Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2013, 17:08   #211
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : Now at 54,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Ps: Whenever I calculated tankful to tankful mileage, it varied between 14 to 21 kmpl depending on speed, traffic and style of driving. So, the mileage written above seems to be consistent with my car's mileage as well.

Have you tried the mileage using the OBDII n Torque app? I think the only option is to check the instantaneous mileage rather than for a trip. Correct me if I am wrong.

Once on a Blore-Thrissur drive in the night it registered 26kmpl. I do not know how true it is. But I was doing solo and sticking to the 80km/hr mark.
Old 7th August 2013, 20:52   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohanan View Post

Have you tried the mileage using the OBDII n Torque app? I think the only option is to check the instantaneous mileage rather than for a trip. Correct me if I am wrong.

Once on a Blore-Thrissur drive in the night it registered 26kmpl. I do not know how true it is. But I was doing solo and sticking to the 80km/hr mark.
You can certainly do average mileage on torque pro. Search for the gauge corresponding to average mileage. Just reset the counter before the trip and it becomes trip fuel efficiency. :-)

PS: the logic used for average mileage calculation seems to be wrong though. I had reported about this on another thread where there was a discussion on how accurate the MID data is.

Regardless, the instantaneous mileage can be used to learn which style of driving will give you the best mileage regardless of the accuracy of the actual value. For the most accurate average mileage calculation, stick to tankful to tankful method. :-)
Old 19th August 2013, 18:45   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the most accurate average mileage calculation, stick to tankful to tankful method. :-)
+1 to that, they have far been the most accurate methods of calculating mileage. Be it 2 wheelers or 4 wheelers. The Etios seems to be quite low on mileage in Bangalore Traffic. It has never gone above 12 KMPL within city (with AC) and on the highway it delivers more than my Swift. Have even got a whooping 23 with a steady 90-110 Kays. For a car of its size felt they were really good numbers.
Old 21st August 2013, 21:31   #214
BHPian

Any suggestions for tyre change in the Etios VD. Its at 43K kms and the threads do need a change.

Is the XM2 good enough a choice.

Any recommendations.?
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:05   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Any suggestions for tyre change in the Etios VD. Its at 43K kms and the threads do need a change.

Is the XM2 good enough a choice.

Any recommendations.?
If you get the Michelin XM2, it's good. But, when I searched for it 1 year back, there was no model for Etios VD tyre size.
Another option is bridgestone turanza
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:10   #216
BHPian

What tyre have you opted for, Amalji.

Am considering a comparo between the AR20 & the XM2 with one up-size option iff possible.

Any clues here.
Old 4th September 2013, 12:05   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Am considering a comparo between the AR20 & the XM2 with one up-size option iff possible.

Any clues here.
I went for Bridgestone Turanza because I had no other option. I had to get my tyre replaced close to midnight and the shop was about to close. Michelins are always my favourites. Used to have them on my Esteem and Zen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Life time fuel filter??
How does this work in our conditions.
Yes, tried and tested on the Innova, and now used on the Etios. Normally lasts 1.5 + Lakhs kms.
Old 4th September 2013, 13:10   #218
BHPian

Quote:

I went for Bridgestone Turanza because I had no other option. I had to get my tyre replaced close to midnight and the shop was about to close. Michelins are always my favourites. Used to have them on my Esteem and Zen.

Yes, tried and tested on the Innova, and now used on the Etios. Normally lasts 1.5 + Lakhs kms.
Amalji you are a BHPian so I request you to be more specific about tyres from now on. You say you opted to get Turanza, is it ER300 or ER60 or AR10 or AR20. All these are Bridgestone Turanzas and all are quite different from each other. I am assuming that you got BS Turanza ER300 185/60 R15 84H because this profile comes as stock in Etios. Thanks.
Old 4th September 2013, 14:15   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Amalji you are a BHPian so I request you to be more specific about tyres from now on. You say you opted to get Turanza, is it ER300 or ER60 or AR10 or AR20. All these are Bridgestone Turanzas and all are quite different from each other. I am assuming that you got BS Turanza ER300 185/60 R15 84H because this profile comes as stock in Etios. Thanks.
As far as tyre size is considered. I never go over what the manufacturer says ( unless if it's too thin ). Always had bad experiences with tyre upsizing like bad steering feel, less comfort. So, it's always 185/60 R 15 84H and there's only one Turanza model from Bridgestone for that as you said - ER300
Old 6th September 2013, 00:03   #220
BHPian

Quote:

Any clues here.
Check the thread "toyota etios and liva tyre upgrade"
Have just changed mine to yokohama avs decibel. They are just awesome!
raghuvir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 01:18   #221
Senior - BHPian

It seems, not a very good time for my Etios. My mother was using it in Trivandrum.
She braked hard at the traffic signal and a biker hit the car on the bumper.

Bumper had a dent again. Took it to Toyota.

What to repair ? --> Bumper replacement and re-painting of the bumper
Insurance --> Zero Depreciation Toyota MS Chola Insurance Claimed ( since, I already had to claim once this year )
Time --> Got it back on the 3rd day.
Total Payment --> Rs. 1,000/- ( Minimum charge for any insurance claim )

Toyota delivered the car at my home ( around 15 kms away from the service center ) without charging anything extra for it.

So, my good relation with the Toyota support continues.

Decided to take the Etios for a drive to compensate for the 2 bad days it faced in the last one month or so.

So, off we went to Cherai for an early morning drive.

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-1233127_630722880301645_161689070_o.jpg
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:55   #222
Senior - BHPian

Etios is at 38,000 kms and continues to be a hassle free low maintenance cost vehicle to own.

Decided to replace my wiper blades since, it started giving lines during wipe.
Tried to source Hella Dynaedge, but couldn't find it anywhere in Kochi.
So, tried out a DH Wiper from Emperor car accessories, Kochi.

Cost - Rs. 350/-

It had 2 defects
  1. The wiper rubber was about 1 inch shorter than the stock wipers ==> wipe area affected
  2. The outside part of the wiper ( about 2 inches ) was not touching the glass properly ==> fine lines were coming in the outside part of the wipe.

Center wipe was clean with the DH ones though. But, I was not prepared to take these 2 defects on a new wiper. So, told him ( Emperor car accessories ) that I'm not happy with the wipers. He mentioned that it's because of dust. I disagreed with this argument, and told that I'm ready to pay the money but, also asked him to take the wiper back. Then he agreed to refund the whole amount, and took the wiper back.

The bad experience on a non-standard make made me go to Toyota and they gave me the option to replace only the wiper blade rubber ( for just Rs. 157/- ). Replaced it, and I'm happy now. End of the day, I did not have to compromise on the wipe area or the quality of wipe, and I still saved 200 INR as well. Toyota has taken a lot of effort to keep the running cost damn cheap on the Etios. Kudos to them for that.

This is the part that they replaced - just the rubber.
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-wiper-blade-rubber.jpg

Also bought the Toyota windshield washer fluid. ( Costed Rs. 31.5/- per sachet of 75 ml which can be diluted with 1.5 liters of water )

Windshield washer fluid - front side.
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-washer-fluid_frony.jpg

Windshield washer fluid back side
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-washer-fluid_back.jpg

During my last accident repair, the Diesel sticker on the fuel lid had to be peeled off. So, Toyota also added the stock Diesel sticker when I requested for it.
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-diesel_free_sticket.jpg
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 23:50   #223
BHPian

Quote:

I did a mapping of the rpm to kmph on all gears. Posting the info below.

Attachment 862735

Also posting the torque curve of the vehicle to understand the 'workable torque band' of the vehicle.

Attachment 862737

This is how I normally shift while enjoying my drive on the highways.

1st to 2nd - 1500 to 1800
2nd to 3rd - 2000 to 2500
3rd to 4th - 2500
4th to 5th - 2500 to 3000

PS: The above shifting style is the result of continuous evolution after driving the Etios for 6,000 kms.
amalji, this is exactly what I was looking for, a mapping between rpm to kmph. Appreciate your remarkable effort.

Do you have any similar info about the petrol engine. Even the gear ratios will do just fine.

My Etios G Xclusive lacks a tachometer. Though I prefer shifting gears by engine sound, it will be a good maths exercise finding out the optimal shift points and plotting the transmission torque curves for this peppy 1.5L engine.

The torque curve of the Etios petrol engine is attached below:

Name:  Torque curve for petrol.png
Views: 4636
Size:  10.6 KB

Thanks

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 1st November 2013 at 13:29. Reason: Odometer replaced with tachometer :)
Old 1st November 2013, 14:30   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Master View Post
amalji, this is exactly what I was looking for, a mapping between rpm to kmph. Appreciate your remarkable effort.

Do you have any similar info about the petrol engine. Even the gear ratios will do just fine.

My Etios G Xclusive lacks a tachometer. Though I prefer shifting gears by engine sound, it will be a good maths exercise finding out the optimal shift points and plotting the transmission torque curves for this peppy 1.5L engine.
I haven't done this exercise on the Petrol Etios. Regardless, most gears on the Etios Petrol can be used like an Automatic. There is abundant torque available on all practical rpms.

However, if you do want to map it, this post will help you out. - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3010453
( Post number 335 of Etios Liva Diesel review )
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 14:40   #225
BHPian

Re:Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30,000 kms

Have seen that post of yours, very useful post amalji.
Planning to buy one OBD2 Bluetooth adapter, have to do some research.

Last edited by Apple Master : 1st November 2013 at 14:48.

Most Viewed