Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 13:08   #61
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I opted for Synthetic Oil from Toyota and hence my bill came to Rs. 4150/-
Had I opted for Mineral Oil, the bill would have been somewhere around Rs. 1700/-

Replacements done
  1. Oil Filter
  2. Windshield washer fluid
  3. Wheel Balancing Weight
  4. Oil Pan Drain Gasket
  5. Synthetic Oil - 4 liters
Other Works
  1. Wheel Alignment
  2. Wheel Balancing
  3. Tyre Rotation
  4. Nitrogen Top-up
Thanks for the update Amalji. I too have completed 10K on my Etios VD and the 2nd service cost came to just under Rs 1700. Did the service advisor provided option for synthetic oil or was that instruction from you? I was not told about this option at Infinium Toyota Ahmedabad. Also what would be the oil change cycle for synthetic oil? Also on my 2nd service I asked the SA for wheel alignment and balancing which he mentioned that it was not needed unless i had issues with steering. So i guess your service workshop is definitely better than one I am visiting. I think I need to report this as a feedback to the workshop.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
Thanks for the update Amalji. I too have completed 10K on my Etios VD and the 2nd service cost came to just under Rs 1700. Did the service advisor provided option for synthetic oil or was that instruction from you? I was not told about this option at Infinium Toyota Ahmedabad. Also what would be the oil change cycle for synthetic oil? Also on my 2nd service I asked the SA for wheel alignment and balancing which he mentioned that it was not needed unless i had issues with steering. So i guess your service workshop is definitely better than one I am visiting. I think I need to report this as a feedback to the workshop.
1) I too was not told about synthetic. When I asked about it, he said, he would recommend synthetic if I'm planning to keep the car for long and cost of service is not an issue.
PS: I've good experience with Mobil1 synthetic oil on my old Esteem. So, synthetic oil is always a teaser for me.

2) My service advisor told me that wheel balancing comes free of cost ( We need to pay for the weights though ). With regards to alignment, he told me that I had the option of not doing it as well. I told that I need it. But, it turned out that the change in alignment needed was insignificant inspite of myself engaging in high speed driving through the bad roads in Kerala.

The reason why I opted for the alignment was that certain complaints in steering/suspensions is noticeable only when alignment is done. We might not be able to pick these issues in the early stage of the problem. With alignment, we have the option of doing it from the authorized service center or from outside. When we do it from authorized service center, we have to trust Toyota that they have done it properly. There is a rumour that service centers ( atleast, Maruti ) do not do it properly due to the sheer volume of cars they have to service per day. Add to that, the possibility of tyre wear. Alignment changes need not always be noticeable while driving the car.

But, if we do it from outside, and they notice an issue with our suspension/steering, we'll have to bring the vehicle back to Toyota to get it fixed. That's the disadvantage we have, when we do it outside.

I guess, the best option is to opt for Toyota Smiles package which has free ( or hugely discounted, not 100% sure ) alignment done along with it. I'll have to inquire about it the next time, I visit the service center.
Old 20th March 2012, 14:52   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
Also on my 2nd service I asked the SA for wheel alignment and balancing which he mentioned that it was not needed unless i had issues with steering. So i guess your service workshop is definitely better than one I am visiting. I think I need to report this as a feedback to the workshop.
The alignment and balancing will be looked into if there are any issues with the car, else they will not touch it. This is as per the instructions from TOYOTA.

Are they hesitant to work on the alignment or the car is built in such a way that it doesn't need too much work with the alignment and balancing. If its the latter, then its a good job done.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 17:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Are they hesitant to work on the alignment or the car is built in such a way that it doesn't need too much work with the alignment and balancing. If its the latter, then its a good job done.
Well my experience is that even after 10K kms of running the car does not show any sign of pulling on either side or any wobbling issue at any speed. So that does show the quality of suspension/parts and it does not require immediate work for alignment or balancing. However I think a regular checkup would have solved a potential minor issue which may go unnoticed on regular drive. Also I think tyre rotation should be done atleast at 10K.
automachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 18:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine
Well my experience is that even after 10K kms of running the car does not show any sign of pulling on either side or any wobbling issue at any speed. So that does show the quality of suspension/parts and it does not require immediate work for alignment or balancing. However I think a regular checkup would have solved a potential minor issue which may go unnoticed on regular drive. Also I think tyre rotation should be done atleast at 10K.
Tyre rotation was done free of cost for me. They told me that it's included with 2nd service. And yeah, absolutely no symptoms of alignment issues after 10,000 kms of hard driving. I guess the trade mark toyota reliability stays true for a long time. :-)
Old 20th March 2012, 19:25   #66
PCS
BHPian

Hey amalji, looks like you are very very happy with etios diesel !!!
Let me ask one question. If you have to rate etios diesel as a car,wat would be your rating out of 10. Am seeing lots and lots of etios on the road these days.... And believe me , car looks awesome. I think it's one of the BEST NO NONSENSE PRACTICAL CAR AVAILABLE TODAY , wat say? It is reliable, lots of space, awesome mileage, engine with loads of torque, less spare and service costs. And T badge....

Initially people never liked, but now people are slowly realising this. It's always with any Toyota cars... People realise only when they use. More u use, more u love the product...
Old 21st March 2012, 16:20   #67
BHPian

Hi Amalji,

Nice to see the Etios living it up.

Just a question on the in-cabin noise (tyre & road).

- Does Toyota subscribe to the Wurth under-body rust PLUS sound-deadening package.?

Your response will help clear a few niggling doubts.

Regards,
Old 21st March 2012, 18:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS
Hey amalji, looks like you are very very happy with etios diesel !!!
Let me ask one question. If you have to rate etios diesel as a car,wat would be your rating out of 10. Am seeing lots and lots of etios on the road these days.... And believe me , car looks awesome. I think it's one of the BEST NO NONSENSE PRACTICAL CAR AVAILABLE TODAY , wat say? It is reliable, lots of space, awesome mileage, engine with loads of torque, less spare and service costs. And T badge....

Initially people never liked, but now people are slowly realising this. It's always with any Toyota cars... People realise only when they use. More u use, more u love the product...
indeed, I'm very happy with the etios.
If the interior looks doesn't matter ( for me, it doesn't ), the car gets a 9 out of 10 rating and is the best car in the segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth
Hi Amalji,

Nice to see the Etios living it up.

- Does Toyota subscribe to the Wurth under-body rust PLUS sound-deadening package.?

Your response will help clear a few niggling doubts.

Regards,
Toyota is subscribed to 3m. I didn't see any reference to wurth in their promotion leaflets ( I've checked each and every leaflet@ toyota service centre )

The noise is very evident only at very high rpms, which you don't have to be on diesel turbo charged vehicles. You remain on 1500 to 3000 rpms for more than 98% of the time.

Vibrations are well controlled and is even better than the swift ddis

Road noise is lesser for the etios diesel thanks to the additional damping done on diesel variant.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 23:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post

The tyre and road in-cabin noise can be reduced with following:
1. tyre change to better, quieter tyres, will need to investigate which ones are better, depends upon budget one wants to spend vis-a-vis comfort level with the noise, noticeable more prominently at high speeds on highways

2. underbody coating, done thickly - this you have to particularly watch as the accessories people try to cut short with thin coat. Toyota as such does not subscribe to any brand, 3M or Wurth. It depends upon what the dealer has subscribed to/tied up with. Either one is good but thick coat is must. AFAIK there is no specific sound deadening package offered by Toyota unless any dealer is claiming they have something with them.

3. probably carpet lamination, thick rubber floor mats, toyota ones are little thinner but still good quality than the market, and boot Luggage Tray which is really good from both sound, aesthetic and cleanliness perspectives
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:23   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
The tyre and road in-cabin noise can be reduced with following:
1. tyre change to better, quieter tyres, will need to investigate which ones are better, depends upon budget one wants to spend vis-a-vis comfort level with the noise, noticeable more prominently at high speeds on highways

2. underbody coating, done thickly - this you have to particularly watch as the accessories people try to cut short with thin coat. Toyota as such does not subscribe to any brand, 3M or Wurth. It depends upon what the dealer has subscribed to/tied up with. Either one is good but thick coat is must. AFAIK there is no specific sound deadening package offered by Toyota unless any dealer is claiming they have something with them.

3. probably carpet lamination, thick rubber floor mats, toyota ones are little thinner but still good quality than the market, and boot Luggage Tray which is really good from both sound, aesthetic and cleanliness perspectives
3M does have some sort of sound deadening sheets. Have asked for some more information on cost and where to buy it. Will keep my thread posted once I get the information.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:51   #71
Team-BHP Support

Need some rpm information

Since your vehicle has a tacho, can you please let me know the RPMs at the following speeds?
1. 20kmph in 1st gear
2. 40kmph in 2nd gear
3. 60kmph in 3rd gear
4. 80kmph in 4th gear
5. 100kmph in 5th gear
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:56   #72
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need some rpm information

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Since your vehicle has a tacho, can you please let me know the RPMs at the following speeds?
1. 20kmph in 1st gear
2. 40kmph in 2nd gear
3. 60kmph in 3rd gear
4. 80kmph in 4th gear
5. 100kmph in 5th gear
I did not have the kind of traffic today to take the car to the speed I want to. But, did a quick mapping. There could be an error of +/- 100 rpms

1st @ 20 kmph = 2000 rpm
2nd @ 40 kmph = 2200 rpm
3rd @ 60 kmph = 2500 rpm
4th @ 80 kmph = 2400 rpm
5th @ 100 kmph = 2000 rpm

Also, I've done a full mapping on my initial post . I hope, you've seen it already.

Last edited by amalji : 22nd March 2012 at 22:01.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 00:51   #73
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton.
I was actually using the 20,40,60,80 as the upper speed limits for 1,2,3,4th gears
considering peak power in Liva is at 3800rpm, and torque range is 1800-2400, I thought 2000-2200 is the best shift up point.
I guess I need to shift a little lower for 2-3 and 3-4. Maybe 30ish for third gear shifting, and shift to 4th at 50.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:51   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
probably carpet lamination, thick rubber floor mats, toyota ones are little thinner but still good quality than the market, and boot Luggage Tray which is really good from both sound, aesthetic and cleanliness perspectives
Any cost indications on carpet lamination and where is a good place to get it done.

Boot luggage tray @ Rs 1685/- via Toyota authorized product seems to be a good buy.

I have also been asked to go for an exterior teflon Coating for Rs.3200 ( 1yr warranty) and an underbody anti-rust treatment for Rs 4700 (5yr warranty)
Do these really work.? Just loud thinking.

I was hoping to go for a rather thick anti-rust coating from either 3M or Wuerth - provided we know the service station personnel & their quality of work.

Thanx a bunch, parsh.
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:10   #75
Senior - BHPian

My replies in Bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Any cost indications on carpet lamination and where is a good place to get it done.

Frankly, no clear idea though had seen quite a few work in progress in Sion Koliwada, Milan Subway. You could also check with Orchis, Vikhroli, they do very good work for car upholstery and I think they also do this.

Boot luggage tray @ Rs 1685/- via Toyota authorized product seems to be a good buy.

Seems good. We too got it for our Etios.

I have also been asked to go for an exterior teflon Coating for Rs.3200 ( 1yr warranty) and an underbody anti-rust treatment for Rs 4700 (5yr warranty)
Do these really work.? Just loud thinking.

Teflon - Strict No No. Its no Use and Team-BHP does not recommend it at all. Rather keep your car regularly cleaned and wax polished, Formula1/Armourall etc is good in that.
Anti-Rust - MUST in Mumbai at least. We got Wurth for Rs 4200 5 yrs Warr from DSK Toyota Pune for our Etios. BUT as I said watch out for the thickness and ask them to do thick coats and not just leave at a thin single coat.

I was hoping to go for a rather thick anti-rust coating from either 3M or Wuerth - provided we know the service station personnel & their quality of work.

Thanx a bunch, parsh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks