Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2006, 18:22   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
When a vehicle tailgates another, the one that actually rams in usually takes the brunt of the damages regardless of the type of vehicle. I've reached this conclusing after watching various accidents involving one vehicle tailgating another...
It appears that it was head-on collision and not tailgating.
Mclaren, sorry about that incident. It really really sucks to go through such lean patch. Cheer up and think now that the bad time is over for good.
Old 12th April 2006, 19:47   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
...Let me try and explain .. We were taking a 90 degree left hander .. Just before u enter the turn there was a wall thats is about 6 feet high and 5 feet wide .. This is just before the turn ... So one cant see anyting on the other side of the turn .. This guy was on the wrong lane of the road ( my left lane that is ) .. He was parking his car close the footpath on HIS RIGHT LANE .. And i exited out of the corner on my lane just to find the santro coming to a stall 4 feet in front of me ( the road is under construction hence no parking on the left side ) ...
too bad about your accident. i was just trying to visualise this.
by the above logic if he parked in the same direction you were driving you could have ran into the back of his car.
you got a 5x6 wall then it is blind turn. a car could have been parked there and you would still have run into it only you would have hit a correctly parked car i the rear right?

Mclaren, you really ought to slow down and be more defensive in city driving. If you do you'll see that "bad patch" end soon.
Old 12th April 2006, 19:56   #78
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
too bad about your accident. i was just trying to visualise this.
by the above logic if he parked in the same direction you were driving you could have ran into the back of his car.
you got a 5x6 wall then it is blind turn. a car could have been parked there and you would still have run into it only you would have hit a correctly parked car i the rear right?

Mclaren, you really ought to slow down and be more defensive in city driving. If you do you'll see that "bad patch" end soon.
No navin , u guys are getting me wrong .. He parked his car with his front end facing my bonnet .. The parking on the left lane was out because the left corner was dug up .. So he instead decided to park close to the right side footpath with his bonnet facing mine .. So i went into him head on , not rear ended him ..

Also in city im totally defensive .. Shift at 1500 revvs all the time owing to the light wallets.. Did the same this time too .. But i guess things such as these do happen , nothing one can do ..
Old 12th April 2006, 20:06   #79
Senior - BHPian

mclaren, navin did get it right ie. he understood that you had a head-on, not a rear-end collision. What he implied was, "Even if the guy had parked correctly ie. with the Santro's rear facing you, you would have still hit him due to the blind spot created by the wall". And by defensive, I guess he means that you should have been more careful taking that turn since your visibility was nil due to the wall.
Old 12th April 2006, 20:11   #80
BANNED

Ooopppss ... Stupid me .. Got it .. Actually there is no provision for parking there at all .. Thats why i didnt expect any car to be parked there .. That was my daily route to coll and not once in the last 2 years have i seen a car parked on that road .. However this guy decided to do that , and i was at the wrong place at the wrong time ..
Old 12th April 2006, 20:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

But, correct me if i am wrong... isnt it wrong to park at a corner? Specially blind ones? At least i dont... i try to park my car as far away from a corner as possible, even if i am on the LHS of the road.
I mean, the way i see it, the santro guy would have been taking the same risk had he been parked "correctly" as per navin.

Jus my two rotten cents...
Amitoj
Old 12th April 2006, 20:21   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
But, correct me if i am wrong... isnt it wrong to park at a corner? Specially blind ones? At least i dont... i try to park my car as far away from a corner as possible, even if i am on the LHS of the road.
I mean, the way i see it, the santro guy would have been taking the same risk had he been parked "correctly" as per navin.

Jus my two rotten cents...
Amitoj
It is wrong to park at a corner or close to it .. But isnt this india ??
Old 12th April 2006, 21:49   #83
BHPian

Mclaren,

Sad to hear about the damage to your car. Just need to get on with it...

It feels awfull when ur car is hurt... :(
Just got back my baleno with the bonnet and rhs fender repainted to take care of minor ( IMHO ) dents at the edge towards the headlight.
Due to a momentary lapse of alertness, I managed to get my RHS headlight bruised by a passing mini-bus ( tempo-traveller ) at a signal... Should have come to a complete stop and let the vehicle pass before moving...:(

Honing my driving skills the hard way!

-Haque
Old 12th April 2006, 23:18   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Coming to spare parts POV , never knew almost every part was a SGP ( Suzuki Genuine Part ) and not MGP.. They are next to impossible to find , even in all the showrooms .. Even parts like the bonnet , bumper , radiator and condensor .. After hunting the city somehow managed to trace what i wanted , now need to go get them soon ..

ie u dont get most of the spares from maruti showrooms?? oh thats a bad news for prosperous baleno buyers . also are they costly?
Old 13th April 2006, 01:36   #85
Senior - BHPian

.All cosmetic parts (lamps, grille, bumper) and some internal parts like radiator etc are SGA and SGP. But structural members etc are really cheap, being Maruti products.
Old 13th April 2006, 02:19   #86
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
you are right!... but one can never justify an accident by blaming the other person. We all know this is India and how things work here.

If I am getting the whole thing right!.. then if there was a small traffic jam in that lane due to someone taking a U turn or something, Mclaren would have still hit the last car in the queue. Basically a blind turn means you got to be ready for anything... doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclaran1885
But i guess things such as these do happen , nothing one can do ..
I think you could have avoided this one. You can learn from your mistakes only if you own them first. (of course it was not your fault..... but as you said "this is India"... you got to adjust youself to survive here)
Old 13th April 2006, 12:52   #87
BHPian

Just read this thread man! That's so sad! Gotta be careful the next time. Well, on a positive note, you learn from your mistakes, so just think of this as YET ANOTHER stepping stone (albeit an expensive one!) to becoming the perfect driver!

p.s. please remind me never to sit in a car with you!..LOL .

Godspeed.

Alok.

Last edited by ghostrider4385 : 13th April 2006 at 12:53.
Old 13th April 2006, 13:17   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
.All cosmetic parts (lamps, grille, bumper) and some internal parts like radiator etc are SGA and SGP. But structural members etc are really cheap, being Maruti products.
V1p3r,

That means, there is a good news and a bad news.

Bad news is that lamps/grille/bumper/raditor/mirrors are more prone to damage than any other parts like engine/chasis, since there are the ones which take the hit first.

Now good news is that, engine/chasis etc are cheaper Maruti products. Which in other words mean that, in case of major damage, one has to spend less fortune.
Old 13th April 2006, 13:48   #89
Team-BHP Support

Actullay it can be very diffcult to adjust to India. I found it very diffcult to adjust esp since my last post was in Germany/Denmark and the autobahns and German discipline spoiled me. So I got me a driver from 8am to 8pm. this way I only drive off peak yet I find in India one has to be very defensive. the number of stupid drivers here is fantastic.

Last night I was behind a maruti van (taxi) that had no brake lights, no indicators and had curtains covering his rear window. I was driving blind for almost 3 km. If i left a 2 sec gap some idiot would cut in front of me.

Enough said this topic is going no where. Mclaren post us an update when your car is back on the road. Psycho take you time fixing Mclaren's car I might have to visit bangy some time in May! :-) just kidding mclaren!.

Last edited by navin : 13th April 2006 at 13:50.
Old 13th April 2006, 14:05   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Enough said this topic is going no where. Mclaren post us an update when your car is back on the road. Psycho take you time fixing Mclaren's car I might have to visit bangy some time in May! :-) just kidding mclaren!.
Im very well aware of the deal ur having with psycho .. To say the least im mighty impressed with ur idea .. Cant wait to meet up with u at bangy ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider
p.s. please remind me never to sit in a car with you!..LOL .
Come on alok , this is my 1st accident in a car since i have been mature enough to drive ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks