Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 21:12   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Anyone driving an Etios with steel wheels? Any issues in tyre performance because of these as opposed to alloys?

In deciding between the GSP and VSP petrol versions, there is a Rs 60k difference. Other than alloy wheels in the VSP, rest is ordinary stuff, not worth the variant price difference to me. Hence this question.
Old 10th May 2013, 22:46   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Anyone driving an Etios with steel wheels? Any issues in tyre performance because of these as opposed to alloys?

In deciding between the GSP and VSP petrol versions, there is a Rs 60k difference. Other than alloy wheels in the VSP, rest is ordinary stuff, not worth the variant price difference to me. Hence this question.
The advantage with alloys over steel wheels are
  • It doesn't bend on normal impact and hence more safe to use with tubeless tyres
  • Alloys are lighter ( even though in the case of OE alloys, it's not by much ) and hence there is a marginal increase in mileage. Very marginal, I would say

In your case, I would recommend the GSP, and then upgrade to the TRD gunmetal alloys which looks much better than the normal alloys of the Etios.
Old 14th May 2013, 10:35   #198
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : Now at 54,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Can you post few comparison pics of Etios' regular and hydraulic engine mounts when you get this done on your car? Take the pics when both are outside the engine bay so that we can get an idea of the actual dimensions of the mount as some members posted.
I couldn't get the photos of the hydraulic mounts before we fitted it. Service advisor was a bit cautious about giving access. I didn't push as well.

So, I took the photos of both the mounts when fitted and also the rubber mounts after removing them.

The rubber mounts before we replaced it
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-img_20130509_095438.jpg

The new hydraulic mounts fitted
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-img_20130509_154926.jpg

Pictures of rubber mount after removing.
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-img_20130510_134534.jpg
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-img_20130510_134554.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th May 2013 at 01:53. Reason: Corrected typo
amalji is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 19:30   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I couldn't get the photos of the hydraulic mounts before we fitted it. Service advisor was a bit cautious about giving access. I didn't push as well.

So, I took the photos of both the mounts when fitted and also the rubber mounts after removing them.
Where all three engine mounts replaced or only one? What about the GB mount; hydraulic or rubber?
Old 15th May 2013, 00:37   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

Where all three engine mounts replaced or only one? What about the GB mount; hydraulic or rubber?
Only one replaced - the right side Mount.
The others should be rubber. Part number of those mounts have not changed on the facelift model.
Old 15th May 2013, 12:37   #201
Senior - BHPian

A question, since you are familiar with Liva and Etios.

I have to choose between the new Sportivo or the Etios VSP petrol. Given the difference in the wheelbases:

1. How much more cramped do you feel in the rear seats of the Liva?
2. Does the ride/handling change much in the Liva compared to the Etios - in the city and on highways?

The wife wants the big boot of the sedan, which in practice for us will be needed maybe once in a couple of years. I tend towards the Liva, in which the daily driving/parking hassles will be a lot less. Driveability and FE should be pretty much identical.

That of course is one of those tough choices, but answers to the two questions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Sawyer : 15th May 2013 at 12:38.
Old 29th May 2013, 01:53   #202
BHPian

Quote:

1. How much more cramped do you feel in the rear seats of the Liva?
2. Does the ride/handling change much in the Liva compared to the Etios - in the city and on .
Hi!
The Etios' rear legspace is humongous! It has living room like dimensions as most of the reviews say. The Liva is not as big but, it aint small either!
It has pretty good legspace. You wont feel cramped even when the front seats are pushed all the way back.
Only thing is that, the liva feels more peppier due to a shorter wheelbase (90mm less).
Etios remains composed but, you will feel slightly uncomfortable in the rear seats of the Liva when the car is under hard acceleration!

Well, the 15" wheels surely handle better than the 14" ones!
I'm not sure about this but, i believe the Etios is a better handler! But with our city B-to-B traffic, handling is not a thing most people want! Its the manouverability and the compactness that matters!

If you want a small and peppy city car that can smoke other hatches and some C seg saloons, get the TRD sportivo!
If you want a BIG car that is big inside out & is an effortless highway cruiser that swallows your holiday luggage, then the VSP is your car!

Cheers!
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2013, 21:36   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A question, since you are familiar with Liva and Etios.
Sorry for the delay. I was away from team-bhp for a few days due to professional commitments.
I guess, the question is already answered by @Saadat. My views are in agreement with what he wrote and congrats on your Liva TRD.
Old 10th June 2013, 10:56   #204
BHPian

Hi Amalji

You have not said how does your car feel to drive after having installed the hydraulic mount. Do you notice any difference?
Old 10th June 2013, 13:23   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Hi Amalji

You have not said how does your car feel to drive after having installed the hydraulic mount. Do you notice any difference?
I don't think there will be a noticeable difference in driving the car after just replacing an engine mount from rubber to hydraulic. In fact - it should not make a difference as that would confirm the car has remained exactly how it was designed originally.

Edit - please excuse if you were referring to the noise levels only!

Last edited by Reinhard : 10th June 2013 at 13:27.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 23:46   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Hi Amalji

It does feel more refined and smoother. I'm not sure, if it's psychological or not. Anyway, feels smoother than my mother's Liva ( with rubber mounts ) for sure.
Old 11th July 2013, 10:51   #207
Senior - BHPian

Etios is at 36,000 kms and continues to be hassle free.

I had a small accident a few weeks back.

What exactly happened?

My friend was driving and he was taking a hump 5 kms south of Pandalam in MC Road. Suddenly, we heard a big sound and looked back. A biker banged into the rear left of the Etios. It was raining heavily. So probably he skidded on to us.

How we managed it ? ( for the benefit of others who might encounter similar situations in the future )

We parked the car, and went straight to the person, who was lying down under his bike. He was bleeding from the forehead. My friend Visakh pulled him up with the help of an auto driver who was near the spot. He was mildly injured, and he was not in his senses ( He was drunk ). We offered to take him to hospital. But, he was not in a mood to oblige ( Probably because he feared that he could face issues since he was drunk ). We tried calling the Police but couldn't connect. He drove away. We followed him to ensure that he was fine. After a couple of kms, he stopped by the side of a local shop and bought cigarettes. We waited there to ensure that he is fine. Also, took a photograph of his Bike.

Reporting at Police Station

Once, we were happy with the situation, we went to Pandalam Police Station and reported the incident. We requested for a GD entry so that
  • The person doesn't come with a claim later
  • To avoid any perception of hit and run
  • And for the purpose of insurance claim

The Police mentioned that GD entry cannot be given right now because, we mentioned that the person has injury. So, they said, they will wait for 3 days and see if the biker reports the accident in any hospitals around this place. We said, we'll come back after 3 days. Took the mobile number of the Police officer we talked to and left. They mentioned not to get the car repaired before the GD entry is taken.

After 3 days, I called the Police officer and he mentioned that no complaints were received and hence I can come and give an application for the GD entry. I went there and gave the application. ( I had to travel 240 kms to and fro for this ). He could have asked me to give this application on the first day itself. :(

The second day, the Police officer I dealt with was a different person. And he asked for my profession. Once, I told that I work in the IT sector, he mentioned in a casual tone - "So, that means, it will be good for us" and gave a foxy smile. I smiled back without replying anything ( I was 100% sure inside that I am not going to give bribe even if that means I've to travel another 240 kms extra ). As expected, he told me to come back another day after calling him.

After a few days, I fixed an appointment with the Police officer again, and came to collect the GD entry. I could only come by 7pm ( since, I had a few work to complete ). The writer in a Police Station works only till 5 pm. So, by the time, I reached the station, he had left for home. The other Police officer knowing that I came all the way from Kochi called the writer and he agreed to come. When he arrived at the Police Station, he scolded me for being late. I apologized and thanked him for the great gesture. He came back from his home just to give this GD entry. After the whole procedure was over, he saw me tired and he even gave me a bottle of water. It was a great gesture from a government official. So, not everything is bad in Police and Government offices.

So what happened to the car ?

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-img_20130620_130544.jpg
  • Left Tail Lamp broke
  • Bumper had a dent
  • Bumper clips broke

Total Repair cost - 13,300/-

Cost of spares

Tail Lamp - 1,400/- ( very nominal )
Bumper Cost - 2,600/- ( again OK )
They also replaced a few clips for holding the bumper
Then, labour ( for bumper re-fitting, reverse sensor re-fitting )
Painting - around 6,000/- ( A bit on the costlier side, I believe )
PS: I'll post the complete bill later. The cost mentioned above is from my memory.

What I had to pay from my pocket - Rs. 1,000/- ( Since, the car has zero depreciation insurance cover ) + Rs. 300/- ( for reverse sensor re-fitting )

Overall, I'm happy with the workmanship and cost of spares of Toyota.

Etios with the new bumper, tail lamp & the new team-bhp stickers.
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-img_20130706_093951.jpg
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 01:38   #208
BHPian

Well thats a sad incident to have suffered all the damage and also the unnecessary ordeal with the law. But I do think you did the right thing by behaving responsibly and getting all things sorted well.
Old 4th August 2013, 16:05   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by automachine View Post
Well thats a sad incident to have suffered all the damage and also the unnecessary ordeal with the law. But I do think you did the right thing by behaving responsibly and getting all things sorted well.
We made one mistake which I'm clarifying for the benefit of others who might encounter similar incidents.

We should not have let the motor cyclist go before the police arrived at the scene ( we should have found an alternate method to contact police when the number 100 was not working ). Had he raised a complaint one day later, there would have been no proof that he was drunk.
Old 6th August 2013, 08:06   #210
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to update the thread with the mileage, my friend - Srinivasa is getting on his Liva GD. ( I'm too lazy about mileage calculation. So haven't done consistent calculation similar to what he has done )

Car: Liva GD
MOP: Jan 2012
Kms Run: 23000
Terrain: 50% city (10% AC), 50% highway(100% AC)
Average FE: 19.11
Best FE: 21.76
Worst FE: 15.89
Method: Tankful-Tankful

Ps: Whenever I calculated tankful to tankful mileage, it varied between 14 to 21 kmpl depending on speed, traffic and style of driving. So, the mileage written above seems to be consistent with my car's mileage as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks