Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2006, 21:55   #16
Team-BHP Support

Hey Ajmat,

Very extensive report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled
Quote:
15th May - fill car, notice it only did 8km/ltr. Been using the car early morning to go to the gym/ cubbon park. As engine is cold and roads empty, never pushed it, felt throttle was dead- thought it was thin air density!
By the way does air density make that much of a difference?? I've heard of Rally cars facing that problem.. but never in indian cars ;-)
The first time i read what you wrote, what immediately came to mind was that actually in the mornings (cold) the air is actually more dense. Which is better for the engine.

When i read it the second time, when fuelled had quoted it and after i read your clutch problem saga, i realised. 8 km/l from a 1.3 in nice, trafficless, early morning, cold air driving conditions???

Maybe your clutch has been slipping all along ?

What FE have u been getting in the past?

cya
R

cya
R
Old 20th May 2006, 22:24   #17
BHPian

Ajmat, feel really sorry. Good luck from now on.

Quote:
But cud be due to some underside damage the car might have taken.
Fuelled, could you expand/explain how/what could cause this underside damage? Thanks.
Old 21st May 2006, 00:21   #18
BHPian

@pmbabu

I meant while driving on a bad road the car bottomed out,
or maybe a rock or something that he went over at speed.

Thats what i said in regards to the damage to the gearbox casing that Ajmat mentioned.

It actually happened to me once. Once on a road without a divider, some guy was on my side coming from the opposite direction n i had to swerve to the left off the road to avoid that @##%. There was a huge depression on the unpaved road, and my car hit it with a thud. I was in fifth gear that time, but after it the car slipped out of the gear with a loud grating noise.

I stopped the car to look for any damage, wasnt anything visible. But the gears wouldn't engage properly after that. It was like that even on pressing the full pedal the clutch wasn't disengaging. I managed to get the car home with the gears "atkoing" all the way. Sent it to the workshop, who repaired the clutch and the cable(as they said) which had come loose.

Last edited by Fuelled : 21st May 2006 at 00:26.
Old 21st May 2006, 14:12   #19
BHPian

@fuelled,

Thanks for the reply.

It sure is scary if this happens on the middle of the highway and you are more than 20 or more kms away from a decent town :-(
Old 21st May 2006, 15:08   #20
BHPian

OT

@pmbabu
I was just about to enter NH8 when i had this mishap, musta been 10 in the night. Boy those 11 minutes were real scary when i was on a 12 km long NH8 stretch, with the car barely moving along.

And I kept praying that the car kept moving till i got into some place with some inhabitants.

I really dont like unreliable cars. I mean even if its a fault maybe once in 3 months. It'l not be something i'd be driving.

PS: edited the length of the stretch, and the time taken to cover it. It looked funny with all 10s ;-)

Last edited by Fuelled : 21st May 2006 at 15:11.
Old 22nd May 2006, 15:40   #21
BHPian

Amjat, sorry abt your vehicle....

Man i am just thinking whether swift is made up of total unreliable parts....

Just another instance to add....

I had my third free service done at CARS India, Chennai on Saturday. I had requested a tyre rotation using my spare tyre which was not done at the time of delivery. So we asked them to do it. During tyre rotation my front right weel nut had got slipped and was spinning invariably clockwise or anti clockwise. They told nitrous and me to wait in the customer loby. After 30 min's when we went and asked how they managed to get it off, the supervisor told me that they had shown heat which would have spoiled the alloy's painting.

Later they got the alloy's painted and all 4 nuts and bolts replaced under warranty.

Think if a puncture had happened while driving on a highway on the same wheel.?????
The vehicle has gone for 2 services till now excluding this. Hence only a max of two times usage of the nut. GOD where does the quality of part's stand for Swift.??
Old 23rd May 2006, 15:58   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram
. During tyre rotation my front right weel nut had got slipped and was spinning invariably clockwise or anti clockwise. They told nitrous and me to wait in the customer loby....................t. GOD where does the quality of part's stand for Swift.??

Looks like they overtightened the nuts with a pneumatic tool and stripped the threads - might be a workshop fault

No further update, so far silence..................I have my car back and it is working well
Old 23rd May 2006, 16:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Car is brought. I ask to see what was done. Am shown the emails and photos sent to Maruti. Photo shows clutch plate unevenly worn and pressure plate looking like a coir board cast off. Email mentions that "Customer might have driven with handbrake on and refuses to accept this"

Uneven wear and handbrakes no way go hand in hand, uneven wear means a faulty clutch plate installation in the first place.
Old 23rd May 2006, 16:58   #24

i can imagine the agony. pratham on sarjapur road is a very bad option to service your car with. they had tried to change parts / quote exorbitant charges on my zen without explaining the need/ reason. had to make some calls in gurgaon maruti to get my car back in proper condition.All this while for a free service check up at 10000 km.

and top of that they keep u sending feeback mailers.................
Old 17th June 2006, 18:21   #25
Team-BHP Support

4800 km 2nd Service

Back with good ole Mandovi, Wilson Garden

Felt gear shift was notchy and rear hatch door needed a slam otherwise no complants. Decided to treat it to Dinitrol underbody coating.

Got the car back on time, immaculately presented - so immacualte that it shows up minor scratches. Rear book lock replaced under warranty (very generous, I thought it would be adjusted!) - bill came to Rs 12 for windscreen washer fluid + Rs 1900 for the Dinitrol treatment.

Can't complain !

Roll on 10,000!
Old 17th June 2006, 20:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your car Ajmat I know how it feels I had 2 years of terrible service and support on my VTEC (hallowed be its name!) from Honda dealers. Finally junked them after leaving the service station manager with 15 mins of choices expletives & a fabulous rundown after another crappy job.

Hope she doesn't give you any more trouble now on. But this trend is seriously worrying as on a Premium hatchback these problems should not occur at all. Maruti has never been the holy grail of quality but in a new product like the Swift these problems should not be there.

Quote:
I dont really think it can be a case of abusing the clutch so much that it tore itself to bits. I have a friend with an OHC, driven 50k+.. and that guy murders his car(so much so that u actually feel bad for the car) 24*7*365. Stil his car seems fine.
I guess you forgot about my VTEC which has done 103k and is still on the original clutch!
Old 4th February 2007, 16:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Off Topic question :

During the initial free services of the vehicle can it be taken to any of the authorised maruti dealerships (ie: Besides the dealership where the car was purchased from) ? The reason I ask is because ajmat has used Pratham as well as Mandovi, so I assume its possible.
Old 4th February 2007, 16:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

You can have the car serviced for the free services from any authorised dealer in any part of India.
Old 4th February 2007, 19:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ishaan bhai!
Old 4th February 2007, 22:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

I serviced every time Swift with different service stations. I feel that will work out great unless we know one best service station.

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks