Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2011, 14:24   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Since taking delivery of the car, almost 2 months now, I somehow forgot to check the tyre pressure. Finally got it checked today and was shocked to see 46 all around when Toyota recommends 33 psi. Got it reduced to 33 psi but since then I am somehow not enjoying the car as much as before. The tyre noise has increased slightly ( although this may be my illusion). Also I suddenly feel as if I am running on deflated tyres. I am not sure how to describe the feeling but the ride has somewhat got a little damp, slow and unexciting.
So I wanted to ask you guys if this is just a momentary feeling since I must have got used to the 46psi in the last 2500 kms?
Also will it be harmful to the car or the tyres if I increase the tyre pressure back to 46 psi? Or atleast 40-42psi? And will this effect the FE of the car?

Is tyre noise related to the pressure in the tyres? In my case I am feeling increased noise at the recommended psi levels.

Looking forward to some inputs. Thanks.

40 -42 psi absolutely no problem on tubeless tires. I know exactly how you feel with that deflated tire feeling at lower pressures. This is especially true for the way Toyota tunes it s suspension.
Toyota service dealerships in the middle east run 40psi on all suv's. I guess it applies to cars also. This is inspite of ambient temperatures there running well above 50'c.
I guess you will enjoy your ride at 40 psi and also get good fuel economy.

Cheers,
Jay
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 14:35   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
40 -42 psi absolutely no problem on tubeless tires. I know exactly how you feel with that deflated tire feeling at lower pressures. This is especially true for the way Toyota tunes it s suspension.
Toyota service dealerships in the middle east run 40psi on all suv's. I guess it applies to cars also. This is inspite of ambient temperatures there running well above 50'c.
I guess you will enjoy your ride at 40 psi and also get good fuel economy.

Cheers,
Jay
Thanks for that informative post. I too feel 40 psi will not hurt the car. For instance VW has always recommended higher psi values than most other car makers and they follow it even in India.

What I have decided is to probably drive a little on 33 psi and then if I continue to feel the same way about it, I will start increasing it gradually till 40 psi and settle at whatever level feels like a good compromise.
Old 7th December 2011, 11:36   #93

Guys
It is interesting to read all the posts. I bought the petrol version and I have no regrets with the performance of the car. Well the FE and cost of petrol are factors that has become an issue as the previous car I had was Honda City. I am yet to calculate the FE on the highway. I have done several trips between Mumbai and Pune. At 120 KM and 140 KM the road grip and confidence level is superb that one has to control and bring the speed down to be well within the law. Between end July and now I have done almost 8000 KM. Next service is at 10,000 KM and need to see how the car works post that.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:09   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

According to the owner's manual the headlight setting should be at .5 with just the driver in the car. Since I am usually alone driving the car this is the setting I drive on. But off late I have noticed many cars giving me a dipper to lower my lights ( probably). I dip back indicating them that I am driving on low beam itself. Does this mean my lights are not focused properly?

Otherwise the car has completed 3700 kms now. I increased the tire pressure back to 35 psi and I am more happy with the car's feedback now. No issues at all. The FE as usual has been phenomenal and I am getting 20 kmpl right now. But thats also because in I leave early in the morning for work when the traffic is relatively less although while returning I have to almost crawl for 20 kms. But on a confident note this car can easily return you a constant figure of 15 kmpl regardless of the traffic.

In the morning when i start the car and the engine is cold I have noticed a slight whistling sound as I press the accelerator. It goes off once the engine gets to its proper temperature. Any idea on the source of this nosie? The sound is very soft and if I turn on the radio then I cant hear it.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 20:38   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Mohit long time! 35 psi is just perfect I think and 20 kmpl is an awe-inspiring mileage that too for a new car (my Vento has not stabilised at around 12 kmpl which I am absolutely thrilled with, so can imagine how you feel!).

Saw some of the pics for the first time and your car is a true stunner! Frankly if it were priced around 2 lac cheaper I'd have gone ahead and bought the 7-speed AT petrol variant of this!
Old 20th December 2011, 23:09   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Hey Mohit long time! 35 psi is just perfect I think and 20 kmpl is an awe-inspiring mileage that too for a new car (my Vento has not stabilised at around 12 kmpl which I am absolutely thrilled with, so can imagine how you feel!).

Saw some of the pics for the first time and your car is a true stunner! Frankly if it were priced around 2 lac cheaper I'd have gone ahead and bought the 7-speed AT petrol variant of this!
Hey thanks for dropping by the thread. Yea man I am really glad that we finally bought this car ( although technically for Dad but I guess till another new car comes he will have to wait ;D ).

The mileage is something thats mindboggling. All the uncles and aunts in my family have sat in the car to take a look for themselves at the MID. None of them is ready to believe the figures. Its pure bliss to see the fuel needle not even reach half and the car has already done 480 kms as of today evening.
How's your Fraulein doing?
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:14   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

A real funny thing happened today on way to work in the morning. I started the car and after 10 minutes suddenly a beep started coming. Got really alarmed and started cursing Toyota for apparently going easy on its quality standards. I parked the car on the side and started a frantic search for the source of the noise which had only increased. To my surprise there was no indicator on the MID and I couldn't figure out what went wrong. Tired and puzzled I started searching for the Toyota's helpline number when suddenly I happened to notice the passenger seat belt sign blinking. I had kept some of my books on the front seat and the sensor had gone off. What a relief it was! After a huge sigh of relief I safely secured my books with the seat belt and drove off to work.
Old 22nd December 2011, 22:20   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ That'll teach you to buckle 'em books in safely next time!

Fraulein's doing fine, touch wood. I got a similar shock on my life when the MID started issuing a long, melodious beep warning everytime I started the car. realised quickly it does that when DTE touches 50 or so.
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:22   #99
BHPian

^^ I am glad sometimes that the vento does not have the seat belt monitor as There are a lof of times i have a lot of stuff on the front seat.

@mohit: Congratulations on the car. This car has been on my radar for last couple of months and if at all I am not able to buy a good SUV, there is a big possiblity that this car might become part of my garage
subodh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 14:31   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

6 month update

So finally my Altis completed its 6 months. The car has completed 6600 kms till date and each of them have just made me feel happy for choosing this car. Its doing its job perfectly well and there are no issues to report whatsoever. The FE has been phenomenal and the car has returned me a constant 18.5-19 kmpl in the city. Just returned from a 600 km trip to Khatu Shyam ji ( near Jaipur). This time it was much more pleasant to take her on the highway than what it was the first time since then I was trying to not push the car beyond 2000 rpms. This time around I revved her up pretty nicely and as a result the overall FE stayed at 19.3 kmpl ( the last time it was 21.2kmpl with sedate driving). The best part about the car on the highway is surely the 6 speed gearbox as the drive feels very relaxed. You can cruise at 120-140 all day in 6th gear with the Rpm needle hovering between 2000-2500 and hence the engine sounds really smooth. It also allows you to still keep up some reserve turbo for overtaking.

We had to pick a relative and a little luggage from Jaipur on our way back. To my surprise the car scraped 2 bumpers which it had easily negotiated in the morning. But to give it credit those were indeed giant bumpers. Still the famed GC of 175mm is not really 175mm in real life I guess. May be the soft suspensions are to be blamed here.

The Vkool sunfilms worked great and the car chills in no time. I have to still get parking sensors fixed but unable to find something that matches the pearl white shade of the car. I don't want to put black or white coloured sensors since they kind of look cheap to me.

Looking forward to reaching the 10k mark soon.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 16:42   #101
AWD
BHPian

Heard from a dealer that Toyota has silently made some changes(engine components) to the diesel Altis & its internal name is Altis typeII. Don't know how true!

Do check the engine oil levels yourself & frequently.
Old 10th March 2012, 17:16   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Heard from a dealer that Toyota has silently made some changes(engine components) to the diesel Altis & its internal name is Altis typeII. Don't know how true!

Do check the engine oil levels yourself & frequently.
You mean to say they are changing the Engine and finally bringing in a 2L unit? There have rumors about the same since a couple of years now.

I do check the oil levels. Any reason why you choose to mention the same in particular an frequently? Anything I should be worried about?
Old 10th March 2012, 17:44   #103
AWD
BHPian

No, changes have been made to the present engine & its already selling. Internally its called Altis TypeII, Toyota won't give an official word on this but the move came because Diesel Altis had complaints coming in on excessive engine oil consumption.

My two friends experienced the same problem in their cars. Engine of one car seized. Toyota changed the engine but engine oil dipping did not end.

If your car is running well, you are lucky. Nothing to worry! I was myself inclined towards Altis diesel but the said news kept me away.
Old 10th March 2012, 18:20   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
No, changes have been made to the present engine & its already selling. Internally its called Altis TypeII, Toyota won't give an official word on this but the move came because Diesel Altis had complaints coming in on excessive engine oil consumption.

My two friends experienced the same problem in their cars. Engine of one car seized. Toyota changed the engine but engine oil dipping did not end.

If your car is running well, you are lucky. Nothing to worry! I was myself inclined towards Altis diesel but the said news kept me away.
Dude thats scary. I am hearing about this for the first time. Any idea if this was a problem for only a batch or in all diesel cars? What was the batch of your friends car?

Also has the supposedly new car started selling already? My car was bought is sept,2011.

Mods and other members: Has anyone else got any information on the same? I remember we had a member who was associated with Toyota. Unable to recall his name. Can anyone help me with that?

Last edited by drmohitg : 10th March 2012 at 18:21.
Old 10th March 2012, 18:46   #105
AWD
BHPian

Please avoid that "dude" thing, Im more of a chip from the old block.

I was shocked too when I heard the story. My friends car was bought last year. New cars on sale this year are upgraded(this is what I could gather, can't gurantee on right or wrong).

Your call for Toyota associates, etc. will go unheard or even if its answered, Toyota will never accept such a thing. This is all from user-experiences, try & locate fellow Altis owners & have a word with them.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed