Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 10:23   #76
Senior - BHPian

Liva (my mother's car ) and etios with the team-bhp stickers on :-)

Name:  ForumRunner_20120326_102309.png
Views: 10283
Size:  238.4 KB
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 10:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
3M does have some sort of sound deadening sheets. Have asked for some more information on cost and where to buy it. Will keep my thread posted once I get the information.
Did you manage to get any info on this? It will be damn good if such a thing exists and can work for Etios.
Old 26th March 2012, 19:16   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh

Did you manage to get any info on this? It will be damn good if such a thing exists and can work for Etios.
I had a talk with 3m dealer on this. They told that since the product doesn't give the expected result, they do not recommend it. they also mentioned that production as such is stopped for the sound deadener from 3m for the same reason. Only old stock will be available.
Old 4th April 2012, 00:55   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Accessories that I bought for Etios

3) V-Kool 70 Films on all glasses
-> Love these films. Offers excellent visibility ( 70% VLT ) and at the same time cut down most of the heat ( 94% IR Rejection ). Has 5 years warranty as well. The only downside is the very high pricing.
-> Had previous experience of these films on my Esteem's front windshield. Worked well there as well.
Even though, I had decided to have V-Kool 70 on all my glasses, I couldn't complete the work for windshield due to lack of time. So, I had done it only for rear and sides.

After a bit of research, I have done 3m's CR70 on the windshield. The reason why I opted for 3m are
  1. Since, it's ceramic ( not metallic ), it doesn't interfere with GPS signals. I've used V-Kool 70 on my old Esteem. Even though, it provides excellent protection against the sun, it interferes a lot with GPS signals.
  2. The TSER of 3m's CR70 is 50%, just 10% less than V-Kool 70 whose TSER = 55%. So, it provides very similar performance to that of V-Kool 70.
  3. VFM factor of 3m. CR 70 costs just Rs. 5,000/- whereas V-Kool 70 costs Rs. 11,500/-
  4. 3m as a brand is known to provide reliable products. Even though, its sun films won't be as competent as V-Kool, brand - 3m does provide peace of mind. Add to that, the 5-year warranty as well.
The work was done by Automate, Cochin ( Vytilla - Palarivattom Bye-pass adjacent to Chevrolet & Stanley showrooms )

Last edited by amalji : 4th April 2012 at 00:59.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:37   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. The TSER of 3m's CR70 is 50%, just 10% less than V-Kool 70 whose TSER = 55%. So, it provides very similar performance to that of V-Kool 70.
Thanks for sharing that info. Please pardon for being naive, but what is the "TSER" & from where do we get info @ the film's TSER?
Old 4th April 2012, 15:07   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian

Thanks for sharing that info. Please pardon for being naive, but what is the "TSER" & from where do we get info @ the film's TSER?
TSER = total solar energy rejected in % ( or most accurate measure of heat rejected by a sun control film )
More, the tser, the better.

You will get the tser data in the spec sheet for the film. Just ask for it from the dealer. It's even available online on the manufacturer's website.
Old 19th April 2012, 10:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Accessories that I bought for Etios

2) Alpine SPR-69C Coaxial Oval Speakers
-> Even though the speakers sound good, I prefer the Polk Audio speakers on my old Esteem than the Alpine speakers.
On my mother's Etios Liva, I opted for the Infinity 9633i speakers. I have experience with Polk, JBL, Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood speakers. I have to say that this ( the infinity one ) is the best oval speakers I have ever come across. Sounds great even on the stock head unit that comes along with the Etios ( I had shifted the HU that came along with my Etios to my mother's Liva )

I bought the speakers from Car Shoppy, Pongumood, Trivandrum. They gave it for a special team-bhp price of Rs. 6,500/- .
Motoplaza quoted Rs. 8,000/- for the same speakers.

Last edited by amalji : 19th April 2012 at 10:29.
Old 21st April 2012, 15:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Attended the Etios motor racing launch at Kalamassery Nippon Toyota. Full report posted on
Etios Motor Racing Launch at Kalamassery Nippon Toyota, Cochin

Thank you Toyota for the gifts ( Wireless Foldable Arc mouse, letter pad, pen and the buffet lunch )
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:13   #84
Senior - BHPian

Added the silver, chrome & black gear knobs to my Etios from Kalamassery Nippon Toyota. This accessory was available only for Petrol variant earlier ( since, the reverse gear position is different for the diesel variant, the same cannot be used on Diesel ). Now, it's available for Diesel as well.

Cost including tax - Rs. 550/-

Advantages

Improves the look and feel
More soft on the upper side ( the area which touches the inner palm )

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-20120423-11.36.14.jpg

There were 3 variants available.

1) Silver and Chrome top with Black bottom ( The one which I bought )
2) Silver and Chrome top with grey bottom
3) Red and Chrome top with black bottom

Eagerly waiting for the TRD accessories for Etios and Liva to come to showrooms.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:10   #85
Senior - BHPian

Etios has completed 12,500 kms now. The vehicle has exceeded my expectations in terms of quality of drive. It's a joy to be behind the wheels of this vehicle.

I'm now planning to get an ECU tuning done with the help of enginecal ( I do not want to go for Pete's because they do not give me a customizing option to the tuning.
I'm not interested in having a higher PS for the vehicle. What I'm interested is a torque improvement in the peak torque range of 1800 to 2400 rpms ( which is already the strong point of Etios Diesel ). And I do not want to over stress the engine as well.
Enginecal agreed with me that it makes sense since it improves the drivability even further. Another good thing is that they themselves bought a Liva Diesel and they are playing with it.

They have sent me the modified torque curve and the result of real world performance tests done on their Liva. Attaching them here.

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-test_results.jpeg
The real world test results on the number of seconds saved with peak torque tuned at 185Nm peak torque, since their Liva has clocked only 1200 odd kms. ( I'm planning to go for 190 Nm tweak, since that seems to be the best in terms of performance improvement without compromising on durability and mileage of a 1.4L engine. Also, I've completed the 10,000 kms service )

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-torque_curve.jpeg
The different performance improvement options that they have suggested.

If I'm not happy with one tuning, I can send back the ECU and they'll re-flash it with another tuning setting.

Overall, I've been very happy with the way enginecal has dealt with me till now. Will plan a trip to Bangalore soon to get it fixed. Will keep you all updated.

Last edited by amalji : 6th May 2012 at 12:16.
Old 6th May 2012, 13:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

Wow,what a comprehensive ownership review. I always wanted to write a review a like this, but I own a swift D and there are so many ORs.

Is the engine same as the corolla d is a lower state of tune ? Did you try to investigate this ?

If it is the same as corolla d, then see if you can unlock the potential of the engine thru re-map.
Old 6th May 2012, 14:31   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Wow,what a comprehensive ownership review. I always wanted to write a review a like this, but I own a swift D and there are so many ORs.
Thank you, @F150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Is the engine same as the corolla d is a lower state of tune ? Did you try to investigate this ?
It's the same engine with a different state of tune.
It also uses a smaller Fixed Geometry Turbo instead of the bigger Variable Geometry Turbo used in the Corolla.

The engine can be boosted to the range of 240-250 Nm from its current 170Nm since it's a 1.4L engine. But, I do not want to do that since I do not want the mileage and durability to be affected badly. The enginecal people also recommended this kind of a tweak.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:59   #88
Senior - BHPian

@amalji: How do you compare the front seat comfort of Etios with that of Swift? I have a bad back and Swift's front seat and seating position is the best of all the B segment cars i've tried so far, with proper lower back and upperback support. I would like to know how how Etios' driver seat compares to that of Swift as i'm considering the Liva Diesel for my next upgrade and seating position is the prime reason for this upgrade. Astar isn't very comfortable.

During your next conversation with enginecal can you chec whether its possible to replace the Etios turbo with a slightly larger turbo?

Do you think one can retrofit the Diesel Etios' meter console with the tacho on to the Liva?
Old 12th May 2012, 01:34   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
@amalji: How do you compare the front seat comfort of Etios with that of Swift? I have a bad back and Swift's front seat and seating position is the best of all the B segment cars i've tried so far, with proper lower back and upperback support. I would like to know how how Etios' driver seat compares to that of Swift as i'm considering the Liva Diesel for my next upgrade and seating position is the prime reason for this upgrade. Astar isn't very comfortable.

During your next conversation with enginecal can you chec whether its possible to replace the Etios turbo with a slightly larger turbo?

Do you think one can retrofit the Diesel Etios' meter console with the tacho on to the Liva?
1. The etios front seats offer excellent back support. I've driven 750 kms in a day and found it very comfortable. But, since you already have a back problem, I would recommend that you try it out for yourself before deciding.

2. I'll check with engine cal on that. But, a larger turbo will affect the drivability ( increased turbo lag ) of the car which is the strong point of etios.

3. Till now, the answer has been no from Toyota regarding this tacho fitting. Will let you know if I get a solution.
Old 15th May 2012, 14:26   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. The etios front seats offer excellent back support. I've driven 750 kms in a day and found it very comfortable. But, since you already have a back problem, I would recommend that you try it out for yourself before deciding.
Took the TD of the Liva. Im impressed with this car. Driving position was good, but front seat lacks a bit of lower back support, Swift is clearly better in this regard. But otherwise this car is good. A bit of re upholstering can fix this i think.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks