Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 22:41   #136

re: Nissan Micra Diesel. EDIT: 140,000 km / 10 years of happy ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
You seem to have had a real bad time with the car. Can you post a picture of the damage done by the dog. It's quite possible you are being taken for a ride. Maybe the experts can shed some light here.
Quote given by the dealer for the repair work.

Nissan Micra Diesel. EDIT: 140,000 km / 10 years of happy ownership-estimation_page_1.jpg

Nissan Micra Diesel. EDIT: 140,000 km / 10 years of happy ownership-estimation_page_2.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th May 2013 at 08:26. Reason: Removing personal information from attachments.
sundar04 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 23:34   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think that metal thickness is the primary factor in car noise control, nut that damping and padding is. This is certainly an area in which cost control can be exercised at the cost of passenger comfort.
Old 3rd May 2013, 23:53   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar04 View Post
But plastic is not going to save in time of accidents.
Please do not misunderstand my previous post as an attempt at proving this. Or to disrespect the Fiat fan in you.

I do not have an issue in anyone giving a negative review for the Micra, but it
took me by surprise reading about suspension and A/C issue in a Micra.

It also seemed (to me) in your review that you might be unaware of the competition and the cost cutting measures in them too. Because I've another car from a higher segment, the Vento, I can vouch for the much famous suspension thud for it; compared to the Vento, the Micra fares far better. I'm not saying that there is no thud in the Micra, it is just that the Vento emits a mild thud even on the undulating roads at my place!

My Micra came with bonnet insulation, i.e, IIRC. Sheet metal adds to the safety, but sheet metal alone won't save you if it is not designed properly, especially the crumple zones. It is still debatable whether the K9K or the MJD engine is better. The K9K is old school with lesser valves but is good on low end torque when combined with the lag-less turbo.

And, please provide photos and repair estimate breakdown of 40k, if available.

EDIT : Saw the estimate just now. From that, I couldn't get a thing on bad CHASSIS for the Micra. The radiator is completely gone and I have to guess that it was not a mild hit that you had unless the ASC is fleecing you. Any snaps?

Last edited by thoma : 4th May 2013 at 00:15.
Old 4th May 2013, 00:05   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
And, please provide photos and repair estimate breakdown of 40k, if available.
I don't have the photos of the damaged parts. I will try to get it from the Insurance surveyor.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th May 2013 at 08:20. Reason: Please quote only relevant sections of the post instead of an entire post.
Old 4th May 2013, 14:12   #140
BHPian

Sorry for going OT about 9 years back when we were coming back from Chennai to bengaluru via kolar mines highway my dad hit a monkey at 110kmph and when we heard the racket we thought that our accent would have taken a mighty beating on front right side, but to our surprise and disbelief there was just a small crack on the bumper below the fog lamp housing. Now the reason for mentioning this incident is because if your car had hit the dog square in middle there would definitely be a lot of damage be it a 800 or a s-class. So there is no point blaming it on build quality etc. Because have you ever wondered why such a light insect like a lady bug or dragonfly gets splattered on your cars body?? Think about it then you'll understand why the dog did a lot of damage to your Micra.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 16:13   #141
BHPian

Quote:
I bought Micra XV diesel 8 months before and 22000 Kms so far. Except the engine nothing is good. in this vehicle. I have used Fiat Palio and**Xylo in the past. I compare it with my past cars.

Micra has the most soft suspension. It can't manage even a small pothole and small stones, end up in big THUD sound. When we drive the car in rainy season, you will feel as if rain drops are falling on**your head. No sound insulation. Even when a small stone hits the platform you feel like hitting you directly. In the name of cost saving Nissan has created a Blunder car in India.

But Micra has the best engine. Better than Maruthi, Ford, Fiat engines. No turbo lag. Instant acceleration. In highways there is no body roll, this is because of the soft suspension. Suspension is a big nuisance in Micra. It annoys the passenger. Mileage is decent, i get consistently 20.5 KMPL in city and highway.

Body quality is very bad. It is so light that it can't withstand a hit by a dog. On 27th April i met with**an accident on highways, hit a dog at 120 KM and to your surprise the CHASSIS got damaged do you believe. Repair estimation is 40000/-. If any head on collision happens that's it straight to HELL or Heaven . No airbag can save you. I thought Japanese vehicle would be good, but all ended in disappointment only.

The another issue is the A/C, worthless A/C. You need to keep the blower in full speed to get A/C effect in hot sun.

Even though the engine and millege is good, I don't recommend this vehicle or any of this company product to any one. The suspension problem is there even in the SUNNY.

EXCEPT THE ENGINE NOTHING IS GOOD IN THIS CAR.
Buddy there is a lot of difference in built quality of Japanese and European cars. All European have a solid built. Most Japanese use thinner sheets of metal. Compare Japanese car with European car in any segment and you can feel the difference. May be Japanese way of reducing overall body weight. If you are complaining about micra then etios liva is a nightmare. Thick sheets never mean better safety.

Dogs have been my worst enemies. I have suffered thrice in last 5 years. and 3 dogs have sacrificed their lives. First time i hit a dog with my brand new zen estilo at around 30kmph and front bumper cracked. That moron dog was crossing the road looking at the other side. No regards for traffic safety.
Second time my friends BMW 3 series hits a dog at around 150kmph. Not even a scratch on bumper and the poor dogs carcass was never recovered.
Third and the worst was a group of dogs doing a 100 meter sprint on highway and i hit their Usain Bolt at full 120 kmph. So bad was the impact that the canine was imprinted on my car. Total damage close to 25,000/- (Bumper, headlight, grill, AC radiator, ac grill etc ) and a talented sprinter dog losing its life.
I just prayed to God that i was not sued for cruelty on dogs.
The car in question was a zen estilo. So i guess thats typical of Japanese cars, thin built.
I thought Rs 25000/- for a stray dog is too expensive but i bow to you 40000/-. Yours must be some exotic breed.

AC should not be an issue with micra, compare it with other micras in ur area or get sun films installed (if traffic walas are cooperative enough).

Last edited by bravo82in : 6th May 2013 at 16:25.
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 08:44   #142
BHPian

I've had the Micra diesel for almost 2 years now and have done 27000km. We also own a Chevy Beat LT, but the Nissan Micra overshadows the Beat in every department other than the looks.

Looks and Style:- The car might not be the prettiest thing to look at, but if looks are of no concern to you then this is one hell of a diesel car. Pretty comfortable too, so my grandmom says, we had a swift and Indigo before this and everytime we go out she demands we go in the Micra. :P

Drive:- The smoothness and softness of the steering makes turning this car a breeze. The diesel motor in the micra is simply phenomenal, it behaves like a petrol with absolutely no turbo lag. In terms of fuel economy I've been getting a consistent 16-17kmpl inside the city with the AC switched on.

Best Features:- The XV premium comes with everything you would expect from a car at this price range and the start-stop button feature makes it truly unique from other cars. The music system may not be the best, but it is much better than the ones from Maruti, Ford and Chevrolet.

Needs to improve:- The only down side of owning a Micra Diesel are the looks of the car and the fact that there is no passenger airbag, ABS and EBD. But as long as you drive it in the city there really isn't much need for these safety features.

Overall Experience:- All in all, the Nissan Micra Diesel has been the perfect city car with very good fuel economy and comfort at this price range.

After seeing the all new facelifted Nissan Micra, I think they might have a winner in their hands.

Note from Support - Please do not post your high speed achievements unless it was attained on a closed circuit or race track. Driving above the specified speed limits can be dangerous and is illegal as well. We value your support in maintaining the quality of this forum. Thanks.

Last edited by n_aditya : 18th June 2013 at 14:50.
Old 23rd June 2013, 22:20   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Buddy there is a lot of difference in built quality of Japanese and European cars. All European have a solid built. Most Japanese use thinner sheets of metal. Compare Japanese car with European car in any segment and you can feel the difference. May be Japanese way of reducing overall body weight. If you are complaining about micra then etios liva is a nightmare. Thick sheets never mean better safety.
Hey man,

Wanted to find out about your service experience - my brother owns a Micra and was quite happy with Nath Nissan, which has since closed down.

Is there a Nissan service center in GGN / FBD / South Delhi that you have used, are happy with and would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st July 2013, 16:57   #144
BHPian

Guys, is the mileage being checked Tank full to Empty method.
we dont see people in Chennai getting a mileage beyond 15 km/l (mixed condition) and 18/19 km/l on the highways.
Can some one pl confirm this.
Facelift Micra is about to hit the roads.
Old 1st July 2013, 22:13   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelocity View Post
we dont see people in Chennai getting a mileage beyond 15 km/l (mixed condition) and 18/19 km/l on the highways.
If you are speaking about the diesel mill, worry not. It will fetch you realistic FE on the lines of the ARAI rating, if you are not gunning your car on the highway. Else, even 19 kmpl is unavoidable. Don't expect any car to return superb figures inside city traffic. For an unbiased comparison, you have to take the highway cruising figures, as city traffic conditions vary by the second.

Here are a couple of my full tank figures. Latest being 22 kmpl for a 1300km round trip to Vellore; whereas, the MID showed 25kmpl.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 00:59   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Great. I didn't believe the sales adviser at the Nissan dealership, when he told that on an average, the service cost comes to 2-2.5k. He then quoted the price of the mirror (not the assembly) to be just 150/-. Whereas, my Baleno's mirror costs 10 times the amount.
Service cost of 3,500 is really good. That puts Nissan Micra 2nd behind the Toyota Etios. But, it's a very close 2nd.
The thing is I still hear people say that they buy a Maruti because it's cheap to maintain. It was, not so any longer.

With regards to Baleno, the reason why the spare cost is high is only because of the SGPs ( Suzuki Genuine Parts ) used instead of MGPs ( Maruto Genuine Parts )

Quote:
Micra has the most soft suspension. It can't manage even a small pothole and small stones, end up in big THUD sound.
The old model Etios/Liva ( 2011 model ) used to have this issue. They resolved it by replacing these suspensions free of charge with a stiffer design. This is a huge change and driving the car on humps and pot holes became bliss post the change.
Maybe, you can think of procuring a stiffer set of suspensions.

Quote:
Body quality is very bad. It is so light that it can't withstand a hit by a dog. On 27th April i met with**an accident on highways, hit a dog at 120 KM and to your surprise the CHASSIS got damaged do you believe. Repair estimation is 40000/-. If any head on collision happens that's it straight to HELL or Heaven . No airbag can save you. I thought Japanese vehicle would be good, but all ended in disappointment only.
Wrong expectations from a Japanese car. Japanese cars are light weight, efficient, better braking ( not with Micra though ), more durable and cheap on maintenance. And if you bang it on something, you get reasonable protection inside the cabin as well. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that the number of parts damaged because of the accident is lesser than a heavier European car. The heaviness will certainly help here.

Quote:
The another issue is the A/C, worthless A/C. You need to keep the blower in full speed to get A/C effect in hot sun.
I tried out a Sunny and found the AC to be quite good. So, not sure why it's not meeting your expectations. Probably, the Micra has more glass area to let in more sunlight than your older vehicle.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 20:31   #147
BHPian

2 Years and 35000 kms of ownership

1.It has been 2 years and 35000 kms with my Micra and I am really happy with my overall ownership experience. Absolutely no issues with the car till date.

2.The orange key light shows up in cluster panel ones in a while (ones in a month). It shows up for few seconds and disappears. The service centre says its due to weak battery of remote. Changing the battery didn't help.

3.Ran over a pothole causing a tyre to burst and front alloy rim chipped off. Brought it to the notice of Reliance Autozone, Gurgaon from where i had initially purchased the alloys. They promised to replace the alloy wheel. Since the design was out of production they agreed to replace the entire set with a new one. Really happy to have a new set of alloys for free after nearly two years of use. The new alloys go better with the Micra now. Added chrome door handles to go with the new alloy wheels. (Bought online from www.aliexpress.com for $ 14.99 with shipping)

Nissan Micra Diesel. EDIT: 140,000 km / 10 years of happy ownership-micra-new-alloys-.jpg
Sorry for the picture quality.

4. The mileage is close to 19 kmpl in delhi's peak traffic with Ac on and 28-29 kmpl on highway with bit of cautious driving and AC off. Ac seems to take a toll of mileage by at least 5kmpl in city use.

5. NVH settles down in about 10-15 mins of drive. After that its as good as petrol car (if not better). With the kind of pickup and NVH level this car has one really cant say its a diesel mill.

6. Braking and light steering is no more an issue on highways now. I am quite comfortable at 130 to 140 kmph.

7. Not really happy with my cost of service this time at Sky Nissan, Kirti nagar. Its was Rs 8800/- (4000/- for parts and 3800 labour + taxes). They try to force things upon customers. Rs 1550/- for EGR (Exhaust gas recirculation) cleaning, Rs 551/- and Rs 559/- for engine flush and additive was unnecessary. I dont think its a part of regular service, its no where mentioned in maintenance book. Otherwise the bill would have been under Rs 6000/-
My Dad had a similar experience with Sterling nissan, Gurgaon on the cars previous service where they suggested injector cleaning (~Rs 1500/-) at 28000kms/ 18months . He asked them to show it in printing that its recommended by nissan. They SA failed to produce any printed evidence.

Can someone throw light on the significance of ECR cleaning, Injector cleaning, engine flush and additive and at what interval/kms it must be?
I feel it a way of milking customers

Nissan Micra Diesel. EDIT: 140,000 km / 10 years of happy ownership-micra-service-bill-001.jpg

Last edited by bravo82in : 26th October 2013 at 20:47. Reason: Spelling error
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 23:22   #148
BHPian

Re: 2 Years and 35000 kms of ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Can someone throw light on the significance of ECR cleaning, Injector cleaning, engine flush and additive and at what interval/kms it must be?
I feel it a way of milking customers
It's a scam, plain and simple. Post 100k you can consider it, but then too no manufacturer requires it or recommends it in the service manual, so it isn't necessary unless you have some specific problem with the engine.

For a modern engine run only for 35k, it is not only not required, but doesn't really improve anything (other than the service center's margins).

It is also really pathetic that they charged you 300 bucks for pickup and drop. Maruti, with so many customers and almost a captive market offers that for free, as do many other companies with better sales and brand recall in the Indian market than Nissan.

Last edited by chncar : 26th October 2013 at 23:26.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 19:18   #149
BHPian

Hi

Have any owner of old Micra has driven the new face lifted one? If yes, please list out the differences( if any) other than looks. The official GC of Micra is around 155 mm. How come it manages our roads when other hatches with 165-170 mm seem to struggle? Can some one share the experience on GC particularly with full load.

Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 08:15   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi

Have any owner of old Micra has driven the new face lifted one? If yes, please list out the differences( if any) other than looks. The official GC of Micra is around 155 mm. How come it manages our roads when other hatches with 165-170 mm seem to struggle? Can some one share the experience on GC particularly with full load.

Thanks
They've got some more firewall insulation in the petrol, so the engine doesn't sound as harsh. The audio system has better features and is easier to replace. There is a CVT gearbox available that isn't much slower than the manual.

My car used to scrape its belly on large speedbreakers, but after a tyre upgrade the car doesn't touch anywhere, even with a full load.

Most Viewed