam taking up the cue, follow me. Some 20 mins later we are finally on the other side and free to move on. An hour later, I reach Bijapur and bypass the city and joining back on SH218.
  • Point G to Point I : Duration - 2+ hours / Road Condition : Good
    By now, my original plan of reaching by 1 in the night has gone for a toss. The last call with my host happened at 11, when I was given instructions on how to proceed at that late hour. With another 120 kms to go, it was clear that any "hurrying" business is not going to make any amends to the delays. Plus the weather was just perfect allowing me to take a halt in the middle of nowhere. Co-incidentally the tracklist had moved on to Pink Floyd, and the moment seemed perfect to do anything other than just simply savor it! Tried calling up a few friends but obviously didn't get any responses so just sent a few messages (including one on this thread!)

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-part-0.1.jpg
    A feeble attempt at photography at 4 in the morning

At the crack of dawn, I resume my drive and reach the sleepy but beautiful town of Badami around 6, a good 10 hours after I had left Pune. Do note - except for the 20 minute nap at the border, I haven't slept a bit. I call up my host (the bride-to-be), he assumes I reached last night as per the original plan and drags me to the early morning wedding ceremonies I decide to humor him and do not tell him about my all-night-drive till the ceremonies are done, some 3 hours later!

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-part-0.2.jpg
    The final frontier at Badami

Edit : Part 2 (The Wedding) & Part 3 (Return trip) coming up

Last edited by ninjatalli : 1st December 2012 at 19:58.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 00:08   #484
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tire Feedback, Recent Trips and other trivia! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The part where everything goes hay-wire.
Thoroughly enjoyed reading the part-1 of the trivia. Ninja, really need to salute you, you really have guts to traverse by state highways and that too during the night. After the last trip, or before that after traversing through state highways, you seem to have fallen in love with them, which shows in this travel of yours.

10 hrs on road, in pitch dark. No brainier route during the return, huh? Don't push your luck too much, state highways can take toll on the cars health, given rough patch of roads.

Waiting for the part-2 & 3 of the trivia. You should have compiled it in a travelogue. But seems we all are lazy. More pics awaited, hoping you clicked them.
Old 4th December 2012, 14:54   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed reading the part-1 of the trivia. Ninja, really need to salute you, you really have guts to traverse by state highways and that too during the night. After the last trip, or before that after traversing through state highways, you seem to have fallen in love with them, which shows in this travel of yours.

10 hrs on road, in pitch dark. No brainier route during the return, huh? Don't push your luck too much, state highways can take toll on the cars health, given rough patch of roads.
Thanks. Well, if one drives sensibly, without too much over-speeding at night, be it GQ or state highways, one should be in good hands. For instance, on the return trip, I took a short nap (30+ mins) thrice - every time I felt the need for sleep, I stopped by the roadside and did the needful. Same goes for the driving, reduced speed and other concerns were dependent on the road condition.

Quote:
Waiting for the part-2 & 3 of the trivia. You should have compiled it in a travelogue. But seems we all are lazy. More pics awaited, hoping you clicked them.
Will do. Work + laziness seem to be the general problem! As for the pictures, didn't feel secure in taking pictures while on the road, so only the "part 2" will have them.

Btw I got to "TD" a 2 year old 80k kms (tdi) Vento. Will give feedback on the same later

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th December 2012 at 14:58.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 15:42   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Tires Feedback

So it's been over 1500 kms clocked with the CPC2s, with over 70% of it being on the highways, with a mix of GQ, expressway and broken down state highways. How have the CPC2 fared in comparison to the Acleres?
  • Driveability: Big improvement. Although the wow factor was more experienced during the initial 500 kms, still the car feels a bit more secure at high speeds, and better feedback while cornering.
  • Noise: No difference. I have mentioned it several times earlier that the Apollos didn't make that much noise as others have complained. I couldn't find any improvement/change with the new tires. Disclaimer: I listen to music at high volume most of the time!
  • Damage Control: Handles bad roads quite efficiently as I recently found out in my rural drive in Karnataka. Ironically the famous "thud" sound that the Ventos experience over bad craters is more pronounced with the CPC2 than the Aceleres.
  • Suspension: Biggest are of improvement, especially on city roads. Minor speed bumps and most undulations on the roads are handled much better.
  • Other points: Steering feels a tad heavier, even @mikon mentioned the same. Will get it checked during the second servicing.
Nicely done. Just so you know I too upgraded to BS Potenza G3s and did a short highway drive to get a feel. The G3s I think are harder tires than the CPC2 and I think the noise levels are higher than the Acceleres. I really don't care much about the noise levels as long as the tires can endure the kind of roads I have to do. I will post a more detailed feedback on my ownership thread but generally it seems to match on many of the aspects. I love the butch looks the Potenza G3s give now with the deeper treads .

Quote:
I call up my host (the bride-to-be), he assumes ....
Bride was a he? Am I missing something here ?

Quote:
Thanks. Well, if one drives sensibly, without too much over-speeding at night, be it GQ or state highways, one should be in good hands.
Actually I like well maintained state highways even if they are two laned (most of them are). The scenery is way better and much less commercial traffic to deal with. The only downside is you have to slow down on the stretches where one crosses small towns or villages. But most of them tend to weave through the countryside and the twists and turns are where the Vento shows its character.

Quote:
Btw I got to "TD" a 2 year old 80k kms (tdi) Vento. Will give feedback on the same later
Looking forward to hear about it specially on the suspension, handling, braking, gear shift, NVH areas.
Old 4th December 2012, 16:22   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Nicely done. Just so you know I too upgraded to BS Potenza G3s and did a short highway drive to get a feel. The G3s I think are harder tires than the CPC2 and I think the noise levels are higher than the Acceleres. I really don't care much about the noise levels as long as the tires can endure the kind of roads I have to do. I will post a more detailed feedback on my ownership thread but generally it seems to match on many of the aspects. I love the butch looks the Potenza G3s give now with the deeper treads .
Nice! Will be interested to hear the feedback.

Quote:
Bride was a he? Am I missing something here ?
Lol. Looks like I need to proof-read/spell check my posts too before I submit them! I think I won't clarify this point, will let your imagination do the needful

Quote:
Actually I like well maintained state highways even if they are two laned (most of them are). The scenery is way better and much less commercial traffic to deal with. The only downside is you have to slow down on the stretches where one crosses small towns or villages. But most of them tend to weave through the countryside and the twists and turns are where the Vento shows its character.
Ditto! Exactly my thoughts. Loved Goa/Karnataka/TN country roads on the last trip, even this time the rural trip was worth the drive (except for speed breakers - will explain more about them later). Given a choice, I'd rather do SH than NH, even if I have to give up something (additional time/distance/etc) in return.

Quote:
Looking forward to hear about it specially on the suspension, handling, braking, gear shift, NVH areas.
Will do. Trying to get service details but in case I don't get them, will just give the feedback on the car.
Old 14th December 2012, 13:55   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Can a Jeep replace the Vento?

Recent threads on jeeps (especially @Samurai's thread) and discussions with @Swanand Inamdar and @mikon have got this constant question popping up in my mind - so much that I have spent the last few days browsing in the 4X4 section all the time. But then decisions aren't made alone, are they? Someone always has the veto power, irrespective of the situation or need.

So the question was popped yesterday when I was in Bombay for some work. Face to face – such important questions need to be handled delicately.

Me. Umm… So I was wondering about something for the last few days with respect to the car.
Car music running in the background
She: (Tone normal) About what?

Me: Err… What happened to your car driving classes? Have you yet found a good driving school yet? (Context: The sedan was considered over the SUV with the idea that she will drive it/keep it – apparently SUVs don’t look drive-able for/by ladies)
She: Can’t you see how busy I am in work nowadays? How do you expect me to find time for driving?

Me: Well you need to start sometime. It’s over a year (since we bought this car) and you still have to learn to drive properly
She: (Tone changes. More depth, words roll out slowly) Why is this coming up now?

Me: Well… Umm… I was looking at a few online “websites” (Note: the word TBHP is taboo. Referring to this forum in any kind of discussion is liable to be as severe as forgetting what you promised to do – which happens quite a lot nowadays) and discussing with a few friends.
Car music gets switched off
Me: So… What is your opinion if I decide to sell this car and buy a new jeep (Note: Used cars are apparently, well, used. Enough said)

Silence

(End of discussion)
(End of decision-making)
Old 14th December 2012, 14:25   #489
Senior - BHPian

One word... .

This is exactly what I was trying to tell you when we were discussing the buy. Been there done that. Been ignored, like I had lost my mind!

So, whats the final outcome? Has the plan been shelved indefinitely?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 14:33   #490
Distinguished - BHPian

I just have one question Ninja. Which SUV will you get that offers the same power, torque, handling, build quality and reliability AT THE SAME PRICE as the Vento?

noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 14:33   #491
BHPian

Hahhahhaha...
We need more convincing or rather pestering power. Or, a deal = give a gift (expensive stones) and buy your dream. I'm trying my luck on the second option!
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 15:01   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
So, whats the final outcome? Has the plan been shelved indefinitely?
With her - yes. In my mind, no. But I guess I might see some advancement in the driving school aspect. Yikes! Not a good situation. In the near future if you see me driving an old broken down pulsar, you know what to assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

I just have one question Ninja. Which SUV will you get that offers the same power, torque, handling, build quality and reliability AT THE SAME PRICE as the Vento?

Jeep decisions are never made with the head right? The most funny aspect - I am yet to sit in a jeep! But I'm in love with it already.

Well, anyway bygones are bygones. The Vento is to stay. Unless someone gifts me a Jeep for free. *I'm serious here. Anyone in a generous mood?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Hahhahhaha...
We need more convincing or rather pestering power. Or, a deal = give a gift (expensive stones) and buy your dream. I'm trying my luck on the second option!
lol - all the best.
Old 14th December 2012, 19:36   #493
BHPian

Quote:
(End of discussion)
(End of decision-making)
Thats how all these cookies crumble in our lives. There are only a lucky few who are allowed to have their first car as an SUV/Jeep. Most of us have to traverse through the hatch/sedan route.

Quote:
Jeep decisions are never made with the head right? The most funny aspect - I am yet to sit in a jeep! But I'm in love with it already.
Actually a lot of head and as you have said you are yet to sit in a jeep. I suggest you actually do that and do it for some time to get the actual feel. Having done this myself including some driving in an OTR I have kinda started ruling it out unless you are talking about the one to be launched by Chrysler/Fiat . This is OT here I guess but comparing it to any sedan is not the way to start. I guess your basic thought process started with owning an SUV and then at what price point you could afford. I too considered the jeep (Thar) but having driven it and been in one I found the comfort factor completely missing. However if your requirements are on the heavy OTR side a Thar is the best fit. One can customize it to any extent to add creature comforts (of course at additional cost) but the ride quality is never going to improve as much as a sedan or an SUV. Also the brakes as I have understood are not meant for high speed driving on highways. Having considered all this I have kind of ruled it out for now unless an upgraded version is launched soon. For now only the Scorpio SLX 4X4 kind of fits the bill. Sorry about going a bit OT here. However an SUV would be only meant for going to places where the Vento cannot make it. The plains are going to be ruled by the Vento forever.
Old 16th December 2012, 09:21   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Actually a lot of head and as you have said you are yet to sit in a jeep. I suggest you actually do that and do it for some time to get the actual feel. Having done this myself including some driving in an OTR I have kinda started ruling it out unless you are talking about the one to be launched by Chrysler/Fiat . This is OT here I guess but comparing it to any sedan is not the way to start.
A bit of context to be put here - I have sat in a Jeep several times; but as a passenger. What is yet to be experienced is the driver's seat. However your point is valid.

Quote:
I guess your basic thought process started with owning an SUV and then at what price point you could afford. I too considered the jeep (Thar) but having driven it and been in one I found the comfort factor completely missing. However if your requirements are on the heavy OTR side a Thar is the best fit. One can customize it to any extent to add creature comforts (of course at additional cost) but the ride quality is never going to improve as much as a sedan or an SUV. Also the brakes as I have understood are not meant for high speed driving on highways. Having considered all this I have kind of ruled it out for now unless an upgraded version is launched soon. For now only the Scorpio SLX 4X4 kind of fits the bill. Sorry about going a bit OT here. However an SUV would be only meant for going to places where the Vento cannot make it. The plains are going to be ruled by the Vento forever.
More or less dot on. But for me the Safari fits the bill, or rather it used to fit the bill. Now with the plethora of choices in the 8-15lakh segment, if I had to choose a SUV for myself, I am not sure if the Safari (or the Storme) would still hold the top pick. Anyway that is OT As I said earlier, the Vento is to stay.
Old 19th December 2012, 07:37   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

29,000 km update!

1000 more to go; or rather 14 days more to go for the second servicing (appointment). My car has never felt the need for the servicing as it does now
  • Doors are squeaking
  • The engine rattle is clearly audible
  • Car is sluggish at low speeds
  • The tail lamp needs to be fixed! Can't be running around with only one tail lamp!
  • And so much more . . .

Called up the workshop over one of the weekends to fix up a time to get the tail lamp fixed, they advice me to get it done during the service only - else I might have to keep my car over for the night for a job which should not take more than an hour. So second servicing it is.

Plus I believe it's about time the car made a visit to 3M. Been delaying that since ages; of course I have been waxing/polishing the car myself, but the car yearns for a professional touch. And my detailing is nothing compared to how good the other Vento owners do it (Note to myself: Check with @el lobo 61 if he would be ready to do my car for say, a "fee" )

My Shadow Blue VW Vento TDI. EDIT: SOLD after 8 years, 80000+ km!-img_20121208_180044.jpg
A wip polishing snapshot of the car - the design does look funky! Food for thought!

1000 kms left with two pending Mumbai - Pune trips; damn it is going to be tricky getting the car to the workshop under 30,000!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks