Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 11:59   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : Now at 54,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
As far as tyre size is considered. I never go over what the manufacturer says ( unless if it's too thin ). Always had bad experiences with tyre upsizing like bad steering feel, less comfort. So, it's always 185/60 R 15 84H and there's only one Turanza model from Bridgestone for that as you said - ER300
How are the tyres holding up? What is the expected mileage? Howz the noise levels on Turanza? I had a Potenza GIII before (on my Swift) and those were too noisy above 100 kmph.

Switched to ZLOs recently and those are much silent upto 100 kmph and also the comfort has increased.

But ZLOs are not as grippy as GIIIs around corners, quite a lot of body roll. So I am missing out on that fun now.
Old 5th November 2013, 21:09   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How are the tyres holding up? What is the expected mileage? Howz the noise levels on Turanza?
1. Covered 25,000 with the Turanzas. Should get another 15k with it. ( style of driving - high speed with frequent braking )
2. Noise levels are OK, not great. I find the Michelin XM 1 + to be more quiet.
3. Grip levels are pretty good.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 23:02   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Covered 25,000 with the Turanzas. Should get another 15k with it. ( style of driving - high speed with frequent braking )
Turanzas are sturdy tyres. Decent/Good grip, not excellent.

Noise level has gone up post 29K kms. I have covered 30.5K on Turanza ER 60

Planning to run them till 40K kms.

Last edited by F150 : 5th November 2013 at 23:03.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 09:18   #229
BHPian

Quote:

Turanzas were stock in your car?
Mine came with GoodYear(not sure about the series). 16300kms done and there's a lot of wear on the edges. Treading on the edges are gone. Too much of cornering and high speeds have resulted in this i believe.
Guess these will last for another 20-25k kms.
Old 6th November 2013, 09:30   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the part that they replaced - just the rubber.
Hi Amalji,

Toyota just replaced the rubber slide of the wiper blade? wow- that is something, I have heard for the first time.

Agree with you, truly brings down the cost of long term maintenance.
Old 6th November 2013, 19:05   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Turanzas were stock in your car?
Mine came with GoodYear(not sure about the series).
Mine too came with goodyears. I slammed it on a pothole filled with sharp rocks. Result --> 2 tyres + 1 alloy gone. Replaced the tyres then, and when I went to Toyota, they mentioned that it can be replaced under insurance. So, got another 2 tyres and one alloy under insurance. So, all 4 tyres replaced when the odo was on 14,000 kms odd. More details of the incident is mentioned on post number 92 of my ownership thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Amalji,

Toyota just replaced the rubber slide of the wiper blade? wow- that is something, I have heard for the first time.

Agree with you, truly brings down the cost of long term maintenance.
Yeah, they just replaced the rubber. The service experience @ Toyota is at a different level. They are fast, professional and efficient at the same time, never try to push something on the customer for the sake of increased revenue for the dealer. I hope, you are getting similar experience for your Fortuner as well.
Old 6th November 2013, 21:06   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Mine too came with goodyears.
My 2011 Etios (P) came with Bridge-Stone Turanza ER300 as OEM (same tyre is stock even in Altis albeit in a 195 size instead of 185). Toyota offers 3 tyres as OEM on Etios & Liva, Goodyear (not sure about the series) MRF ZVTV and Bridge-Stone Turanza ER300.

In-fact to get this tyre I compromised on the color of the car (my preferred Serene bluish silver to White). As with any manufacturer you cannot get the tyre of your choice.

Thanks.
Old 20th November 2013, 18:15   #233
Senior - BHPian

My mother's Liva is back after 3rd Service ( 20,000 kms service )
Total Cost - 2390/- ( Including Wheel Alignment and Balancing )
No complaints. Just the oil and oil gasket replacement. And as usual, the car is given back within 2 hours ( including service, alignment, balancing and full wash ). So not much of a story to tell. Toyota service experience at Nippon Toyota continues to be excellent.

PS: My mother's Etios Liva is serviced at Trivandrum Nippon Toyota while my Etios is serviced at Kalamassery ( Kochi ) Nippon Toyota.

Last edited by amalji : 20th November 2013 at 18:41.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 21:22   #234
BHPian

@amalji: I have been following your ownership report for quite a long time, thanks for the regular updates. Your report helped me decide on the Etios (VD SP) model last July. I had posted in your Google+ account, if you remember. I got the Team-BHP membership only recently.

My car has almost reached 7000 kms and I am loving it. Car performs very well in long drives as well as in city runs. I did not feel the car to be underpowered in highways.

Couple of issues I have noticed are:

1. When the wiper is turned off, sometimes it does not rest at the extreme bottom of the windscreen, where it is supposed to rest. Instead, it stops at a position a little up. To get it to the extreme bottom, the wiper has to be turned on and off once again.

2. When going over big humps, I head a soft thud from the front. It is only audible when no music is playing. I can't remember whether the issue was there right from beginning.

Planning to highlight these issues at my 10K service.
Old 12th December 2013, 05:45   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
@amalji: I have been following your ownership report for quite a long time, thanks for the regular updates. Your report helped me decide on the Etios (VD SP) model last July. I had posted in your Google+ account, if you remember. I got the Team-BHP membership only recently.
I hope, you are enjoying the Etios. Just back after a 1000 kms to and fro journey to Rameswaram ( Dhanushkodi ). The more we use it, the more we love it. It's a fill it, shut it, forget it car in every sense. I've completed around 41,000 kms now. Will be posting the 40k service review soon.

Quote:
My car has almost reached 7000 kms and I am loving it. Car performs very well in long drives as well as in city runs. I did not feel the car to be underpowered in highways.
It's not under-powered at all. Really peppy driving experience. It provides torque where we need it the most in day to day driving.

Quote:
1. When the wiper is turned off, sometimes it does not rest at the extreme bottom of the windscreen, where it is supposed to rest. Instead, it stops at a position a little up. To get it to the extreme bottom, the wiper has to be turned on and off once again.
I've seen this as well. Very rarely. Maybe, 1 out of 20 times or so. But, since I've noticed this in almost all cars I've driven, did not care much about it. I just turn it On once again, and it gets back to the correct position.

Quote:
2. When going over big humps, I head a soft thud from the front. It is only audible when no music is playing. I can't remember whether the issue was there right from beginning.

Planning to highlight these issues at my 10K service.
The Etios 2011 & early 2012 models used to have a big thud sound when taking humps at moderate speed. Toyota replaced the suspensions with a new design free of charge and this was solved. Haven't heard any thud sounds since then. The new 2013 model doesn't have any thud sound. So, if you have it, you might want to show it to Toyota.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 16:01   #236
BHPian

Wow. That's a comprehensive ownership review for Toyota Etios. I just read 1st page and have to sign off now. Shall come back and read the entire thread.
Old 25th March 2014, 08:20   #237
BHPian

Quote:
I've completed around 41,000 kms now. Will be posting the 40k service review soon.
I've been closely (and silently) following your thread for a long time. Thanks for all the info and eagerly awaiting your 40K update!

Last week I took a longish test drive of the etios vd top end. I found that the engine noise, though clearly audible was nowehere near being bothersome or tiring. Behavior over bad roads was pretty good too and the steering, gearshift and clutch felt great. I think I'm ready to forgive the single wiper, 4 alloy wheels (as opposed to 5), 35w (read useless) fog lamps, central console etc. If all goes well, I should be booking one soon

BTW, have you faced problems of muck accumulating around the doors due to lack of door rubber beading? Can we install an aftermarket beading?
Old 27th March 2014, 11:58   #238
Senior - BHPian

If a door isn't opened for a few days, the first time it sticks and needs effort. The beading is the culprit. Any fixes anyone knows? Dusting of talcum powder perhaps?
Old 10th April 2014, 15:25   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
BTW, have you faced problems of muck accumulating around the doors due to lack of door rubber beading? Can we install an aftermarket beading?
Since amalji seems to be away, let me answer. In my Etios, I did not find any issue because of the lack of beading. It is one extra place to clean, that is all. For example, you can find attached a picture of my Etios's back door area, which has not been cleaned for 2 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold-etios_back_door.jpg  

motorsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 21:54   #240
BHPian

Depends on how dusty your area is! It's relative and results will vary. However, I do notice the dust settling in my vehicle. I have constructions going on in full swing very close to my house and its dusty throughout.

Most Viewed