Team-BHP - Tata Safari 3.0 Dicor: Burnt, Recovered and Reclaiming @ 1,62,000 Kms EDIT : Now SOLD!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari 3.0 Dicor: Burnt, Recovered and Reclaiming @ 1,62,000 Kms EDIT : Now SOLD! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/110406-tata-safari-3-0-dicor-burnt-recovered-reclaiming-1-62-000-kms-edit-now-sold-2.html)

just came across your thread fine way to go congratulations on the rebuild.i agree with the point of liking underpowered cars as they gave you so much more to do while driving specially on those long journeys all the scheming required just to overtake a truck.
by the way your vehicle looks amazing just chuck the guard it takes away the butch feel of the vehicle .

The Check Engine light of the car comes-on after every 350-400kms and goes off after restart. Am suspecting some oxygen sensor or a vaccum leak?

@sierrakamat:

Am searching for a nice bull guard, Don't want those conventional ones. Thanks for your words.:)

see the one on the blue safari in my avatar of all the bull guards that i have seen that looks best on the beast.
why dont you scan the vehicle that should give you some idea siumilar thing was happening to my previous 2.2 safari and was traced to the air filter sensor wiring being loose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercedised (Post 2576016)
Also changed the smaller bearings of both the front wheels costing some 300 Rs each. All in all the vehicle is performing exceptionally well. The bell crank might have broken due to excessive load of alloys, so switched to the stock RIMS.

I am a little confused here. Alloys are supposed to be lighter in weight than the stock steel rims, and hence they should reduce the effort or stress on the suspension as well as on the steering systems, IMO. How come the crank broke 'because' of the excessive load of the alloys?

By the way, congratulations for the innovative approach you have taken in acquiring a vehicle of this kind and building it back. :)

Back from a 500 kms roadtrip and the beast returned mileage of 18.5Kmpl @70-80kmph.:Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierrakamat (Post 2592809)
see the one on the blue safari in my avatar of all the bull guards that i have seen that looks best on the beast.
why dont you scan the vehicle that should give you some idea siumilar thing was happening to my previous 2.2 safari and was traced to the air filter sensor wiring being loose.

Yeah! But too much of hectic schedule makes me visit the TASC only on services. Will see that the next service due @75K kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 2593233)
I am a little confused here. Alloys are supposed to be lighter in weight than the stock steel rims, and hence they should reduce the effort or stress on the suspension as well as on the steering systems, IMO. How come the crank broke 'because' of the excessive load of the alloys?

By the way, congratulations for the innovative approach you have taken in acquiring a vehicle of this kind and building it back. :)

Thanks for the compliments.:)

IMO the cheap alloys are just for show-off and adding to that, the have different specifications from the stock hence they put additional load on suspension.

The vehicle is up for 75K kms service, works tobe done:

1) General service with engine oil and filter change.

2) Camber adjustment. The vehicle pulls slowly to left even after correct alignment and no tyre eating issue and with right air pressure.

3) Front brake pads tobe replaced.

4) Door setting tobe done.

5) A whistling noise after 2K rpm is audible seems a turbo hose problem.

Thanks.:)

Got the servicing done @77k kms. Works done are as follows:

Oil and oil filter change: 2000 Rs

Horn, Fog lamp bulb, other minor works: 1000 Rs

Front windscreen polishing: 600 Rs

Front brake pads change: 1150 Rs.

Thanks.:)

Did the front windscreen polishing help in removing the wiper blade marks and improve night vision prices quoted in mumbai are in the range of 1.5 to 2 k

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierrakamat (Post 2685206)
Did the front windscreen polishing help in removing the wiper blade marks and improve night vision prices quoted in mumbai are in the range of 1.5 to 2 k

Yes it did, previously the lights of oncoming vehicles created circles (or circular glare) and there were some minor wiper marks too. All have been removed. The improvement is more than 80% in visibility now. Almost like new, it took only 1/2 hour.

Hi mercedized !
good to see u back with a safari. i finally sold my tcic when i got decent price after it blew gasket for second time.
i too am looking at a dicor 3.0 l tomorrow , though i was worried about its FE reports and maintenance.
Can u shed some light on the maintenance as compared to say the TCIC and the 2.2 vtt.
also the cost and availability of spares and most importanantly FE as compared to the tcic.
thanks.
Kedar

Yesterday, when I had parked the car near my office, and when I came back there was a huge dent on the bonnet (front). The Bonnet area besides the LHS light has dented considerably, I don't know how did it happen whether some truck guy did it on reversing or someone hitted it.[frustration] It is raining here and the huge dent has caught rust. I hate these MORONS who ... Heck Man![frustration]

Meanwhile the power steering is making groaning noise on turning, a few days earlier I had noticed spots of oil beneath the car.

Mercedised congratulations on the rebuild and sorry to hear about the dent.

Just to cheer you up a little , Tatas have launched Xenon with 3.0 L Dicor engine so you can be assured of parts supply now on.

The car crossed 1,00,000 Kms quite sometime ago. Runs fine as of now. Just had a question if I have to change the sedimentor at this time or keep it as it is untill it gives-up.

Car @1,15,000 kms, Got the suspension overhauled Parts costed around 10K Rs and labour 2.5K (outside mechanic). Also got the service done with Shell HX6 and change of oil filter.

Keep the updates coming.This is one of the more 'involved ' threads on the forum!