Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2013, 16:12   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So what should be the next plan of action?
On my last Corolla I had reached a similar state with the brakes. Got them lathe faced here in Meerut. BTW we have some great lathe workers here in Meerut. Also took good OEM quality brake pads from my local dealer. Total expenses were less than 2K about 3 years back. Add inflation and this work should still cost you less than 5K in Delhi after market and work quality was better than the ASC's.

Last edited by dkaile : 18th April 2013 at 16:41.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 16:45   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Would there be any warranty issues if I get the Brake pads and discs ( if needed) replaced from outside?
Old 18th April 2013, 16:49   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would there be any warranty issues if I get the Brake pads and discs ( if needed) replaced from outside?
They don't need to know, do they? And with a Corolla, who needs warranty!! It's not a Skoda/VW... lolz
Old 18th April 2013, 16:53   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
They don't need to know, do they? And with a Corolla, who needs warranty!! It's not a Skoda/VW... lolz
But I think the quality of the Corolla is questionable. Its no Innova/Fortuner for sure, both of which can take up much more abuse.
Old 18th April 2013, 16:56   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I think the quality of the Corolla is questionable. Its no Innova/Fortuner for sure, both of which can take up much more abuse.
I am surprised by your statement. That it is not luxurious as the competition can be understood but doubting its quality is something I have not encountered. They may have done cost cutting on the Etios but Corolla is still an international product.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:01   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised by your statement. That it is not luxurious as the competition can be understood but doubting its quality is something I have not encountered. They may have done cost cutting on the Etios but Corolla is still an international product.
Out of the 20k kms my car has run, almost 12-13k has been on highways which should mean longer brake life. Even after that if you find out that your discs need replacement then you just feel sorry for yourself. So may be its just the disappointment speaking right now.

PS: I do love the car
Old 18th April 2013, 17:07   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So may be its just the disappointment speaking right now.
In the Corolla, the discs needing lathe work and frequent replacement is the only known issue. They usually last 25-30K kms; Max 40K kms. Mine lasted 40K+ kms before I got the work done. So don't get worried much and get the work done aftermarket. The engine and rest of the car is a gem.

Off Topic - Although on a off-note I have moved to the German's now even though I know their reliability issues. But I am just addicted to their oozing quality . BTW also booked a Vento TDI Highline for my brother-in-law.

Last edited by dkaile : 18th April 2013 at 17:19.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:53   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the Corolla, the discs needing lathe work and frequent replacement is the only known issue. They usually last 25-30K kms; Max 40K kms. Mine lasted 40K+ kms before I got the work done. So don't get worried much and get the work done aftermarket. The engine and rest of the car is a gem.
Yes that is the decided course of action now. The discs are available for around 2k in delhi and the pads for 1.5k. So all I need to do is to find a good mechanic here in Vadodara.

Quote:
Off Topic - Although on a off-note I have moved to the German's now even though I know their reliability issues. But I am just addicted to their oozing quality . BTW also booked a Vento TDI Highline for my brother-in-law.
+1. However much one criticizes there dealership experience and costly maintenance still the charm of a European car is unparalleled.
Old 18th April 2013, 18:03   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Out of the 20k kms my car has run, almost 12-13k has been on highways which should mean longer brake life. Even after that if you find out that your discs need replacement then you just feel sorry for yourself. So may be its just the disappointment speaking right now.
Brake pads at the rear do wear out fast in the Altis. Same case as mine.

The discs needing replacement is not a quality issue but just bad luck. It could happen even if a small gravel stone got stuck between the pads and discs or the pads were not seated correctly causing uneven wear on the discs. Discs also go bad due to warping. Warping happens due to rapid heating and cooling of the discs when you brake hard.

My Altis is at 37K kms and the second set of pads. Discs are not touched.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 18:48   #175
BHPian

Quote:

Also bumped into member Ankit there. It was nice meeting someone from the forum finally in Vadodara which reminds me that we should have a TBHP meet in Vadodara.
Hi it was great meeting you too. The moment I spotted the team-bhp sticker and the Delhi registration I knew it had to be you! Incidentally my brakes turned out to be fine. Got them checked. They say it doesn't require any work. They told me my suspension lower arms internal bushing for the front wheels has cracked but since there isn't any play in them it will serve me fine for another 10k. Since my car is now 95k it's on it's last legs I guess so didn't bother for a replacement provided my peril ends with a suitable replacement. The lower arm costs 8k each. They did change the V belt as it had hardened and was cracking.

But Mohit your anxiety about the brake pads and disc is understandable as its the problem across the corolla family both the classic and the Altis. I think as suggested you should look for option outside Toyota may be Bosch. If you get a run-rate of even 40k Kms it would be good. The brake issue is the only thing that muddles an otherwise stress free ownership experience. Do plan to meet since you'll be stationed in Baroda for quite some time. Tc

Last edited by abs182 : 18th April 2013 at 18:50.
Old 18th April 2013, 18:54   #176
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed 100% My 04 Corolla cannot handle even a little bit of enthusiastic drive!

Quote:
The discs are available for around 2k in delhi and the pads for 1.5k. So all I need to do is to find a good mechanic here in Vadodara.
What I do is get hold of Toyota dealership mechanics, many of them carry out jobs outside the agency. A few run their own small workshops & others do freelancing at customers place or any other garages.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 19:22   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
But Mohit your anxiety about the brake pads and disc is understandable as its the problem across the corolla family both the classic and the Altis. I think as suggested you should look for option outside Toyota may be Bosch. If you get a run-rate of even 40k Kms it would be good.
It was a pleasure meeting you too. I didn't expect to bump into a BHPian as I had failed to spot any car here in Vadodara till now. Hey by any chance do you know of any good mechanic outside in the city who carries out brake related work? I can source the parts from Delhi without any problem. The other option is to drive down to Delhi itself which is exciting but at a 99% guarantee of losing my precious Vkools.
Old 19th April 2013, 02:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even my car hasn't needed any wheel balancing or alignment yet and the tyres look good. From what I have gathered from all the feedback here is exactly what you are suggesting and hence I am thinking of going for the aftermarket option for this change too.
Make a habit of getting it done every 7.5k kms. In the long run, it will save your tyres, suspension components etc. Don't wait for the car to show up the problem.

Quote:
The other option is to drive down to Delhi itself which is exciting but at a 99% guarantee of losing my precious Vkools.
Arey, why take tension. Only side films will go and yes, your altis AC chills the car in no time. Remember, when we went to ring road honda for brio TD

BTW, Get hang of a good mechanic there and get the discs checked. Discs can't go in 20k, Nor you are facing any shudder or squeaking noise from discs. I guess they are fine. Or Inspect them yourself, if there is any lines on it or not. If there are, then get them skimmed instead of changing the discs.

And, the figure quoted for pads is too steep. Go aftermarket way, Take pads from here on one of your trips. Or better get the car here and take the sunny back (22 FE)
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 10:52   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It will be affected only on the related parts of your brake pads. So, it's a risk worth taking, since you save a lot of money on it. But, do ensure that you don't compromise on the following aspects.
  • Quality
  • The fit ( It should exactly be the same )

Quote:
It's not as good as the Innova/Fortuner because they are MUV/SUV which are designed to handle more abuse while the Corolla is a sedan. Both serves different purpose. If you compare it with other sedans in its class, it's one of the most reliable sedans ( except for the brake pads ). Even in the case of brake pads, compare it with Cruze and you'll understand that it's the same story there as well.

My experience with Etios ( where Toyota has supposedly done cost cutting ) is fabulous in terms of reliability. Since, I come from a family which has used Marutis for 2 decades, the quality difference on the Etios is quite obvious. Roads in Kerala tend to crack all over after every monsoon. The probability that your car could crash on a surprise pot hole is very high because the depth and shape of the pot hole change very frequently. With my Esteem and my friend's Swift, every time I take such a pot hole at high speed, I expect a damage, and probably come up with some issue after 2 or 3 such hits. With the Etios, it's hassle free all this while. No lower arm issues, no tie rod issues, no steering rattles. Everything has held up perfectly even after the abuse the vehicle is taking. Even the alignment stays put. Only slight deviations from the original.

Even the famous thud sound issue with suspensions on Etios, Toyota got it corrected by replacing it free under warranty with a modified design. For people who complain of sagging issue when fully loaded, Toyota designed a suspension and made it available at a cost. So, if people want a non-sagging car at the cost of some comfort, they can opt for it. I like the way Toyota is owning any issues if at all they come up.

Even though, Corolla doesn't use life time fuel filters like in the case of Innova / Etios, your 20,000 kms service bill was still just 3,800. Try comparing that with a Maruti ( even several several segments below ) and you will understand the difference. Parts replacement is a norm in Maruti with a huge list of replacements every time you take the car for service.

Quote:
So may be its just the disappointment speaking right now.

PS: I do love the car
Brake disc wear is out of sheer unluck. But, I would still recommend that you fight with the SA to see if it can be replaced under warranty ( especially since you have not used up your brake pads ). Even though Toyota sticks by processes and rules in most cases, I know of cases where they have went out of the way to help certain customers.

Quote:
@drmohitg - Also, see if a lathe work can solve the issue. I have done the same twice on my old Esteem and it lasted for around 1.15 Lakh kms ( still running fine ). This shouldn't cost you more than 1 k and should be the better option than going for after market discs.

Last edited by amalji : 19th April 2013 at 11:04.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 12:20   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Yea I am going the aftermarket way. Now the only thing left is to find a good mechanic here in Vadodara whom I can trust with my car since I would not be able to donate time during the repair process. I knew of several in Delhi but finding one here is the challenge. Got a reference for a mechanic in Surat. If I don't find any good person in Vadodara then would make a trip to Surat. Or in the utmost scenario would not mind driving down to Delhi too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks