Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 12:17   #91
BANNED

re: Nissan Micra Diesel. EDIT: 140,000 km / 10 years of happy ownership

Wat I feel is that Micra is the most under-rated car in its segment. People say that its over-priced but I beg to differ. The diesel base model should be compared with the Swift VDI and not LDI. It has more features than the VDI or Polo Trendline and plus its not common like the Swift...After test driving the Micra, I can vouch for the fact that its the best diesel city car.
Old 9th April 2012, 14:47   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I saw a little gold Micra parked next to my big (by comparison: I was quite surprised at the difference) blue Polo. I can't claim the Micra didn't tug at a heartstring.

The size is just perfect for single or couple driving and would make easy[er] work of city lanes and back streets.
Micra is fun to drive in the city, considering the compact dimensions, small turn radius, peppy engine and light steering. The inner space isnt that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuthomas View Post
Congrats buddy! nice to hear about your mileage - 33 kmpl is like wow!! you please keep us updated on the mileage part. I thought the figo giving 23 - 24 is great but this has made me speechless

the alloys look awesome on your car and nice color too.
all the best, regards, Josh
Thank you Josh. 23-24 is what i get in Delhi traffic with AC on . When i was doing hatch hunting, fuel efficiency was my priority but I never knew it will turn out to be so good. Compared to my previous petrol hatch the running cost has come down to a third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManavJain View Post
Wat I feel is that Micra is the most under-rated car in its segment. People say that its over-priced but I beg to differ. The diesel base model should be compared with the Swift VDI and not LDI. It has more features than the VDI or Polo Trendline and plus its not common like the Swift...After test driving the Micra, I can vouch for the fact that its the best diesel city car.
Compared to Micra i found the Polo to be over priced by 50k. A friend of mine who owns a Swift was completely blown away by the performance of my micra, though it took him some time to adjust to the bubbly interiors. But ones settled nothing can match the drive abilities of the micra. Its a perfect car for long drives as well. Read Pinksaturday's post
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 14:58   #93
BANNED

Which dealer in delhi did you purchase your car from?
Old 11th April 2012, 23:49   #94
BHPian

I bought it from Agra, Atmaram Automobiles.
Old 21st April 2012, 17:21   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
A friend of mine who owns a Swift was completely blown away by the performance of my micra, though it took him some time to adjust to the bubbly interiors. But ones settled nothing can match the drive abilities of the micra. Its a perfect car for long drives as well. Read Pinksaturday's post
Can you please elaborate your friend's & your own comparison between Swift & your car more particularly with regard to the followings:

1 build quality
2 refinement
3 performance in turbo zone & on long drives
4 high speed stability.
5. Value for money
6. Body rattle.
7. AC effectiveness

Is his Swift the newer model or the old one?

Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:51   #96
BHPian

The comparison was with the old model of swift.

1. Built quality is nearly the same. Micra scores over Swift with some what better quality but dull interiors. However paint quality of swift is superior to Micra's.

2. Both the cars are equally refined.

3 & 4. With swift u can feel the turbo lag. Micra has near zero lag and is as good as a petrol car. Micra is more peppy, it handles better in tight corners, has less frequent gear shifts and you wont feel the pain of driving a diesel car in city. On highways I was initially nervous because of lack of ABS, and light steering. But with time i am comfortable with the steering, brakes are not bad either but respond a bit late. I have done upto 140 kmph with micra and was quite stable. Over all Micra is a very convenient car for city use and Swift is better on highways.

5. With the mileage i am getting Micra is a complete paisa vasul car. Cost of spares and resale price decide the over all value for money which is yet to be seen.

6. Body rattle nil till date with either cars

7. Never tried comparing so cant comment. However Micra's mileage drops by close to 5-6 kmpl with AC in peak summer while the drop is 2-3 kmpl with swift.
bravo82in is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 16:09   #97
BHPian

Hey Folks,

Thanks a lot to all the contributors for putting up so much valuable information on this thread. I have been researching for my next hatch. And after having the original inclination towards the Figo, now I am starting to tilt towards the Micra. One of the key reasons why I am getting distracted from the Figo of late is those small things like the squeaks, dashboard vibrations, rattles, thuds, creaking [all buzzwords picked up from tbhp portal on the figo threads - not figments of my imagination]. But, the contrarian view that I get is "Which car doesn't have these ?". So, I request the followers & contributors of this thread to help me know a little more about these aspects of the Micra on the basis of your first hand experience & knowledge. That could help me be at peace about these matters & help me in my decision making for my next BIG spend. Thanks in advance !
Old 14th May 2012, 18:04   #98

Dear ajayc123

I own a Micra dCi (XV Diesel) for the past 5 months and I assure you there are no cabin sounds of any sort at whatever speed/rpm/gear combination. No dashboard sound, no creaking, absolutely nothing. The sound proofing is amazing considering diesel engines do make more noise than petrol.

As for specific activity related sounds, I must point out two things - the Micra has an out of the world pickup (yes, the diesel) and when you really rev it for a quick pick-up, theres a split second creak that emanates from the rear of the car. I have been unable to pin point the source of this. The only other sound is the sound of the brakes when parked on a slope/incline. As the car settles into or out of parking, the brakes make a high-bass rubbing sound. Its very minor, but its there. This used to be a (feature) in my 7 year old Indica DLS too. However, none of these two sounds worry me to rush to the workshop. Servicing is due in two weeks and I can update you Nissan's response to these sounds.

Whatever car you choose, make sure you try back-to-back test drives. Its the only way your mind and body shall sense the ergonomic superiority of the Micra - especially against the Figo and the Polo (which were the two other cars I considered before finalising the Micra).

Good luck!
Old 15th May 2012, 22:29   #99
BHPian

pinksaturday, many thanks for your precise feedback, i must admit your eye (or rather ear) for detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksaturday View Post

I assure you there are no cabin sounds of any sort at whatever speed/rpm/gear combination. No dashboard sound, no creaking, absolutely nothing. The sound proofing is amazing
Good luck!
that sounds encouraging !

Quote:
Servicing is due in two weeks and I can update you Nissan's response to these sounds.
Good luck!
Yes indeed, that would be really helpful. Must thank you in advance. If you can also share with us your overall service experience, that would be quite useful.

Quote:
Whatever car you choose, make sure you try back-to-back test drives. Its the only way your mind and body shall sense the ergonomic superiority of the Micra - especially against the Figo and the Polo (which were the two other cars I considered before finalising the Micra).
Good luck!
Yes, I had taken a TD of the diesel variants of Liva, Figo & Micra on a single day, & I could feel that the Micra engine was really raring to go from the word go & the sound insulation was the best.

Quote:
The sound proofing is amazing
Good luck!
I agree with your comment about soundproofing. During my test drive, I had used the android app "Noise Meter" to do the sound comparison of the three cars under various conditions like switched off ( windows down, windows up), switched on but stationary (idling, 2000 rpm, 3500 rpm etc), driving (normal & max) & found that the Micra indeed had the best soundproofing.

I am planning to take another test drive of the Micra in the coming weeks to see if I can reach a conclusion (within months, or quarters, & hopefully not - years).

I am a little disappointed, that they are not offering ABS/EBD on the Micra diesel variant, but I am tempted to compromise on this [ as I generally follow the speed limits & rarely go out on the highway, & drive with extreme caution etc] because I am being charmed by the engine in particular & build quality in general. I know, I am going contrary to the team bhp moderators' general advise about going for ABS/EBD, but yes, I don't mind any "expert" piece of mind from them as well that may change my mind.

Another area that I am still researching about it the choice between climate control (premium variant) versus regular ac ( regular variant), any advise from anybody (covering pros & cons ) would help.

Let's see what time has in store for me! How long this state of decision making will last? Time will tell.
Old 5th June 2012, 19:30   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I agree with your comment about soundproofing. During my test drive, I had used the android app "Noise Meter" to do the sound comparison of the three cars under various conditions like switched off ( windows down, windows up), switched on but stationary (idling, 2000 rpm, 3500 rpm etc), driving (normal & max) & found that the Micra indeed had the best soundproofing.

I am planning to take another test drive of the Micra in the coming weeks to see if I can reach a conclusion (within months, or quarters, & hopefully not - years).
Have you finalized ? Noise meter sounds interesting. Feel that automobile companies should publish the noise level inside & outside the car at different conditions, like idle ,window closed, window open, 100 kmph speed etc. etc. By the way, have you used your method on new Swift. Heard that it is way refined than the older version. If that is so, Swift diesel should be the 2nd most quite diesel hatch after i-20. Welcome your views on this with a comparison to Micra-diesel.

Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 14:16   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Noopster over all i love the car. The FE figures were even hard for me to believe, Its the one displayed by the cars computer(or what ever it is called). I have checked it thrice on a 50 km highway run, with one stop at toll plaza and one through a 500-700 metres of crowded area. Yes i was bit cautious not to race beyond 2000 rpm / 80 kmph and not to push the accelerator hard. But the figures sustained for over 50 kms and that too thrice.
Hi Bravo!

Though no plans to buy a car now, I did a TD of Micra Diesel yesterday. The demo car was the lower version one, but was loaded with features. I liked the key less function the most. It was very refined on the move, fantastic all round visibility from driver's seat, puling power was excellent too. I could do 120 kmph & the car was stable till that speed. Could not feel that break is worst like many have remarked.Very easy to drive & to live with Micra. You have made a great choice. FE you are getting is a bonus. What is the current FE in city & highway under the scorching heat. You had mentioned that it drops drastically with summer heat. Please inform the difference in MID FE & FE calculated on TFM. During my TD of approx 12 km, the MID FE came to 18 kmpl after I had reset the same to zero. This included raving to 3500 rpm. Till 3000 rpm, the noise of the engine was very controlled. What is the speed the car achieves on top gear @ 3500 rpm? I guess it should be around 140 kmph & is doable on highways with out much effort.

The SE was very courteous & arranged the TD in 5 minutes. Other showroom staff seemed to be extremely polite.

One sore point for me was the clutch pedal is placed much higher to my liking. It is way above the brake pedal. In most cars, both brake & clutch pedal are placed at similar heights. Your comments? Is it not causing any inconvenience to you ?

My TD was just after 250 km drive on Verna 1.6 CRDI, even then I was impressed with the car.Overall a superb package. Nissan must provide ABS & passenger airbag without any further delay. I am sure lack of those are driving away many prospective customers from Nissan's showroom.

Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 23:35   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan

Nissan must provide ABS & passenger airbag without any further delay. I am sure lack of those are driving away many prospective customers from Nissan's showroom.

Thanks
I agree, this is becoming a major deterrent for me. I am on the lookout for my next diesel hatch. I love Micra for what it has, but I hate it for what it doesn't have. Lack of abs/ ebd is likely to sway my decision towards the figo.
Old 5th July 2012, 14:44   #103
BANNED

I purchased a Nissan Micra XVD on 10th June...I am delighted with the car...It has no trubo lag whatsoever and drives like almost a petrol...I am getting a mileage of around 17 kmpl in Delhi traffic...Went to Saharanpur recently and got a mileage of 22 kmpl...yesterday while coming back from Gurgaon i resest the FE display meter and drove at 70 kmph in 5th gear and the average FE was showing 33.5 kmpl...Now dats outstanding...
ManavJain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 16:09   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManavJain View Post
I purchased a Nissan Micra XVD on 10th June...I am delighted with the car...It has no trubo lag whatsoever and drives like almost a petrol...I am getting a mileage of around 17 kmpl in Delhi traffic...Went to Saharanpur recently and got a mileage of 22 kmpl...yesterday while coming back from Gurgaon i resest the FE display meter and drove at 70 kmph in 5th gear and the average FE was showing 33.5 kmpl
So I guess the Nissan Micra diesel is the uncrowned winner of the most practically fuel efficient car now, with a couple of reports in the forum itself. I have not heard any Indica, Swift, Ritz or Beat owners mentioning 30+ averages. Correct me if I am wrong.

Congrats ManavJain! We would like to know more on your ownership experience with snaps.
Old 9th August 2012, 21:59   #105
BANNED

My Micra has completed 5000 kms in less than 2 months of ownership...It has been a hassle-free ride till date...Touchwood...The FE I am getting is around 18 in city traffic with 100% AC on and 26-28 on highways with 100% AC...If driving between 60-70 kmph on an open road/ highway, I easily get 32-36...Yet to get the 1st service done...Very happy with my decision of purchasing the lil bug...

Most Viewed