Team-BHP - Swift Zxi - 2000km -Yawn another one
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Swift Zxi - 2000km -Yawn another one (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/10822-swift-zxi-2000km-yawn-another-one.html)

Yet another Swift 2000 km report!!!

Best way to start the Year is with a hangover. Second best way, is to start with a new car.

In addition to the Vtec (hallowed be it’s name), I also had an 800 Mpfi – great acceleration….and that’s about it. Five years on, it was time to move on. Also, I needed to pay less tax so what a better way than to get a new company car.

Why Swift ?

Objective was to get something which was safe for my wife also to use. Sometimes the car needs to go to Yelahanka to collect my daughter from school. We considered a Santro Automatic but it was being replaced in the next 18 months. The Getz – My mother has one and it is well thought and and well finished. But SWMB (she who must be obeyed) could not handle the high A pillars. I felt it was too understeery.

We test drove the Swift, we were both undecided but what swung it for me were the safety features, the climate control and the looks!!! Maruti also offered a great deal on the 800 on exchange.

On Delivery

Jan 2nd was the first working day of the year so there were a surge of registrations at the RTO so delivery was only at 7.00pm. Car briefing etc from Mandovi was good. Car was presented well except for the RTO dust which they offered to clean if I waited. Had ordered mats and a leather steering cover which were duly fitted.

Sat in the car, the plastic pong was unbearable. Drove it home, it was stiff by comparision, the Vtec (hallowed be its name), feels like a pair of comfy old trainers. Did not use it for two days as I wanted to get the wheels upgraded.

Pics - Credit to Rudra Sen

Wheels for ma’ wheels

The car needed decent boots – did my market scan –
Sprocket – nicely laid out, no choice, no trade in for ZXi alloys.
Pit Stop – expensive
Car Shrungar – nice choice but high price and no trade in
Hot Tracks – good choice, good price, good trade in offer…if you know him

Took various rims out and matched it up. Amazingly, the set I chose, I would never have looked at in the shop. Felt the normal silver 5 spokes were passé and this was different. Slapped on the Goodyear 195 F1’s and we were on our way.

Also fitted a spoiler from Hot Tracks – cost me Rs 4000 compared to Rs 8500 from the dealer but his painting was appalling.

Running in

Car felt sure footed but stiff. I never pushed it but ensured dynamic engine loads. Gear selection started freeing up. Acceleration is leisurely at first but picks up. Brakes are amazing. Have only felt the ABS kick in once when avoiding a blind U turning motorbike. Steering is direct but feeless. Bit like playing with a remote control car. Parking is fine

Climate control is effective – I like the way it diverts air as per sensor but strong sunlight does fool the dashtop sensor at times.

SWBO notes – 0km – its big, 1000 km later – so comfortable and relaxing.

Towards the end of the running in period, I started pushing it, it started freeing up. I found that I could do higher speeds than in the Vtec (hallowed be its name) due to its immense stability and brakes. Rudra and I took its first highway run and we were amazed how it sits well.

It is not as involving as the Vtec (hallowed be its name) but very sure footed all the same.

Delayed fitting stereo as I was parking the car at night with windows down to get rid of the plastic pong

800km service -Done at Pratham (opposite my office for convenience), cannot criticize anything. Bill came to Rs 546

2000 km on
– Car is freeing up – still needs to overcome its weight. Great car to drive at night because of its height. Lights are okay. Very comfortable seats in front.

Faults? - Well none of the rattles that others talk about. There is a slight creak when going down a ramp and some wind noise.

Hates: Wife complains about too many adjustments when drivers change -seat height, mirrors etc. (M 800 had 3 variables – front seat reach, driver door and rearview mirror) – this has seat height + passenger also. Thick pillars so looking out for merging traffic requires caution. Boot is limited. Finishing at the bottom of front seats. Pathetic Horn

Add ons
Wheels apart

Pioneer Head unit –( fiddly controls) + JBL compo’s + amp + co axial + 10” sub fitted by Sound Factor – bit odd but sounds better everyday (do audio systems get run in?)
Hella Horn – bit shrill but only water proof alternative (horn sits right below) - fitted by Sound Factor – took a lot of car in removing and fitting everything back

Biggest Surprise

Huge bumper hidden behind front grill – never mind the Fiesta Dog Bar, this is for cow’s

Hey nice car. I have the same 15" HR alloys on my Optra. Even I'd have never chosen them in the shop. My girlfriend picked them out and asked for them to be put on the car, and I completely changed my mind and went for them.

So now I have Rudra's car and your wheels. Heh.

You seem to have chosen unidirectional tires. Interesting! So what about the spare tire? Is it for the left side or the right? I guess I always wanted to know this whenever I saw unidrectional tires. What forms the basis for this decision? Also how do you do tire rotation? Just the aage-kaa-peechhe and vice-versa stuff?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo
You seem to have chosen unidirectional tires. Interesting! So what about the spare tire? Is it for the left side or the right? I guess I always wanted to know this whenever I saw unidrectional tires. What forms the basis for this decision? Also how do you do tire rotation? Just the aage-kaa-peechhe and vice-versa stuff?

Spare is for the left - worse case run car to next service station and switch around

Nice review Ajmat. Your Swift really does look striking. Only thing missing are tints, but with the recent crackdown in Bangalore, I suppose its better not to have any for a while.

Quote:

Goodyear 195 F1’s
Wow. That's bodering on overkill! I bet it corners as if its on rails now!

Car does not need tints - was planning on V-kool but the lack of glass area and the minimal slant means that this is not really required

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Shiva

So now I have Rudra's car and your wheels. Heh.

And I have Rudra's tyres and my car (honda)....well 2 left, ripped one, burnt one

Nice review ajmat. I am yet to see your swift, good thing you went for professional help for the snaps, time to replace your BHP garage photos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zappo

Funny you say that, most tyre upgrades in Team-BHP are unidirectional tyres, mine included. Yeah, the spare tyre selection is tricky, you just have to pick a side by flipping a coin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtech
Only thing missing are tints, but with the recent crackdown in Bangalore, I suppose its better not to have any for a while.

Actually there was no crackdown, just the threat of it, which passed.

Nice review and nice car too....

Heh Heh... why does it remind me of them dinky cars? the ones you pull back and release? :)

As usual, crispy report.
Quote:

I have the same 15" HR alloys on my Optra. Even I'd have never chosen them in the shop. My girlfriend picked them out and asked for them to be put on the car, and I completely changed my mind and went for them.
These wheels on an Optra?? Guess she means a lot.

Quote:

And I have Rudra's tyres and my car (honda)....well 2 left, ripped one, burnt one
I know about the ripping. But, how did u burn one??

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
As usual, crispy report.

These wheels on an Optra?? Guess she means a lot.

The car or the girlfriend? :D

Nice report n fantastic pics...
Enjoy your ride...

KP

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous

I know about the ripping. But, how did u burn one??

Vice versa - you know about the burnt one. Ripped one happened when I was forced of the road nr Dharmapuri by a track with glaring lights

continuing from hereLet me rewind -

15th May - fill car, notice it only did 8km/ltr. Been using the car early morning to go to the gym/ cubbon park. As engine is cold and roads empty, never pushed it, felt throttle was dead- thought it was thin air density!

Now Play

17 May

7.30: Decide to give it the usual Sarjapur grind - a little more sluggish but not too concerned.
12.30 Go to Koramangala for an appointment - never pushed it in thick traffic.
1.45: Return to Sarjapur - notice that it behaves like a Vtec - all action at 4000 RPM. On Outer ring road - Getz tailgating me closely, downshift into 4th - no gears. Stop, switch off, put into reverse, then first. Car moves but slight judder. Drive into campus - open bonnet and inspect cables - nothing amiss. Car reverses and goes forward/back. Consult Old Man / Psycho. Maybe shifter is off
5.15 - depart - on outer ring road - car feels sluggish - decide to go straight to Mandovi despite Pratham located opposite my office
5.30 - car gives up totally before Silk Board - some decent auto guys help me push it onto a service road. Call Mandovi MOS - in Indiranagar - ask me to contact the central Maruti line
5.40 -Call the central line - give car and location details. Assured that I will be contacted in 10 min
5.45 - Call the Old Man - second best stress reliever
5.45 - receive SMS that I wil be contacted
6.15 - Old Man rings - what happened?
6.20 - no response - call central line - assured that I will be called in 10 min
6.30 - Pratham calls. Explain problem. They will arrive in one hour as he is towing a car back to Sarjapur - Dread wait - raining heavily and ending back in my office opposite Pratham. Get a bottle of water. Switch on engine, a/c and music - (full tank so I might as well enjoy). Dreading towing across ring road in thick traffic
7.00 - Pratham calls to say he is on his way. ETA 15 min
7.02 -Ring Old Man to update him - Old man decides to come over despite, rain, lousy customer meeting and dense traffic
7.05 - SMS that technician on his way
7.40 - MOS Omni arrives - traffic thick and locating car caused delay
7.50 - Decides to tow - luckily it is a team so I empty my stuff. Old man 10 min away. Watch as the car is acrross ring road. Relived that it is being professionaly done. Asked to come in to sort paperwork tomorrow
8.05 - Spy the Bling machine - sink in and listen to the awesome sound and pray for T-bhp network and the Old Man.
8.30 - Reach home and Old Man and I have the best stress remover - Good Old Single Malt

18May

8.00 am
- Take the Bus to work
9.20 am - Arrive at Pratham. Car parked in reception area.
9.25 am - Service advisors hanging outside tell me to go to desk. Desk tell me go find supervisor. I blow up and say a few words about customer service.
9.30 am - Person assigned and car check in process begins - check car out - 100% safe, keys in ignition (all night ?) Retrieve ipod left in a hurry. Towing eye taken and left back in tool kit.
9.45 am -Told might be clutch abuse - driven with handbrake on. We'll open up and see. I refute this. Wait for verdict. Assured of call by noon
Till.1 pm - no call
1.00pm - Call mobile no of service advisor - no response
1.40pm - call again - Advisor picks up and says he is outside and will call soon
2.30 - call - no answer, call ,no answer X 4
2.45 - get onto shuttle to my airport road office - call - no answer -get sms that in a meeting, pls call later
3.30- call ,no answer X 5. Call landline - asked for service manager - why ? Reason explained. Assured of a response in 10 min
3.40 - Told to expect a call from the mechanic dismantling the car in 10 min
3.50 - Mechanic calls and explains pressure plate worn out and plate totally gone. Clutch abuse story starts - I refuse to accept this. Given the mobile of the Service manager to call. Call and no reply X 2 - company culture ?
4.00 - rush into a meeting so cannot follow up
4.45 - success - spoke to Service Manager and explain problem - he said that he will look into it and revert
5.15 - hop across to the Leela where my honda is waiting - my wife windowshopping in the Leela.
6.00 - Call service manager again - mechanic has gone on a test drive - he will revert

19th
Decide to take my Honda to work as no insight on whether car will be ready.
10.00 am - Call Service Maanger - Get no answer - am in a mega training session so decide that I will not get distracted
2.30 - Call service advisor - Car taken on test drive and some gearbox casing damage found - to be replaced under warranty. I suggest that I pick up car tomm at 10am rather than rush them

20th May

Ring up at 9.45. Told to come
Reach at 11.00 - Car on a test drive. Service relation person actually waiting to meet me. Mentions that there is a warranty issue so job is not closed but will release car. They are awaiting communication from Maruti Told to wait for 30min. We go out to see someone

Return at 12.00. Car is brought. I ask to see what was done. Am shown the emails and photos sent to Maruti. Photo shows clutch plate unevenly worn and pressure plate looking like a coir board cast off. Email mentions that "Customer might have driven with handbrake on and refuses to accept this" They want to know the total service history. I invite the mechanics to look at the brake drums of the car if this is the case. Also to inspect the Honda and trace the previous 800 under the True Value scheme. Anyway, I said let us see what the verdict is My wife decided she would take the Honda:mad:

Drove home and here I am

Make your own conclusions on the transaction. Will await final verdict. At least I got the car back and there is a willingness to look into my grievance.

Luckily 1st service was with Pratham

You know where the second service will be !

I dont really think it can be a case of abusing the clutch so much that it tore itself to bits. I have a friend with an OHC, driven 50k+.. and that guy murders his car(so much so that u actually feel bad for the car) 24*7*365. Stil his car seems fine.

It seems like a simple case of a faulty part.. more than anything else.
But cud be due to some underside damage the car might have taken.

Anyways.. The whole deal must have left a bad taste in the mouth.

Quote:

15th May - fill car, notice it only did 8km/ltr. Been using the car early morning to go to the gym/ cubbon park. As engine is cold and roads empty, never pushed it, felt throttle was dead- thought it was thin air density!
By the way does air density make that much of a difference?? I've heard of Rally cars facing that problem.. but never in indian cars ;-)