Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2018, 13:07   #376
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold

Not sure if anyone has experimented with different engines oils in their Liva/ Etios diesel, I did and wanted to share some personal observations:

I had always used the mineral oil that Toyota service puts in by default, at 1.4 lakh kms service I tried Castrol Edge which is a fully synthetic oil (same viscosity as Toyota) and it was the best thing that has ever happened to this car - smooth, far smoother than it ever was. It is a noisy engine in general but this oil supressed noise and vibration extremely well. It was incredible to notice how a switch from one oil to ther other could make so much difference to how the car feels. What made things even better is that the smoothness and lack of noise and vibration stayed as is for the full 10000kms till next service.

At the next service 1.5 lakh kms, I switched back to Toyota mineral oil just to feel how the car feels, going back to the same old oil and the difference was immediately noticeable - the car felt like it's just been serviced but it was nowhere near as smooth as it was with Edge. Also, like all mineral oil - after about 1000kms of drivig it didnt remain as peppy or fresh.

To keep the experiments going, at 1.6lakh kms, I bought Motul 8100 xcess this time which is also a fully synthetic oil. I always thought highly of the Motul brand and 8100 was supposed to be sort of premium and what not. The change this time was somewhat disappointing, I have only driven 200kms since the oil change but its driving very much like it does with Toyota's much cheaper mineral oil. I can feel a little bit of lightness and peppiness which is good to have but this oil isnt offering the quietness or smoothness that edge did.

One other thing that I have tried recently is the system D fuel additive - bear in mind that my car is at 1.6lakh kms, it hasnt undergone any repairs except the usual oil change, filter change, one time brake pad, one battery, one set of tires, no injector cleaning or clutch change. Anyway so I tried the system D additive, greatly helped with smoothness and idling noise - a very slight increase in mileage (like 5%) since I religiously measure mileage at every tankful (roughly every 8-10 days). In winters without AC I mix of city+highway use I get 21.5kmpl which drops to 18-19 with AC and worst ever is 17kmpl with AC and only bumper to bumper drives throughout the tankful.
P.S i have no commercial interest in anything to do with automobiles or oils, the above comments are based entirely on personal experience which is amateur at best.

Last edited by ff1609 : 10th January 2018 at 13:14. Reason: Added info about fuel additive
ff1609 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 15:10   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
I had always used the mineral oil that Toyota service puts in by default, at 1.4 lakh kms service I tried Castrol Edge which is a fully synthetic oil (same viscosity as Toyota) and it was the best thing that has ever happened to this car - smooth, far smoother than it ever was.
Except for the first 10,000 kms where I used the stock Toyota mineral oil, I have always been on the Toyota Fully Synthetic oil for the rest of the 1.15 lakhs and the drive is noticeably more refined.

Another difference is that the engine feels the same way before and after service which means that the engine oil grade is better maintained over its lifetime.

Even on my old Esteem, I used to have fully synthetic oil - Mobil 1. It was the best thing that I did to my Esteem. The engine revved really smooth with the Mobil 1.

I intend to do the same with my new posession - the Crysta 2.8
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 16:00   #378
Senior - BHPian

1.25 Lakh kms and 6 years of absolute hassle free ownership later, I have sold my Etios for the Innova Crysta Touring Sport 2.8 Diesel AT. The selling decision was taken in a haste since I wanted to take the year end discount offer on the Crysta ( 55,000 INR ) in addition to the imminent price increase in 2018.

As soon as I booked the Crysta from Ravindu Toyota, Bangalore, I called up the Toyota dealers in Kerala about the price I would get for my Etios. Amana Toyota, Wayanad gave me a quote of 4 to 4.2 lakhs. I took my vehicle the very next day and they agreed for 4.2 lakhs. Within 3 days, the money got transferred to my account as well. Even the Toyota U-Trust is typical Toyota. Very professional in the way they operate.

PS: The reason why I had to sell the vehicle in Kerala was because my car registration was in KL and if I sell it in Bangalore, I wouldn't have got proper resale.

Here is the consolidated report of the ownership till date. It has been an absolute joy to own my first Toyota and Etios made me realize why Toyota is a respected brand world wide despite of their boring aesthetic designs. My buying decision in favour of the Crysta had a lot to do with the kind of QDR ( Quality, Durability and Reliability ) experience that I got with the Etios. I hope, it continues the same way with the Crysta as well.

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-planned_service.png

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-unplanned_service.png

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-proactive_service.png

A big thank you to Toyota for taking the effort to design a car for India. It was an excellent vehicle to own. Regardless of the sales numbers, it was tailor made for the Indian roads and Indian families. And inspite of the space, comfort and performance it offered, it was so damn cheap to own despite being a Diesel. I don't think any car currently sold in India ( Petrol or Diesel ) would beat the cheap maintenance cost of the Etios Diesel.
amalji is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 21:46   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Amalji on buying yet another Toyota My Altis is the 3rd in the family. Dad had a Corona in the '70s and as a kid I loved that car helping him wash and wax it. I followed 3 decades later with the 9G and 10G Corollas. Never regretted buying one even for a minute.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 22:48   #380
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold

Sticking with another Toyota was a wise move Amalji! I kept the Liva but also bought a Compass, absolutely hate the service experience and niggles in a brand new vehicle.

Innova or Fortuner would have been a better upgrade in my case too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
1.25 Lakh kms and 6 years of absolute hassle free ownership later, I have sold my Etios for the Innova Crysta Touring Sport 2.8 Diesel AT. The selling decision was taken in a haste since I wanted to take the year end discount offer on the Crysta ( 55,000 INR ) in addition to the imminent price increase in 2018.

As soon as I booked the Crysta from Ravindu Toyota, Bangalore, I called up the Toyota dealers in Kerala about the price I would get for my Etios. Amana Toyota, Wayanad gave me a quote of 4 to 4.2 lakhs. I took my vehicle the very next day and they agreed for 4.2 lakhs. Within 3 days, the money got transferred to my account as well. Even the Toyota U-Trust is typical Toyota. Very professional in the way they operate.

PS: The reason why I had to sell the vehicle in Kerala was because my car registration was in KL and if I sell it in Bangalore, I wouldn't have got proper resale.

Here is the consolidated report of the ownership till date. It has been an absolute joy to own my first Toyota and Etios made me realize why Toyota is a respected brand world wide despite of their boring aesthetic designs. My buying decision in favour of the Crysta had a lot to do with the kind of QDR ( Quality, Durability and Reliability ) experience that I got with the Etios. I hope, it continues the same way with the Crysta as well.

Attachment 1719437

Attachment 1719438

Attachment 1719439

A big thank you to Toyota for taking the effort to design a car for India. It was an excellent vehicle to own. Regardless of the sales numbers, it was tailor made for the Indian roads and Indian families. And inspite of the space, comfort and performance it offered, it was so damn cheap to own despite being a Diesel. I don't think any car currently sold in India ( Petrol or Diesel ) would beat the cheap maintenance cost of the Etios Diesel
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2019, 19:05   #381
BHPian

Hi all!

I am out in the market to purchase new footwear for my Liva. I am SO done with the stock Goodyears. My tyres of choice are the Bridgestone Turanza ER300, the Michelin XM2, Continental CC5 and Yokohama BluEarth. The Michelins being the most expensive at 5500/piece whereas the others stand at 4700.

I am a little biased towards the Bridgestones because I have used Turanzas before and they are good tyres. Given how our city roads shall never improve, wish to go for them. However the others are worthy contenders too.

Please advise me. I wish to keep the same stock size ie 185/60R15.

TIA!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 08:33   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I am a little biased towards the Bridgestones because I have used Turanzas before and they are good tyres. Given how our city roads shall never improve, wish to go for them. However the others are worthy contenders too.
Bridgestone Turanza and Michelin XM2 are my top priorities as well. I'm a bit biased towards Michelin. But, that's just a bias towards the brand. Nothing more to it. You can't be wrong with either of these brands.
Old 25th April 2019, 10:31   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Bridgestone Turanza and Michelin XM2 are my top priorities as well. I'm a bit biased towards Michelin. But, that's just a bias towards the brand. Nothing more to it. You can't be wrong with either of these brands.
Thank you bro. Long time how have you been? I got the Turanza ER300s yesterday. Saved money and changed the spare tyre too. Michelin's were pricey & difference between both was nearly 1k/tyre. Michelin's weighed 7kg per tyre and Turanzas 7.5kg.
Old 27th September 2019, 19:09   #384

Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
1) I too was not told about synthetic. When I asked about it, he said, he would recommend synthetic if I'm planning to keep the car for long and cost of service is not an issue.
Sir what synthetic oil ( brand and grade) you would recommend for diesel etios for Delhi NCR driving

Last edited by Aditya : 28th September 2019 at 17:20. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post permitted
Old 28th September 2019, 05:37   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpassion26 View Post

Sir what synthetic oil ( brand and grade) you would recommend for diesel etios for Delhi NCR driving
I always used the Toyota genuine synthetic oil.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th September 2019 at 17:21. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 28th September 2019, 12:52   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always used the Toyota genuine synthetic oil.
How about an update on the Innova ? How is it holding up viz a viz the Etios. Are the service costs comparable or they differ considering it has bigger engine?
Old 26th June 2021, 09:28   #387
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1719437

Attachment 1719438

Attachment 1719439

A big thank you to Toyota for taking the effort to design a car for India. It was an excellent vehicle to own. Regardless of the sales numbers, it was tailor made for the Indian roads and Indian families. And inspite of the space, comfort and performance it offered, it was so damn cheap to own despite being a Diesel. I don't think any car currently sold in India ( Petrol or Diesel ) would beat the cheap maintenance cost of the Etios Diesel.

A missed opportunity by a huge time gap....
in Bangalore and now looking for a kerala registered etios...
Old 26th June 2021, 10:07   #388
BHPian

Dear Members

I do understand that the query is quite late and may be irrelevant.

But wanted to know if anyone has the latest Etios Platinum Diesel (2018-2020).

I was looking to purchase a Toyota certified second hand diesel Etios(Kochi Toyota U Trust.

But recently saw the Team Bhp thread "Video: Etios owners stage mass protest against Toyota" which got me alarmed.

While there are petrol options available, the reason i decided to look at the diesel Etios was the availability of a Toyota certified one available at Kochi.

Wanted to know:
1.) If i should ditch the diesel altogether
2.) Is the Toyota certified second hand badge and the warranty provided worth taking the risk on the diesel?

If possible, looking to connect with someone who had the car and experience with Toyota Kerala dealer(especially the Kochi one, due to the prospective second hand purchase from there)

Thanks & Regards
Vimal Kumar

P.S. I am completely new to cars, never owned one or even driven one.
I think the Etios suited my requirement:
Usage - mostly long distance trips (bangalore to kerala types), short
distances/commutes - cycle only
Comfort - somehow i always loved the Etios, just got accustomed to it(used to request specifically for it from our company cab service provider)
Reliability - Very important
Features - Least important
Old 27th June 2021, 17:04   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
Dear Members

I do understand that the query is quite late and may be irrelevant.

But wanted to know if anyone has the latest Etios Platinum Diesel (2018-2020).

I was looking to purchase a Toyota certified second hand diesel Etios(Kochi Toyota U Trust.

But recently saw the Team Bhp thread "Video: Etios owners stage mass protest against Toyota" which got me alarmed.

While there are petrol options available, the reason i decided to look at the diesel Etios was the availability of a Toyota certified one available at Kochi.

Wanted to know:
1.) If i should ditch the diesel altogether
2.) Is the Toyota certified second hand badge and the warranty provided worth taking the risk on the diesel?

If possible, looking to connect with someone who had the car and experience with Toyota Kerala dealer(especially the Kochi one, due to the prospective second hand purchase from there)

Thanks & Regards
Vimal Kumar

P.S. I am completely new to cars, never owned one or even driven one.
I think the Etios suited my requirement:
Usage - mostly long distance trips (bangalore to kerala types), short
distances/commutes - cycle only
Comfort - somehow i always loved the Etios, just got accustomed to it(used to request specifically for it from our company cab service provider)
Reliability - Very important
Features - Least important
Given your requirement and if you have more running I would have recommended the diesel but now that fuel prices are more or less the same, either ways you wont go wrong. Both are great engines but the torquey 1.4 D4D which I seldom have been driving for 7 years now, would be the one I would recommend. I get 14kpl in the city and around 21-22kpl on the highway. Just please upgrade to better quality rubber and you will be set. Happy driving!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 10:27   #390
BHPian

Hi Guys,

This is for one a friend who had a 2018 Etios GD. It's mainly used by his father and he wanted to install an infotainment system that integrates the reverse cam as well. Any model reference / help in this regards is greatly appreciated. TIA

Most Viewed