Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 22:49   #46
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV 500 - Moondust Silver - Loaded with chrome - first in Delhi

Hey Pankaj ,

Congrats and the ride looks butch . Superb alloys and ksomehow yes , the beast in silver looks awesome .

only one suggestion , The door guards oor the door protectors , they are somehow not fitting the over all look . They need to be parallel to the window line or need to be parallel to the base of the car . The are really spoiling the whole look of the car .

IN hindi they say - " aise hee aadaa tedha lagaa diya " , if you think the same please restore some symmetry .
Old 26th October 2011, 10:27   #47
BHPian

Pankaj, congrats for the purchase. Awesome this ride is. Looks amazing in silver and those alloys are just too good. I think you made the right decision of opting for this colour. I also initially thought that black would look the best on XUV but once I saw an XUV in white, I just loved it and thought white, silver look much better. Have many miles of trouble free ownership!
Old 26th October 2011, 19:04   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
And guess what the ABS light come up randomly and stays on till I cut the engine and restart.
I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. In our test XUV500, the ESP, hill descent & rear air-con electronics acted funny from time to time. The problems cropped up unpredictably (were impossible to replicate). Mahindra better do what it can to sort out electronic niggles at the factory level, simply because their service stations are NOT capable of the same. Plus, the dude who paid 15 lakhs for an XUV500 won't tolerate unreliability.

Congrats on your SUV, btw. Most of us who have driven it are floored. Wish you many happy miles to come.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 19:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Hey Pankaj ,

Congrats and the ride looks butch . Superb alloys and ksomehow yes , the beast in silver looks awesome .

only one suggestion , The door guards oor the door protectors , they are somehow not fitting the over all look . They need to be parallel to the window line or need to be parallel to the base of the car . The are really spoiling the whole look of the car .

IN hindi they say - " aise hee aadaa tedha lagaa diya " , if you think the same please restore some symmetry .
Nah I differ dude. The window pane slants at a certain degree and the door moulding runs parallel to it and that also on a parallel groove which is not noticable in 2D side pose , hence base line and window are neways not parallel. As I said earlier you have to check it out in actual.
Old 26th October 2011, 22:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:
The dvd player is embedded in the roof mounted screen and it costs 13.5 k for W6 as in dash does not have DVD player. It also has USB and SD card reader and 8-16bit game CD with game remote.
The audio is routed to speakers through FM-TX button and it works in 88.6 FM frequency and gives decent stereo sound. It boasts of playing Mpeg-4 and giving 5.1 , Dolby and tackling AC3 formats.
Congrats on your ride Pankaj! I too have booked it in Silver and eagerly awaiting delivery. Also if you are transmitting through FM then even if the DVD player supports dolby, the quality will be lost because the FM frequency only support stereo. I suggest that you use some mechanism to connect the player to the audio system directly.
Old 26th October 2011, 23:17   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Congrats on your ride Pankaj! I too have booked it in Silver and eagerly awaiting delivery. Also if you are transmitting through FM then even if the DVD player supports dolby, the quality will be lost because the FM frequency only support stereo. I suggest that you use some mechanism to connect the player to the audio system directly.
That would need optical out to get 5.1 , but it does not even have VGA/ stereo output forget coaxial or optical.
Old 27th October 2011, 07:46   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. In our test XUV500, the ESP, hill descent & rear air-con electronics acted funny from time to time. The problems cropped up unpredictably (were impossible to replicate). Mahindra better do what it can to sort out electronic niggles at the factory level, simply because their service stations are NOT capable of the same. Plus, the dude who paid 15 lakhs for an XUV500 won't tolerate unreliability.

Congrats on your SUV, btw. Most of us who have driven it are floored. Wish you many happy miles to come.
Thanks GTO. Iam enamoured too, I haven't experienced a more planted and solid, yet car like easy to drive SUV. My Dad loved the silky smooth steering and how the beast responds to every input.

I have driven for 700 kms now and drove from Delhi to Chandigarh. My wife really appreciated the tireless journey and the way it glided over every patch of road rough/ smooth/ under construction. In fact I took the bumpy earthen section on the left side of the road to circumvent the jam ahead of me with one wheel on tarmac and left half on the rough road side. She napped through it and I asked her if she felt any bumps and she smiled- "no" . When we arrived at Chandigarh she said it has been most comfortable journey so far and the high speed cruise in verna before this used to get tiring by the end. Trust me this is the experience I always wanted.
I visited the panchkula market and climbed it up the footpath and parked it there and a gentlemen approached me and asked about how the vehicle was doing and about the accessories. He then introduced himself as Mahindra's head sales for Delhi and he was there to visit his parents too. After I discussed the problem of ABS light and inconsistent start/stop micro hybrid, he suggested me 'home installation' session to be done by the dealer. So let's see if any learning comes out of that when I get back. We also discussed why I did not go for AWD and how different the terms 4x4 and AWD were, he also suggested me to not take offroading too seriously with XUV. We parted ways after a satisfying discussion.
Next I went for refuelling as the fuel indicator was blinking. The tank gulped 65 litres at Rs. 2610 at RS 40.1 a litre. The last full tank has given me 670 kms, let's see this time as Iam mostly on highway for next 400 kms.
I plan to take it a bit uphill today.
I'am pretty convinced that it was a fair decision going for less tech loaded W6.
Cheers

Last edited by Pankaj_Ahlawat : 27th October 2011 at 07:57.
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 09:47   #53
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. In my opinion XUV 500 looks best in silver, black colours. Keep this thread updated. Wish you many happy and safe miles.
Old 27th October 2011, 09:55   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@pankaj:

Congratuatlions. Regarding ABS light coming on, this means that there is potential fault with your ABS system, which maybe something as simple as a loose connector or something more complicated.

Either way, you should not ignore it, but have it rectified ASAP as it maybe a safety issue.
Old 27th October 2011, 17:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

Check this issue with the Mahindra Authorized Service Center ASAP. The autocar's / Overdrive's (Magazine) test review also states that there are some issues with warning lights coming on and off. I think they also had an issue with the hand brake not holding the vehicle when engaged.
Old 27th October 2011, 21:10   #56
BHPian

Quote:
He then introduced himself as Mahindra's head sales for Delhi and he was there to visit his parents too.

We also discussed why I did not go for the AWD and how differen
t the terms 4x4 and AWD were, he also suggested me to not take offroading too seriously with XUV.
Cheers
Can u elaborate on your discussion w.r.t. The AWD model's pros & cons?
Also, what was his recommendation ? Was he advocating the prowess of the AWD or he thought the 4*2 was more or less competent?
Thx
Sid
Old 28th October 2011, 13:13   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidwadia View Post
Can u elaborate on your discussion w.r.t. The AWD model's pros & cons?
Also, what was his recommendation ? Was he advocating the prowess of the AWD or he thought the 4*2 was more or less competent?
Thx
Sid
Iam sure we have had enough discussions around 4x4 vs AWD already here.
In his opinion XUV is a softroader and hence best not to put it to harsh use as I had scaled up a foothpath and parked it there.
He did not clearly say anything on W6 or W8(being mahindra sales guy) however conventional wisdom draws the inference to settle for W6
Old 28th October 2011, 14:02   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Pankaj, I'm sorry missed the post earlier. A bit late, but wishing you unlimited safe, happy and EXCITING miles with the 5 Oh Oh!!! An amazing beast you got there. I saw an identical silver one yesterday in Pune and spent some minutes watching it and congratulating the owner (who was really pleased to get compliments from passers by).
And kudos on the mods! you've beefed up the already beefy rhino to the brim! Really cool alloys.

Keep the updates coming and the ODO incrementing
Old 28th October 2011, 16:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Pankaj, I'm sorry missed the post earlier. A bit late, but wishing you unlimited safe, happy and EXCITING miles with the 5 Oh Oh!!! An amazing beast you got there. I saw an identical silver one yesterday in Pune and spent some minutes watching it and congratulating the owner (who was really pleased to get compliments from passers by).
And kudos on the mods! you've beefed up the already beefy rhino to the brim! Really cool alloys.

Keep the updates coming and the ODO incrementing
Thanks dear, in fact I'm going through the same euphoria , I'm visiting Chandigarh and people are just going crazy on this vehicle requesting for reviews and price. The swarm of people is unending in the parking lot and Iam thanking Almighty and swelling with joy, watching it from 2nd floor window.The guard saab below told me about the horde of people that have been surrounding it since morning , and I believe him (we know Punjab`s love for SUVs and Canada- fortunately God is kind to give me both experiences). When I initially passed the guard saab on ground floor stairs in front of the parking lot to fetch something I heard him talking about the big bold wheels and 2nd time he was talking about the beauty and size of the beast. 3rd time I actually went to the vehicle to get some mint and thats where he caught me and asked the price and I told him around 14 Lakhs. Instantly as I was ascending stairs leaving him behind - he beamed with his new found knowledge and boasted to the guy next to him - "yeh 14 Lakh ki hai" and the guy replied "tujhe kya pata", to which he kindof got annoyed and authoritatively told him - "Iske maalik ne bataya hai"- the other guy very curiously blurted out " kahan hai iska malik ?" - I felt a rush of adrenaline and diappeared into my office- much like some star who goes incognito averting attention- never before in my life was I so sought after (even when I used to be quite an eligible bachelor)
Yesterday evening I went to sec 17 market and when I came back to parking, people were clicking photos.
Trust me even a 1Cr. rupee vehicle cant bring you this celebrity like treatment. IMHO people in some way are able to relate to it as an aspiring SUV buyer who for decades was bogged down by the price and "expensive to maintain - phoren white elephant" taboo for above 10 Lakh rupee SUVs a.k.a Captiva`s and Endys and the horror stories of how the part replacement would run in lakhs etc. But this is a genuine Indian SUV which promises Indian costs for owning and running it sans the high maintenance and high purchase price. Its like for a moment that upper middle (even middle class) can live the family SUV dream. The hysteria is familiar as was generated by nano. However, positive side is that former was for 1 lakh rupee car, but this is a million rupee vehicle and its good to see that people ( mostly the conservative lot in India who consider car to be a depriciating asset - my Dad included) are actually ready to spend that kind of money and you can see the spark in their eyes. It is a positive indicator of health of our economy in the turbulent times. God Bless India and may enable people to buy vehicles of their dreams.
Cheers!

Last edited by Pankaj_Ahlawat : 28th October 2011 at 16:32.
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 16:53   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Couldn't have put it any better! Every word you wrote there is spot on Pankaj. Agree with each thought in it to the fullest (Including the dads proclaiming a car to be a depreciating few lakh rupees that stand in the Sun my senior is in that group too!)

Enjoy your ride. And please keep the thread alive always. I'm an admirer of the XUV, and now a fan of your's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks