Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 12:59   #136
BHPian

re: My new Toyota Altis D-4D: The first one on TBHP! EDIT: Sold!

Dear Mohit,
We got a D4D in the family in august 2011, exactly a month prior to your vehicle delivery. I don't have a dedicated ownership thread like yours, but have been following yours closely. I have done, 23,400 kms, till now, and majority of this has been self driven. When ever driver drove it, somebody of our family was always present. Like you, I also service my vehicle from galaxy toyota, Moti nagar.

I had my 20000 kms. service just before dussera. During my routine service, i was told that the rear brake pads have worn out and they need replacement, also, the disc brakes need skimming. On detailed enquiry, it was found that, brake pads still had 3mm left. As we needed the vehicle during durga puja, (i'm a bengali), i promised to bring the car back after puja for the necessary change. I was also informed that 3mm of brake pads would last me 2000 to 2500 kms.

I recently took the car for brake pad change and skimming after driving it around for 3000 km, and to my horror, was told that the discs also need to be changed.

Discs to be changed after 23000 kms. is new to me, even break pads wearing off after 23000 kms is also not natural. 30000 - 35000 kms., acceptable.

The reason given by Galaxy toyota was, driving style, because of which the brakes have worn out so quickly.

It is self driven as mentioned earlier. This car is no road rocket, and if driven badly, how come only the rear disc brake and pads get affected, where as my tyres, suspensions and other parts are as good as new!!!

Have you or any other Altis owner in this forum, faced this problem of discs wearing out by 23000 kms??

When enquired regarding brake pads, galaxy toyota SA said this is a common problem with altis brake pads wearing off by 24000 kms, but discs, i still cant digest. the discs cost a whopping 10K, if after every 20K odd kms, if this becomes a recurring cost, then something is wrong somewhere.
Old 17th December 2012, 16:24   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya sinha View Post
the discs cost a whopping 10K, if after every 20K odd kms, if this becomes a recurring cost, then something is wrong somewhere.
Strange.
Rear brake pads and discs gone in 24000 KM?
And why would the rear ones go before the front ones? Is Altis RWD?
Check your handbrake. Does it remain stuck or something? But handbrake generally operates rear drums (I may be wrong). The rear brakes in Altis are drum-in-disc?

BTW, 10K is high. My Tucson's brake discs cost less than that.
Old 17th December 2012, 17:21   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I recently took the car for brake pad change and skimming after driving it around for 3000 km, and to my horror, was told that the discs also need to be changed.

Discs to be changed after 23000 kms. is new to me, even break pads wearing off after 23000 kms is also not natural. 30000 - 35000 kms., acceptable.

The reason given by Galaxy toyota was, driving style, because of which the brakes have worn out so quickly.

It is self driven as mentioned earlier. This car is no road rocket, and if driven badly, how come only the rear disc brake and pads get affected, where as my tyres, suspensions and other parts are as good as new!!!

Have you or any other Altis owner in this forum, faced this problem of discs wearing out by 23000 kms??
This is scary. And I have come to believe that this is indeed a problem area in the Altis since a lot of members on the forum have also had to get the brake pads changed at around 15-20k kms.

The worst part is, as you have rightly pointed out, that this is no diesel rocket. I doubt any owner would buy this for drag racing. So there is no reason for the brake pads to worn out so quickly. The discs also wearing out seems to be because of the dealers mistake here for probably letting you drive on with worn out pads.

Can you share the break up of costs? I think you should put a mail to Toyota regarding the same. This just means that the quality of parts has gone down drastically. Probably in that case you are much better to source the parts from outside as it will be much cheaper.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:06   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This is scary. And I have come to believe that this is indeed a problem area in the Altis since a lot of members on the forum have also had to get the brake pads changed at around 15-20k kms.

The worst part is, as you have rightly pointed out, that this is no diesel rocket. I doubt any owner would buy this for drag racing. So there is no reason for the brake pads to worn out so quickly. The discs also wearing out seems to be because of the dealers mistake here for probably letting you drive on with worn out pads.

Can you share the break up of costs? I think you should put a mail to Toyota regarding the same. This just means that the quality of parts has gone down drastically. Probably in that case you are much better to source the parts from outside as it will be much cheaper.
I guess the 3mm brake pads life left wont cause damage to the discs unless there was uneven wear and tear earlier. Also this brake thingy is very psychological and I suspect the dealership to make money on this as this is an easy sell for them (Note: this is not restricted to Toyota, the TATA service centers are notorious to do this).

A couple of points to ponder over.

1) Also rear brakes wear out so early is a cause for concern. Are the hand brakes working as it is intended and not eating away the brake pads?

2) The front brakes get more stopping power than the rear, in which case, the rear brake pads are supposed to have longer life than the rear ones. But this case seems weird.

Chanding discs along with the brake pads is a costly affair on the Altis.

I have seen this in the service centers when an Altis owner had a heated arguement with the SA.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:16   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I guess the 3mm brake pads life left wont cause damage to the discs unless there was uneven wear and tear earlier. Also this brake thingy is very psychological and I suspect the dealership to make money on this as this is an easy sell for them (Note: this is not restricted to Toyota, the TATA service centers are notorious to do this).
+1. Gauging the life of your break pads is one of those grey areas where dealerships take the customers for a ride ever so often. As a customer its a very tricky situation specially since most people ( including me in this case) are not well versed with the dynamics of the break pad as to how much thickness is optimum or how much will the break pad suffer in x number of kms.
It is here where you want to trust the SA since the next thing they tell you to play with your psyche is the potential harm to the discs and so on.

But regardless of the style of driving break pads ought to stay good for atleast 30-40k kms specially in a underpowered car like the Altis.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:25   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1. Gauging the life of your break pads is one of those grey areas where dealerships take the customers for a ride ever so often. As a customer its a very tricky situation specially since most people ( including me in this case) are not well versed with the dynamics of the break pad as to how much thickness is optimum or how much will the break pad suffer in x number of kms.
It is here where you want to trust the SA since the next thing they tell you to play with your psyche is the potential harm to the discs and so on.

But regardless of the style of driving break pads ought to stay good for atleast 30-40k kms specially in a underpowered car like the Altis.
Its difficult to gauge the life of the brake pads as a customer and the customer depends on the SA. However, since the customer is not in a position to gauge it, the SA takes advantage and uses it to his advantage and increases the bill by pushing for replacements.

I keep track of the brake pad state and disc too (not too difficult with the alloy wheels) quite often in all my cars to ensure, they SA dont fool around pushing such things across.

And completely agree, even with the best of braking abilities a mass production car is supposed to give a life of atleast 30K kms.

Again braking habits also matter, but not the extent where the brakes and discs wear out at 15-18K kms.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:31   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Mohit,
...I had my 20000 kms. service just before dussera. During my routine service, i was told that the rear brake pads have worn out and they need replacement, also, the disc brakes need skimming. On detailed enquiry, it was found that, brake pads still had 3mm left. As we needed the vehicle during durga puja, (i'm a bengali), i promised to bring the car back after puja for the necessary change. I was also informed that 3mm of brake pads would last me 2000 to 2500 kms.

Discs to be changed after 23000 kms. is new to me, even break pads wearing off after 23000 kms is also not natural. 30000 - 35000 kms., acceptable...

Though I am not an Altis owner but I drive the previous version Corolla. I too had got the brake pads replaced after 25000 Kms. As I was getting a strange iron saw kind of sound when brakes were applied. I went to check in the service station the very next day, they said this is common in corollas. Though they only changed the brake pads nothing else. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Zappo : 18th December 2012 at 13:49. Reason: Please do not quote an entire post to reply to a part of it
Old 17th December 2012, 19:43   #143
BHPian

How about using aftermarket break pads from Bosch. They cost significantly less and are good. Will these affect warranty? On my bale I that I recently sold, I had got the brake pads replaced after 75000 kms. And it costed me 1200. Maruti was quoting around 8000.
Old 17th December 2012, 21:51   #144
AWD
BHPian

I've been using aftermarket Brake pads on my previous gen. Corolla. Costed me ~1.5k. This is the 1st change & Im on 75k kms. Got service done at 72k KMs & service technician told me the pads would last another 10k kms.

Original pads from Toyota costed ~ 8.5k + Labour, there was no way I would have opted for these in-lieu of after-market ones.
Old 17th December 2012, 23:20   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

So which are the best options in the market if one does not choose to go with the Toyota genuine part? I am sure they would say that it would void warranty but then one cannot keep getting the brake pads changed so frequently. Beats the whole concept of "cheap to maintain".
Old 17th December 2012, 23:27   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So which are the best options in the market if one does not choose to go with the Toyota genuine part? I am sure they would say that it would void warranty but then one cannot keep getting the brake pads changed so frequently. Beats the whole concept of "cheap to maintain".
I guess BOSCH one would be the safest bet. Or search around in market, If you can find OEM pads, I am pretty sure they will cost significantly less out side compares to A.S.S
Old 17th December 2012, 23:30   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
I guess BOSCH one would be the safest bet. Or search around in market, If you can find OEM pads, I am pretty sure they will cost significantly less out side compares to A.S.S
Are Toyota genuine parts available outside? I don't think they are. I guess Bosch is the best bet then. Lets see how long the brake pads on my car last. Its done 14k km and no problems as yet with the brakes.
Old 17th December 2012, 23:34   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are Toyota genuine parts available outside? I don't think they are. I guess Bosch is the best bet then. Lets see how long the brake pads on my car last. Its done 14k km and no problems as yet with the brakes.
I'll confirm, If they are available or not. But Hyundai parts are, except for fog lamps, I can almost buy every genuine part outside.

Even, I asked for brake pads for pre Altis corolla for a friend and Shopkeeper said, Front-1400 and Rear-1000. But i forgot to Ask, whether they were genuine or not.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 23:57   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Its difficult to gauge the life of the brake pads as a customer and the customer depends on the SA. However, since the customer is not in a position to gauge it, the SA takes advantage and uses it to his advantage and increases the bill by pushing for replacements.

I keep track of the brake pad state and disc too (not too difficult with the alloy wheels) quite often in all my cars to ensure, they SA dont fool around pushing such things across.

And completely agree, even with the best of braking abilities a mass production car is supposed to give a life of atleast 30K kms.

Again braking habits also matter, but not the extent where the brakes and discs wear out at 15-18K kms.
It would not be wrong to say that the SA fleecing me did not come to my mind, because when the final bill was being discussed, every other body who enquired what the job was, would go like, "Oh!!!, its the break pad thing huh".
I have brought back the old discs with me. I shall very soon be posting pictures of the same. Then i would invite comments on the state they are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I've been using aftermarket Brake pads on my previous gen. Corolla. Costed me ~1.5k. This is the 1st change & Im on 75k kms. Got service done at 72k KMs & service technician told me the pads would last another 10k kms.

Original pads from Toyota costed ~ 8.5k + Labour, there was no way I would have opted for these in-lieu of after-market ones.
I enquired about the warranty of these brake pads, it is extended to us till about the general warranty of the car lasts. In case one takes extended warranty, break pads and discs are not included. As such, dealership it seems, are offered a warranty on the discs for 10K kms or 1 year which ever is earlier.

How can both of them wear off at the same time, if fitted properly, is what puzzles me?

There is no problem with my hand brake as such. But how do one test it? The other day i was standing on the ramp with my hand brakes on, my baba got into the front seat rather heavily, and the brake slipped, i had to pull it up a notch higher. My baba weighs 105 kgs!!

The pads cost me 7k including labour, and the discd cost me 9K+ with labour.
Old 18th December 2012, 09:05   #150
Senior - BHPian

^
Just to add my 2 cents to the brake pad discussion. I have used after market brake pads on my previous Corolla without any issues. Total cost was about 2k including lathe facing of the brake plates. No sense getting fleeced by the exorbitant Toyota ASC charges, at least in the case of brake pads. Good quality ones are easily available after-market.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks