Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 11:09   #91
BHPian

Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Update is that the ICE issue mentioned yday has been sorted out by replacing the USB port.Now its working fine. They offered a pickup and drop to service station to do the clutch/gear. I have told them that i want to go there myself to check the facility, plus not too comfy in giving it to a M&M driver ..The new car syndrome :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Congratulations Mannubhai. The black(I believe) XUV500 looks cute.How about the drive comfort and FE? .
Too early for an FE i suppose. It has an FE indicator. Post first service i would start monitoring it Drive comfort is awesome. I took it on a drive in the elevated highway yday night till hosur and it flew

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I just have a question regarding the FWD layout. The XUV is a long and heavy vehicle, so do u get wheel spin when starting off from 1st gear or when cornering a little hard? Also when dealing with inclines, how is the grip level? Any info regarding this issue would be of immense help.

Also can you do a break up of the OTR price please?

ex-showroom price = 1090914
Road tax= 212355
Insurance= 18000 ( I took it from outside)
other expenses = 6500
Total On road price = 13.27 lakhs

Thanking you in advance, amrish
There is no wheel spin that I have noticed so far. Have not heard any TD report mentioning that either. Its gripping well, but not sure of the behavior in inclines .We in Bangalore have to handle only potholes,humps and nasty auto walas :P . Have added the prices in bold .

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Definately a wise decision considering the decade old platform and the breand new monocoque construction, which makes it behave like a sedan, I just wish there could be a little more space for some amount of luggage with 7 seats.

We should take the Mamba & Nightfury (My Manza) on the prowl together sometime
A prowl in the darkest hours of night ?? WHo will be the prey .. Im game . Will plan that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Is the relationship manager the same person with whom dealt with while booking (SA) or was he assigned to you when you took the delivery?
RM is not the SE. He is assigned at delivery. Good followups so far. More like the Wealth Manager concept of banks . Not sure how would they handle considering the volumes that would be churned out in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Congrats Mannu bhai .

U will be like the Onida Ad " Bangalore Envy - Owners Pride " Probably ur will be the first 10-25 XUV to be delivered in Bangalore . So heads will turn . Lot of eye balls on ur Car Enjoy the attention as only a hand ful will get to drive this car this month

Great Happy Deepavali Gift -

Did the Service advisers from IG suggest any speed limit for the brand new vehicle ( Like drive it with in 2.5 K RPM for first 5K Kms )
I asked them of the speed regulations. He came up with a rather vague reply to restrict speed under 100 kmph till 5000 kms which is the 1st service. His logic is that you should push the engine only post the first engine oil change. Experts, pls advice on this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It's infact XUV 500 [with zeros], but pronounced as 5 Double Ohh [Bond style]

I was looking at the opening pic and feel the car is NOT very big! Is it the stance and the bonnet which gives the feel ? How different or taller will the seating position compared to tall boy cars?

PS:: Is there a way we could get some comparo pics shot with XUV 500 and some other cars side by side?
The car is big by its standards. A tad shorter than scorpio , a tad small in length compared to the safari. Its a beast of a different kind i would say. Pics does not give justice to the XUV. You need to see it in flesh.

Manson has put a snap of his scorp and XUV in the TD thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Congratulations Manoj. The XUV in black is a 'Killer'. Any freebies or corporate offers, on this purchase?

What other interior option do you get, with the Black colour, apart from beige (its called walnut interiors?).

Wish you miles of happiness and please post more pictures. That's the only treat we can expect from you.
No freebies/offers with XUV. Its more like, you are lucky to get one, so take it and start off .

The interiors are walnut color and suits the black to perfection. Interior pics and few more shots coming. Have taken my camera along..So hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Congrats Mannubhai on owning this monster FIRST on T-Bhp!! How is the blind spot in the XUV? Also how is the rear view?
Visibility wise the XUV is extremely good. Im 6 feet , so that adds to the clearance. Blind spots very manageable, feels better than my old indigo

Rear view is bad. You have to remove the head rest of the centre seat in the mid row for better view. Reverse parking sensors are a boon.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st October 2011 at 20:30. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully before proceeding further, thanks
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 11:16   #92
BHPian

@ MannuBhai

Install a reverse camera . This will help u a lot . This gives better view . This is also safe keeping in mind obstacles which some times cannot be read through the reverse parking system . I am saying this after using the same system in my scorpio VLX system ( company installed reverse parking system )

No second thoughts about Handling . I have been using a Scorpio and used to high seats and heavy body role . The body role is minimal here ...

Wish u had W8 with ESP . Not sure if this handles differently in W6 .

Black is a nice color for XUV . I personally like Red . My wife was not happy with my Diamond White color of the Scorpio . I picked it up when she was out of country.

This time she has promised that our next car will be Red and it will be Red only . I asked if there is no Red " She said we will buy the car with a red color . Thank God XUV has a red option .

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st October 2011 at 20:28. Reason: Please avoid quotinga long post, specially when its on same page, thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 11:38   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

A prowl in the darkest hours of night ?? WHo will be the prey .. Im game . Will plan that .
Cool sure, then hop on to the meet thread here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...lore-213.html?

Something is brewing up for tonight
Old 21st October 2011, 13:16   #94
Senior - BHPian

congratulations on the XUV500!

please do post more pictures of the Mamba
Old 21st October 2011, 14:35   #95
BHPian

Quote:
I asked them of the speed regulations. He came up with a rather vague reply to restrict speed under 100 kmph till 5000 kms which is the 1st service. His logic is that you should push the engine only post the first engine oil change. Experts, pls advice on this part.
The running in restirctions could be similar to scorpio i.e.
- Dont not rev up immediately after starting - let engine idle for a few seconds, build gradually
- Do not drive over 100 kmph or 3/4 th of max speed
- No full throttle, sudden acceleration
- Don't drive at single speed for longer period, decrease/increase speed at intervals
- No hard braking for 300 km
- No towing for 2500 km
- After driving for long period do not turn the engine off immediately, let it idle for a minute or so.

Take good care of her during first 1000 km and she will serve you well.

I know the temptation to floor the pedal is too difficult to resist but please avoid.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 21st October 2011 at 14:37.
ScorpWarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 16:18   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I asked them of the speed regulations. He came up with a rather vague reply to restrict speed under 100 kmph till 5000 kms which is the 1st service.
Usually the car manual lists the table for Gear/Speed and the Run-In period. Usually, the run-in period varies, 1000-2000 km. It is best to observe the gear/speed ratios, do sedated and controlled driving in the run-in duration wherein do not revv/accelerate fast, do not brake hard (both should be linearly worked up/down), try to keep variable speeds for various durations like 5-10 mins 60kph, next 5-10 mins 50kph etc. And yes, try not to go above 80-90-100 in run-in duration. In city, it is anyway going to be variable ScorpWarp has given quite a nice overview of the things to be observed. But do consult the User Manual first, it can vary car to car although general guidelines are well known.

You also seem to have a superb deal on the Insurance. That must have some 50% NCB included. The normal quote is 41k from the co.

Last edited by parsh : 21st October 2011 at 16:37.
Old 21st October 2011, 17:05   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update is that the ICE issue mentioned yday has been sorted out by replacing the USB port.Now its working fine.

Good to know that, I had the issue with mine in the Scorpio but never did follow up so my USB nd SDcard remain non functional till date

The car is big by its standards. A tad shorter than scorpio ,

I thought it was slighly longer than the Scorpio.

No freebies/offers with XUV. Its more like, you are lucky to get one, so take it and start off.

Once the capacities are ramped up and the excitement dims, freebies will come in (a.k.a. the Vento)
Thanks for the updates, some comments in bold above
Old 21st October 2011, 19:03   #98
BHPian

Congrats MannuBhai! W6 to W8 what all are the differences? Alloys is one, ESP is another, what else?

And where are the interior photos? You promised them by today... :-)
Old 21st October 2011, 20:24   #99

My hearty congrats for your XUV... .. Upload some more snaps of interior with seats on and off..
Old 21st October 2011, 20:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
The running in restirctions could be similar to scorpio i.e.
- Don't drive at single speed for longer period, decrease/increase speed at intervals
-
Well, i am not understanding this request from Mahindra. If i commute to and fro from work, I drive in peak traffic. In peak traffic, in most cities, It is not possible to do more than single digit speeds, that too for a SUV type vehicle.

So is it expected that i do not drive the vehicle in traffic ?

Scorpio / XUV owners - your thoughts please

Example: some commuting from tambaram-Teynampet in Chennai or someoner say commuting from Bhandup to Andheri (Via Saki Naka) In Mumbai. These are some traffic prone routes and pretty difficult to cross 10kmph in peak hour on most days.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 21st October 2011 at 20:41.
Old 21st October 2011, 20:45   #101
BHPian

Congratulations on your new vehicle.

^^^Read single speed as same rpm. The same restriction applies for Honda CR-V and most other cars too.
Old 21st October 2011, 20:49   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Well, i am not understanding this request from Mahindra. If i commute to and fro from work, I drive in peak traffic. In peak traffic, in most cities, It is not possible to do more than single digit speeds, that too for a SUV type vehicle.

So is it expected that i do not drive the vehicle in traffic ?

Scorpio / XUV owners - your thoughts please

Example: some commuting from tambaram-Teynampet in Chennai or someoner say commuting from Bhandup to Andheri (Via Saki Naka) In Mumbai. These are some traffic prone routes and pretty difficult to cross 10kmph in peak hour on most days.
What he meant to say was not to drive at a constant speed all the time (for e.g. 20kmps). Keep increasing or decrease the speed. It doesn't mean that you cant go above single digit speeds. So in your case as you said you are most of the time in traffic, so you would end up doing variable speeds, so you should be good
Old 21st October 2011, 22:31   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
What he meant to say was not to drive at a constant speed all the time (for e.g. 20kmps). Keep increasing or decrease the speed. It doesn't mean that you cant go above single digit speeds. So in your case as you said you are most of the time in traffic, so you would end up doing variable speeds, so you should be good
Nitinralli has correctly clarified, thanks, what i meant was 'dont maintain constant/same speed for long duration'. M&M does not specify what is meant by 'long duration' though. In city traffic it is anyway not possible. But on highways avoid cruise control over long distances during running in period.

Last edited by ScorpWarp : 21st October 2011 at 22:39.
Old 21st October 2011, 22:46   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Congrats MannuBhai! W6 to W8 what all are the differences? Alloys is one, ESP is another, what else?

And where are the interior photos? You promised them by today... :-)
Here is the differences between W6 and W8 as provided by XUV5OO brochure
sorry for the bad scan quality.
Attached Thumbnails
XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-xuv.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2011, 08:31   #105
Senior - BHPian

Kindly update on -
1. Ergonomics
2. Driving comfort (clutch etc.)
3. Braking
4. FE