Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2006, 01:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

A Pictoral Comparison : Hyundai Getz & Maruti Swift

This started off as Rehaan reminding me that a long time ago I told him I'd post pics of my (then new) silver Getz GLS with ABS and I still hadn't. So I decided I'd take those pics. Then I realised that I had a friend's silver Swift Zxi easily accessible and thought, "Why not take pictures of the two cars side-by-side, since both were the top-spec model in the range, for people to make a comparison?". So here are the pictures; I'll post my remarks for each, if there are any.

Hope you like them!

Note: I compressed these images down to 1600x1200 with a high degree of compression. They may still take a while to open if you're on dial-up.

Three shots of the Swift up-front and the Getz from behind. I feel that these angles show off both cars' prettiest views.

Now the reverse angle, Getz front, Swift rear. Far less appealing angles to my eyes, for both cars.

Let's concentrate on the front and side views of the Getz for a moment.

Swift

And now the Swift.

Here are the three-quarter & rear views of both cars with close-ups of the rear bodywork detailing and the logos. I prefer the concealed hatch-release mechanism of the Getz to the "slot" on the Swift. I also prefer the detailing in the Getz's bodywork at the rear, to the Swift's comparitively bland & bulbous sheet metal.

Old 8th March 2006, 01:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Now some close-ups of various parts.

The front head-lamps. While the Getz's headlamps are understated and subtle, the Swift's are quite stunning.

The rear tail-lights. Getz has clear lens treatment and looks like a grown-up Matiz. The Swift's are opaque and swooping.

The front air-dam. Rectangular fog-lamps in Getz, round in Swift.

Front grill. Both cars have attractive grills, with built-in emblem.

Side mirrors and indicators. The Getz mirrors are fully painted body colour. The Swift's are body colour from the front and black from the rear. The indicators on the Getz are old-school amber, while the Swift's are more modern and white. Is it just me or does anyone else think the Swift's side mirrors are ENORMOUS!?

Door handles. Flush with body-work and lift-up style in the Getz, raised, pull-out style in the Swift.

The rear "spoiler" or wing on the two cars. Getz's wing protrudes more & is shaped like a fin, while Swift is short and stubby.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 8th March 2006 at 01:24.
Old 8th March 2006, 01:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

The alloy-wheels. Side by side views followed by Getz and then Swift. Both cars are shod with stock alloys but after-market rubber. Getz wears 185/60-14 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2, Swift wears 205/60-14 Bridgestone Grid III. Does Maruti really think the Swift's flared arches look good with those toothpicks they call OE tyres? I feel the Swift's rims are a little too narrow for 205 width tyres, as they don't seem to be "filling-out" the way I'd expect them to. Neither car's alloys are stunning, but look better than wheel caps for sure.

Let's open the hatches on both cars. Getz boot slightly deeper than Swift's. Getz hatch cover rises with hatch when opened, Swift hatch cover has to be manually lifted. Power outlet in boot of Swift a thoughtful touch absent in the Getz.

Under the floor of the boot in both cars is the spare wheel. Alloy in the Getz, Swift makes do with steel wheel. Shame on you Maruti.

The rear seats in both cars fold, but there's a crucial difference that affects the practicality of storage space. For starters, Getz rear-seat is a 60/40 split so you can seat three or four people and still increase luggage area. Furthermore, the rear seat tumbles after folding to create a fully flat, very large load area. Swift rear seat is one-piece so it's 2 people and lots of space or 5 with very little. Also the Swift rear seat does not tumble, with the result that the load area in the Swift is uneven and therefore slightly less practical. This is a big thing to me, because my Getz often gets loaded to the roof with stuff and I sometimes have 2 passengers with me! As an aside, the Getz rear seat also has adjustable recline, whereas the Swift does not. (First three pics Getz, fourth Swift)

A look under both car's bonnets. Getz engine sourced from bigger Accent unit. Swift engine is the familiar Esteem engine. Swift engine slightly more powerful, but overall performance similar owing to very tall fifth gear in Swift which is only useful for cruising.

Let's take a look inside the cabin.
Front seats in the Getz are quite firm. Upholstery is two-tone. Swift's front seats are very plush by comparison. Upholstery is single colour and a bit dark.
Rear leg-room is better in the Getz.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2006 at 06:45.
Old 8th March 2006, 01:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Steering wheel and dashboard. The Getz has a three-spoke wheel and attractive large, full-circle instruments. The steering feels quite chunky, but the plastics are hard and feel cheap. Speedo and tach are the same size and are very easy to read. Swift steering-wheel also three spoke, but looks more attractive. Crucially, it houses the driver's airbag, which is absent in the Getz. Swift steering-wheel plastics are also softer and feel a little higher-class. The dials are not full circle, with the result that the tach is a little harder to read, especially since it's smaller than the speedo, which takes pride of place. Both cars have digital trip meters and odometers.

Pedals are the usual manual arrangement in both cars. Getz has a foot-rest for your left foot, whereas Swift does not.

Switch-gear for electric windows and doors. Similar in both cars. Once again, Getz interiors are light thanks to two-tone upholstery and mock-aluminium finish on door and centre console. Swift's interiors have quite a dark overall appearance.

Centre-console. Getz has mock aluminium finish and round dial controls for AC. Swift has solid colour centre console and buttons for climate control. (Note: neither car comes with an audio system, so both these cars have after-market systems fitted)

Head-unit and AC vents. Both cars have after-market head-units. Pioneer 8650 in the Getz, and Pioneer 6850 in the Swift.

Shift-lever. Both cars have traditional H-gate gear shift. Getz has bottle-cap style shift lever. Throw is longer than Swift's but action is very smooth. Swift has attractive faux leather shift-lever. Throw is very short (Maruti, I'm impressed!), but action is slightly notchy.

Glove-boxes. Getz slightly larger than Swift. Front passenger airbag housed above glove box in Swift. Getz has no airbag (Hyundai isn't it about time?). Both cars have the usual assortment of cubbies, door pockets, cup holders etc. Swift front passenger seat is missing seat-back pocket for some inexplicable reason.

One last look at these two great hatches with their hatches up!

Well, that's it for the pictorial comparison of the two cars. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 8th March 2006 at 01:26.
Old 8th March 2006, 01:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

kbk 75 and excellent post by you. Alot of effort has gone into making this thread and taking the pics from every angle. Thanx alot for it. Now i can see a clearer view between both the cars.
Old 8th March 2006, 01:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Glad you like it Busa, hopefully it will show prospective buyers the "little things" that sometimes get missed.
Old 8th March 2006, 02:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

EXCELLENT!!!

With u, Why do we need Magazines??

Quote:
Swift wears 205/60-14 Bridgestone Grid III
Thats murder!! The car's brakes(ABS) will fail because of the huge change in OD. Give ur friend a caution!
Old 8th March 2006, 02:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Total wheel diameter has been reduced with these tyres. Why would the brakes fail?
Old 8th March 2006, 02:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Original Swift ZXi wheel diameter = 614.6 mm
Swift shown above " " = 601.6 mm

This is a reduction of 2.12%, which results in the wheel circumference being reduced by 41mm on 1932mm, a negligible difference.
Old 8th March 2006, 02:57   #10
Team-BHP Support

great

excellent pictoral comparison kbk_75. very thorough work indeed!

...and its very helpful to those of us who haven't been able to experience either of the 2 cars physically...

ad
Old 8th March 2006, 03:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wow! great attention to detail, man! Must have taken quite a bit of time and effort on your part. But i am sure it'll go on to be a help to people looking to buy one of these cars.
Old 8th March 2006, 09:36   #12
BANNED

Hey Man,

Really neat job. Really appreciate the time and effort taken.

Viper
Old 8th March 2006, 09:38   #13
BHPian

Great job kbk_75. It was better than reading comparision in magazines.
Old 8th March 2006, 09:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

hey ...a lot of effort has gone into all this ....that was superbbb.... ...

Nitrous,

why would teh ABS fail with change in tires????????
Old 8th March 2006, 10:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic...

well done man!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks