Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 14:15   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: The Devil in Deep Sea Blue : Our BMW X1 Chronicles EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Tell me about it, I've become a Master-Pothole-Dodger in the past 4 months

I've decided to keep the RFTs for a year & then switch to tubeless. Although the problem is, if I do that, I'll have to buy a space saver rim as well, which will eventually lead to rattles in the luggage compartment! Siggghhhh.....

Liked that.

X1's arent that common here sadly. Wont you be able to get those corona rings? Wife hates people who dont use those corona rings! ( so 'if' I am to look at X1,it has to have those!; if)

Hows the ICE and boot space?
Old 21st December 2011, 08:33   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi Suman,

Congrats on the great buy and wish you yet many more happy miles!

Being a bhpian, are you happy with the ICE?
Do you have the option to install your customer ICE?
What about front and back parking-assist systems with the camera, I do not see anything on the consoles?
What about a GPS system, does your X1 have it?

BMW without the headlamp angel-eyes, that's like frying fish without oil! Am bursting into tears!

Is there any specific reason why you chose the petrol version? Dont you miss the i-Drive feature that you would have otherwise got if you'd opted for the diesel version?

I also have a confusion about the X1, is this a 2WD or 4WD? Because the website mentions some amount of off-roading as well.

In between, could you please tag yourself in the photo? Being a distinguished bhpian, it would be nice to see who you are! The same goes for GTO, rehaan etc.

regards,

Nitin

Last edited by nitinbose : 21st December 2011 at 08:38.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 09:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Is there any specific reason why you chose the petrol version? Dont you miss the i-Drive feature that you would have otherwise got if you'd opted for the diesel version?
I guess Suman got the Diesel variant and not the petrol variant.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 09:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
One more aspect you may need to ask your car cleaner to be careful about are the retractable headlight washers in the bumper.
The headlight washers are only available in the Exclusive version (the top end) so that's one less thing I have to worry about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Next Leh trip maybe..? Am planning for Sep 2012 , but subject to getting better tyres for my little monster (Yeti).
Lets talk about that a year down the line.....as I mentioned elsewhere, I have this insane plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
P.S: So how long do you intend to keep this one, expecially given that its a Bimmer.
No idea Anirudha, as of now, 3 years? I'm hoping to win a jackpot within the next three years so that I can replace this with a Land Rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Hows the ICE and boot space?
Quote:
Being a bhpian, are you happy with the ICE?
Do you have the option to install your customer ICE?
JK, boot space is 420 liters vs the 430 in the Fiesta. I was quite apprehensive when I'd gone to pick up some friends from the Airport recently but their bags fitted in without any drama. Two huge suitcases may require some adjusting though.......

As far as ICE is concerned, I must confess that I'm not one of those Bhpians who are very demanding, have always stuck to the OE on my cars. Its the same with this one, I find it quite decent & it can make quite a racket if that's what you're asking!

I wouldn't even try to install my own.

Quote:
What about front and back parking-assist systems with the camera, I do not see anything on the consoles?
Rear park assist is available & the Exclusive version comes with a screen that provides visual assistance as well (courtesy the iDrive).
Quote:
What about a GPS system, does your X1 have it?
Nope.
Quote:
Sorry if that wasn't clear, I thought the pics would have showed - it is the X1 sDrive20d that I have, which is a Diesel. Petrol - sheesh! The iDrive comes only in the Exclusive version but that costs a few lacs more.
Quote:
I also have a confusion about the X1, is this a 2WD or 4WD? Because the website mentions some amount of off-roading as well.
The one that has made its way to our shores is a 2WD version. It has rear wheel drive.
Quote:
In between, could you please tag yourself in the photo? Being a distinguished bhpian, it would be nice to see who you are! The same goes for GTO, rehaan etc.
Slightly confused by this one. The only ones in the pics are me, my wife & the kids or various combinations of the same. Do I really need to tag myself?

I've also attached the X1 brochure which highlights the features of the different versions, hope this will be useful for all.

BMW_X1_Specification_Sheet.pdf

Last edited by suman : 21st December 2011 at 09:48.
Old 21st December 2011, 11:24   #65
Senior - BHPian

I read in 1 of your earlier posts that should you change to tubeless you would have to go for a spare and that would mean rattles in the boot. Would it ?
I mean packing it meticulously and keeping it as a single unit like Flyingspur has done with his 3 would probably solve that issue for you.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

I haven't seen how FS has gone about packing it so can't comment but in the X1, the boot well (if you can call it such) has the battery in it. Thus, any space saver rim & tyre would have to be kept in the main cargo area. It would eat up luggage space & there would really be no way of securing it either (and thus my fear about the rattle).
Old 21st December 2011, 12:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't seen how FS has gone about packing it so can't comment but in the X1, the boot well (if you can call it such) has the battery in it. Thus, any space saver rim & tyre would have to be kept in the main cargo area. It would eat up luggage space & there would really be no way of securing it either (and thus my fear about the rattle).

Hmm i see your point.
IIRC , FS has a few pics of how he has packed and secured the spare and toolkit in his car on his beemer thread so you could maybe refer to it.
Old 21st December 2011, 15:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Hmm i see your point.
IIRC , FS has a few pics of how he has packed and secured the spare and toolkit in his car on his beemer thread so you could maybe refer to it.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2036953

You can refer to that, Suman. It's heavy enough, won't rattle so much to bother you, and I haven't fastened it down. People said I should, but I haven't. And I haven't really had any problems yet. Boot space is always managed.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:02   #69
BHPian

Sumanda
Congratulations on the purchase. Its a German masterpiece. Its such a different feel to drive this level of SUV. I think (and I could be wrong) it does not come with 4WD...but someone as experienced as you probably won't wait before it it is out in the Ladakh region. I read you have a Sept 2012 time frame in mind.
All the best and here is wishing you miles of safe driving.
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 12:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Suman (although late), not sure how i missed this thread. The Beamer in blue looks absolutely cool.

Could you post a picture of the rear seat space when the drivers seat is in its normal (driving position). The seat space does look less but i guess if folks sitting there aren't complaining then its got to be sufficient.

The A.S.S. experience at BMW is the real bright spot when compared to the other luxury brands, hopefully they would continue this way for long so as folks like me get excited in buying a beamer sometime in future.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 22nd December 2011 at 12:18.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:00   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
but someone as experienced as you probably won't wait before it it is out in the Ladakh region. I read you have a Sept 2012 time frame in mind.
Nope, not Sept 2012, that's way too early to start abusing the X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Could you post a picture of the rear seat space when the drivers seat is in its normal (driving position).
The seat is in my normal driving position (pushed fully back) but I guess you are wanting to see what it would be like with a non-six-feet-tall driver? Will post one sometime with the seat in (maybe) my daughter's driving position. My point is, rear legroom is, no doubt, at a premium but not too bad when you compare it with (say) the Fiesta, which is the current workhorse.

A quick update on the mileage, it's getting better & better with the chilly weather, here's what it was showing this morning -
The Devil in Deep Sea Blue : Our BMW X1 Chronicles EDIT: Sold!-22122011364.jpg

Not bad at all for a 177 bhp Devil, eh !

Last edited by suman : 22nd December 2011 at 13:23.
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:47   #72
Senior - BHPian

Of nicks, Potenzas & scratches..........

On the morning of 23rd November, I was returning home after dropping my son to school. Was enjoying the really SILENT drive & occasionally tooting the new horn & cruising down the Expressway. Suddenly, a crack!!!! and I instantly knew what it was - a stone, flung from the rear tyre of a Civic which was a fair distance ahead, on my left. Damn! A really small nick & a bubble! Man, what does one need to do to avoid these stones on the expressway! Even if you steer clear of the trucks, you'll get them from some other car! Went home & took a close look, it wasn't really a crack so it was pointless rushing to the Workshop with it. I decided to show it to them as & when I went in for the tyre change. See the location of the nick, its below the line of vision & more like a really tiny black mark running from North to South -
The Devil in Deep Sea Blue : Our BMW X1 Chronicles EDIT: Sold!-09122011344.jpg

I spoke to the SA the week after & he informed me that the tyres were expected the following week. Called up the GM AS on the 8th of December and he confirmed that the tyre stocks had arrived. He said they would need the car for a couple of days (do they ever do anything in a day!!!) & had the Customer Care lady call me back in a short while to confirm my appointment for the next day (Friday). I also spoke to the SA & he told me that they would try their best to give the car back by mid day on Saturday.

I reached the workshop a little before 9.30 on the 9th & was attended to in about 10 minutes or so. It appeared that my friendly SA was on leave so Sachin (remember the PDI technician?) was asked to get the Job Card ready by the GM AS while Vipin (another technician) carried out the exterior, interior & underbody inspection (he had done it the last time as well). I showed him the nick & he advised that I should just let it be for the time being & replace it only if/when it got bigger. A short while later, I was on my way, I noticed they had mentioned delivery time on the Job Card as the same day, evening. Would be great if they stuck to it!

Sometime in the afternoon, I connected up with Vipin & was told that the tyre changes, realignment & balancing had been completed (Bridgestone Potenzas had been fitted), they had taken a test drive, all was fine and the vehicle would be washed & ready for delivery by 4-4.30. Super!

But I was dependant on one of my colleagues for returning to Gurgaon & I wasn't sure if I would be able to reach the workshop by 5.30-6 (which is when most of them would leave for the day) so I called Vipin back & told him that I'd either be there by 5.30 pm or by 10 am the next day (he would come in by 9.30). 15 minutes later, I received a call from one of his Seniors -
He: Sir, I am Inderjeet, Vipin mentioned that you would be coming to pick up your vehicle either at 5.30 today or 10 am tomorrow?
Me: (guardedly) Yes
He: Sir, can I please request you to come tomorrow at 11?
Me: (on High Alert by now) Why?

So he explained why.....when Vipin went to check the vehicle out after washing, he found a small scratch on the bumper next to the left front fog lamp. Obviously, some smart alec driver would have bumped into something while moving the vehicle back & forth. So they wanted to attend to this scratch & repaint and return the vehicle the next day. What choice did I have!! You'd think that drivers in BMW Dealerships would be more careful than their counterparts at TML or Ford or Maruti but.......Anyway, I'll at least give them this - they were honest & proactive enough to inform me & take prompt action instead of trying to feign ignorance at a later stage. I also spoke to Vipin to get his story - it tied up, he told me Sir, subeh aap jab gaddi diya tha, yeh scratch toh tha nahi, is liye main senior koh point out kiya, is condition mein gaddi kaise wapas karu? They had apparently tried to rub it down initially but there was a faint trace of white showing up from below so painting would need to be done.

I then called up the GM AS just to make sure that it wasn't a bigger damage than what they were telling me. He checked & called me back a couple of minutes later to assure me that it was a faint scratch only & that it would be made good by them overnight. The car would be ready before midday.

I must confess that I spent a restless night, worrying about how big the scratch was, how good a paint job they'd do etc etc etc. Morning came & I was anxiously looking at the clock. Vipin had said that he would call me by 10.30 if he anticipated further delays. 10.30 came & went without a call so it looked like they were on track. Decided to call my SA to see if he was there - he was, he checked & asked me to reach there by noon, car would be ready. Off I went, on tenterhooks!

Reached, one of their drivers was asked to fetch the car & I was summoned after 5 minutes, to check out the tyres & the bumper. Everything seemed fine & there was no visible damage anywhere but I called my driver to check it out thoroughly (he has an eagle eye when it comes to detecting scratches caused by others!) and he confirmed that all was well. Phew!!! I showed the windscreen nick to the SA & he told me that it was pointless changing it, given the size. Also, considering the fact that we get hit by stones almost every other day, it was better waiting till such time that this became bigger or there was another incident. However, it should definitely be replaced before the insurance was up for renewal. I agreed with him. The only paperwork that remained was for them to update the BMW Secure database with the serial numbers of the new tyres.

On the drive home, observed that the left-pulling had disappeared, car was tracking straight. Although a longer drive would be in order to ensure the problem had gone for good, I was relieved. Workshop visits out of the way for a while! A quick look at the Potenzas, don't you just love the look of new tread??
The Devil in Deep Sea Blue : Our BMW X1 Chronicles EDIT: Sold!-10122011346.jpg
The Devil in Deep Sea Blue : Our BMW X1 Chronicles EDIT: Sold!-10122011347.jpg

(Coming soon.......A Pictorial Guide to the X1)

Last edited by suman : 23rd December 2011 at 14:00.
suman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:00   #73
Senior - BHPian

Sumantra da, is it me that i think the the RHS front tyre is mounted in a wrong direction?
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Sumantra da, is it me that i think the the RHS front tyre is mounted in a wrong direction?
Nah, it looks fine to me. Here is a close-up of the RHS front tyre, as you can see, the direction of rotation is fine -
The Devil in Deep Sea Blue : Our BMW X1 Chronicles EDIT: Sold!-23122011366.jpg

(Sheesh, the amount of effort you have to put in to convince people - just kiddin' )
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:52   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nah, it looks fine to me. Here is a close-up of the RHS front tyre, as you can see, the direction of rotation is fine
Aha! Thanks for clearing the doubt

Quote:
(Sheesh, the amount of effort you have to put in to convince people - just kiddin' )
atleast i got you to warm up a bit in "dilli ka sardi" Thanks again for last text message.

Enjoy the Beast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks