Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2014, 14:06   #271
Team-BHP Support

re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Its located behind the speedometer. You have to open the cover above the speedometer console then unscrew the speedometer console. Behind it the fuse box is located. Its a 15 amp fuse and its difficult to get the fuse of Etios/Liva out side. Its of a smaller size than the regular fuse.

2011 Etios petrol, owners manual has a detailed information on this, in page number 261,262 & 263. Hope it has not changed now.

You can check here for details. I have changed it once. I have put the pictures as well. Please check out post number 30.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/136990-toyota-etios-1-5l-petrol-owners-point-view-2.html

Oh boy
This is seriously stupid. Who puts a fuse inside the speedometer console. What was Toyota thinking!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 22:39   #272
BHPian

Its very easy to access it, pull up the speedo console cover (the entire thing is just clipped on), remove the two screws and you have access.
quadbike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 11:24   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Oh boy
This is seriously stupid. Who puts a fuse inside the speedometer console. What was Toyota thinking!
The panel housing the fuses are actually mounted on the reverse of the speedometer console. The same type of fuse panel is located underneath the steering column in Innova and Fortuner while it is located behind the glove box in the Corolla and Swift (IIRC). On a lighter note, Electrical Designers sure find "weird" places to house the fuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Its very easy to access it, pull up the speedo console cover (the entire thing is just clipped on), remove the two screws and you have access.
Yes you are right @quadbike. It is quite simple actually. Just one caution point. While replacing the fuses from the panel placed at the back of the speedometer console, please be careful of NOT placing the speedometer console face up. That is the front plastic cover should be placed face down at all times (in case you disconnect the wires at the back, else there is no way you can keep it face up). If it is placed face up there are possibilities that the speedometer needle will show erroneous readings. I was once "advised" about this by the Service Advisor.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 22:33   #274
BHPian

Hi. I have heard that diesel cars should be used regularly and there can be problems if left idle for a few days. Can you please throw some light on it? Like what time range are we looking at for keeping a diesel engine idle without causing any issues?
Old 18th May 2015, 13:07   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot for posting this detailed ownership and review of the Etios. I am exploring various options and test drove the Etios Petrol and was impressed with the engine, space & handling of the car.

In the ICE thread you had mentioned that you changed the HU & speakers in your car. Please do post pics of the interior of the car with the HU, speakers and any other changes that you have made. Will help me get to the yes/no stage faster
Old 20th May 2015, 16:56   #276
Senior - BHPian

60,000 kms Service Update

The boring ownership continued for the 60,000 kms service as well.

Highlights
  • Zero unplanned replacements (infact it has been the case with all the previous services as well except for a couple of bulbs and a blown fuse after driving through knee deep water)
  • Timely service
Cost Split-up
  • Labour
    • 60,000 kms inspection labour cost - 1,111 INR
  • Parts
    • Oil Filter - 470 INR
    • Fluid Windshield wash - 3 packs - 102 INR
    • AC Fillter - 315 INR
    • Oil Gasket - 46 INR
    • Synthetic Oil ( 4 liters ) - 3,109.20
  • Taxes - 723.44
  • Total Cost ( inclusive of labour, parts and taxes ) - 5,876.64
Brake pad levels

Front Brake pads - 7mm left
Rear brake drum - 3.5 mm left

Had I used the stock Toyota mineral oil instead of the synthetic oil ( that I specifically requested for ), the Total cost would have been 5876.64 - 2254 = 3,622.64

Had I opted for the SMILES pack where I pre-pay for the next service, I would have saved another 10% on the service cost. This time, I didn't want to spell out liquid money since, my marriage reception was nearing.

Last edited by amalji : 20th May 2015 at 17:14.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 18:07   #277
Senior - BHPian

70,000 kms update & Fuel Filter Replacement

So, finally I have a chance to do an unplanned replacement on my Etios ( After 71,000 kms of zero unplanned replacements ). Yes, the Diesel fuel filter of the Etios is going to be replaced for the first time. With other manufacturers, this is replaced every 20,000 kms as a periodic replacement though. So, if that's a criteria, even this cannot be considered an unplanned replacement.

First, the 70,000 kms service update and then I will come to the fuel filter story.

Highlights
  • Timely service
  • Fuel filter was replaced for the first time in 71,000 kms. In some cars that I know of, it has lasted till 1.5 lakhs kms. In comparison, fuel systems used in other brands forces the fuel filter to be replaced every 20,000 kms. This is because Toyota uses the Denso fuel system with lifetime fuel filters instead of the Bosche fuel systems used by other brands.
  • Fuel filter cost was a meagre 828 INR, with an additional labour cost of 238. In comparison, the new Swift and Amaze fuel filter replacements costs comes to 3000 plus every 20,000 kms! This is because the whole catridge is replaced instead of just the filter.
Cost Split-up
  • Labour Costs
    • 70,000 kms service inspection - 1,155 INR
    • Fuel Filter Replacement - 238 INR
  • Parts
    • Oil Filter - 400 INR
    • Fluid windshield wash - 3 packs - 102 INR
    • Diesel Fuel Filter - 828 INR
    • Oil Filter Gasket - 47 INR
    • Toyota Synthetic Oil - 3109.16 INR
  • Taxes - 822.68 INR
  • Total Cost - 6701.8
Had I used the stock Toyota mineral oil instead of the synthetic oil ( that I specifically requested for ), the Total cost would have been 6701.8 - 2254 = 4447.8 INR

If I didn't have to replace the fuel filter at 71,000 kms ( as is the case with most Etios' Diesels that I know of ), the maintenance cost for 70,000 kms would just have been 4447.8 - 1215.48 = 3232.32

Had I opted for the SMILES pack where I pre-pay for the next service, I would have saved another 10% on the service cost. This time, I didn't want to spell out liquid money since, I didn't want to lose out on liquid money.

The fuel filter story. ( will be useful for all Etios Diesel owners )

My odo reading was at 71,000 kms ( service delayed by around 1,000 kms )

I was travelling from Bangalore to Kochi. The filling was done from Shell, Bannerghatta Road. Around 150kms into the drive, the fuel filter warning light came up. It was staying ON even after I stopped the car, and restarted the engine. Normally, it goes off after a couple of seconds after we turn ON ignition. There was no symptoms at all as far as the drive quality was concerned. Power was good as always, and there was no missing or vibration.

So, stopped the car and called up Toyota 24x7 Roadside assistance ( it was after 12am ), and they redirected me to Anamalais Toyota, Salem's roadside assistance. They asked me for any symptoms and since, there was none, they asked me to drive slowly to Salem which was around 20 kms. In the meanwhile, they also reached the place ( around 20 minutes after I reached ).

First, he removed the tube from the fuel filter and started pumping the fuel to a bottle using a manual pump placed near the fuel filter. He inspected the fuel that came out and told that there was a drop of water and a bit of dirt that came along with the fuel. Since, there was no significant amount of water, and since there was a slight bit ( lesser than a drop ) of dirt on the fuel, he told that the fuel filter is clogged.

I asked to replace the fuel filter on the spot. But, he told even though he brought the spare filter, he did not bring the tools to replace it. :( So, he did some more pumping out of the fuel and told me that it would be good for me to drive till Kochi. After the cleaning and resetting of the dash warning light ( the whole experience took around 1 hour from the time he reached the spot ), I was good to continue the journey again.

I didn't take the vehicle above 100 kmph after that. Was cruising on 5th gear on 90-100 kmph speeds for the rest of the 500 kms. Around 400 kms into the drive, the warning light came back again. But, decided to continue till Kochi since there was no symptoms at all.

Gave the car to Kochi Nippon Toyota and they informed me that the fuel filter is clogged and need to be replaced. And I said yes to it.

The Good Points
  • The proactive warning light on the dash much before the vehicle started giving any symptom.
  • The durability of the fuel filter - lasted upto 71,000 kms which even though low by Toyota standards, was much better than other manufacturers whose fuel filters have to be replaced every 20,000 kms.
  • The cost of the fuel filter which was just 828. In comparison, Honda Amaze and the new Swift Diesel fuel filter replacement costs amount to 3000 plus.
  • The responsive roadside assistance and knowledgable people guiding me as to what needs to be done and what shouldn't be done.
  • The technical know how of the night shift person who came to my rescue was confidence inspiring.
  • The speed of service.
  • The fact that fuel filter spare was available with the roadside assistance because the service center supply would be closed at late night.
The bad Points
  • The fact that the service personnel forgot to bring the tool to replace the fuel filters if needed.
Other Tips for Etios Owners.
  • If the fuel filter light stays on, it would most probably be a case of clogged fuel filter as was the case with me.
  • The Normal life of the Toyota Diesel fuel filters are more than 1 lakh kms. It can be shorter than that depending on the quality of fuel that goes inside. Myself being a regular traveller sometimes have to fill Diesel from remote locations.
  • If the fuel filter light starts blinking, then that could most probably be due to water content in the fuel. Stop the vehicle asap, and ask a service personal to visit you and clear the water for you.

Last edited by amalji : 20th May 2015 at 18:10.
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 18:17   #278
Team-BHP Support

Re: 70,000 kms update & Fuel Filter Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
So, finally I have a chance to do an unplanned replacement on my Etios ( After 71,000 kms of zero unplanned replacements ).
At what mileage does Toyota officially recommend changing the fuel filter ?
Old 20th May 2015, 18:23   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
If my information is correct, then according to Toyota, these denso filter systems should hold up for the entire lifetime of the car. Hence, no change is needed. Ironically, this is not the case with the more expensive Corolla Altis!

Also, I think that with the filter system in Etios, it is possible to drain out accumulated water without warranting a filter replacement. It is a simple 2 minute job.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 20th May 2015 at 18:26.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 18:37   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Just talked with the service team lead of Nippon Toyota, Kalamassery and these are the inputs that I got.
  • Toyota says it's a lifetime filter and shouldn't be replaced till the warning light comes in.
  • Etios Diesels running 2 lakhs plus kms without fuel filter replacement visits Nippon Toyota, Kochi for service.
  • On an average, it's replaced after 1.5 lakhs kms
  • Till now, Nippon Toyota Kochi has replaced only around 10 fuel filters for the Etios Diesels. ( He said, he will give the correct number tomorrow )
  • Even though the fuel filter used as part of the Toyota Diesel engines are lifetime filters, the fuel filter for Petrol engines have to be replaced every 80,000 kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If my information is correct, then according to Toyota, these denso filter systems should hold up for the entire lifetime of the car. Hence, no change is needed. Ironically, this is not the case with the more expensive Corolla Altis!
In Etios, Innova and Fortuner, the lifetime fuel filter is used for D-4D while with the Corolla Altis, it's the conventional filter design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Also, I think that with the filter system in Etios, it is possible to drain out accumulated water without warranting a filter replacement. It is a simple 2 minute job.
Yes, this can be done. The only catch is that if the engine is hot, it will be difficult to put your hands through it without hurting yourself. So, if the job needs to be done fast when the engine is hot, the battery has to be dismantled so that you get enough free space to move your hands without touching the hot parts in the bonnet.

Last edited by amalji : 20th May 2015 at 18:53.
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 14:53   #281
BHPian

Hi Amalji,

Its been a while since you updated your thread. Can we have the updates on the car's performance please ? A friend of mine is looking at buying the Etios VxD variant. Looks like a sensible buy. Let me know if you think otherwise ?
Old 21st July 2015, 15:40   #282
BHPian

Is the cost of the filter Rs.238 or Rs.838 as mentioned by you differently in the post?
Old 21st July 2015, 17:15   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Is the cost of the filter Rs.238 or Rs.838 as mentioned by you differently in the post?

Bifurcation under the heading Cost Split-up

labour costs
  • labour charges for replacement of fuel filter Rs 238/-

Parts
  • Diesel fuel filter cost Rs 828/-
driving_smartly is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2015, 10:56   #284
Senior - BHPian

I have a 1.5 litre petrol Liva and since it is so boringly reliable, I haven't bothered to start a thread, instead I will use this one to once again remark on how good their service operation is - at least in DSK, Pune.
I have a Tata and a Maruti and I have owned Hyundai cars in the past. Tata is catching up to Maruti and Hyundai, but DSK Toyota is a class of its own.
Get there with the car at the appointed time of 8 30 am and you see how bustling and
energy filled the office is - unlike some that look like government departments at that time.
Everything is well choreographed all the way down to paying the bill.
In between, the car service is done to excellent standards.
I am very sure the service operations are close to world class. For DSK, at any rate.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 15:55   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I am very sure the service operations are close to world class. For DSK, at any rate.
Same with Nippon Toyota, Kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyRider View Post
Hi Amalji,
Its been a while since you updated your thread. Can we have the updates on the car's performance please ? A friend of mine is looking at buying the Etios VxD variant. Looks like a sensible buy. Let me know if you think otherwise ?
Sorry, missed this post. My parents are looking for a new automatic. But, they are delaying the decision just because Toyota sedan in the target price range doesn't have an automatic. I think, that explains the trust that we have in this brand because of 4 years of Etios and Liva diesels.

As far as the performance is considered, I wouldn't be able to make out the difference between a new Etios diesel and the 80,000 kms run Etios diesel of mine. It still gives the same old feel. And zero mechanical replacements till now, other than the periodic replacements ( that too after double and triple the normal life of replacement intervals followed by other manufacturers. )
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks