Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2015, 19:40   #286
PCS
BHPian

re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT: 125,000 km up & sold

Hi Amalji. Excellent thread for an excellent no nonsense car.

2 queries

1. Overall out of 10 , how would you rate the car ?

2. One of my cousins would like to buy. But before that looking at your ownership thread , I have suggested that let us both talk to you , may be on a phone as con call or e mail. Please let us know your details.
PCS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 09:00   #287
Senior - BHPian

It is a pity that the Etios/Liva isn't being bought by a lot more people, seeing how much they fit the need for a long life car that is reliable and cheap to maintain. Less flash, but a LOT more substance. I bought mine to use for at least 10 years and I can see that happening quite easily.

I think Toyota hasn't marketed these cars very well. Toyota Cross kind of antics isn't the answer.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 11:53   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Hi Amalji. Excellent thread for an excellent no nonsense car.

2 queries

1. Overall out of 10 , how would you rate the car ?
9 out of 10. I would reduce 1 mark because of the following reason.
  • The odometer looks could have been much better. Toyota did not address this even in the latest version. It's not the position that I'm concerned about. But, it's the look and feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
2. One of my cousins would like to buy. But before that looking at your ownership thread , I have suggested that let us both talk to you , may be on a phone as con call or e mail. Please let us know your details.
I had already shared my contact number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
It is a pity that the Etios/Liva isn't being bought by a lot more people, seeing how much they fit the need for a long life car that is reliable and cheap to maintain. Less flash, but a LOT more substance. I bought mine to use for at least 10 years and I can see that happening quite easily.

I think Toyota hasn't marketed these cars very well. Toyota Cross kind of antics isn't the answer.
Toyota never markets aggressively. They think, people will go and buy it without any of that. In a way, it's good because instead of wasting money on marketing and giving funky accessories, they are investing on giving a quality product. Most Toyota products grow on you with age. The dud - Etios still sells 2500 odd per month, 5 years after its release. For a non-Maruti/Hyundai vehicle, that's no small number. for instance, the fluidic Verna which was such a hit now sells a meagre 1500 units per month 4 years after release.

And I feel that Etios is to Vios, what Qualis was to Innova.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 15:37   #289
Senior - BHPian

Battery replaced @ 79000 kms ( 3 years, 8 months )

The battery of the Etios died recently. I got it replaced with Amaron ( old one was Exide ). Costed 4,600 inclusive of all taxes ( after they took back the old battery ). They ( a local battery dealer ) brought the battery home and did the replacement.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:04   #290
Senior - BHPian

81,000 kms service

80,000 service at 81,421 kms on the odo

Since, I was travelling to Ooty via Coimbatore, I planned to perform the Toyota EM60 service on the way at Coimbatore Anamalais Toyota.

Called one day back and asked if there is an appointment the next day morning for EM60 service. They told it's fully booked. I described why I needed it badly and that I even fear that my brake pads are almost worn out. The issue was escalated to the team lead there. After hearing my story, he told he can give me a special appointment at 9 am.

I was late by 30 minutes when I reached the service center. They were very accomodative since, they knew that I was travelling from Bangalore and finished the service by 11 am sharp. It's only with Toyota that we can plan such quick service to go through hassle free. During the 1.5 hours at the service center, me as well as all my family members ( total of 5 ) were all given tea and juice as well. Thank you Anamalais Toyota for all the courteousness and helping me out during the last minute plan.

Now, coming to the service. It's the same old story - the same periodic replacements. Everything else holds up well.

Cost Split-up

Parts
  • Oil Filter ( replacement interval - 10,000 kms ) - 400 INR
  • Windshield washer fluid ( replacement interval - 10,000 kms ) - 105 INR ( 3 sachets )
  • Brake Fluid ( replacement interval - 40,000 kms ) - 266 INR
  • Air Filter ( replacement interval - 40,000 kms ) - 200 INR
  • Oil Filter Gasket ( replacement interval - 10,000 kms ) - 47 INR
  • Synthetic Oil ( replacement interval - 10,000 kms ) - 3109.20 INR
  • Total Parts Cost - 4127.2 INR
  • Value Added Tax @ 14.5% = 598.45

Labour
  • 80,000 kms service - 1386 INR
  • Service Tax @ 14% - 194.04 INR

Total Cost = 4127.2 + 1386 + 598.45 + 194.04 = 6,305.69 INR

Had I not opted for Synthetic oil and instead used the stock Toyota Mineral Oil ( which is recommended by Toyota for the Etios ), the service cost would have been 4,051.69 INR instead of 6,305.69

Had I opted for SMILES, I would have got another 10% discount.

Brake Pad Levels

Front discs - 4 mm left
Rear drums - 3 mm left

So, the front discs should hold up for atleast another 10,000 kms
and the rear drums should hold up for close to another 1 lakh kms.

Last edited by amalji : 18th September 2015 at 16:27.
Old 19th September 2015, 10:26   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Same with Nippon Toyota, Kerala.

As far as the performance is considered, I wouldn't be able to make out the difference between a new Etios diesel and the 80,000 kms run Etios diesel of mine. It still gives the same old feel. And zero mechanical replacements till now, other than the periodic replacements ( that too after double and triple the normal life of replacement intervals followed by other manufacturers. )
You gave me some good advice.
One of my colleagues became fan of Toyota Etios due to your ownership reviews. He got his Etios VXd (super white color) delivered on 16th September.
Old 30th September 2015, 12:07   #292
Senior - BHPian

Met with a small accident

Met with a small accident recently.

How it happened ?

I was waiting at the traffic signal to turn green. Suddenly, I heard a loud noise at the rear. A car banged on my back. Suddenly, this car reverses, takes a right turn into a narrow lane and flees away! It was dark and raining, and I couldn't even note his number.

Damage

A dent in the boot. Bumper didn't look to have any damage. But, apparently, the bumper clips were damaged.

Labour

Paint Repair - 7623 INR
Body Repair - 734 INR
Service tax @ 14% for 70% of paint repair - 747.05 INR
VAT @ 7% for paint repair - 533.61 INR
Service tax for Body Repair - 102.76 INR
Total Labour ( inclusive of taxes ) - 9740.42

Parts Charges

Piece, RR Bumper ( 4 nos ) - 312 INR
Toyota Chrome Badge - 468 INR
Etios Chrome Badge - 468 INR
VD Chrome Badge - 425 INR
Toyota Chrome emblem - 950 INR
VAT @ 14.5% - 380.34 INR
Total Parts charges ( inclusive of taxes ) - 3003.34 INR

Total Repair cost = 12,743.76 INR
What I had to spent from my pocket ( after the insurance claim of Toyota MS Chola Zero depreciation insurance ) = 1000 INR

Zero depreciation is a must have insurance for all vehicles that has a running of more than 10,000 kms per year. You just have to pay 1000 INR for whatever accident repair that comes up. And you get a free wash as well ( which in itself is worth 400 INR )
Vehicle stays healthy and your pocket stays healthy as well. In all these 4 years of ownership, I never had to think twice for taking the decision of whether to claim or not. The peace of mind it offers is worth the extra premium.

Quality of work

The boot looks as good as new. Thank you, Nippon Toyota, Kalamassey.

The odo reading is now at 85,000 kms. Zero mechanical complaints till now.

Last edited by amalji : 30th September 2015 at 12:08.
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 21:00   #293
BHPian

Hi Amalji,

Im not sure but, I actually remember seeing a small dent on the boot the other day. You got that fixed along with this?
Old 30th September 2015, 22:24   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Hi Amalji,

Im not sure but, I actually remember seeing a small dent on the boot the other day. You got that fixed along with this?
It's the same dent that I had mentioned about in my previous post. Did the repair only after a few weeks since, I couldn't have spared my car.
Old 8th October 2015, 00:09   #295
BHPian

Hi Amalji,

I have been following your thread on Etios for quite some time. I was confused to decide between Amaze/Dzire/Etios. Your posts helped me a big way in taking the decision and want to thank you for the same. I bought the Etios VXD in June 2015 from DSK Pune.

My Etios has done 10K now and no serious complaints so far. Done its regular 10K service at DSK Pune that costed 2450/-.
Old 10th October 2015, 17:11   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Hudson View Post
Hi Amalji,

I have been following your thread on Etios for quite some time. I was confused to decide between Amaze/Dzire/Etios. Your posts helped me a big way in taking the decision and want to thank you for the same. I bought the Etios VXD in June 2015 from DSK Pune.

My Etios has done 10K now and no serious complaints so far. Done its regular 10K service at DSK Pune that costed 2450/-.
Glad to be of help. Expect just 3500-4000 INR per 10,000 kms service.
Except when you replace your brake pads where you will be spending another 2200 odd. ( which happens every 30,000 - 50,000 kms depending on your driving style )
Old 10th October 2015, 18:18   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Glad to be of help. Expect just 3500-4000 INR per 10,000 kms service.
Except when you replace your brake pads where you will be spending another 2200 odd. ( which happens every 30,000 - 50,000 kms depending on your driving style )
Hi Amalji,

I think my brake pads have worn out! Took the car out for a spin on the bypass this morning, the roads are uneven over there due to excessive heavy vehicle traffic , as a result of which car wouldn't stay in straight line under hard braking. Plus, the brake bite is no where near as new! It's kind of spongy and is not so confidence inspiring now! I also doubt the tyres! The treading in front ones are minimal. Also, I changed only one tyre very recently.
The car is due for 40k service on Monday! Do you think I should ask them to change the brake pads?
Also, it was under smiles from 30-40k
Should I skip smiles for 40-50k?
Old 10th October 2015, 19:53   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Hi Amalji,

I think my brake pads have worn out! Took the car out for a spin on the bypass this morning, the roads are uneven over there due to excessive heavy vehicle traffic , as a result of which car wouldn't stay in straight line under hard braking. Plus, the brake bite is no where near as new! It's kind of spongy and is not so confidence inspiring now! I also doubt the tyres! The treading in front ones are minimal. Also, I changed only one tyre very recently.
The car is due for 40k service on Monday! Do you think I should ask them to change the brake pads?
Also, it was under smiles from 30-40k
Should I skip smiles for 40-50k?
1. Ask them to check the mm of brake pads left. If it's anything less than 2 mm, ask them to replace it. If you have already gotten the symptoms, don't delay it, take it to service asap.
2. Don't skip smiles. It's always an economical option.
Old 11th October 2015, 07:30   #299

Hi Amalji,

I have been following your posts and it has helped me in deciding to buy Liva GD this September. Thanks a lot

You mentioned that NVH is less in newer models, my experience ... it is still too much at speed > 100

Can you suggest anything to reduce NVH ?

I have upgraded to 15" alloy (asked for Toyota alloy used in higher variants) with Bridgestone B290 tyers.
Old 11th October 2015, 09:24   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTF View Post
Hi Amalji,

I have been following your posts and it has helped me in deciding to buy Liva GD this September. Thanks a lot
Glad to be of help

Quote:
You mentioned that NVH is less in newer models, my experience ... it is still too much at speed > 100

Can you suggest anything to reduce NVH ?
I find the etios quiet at 100 kmph cruising speeds. And from 100 kmph to 120 kmph is its sweet spot because the engine speed is so low ( thanks to that tall gearing ). Maybe, you were used to petrol before or your ears are sensitive than me. Anyway, if it's the engine noise which is bothering you, try out synthetic oil during your next service. I use it regularly. If it's the tyre noise, during the next tyre change, use Michelin XM2 or Bridgestone EM series ( not the B series )

One more tip. Music while driving will reduce the NVH distraction.

Quote:
I have upgraded to 15" alloy (asked for Toyota alloy used in higher variants) with Bridgestone B290 tyers.
Tyre noise is on the higher side for B series. I would recommend Bridgestone turanza ER300 for your next tyre change. Upgrading to 15" is a good decision.

Most Viewed