Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th September 2019, 17:09   #286
BHPian

Default Re: My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Toyota is loved in our home probable because since 2005 (our first Toyota) they have never given us any trouble at all. The Altis Diesel is a great car - spacious, comfortable and fuss free.
We too looking for a similar experience. VW/Skoda are luring but it shall always dent the pocket post a certain shelf life. Moreover, between Etios Platinum Diesel and Corolla Altis there is no Toyota Diesel car. Etios Platinum although a segment lower is bare bones, even the top end or else we may have even considered it. The higher list price of Altis is worth?

Quote:
Spares are not cheap but at par with the segment, perhaps less than VW/Skoda. Average yearly/10k km service cost would be approx. 5-7k.

My vote is a yes if you are looking for a car from that segment.
Thank you. 5-7K is as good as a premium hatchback, which is great for a D segment sedan. The major wear and tear parts would be the clutch kit, brake pads and suspensions. Approximately how are they priced?

After few strings pulled, got details of a pre owned Corolla Altis D of 2016 but have been driven 1.45 lakh Kms. The dealer is asking 9.5 Lakhs for it. Time is fine with us but 1.45 Lakhs is a lot (may be not for a Toyota)

Thank you for the details. I have been reading the thread and trying to get as much as I can to make a near perfect decision.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 16th September 2019 at 17:25. Reason: Addition
VWAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2019, 18:27   #287

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
You will have to provide more details like year of manufacturing. It this the diesel variant you are talking about? 28000 kms is a bit too less for a steering noise. My car had absolutely no rattles at 90k km when I sold it. The brake pads would cost you approx. 15k and IIRC the ORVM costs around 30k ( you can check with your local Toyota after sales service to know the present cost).
Sir itís G variant Petrol of 2011. Done 28000kms. Asking was 4.50 and I got it down to 3.80 considering that I will take the car as it is. Which means Iíll have to sort out the steering box issue, replace new brake pads and the orvm. Should I go for it ?
I am so sorry for bugging you with my questions. I donít want to go wrong with the purchase as we are facing some financial issues and I canít find any better place than team Bhp to clarify my doubts!

Thank you.
Tulok
Tulok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2019, 20:32   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulok View Post
looking for a corolla altis. I got one that has done 28000kms. I guess itís G model, The brake pads needs too be changed. The steering makes rattles in bad roads and the left side orvm is damaged. Kms done is genuine as He is a neighbour of ours, the car was used for his office duties.
I think it is not the steering rattle that you're hearing; it is rattle from the brake caliper pins.

While driving on bad roads, press the brake slightly and see if the noise disappears. If yes, then the pads are partially worn out.

The ORVM needs replacement only if it is non functional, doesn't open close on actuating the switch, orthe assembly has broken off.

If it is just the indicator lens that is broken just carry on.

ORVM assembly should be approx 19,000 rupees.
If it is only the mirror cover that is damaged, that would be 1,500 rupees and the ORVM indicator assembly is again approx 1,500 rupees.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2019, 22:04   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I think it is not the steering rattle that you're hearing; it is rattle from the brake caliper pins.
Thank you for your concern, sir.

I will try that tomorrow before finalizing the deal. But I guess it’s only from the steering box since the steering also vibrates. The brake pads needs to be replaced, it’s making that strange noise of two iron scratching against each other. And the ORVM, I guess some car just broke the whole thing.
So should I go for it for 3.80 ?

And regarding the ORVM I found some at OLX. Quoting was around 5-6 k for the automatic ORVM. What do you guys have to say about that ?

Thanks.
Tulok

Last edited by Tulok : 16th September 2019 at 22:07. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 18th September 2019, 09:15   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulok View Post
I will try that tomorrow before finalizing the deal. But I guess itís only from the steering box since the steering also vibrates. The brake pads needs to be replaced, itís making that strange noise of two iron scratching against each other. And the ORVM, I guess some car just broke the whole thing. So should I go for it for 3.80 ?
The steering assembly including the electric power assist motor is an expensive part. I would get it checked before finalising. The assembly is known to give problems if the car is used on very rough roads.

The other cause could be tie rods and bushings. Get those checked too.

Brake pads and rotors need to be checked. The grating sound is a classic case of worn out pad backing plates contacting the rotor. This will score the rotor which needs to be resurfaced or if the rotor is beyond its service life, replaced. Rotors cost about 5-6K a piece and genuine brake pads are about 7 to 9K for a set depending on which one you change (front or rear).

Quote:
And regarding the ORVM I found some at OLX. Quoting was around 5-6 k for the automatic ORVM. What do you guys have to say about that ?
If the mirror assembly isn't operating automatically i.e. via the switch you can chose to operate them manually. As @vigsom said the assembly costs about 19-20K each.

Toyota replacement parts (not consumables) are expensive.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2019, 11:17   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The steering assembly including the electric power assist motor is an expensive part. I would get it checked before finalising. The assembly is known to give problems if the car is used on very rough roads.

The other cause could be tie rods and bushings. Get those checked too.

Brake pads and rotors need to be checked. The grating sound is a classic case of worn out pad backing plates contacting the rotor. This will score the rotor which needs to be resurfaced or if the rotor is beyond its service life, replaced. Rotors cost about 5-6K a piece and genuine brake pads are about 7 to 9K for a set depending on which one you change (front or rear).

If the mirror assembly isn't operating automatically i.e. via the switch you can chose to operate them manually. As @vigsom said the assembly costs about 19-20K each.

Toyota replacement parts (not consumables) are expensive.
Ok, thank you so much sir for your valuable advice. Today, I’ll go and check it at a reputed garage as we don’t have A.S.S of Toyota in my town. It’s around 70+ kms away from here.

I still didn’t finalise it because I had doubts about the steering and now that I have got some clue, I am glad that I didn’t finalise the deal. Thank you so much again guys!

Will update about the purchase later.

Thank you.
Tulok

Last edited by Aditya : 18th September 2019 at 16:40. Reason: Grammar
Tulok is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2019, 23:26   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
The higher list price of Altis is worth?
That is for you to decide. If you want to go into the D segment then why not. If you ask me, then I will opt for a cross over SUV like the Seltos rather than a new Altis in today's car market.

Quote:
After few strings pulled, got details of a pre owned Corolla Altis D of 2016 but have been driven 1.45 lakh Kms. The dealer is asking 9.5 Lakhs for it. Time is fine with us but 1.45 Lakhs is a lot (may be not for a Toyota)
Regardless of the brand, I would never buy a car done 1.5L kms and that too @ close to 10L asking price. Look around in the NCR and you will find a car run half with price under 5L due to the NGT rule.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2019, 19:00   #293

Hi dr. Mohit, I bought a diesel altis based on your thread in 2013 January. Has served me faithfully and I have kept it in good condition. Was looking to sell it and wanted to get an idea from you as to the price I might get. It's done 52000 KM's, Gurgaon Regn. Thanks in advance
mohananuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2019, 18:54   #294

So sorry for violating the rules of the forum. It was my carelessness and I will make sure to be careful in future. Anyways thank you so much guys for your valuable inputs. I just wanted to let you guys know that I just got the corolla altis that I was referring to in my earlier queries. Realising the fact that it got some issues with the steering box, I had to it to close the deal at 3.80 due to some unavoidable circumstances. I just got the brake pads changed and the car drives like a brand new car except for the sound from the steering box, which I will soon look into. And I am looking forward to a happy ownership with the help of you guys.

Regards.
Tulok.